More than 1 billion liters of water distributed to drought stricken zones

webfact

More than 1 billion liters of water distributed to drought stricken zones

BANGKOK, 21 April 2016 (NNT) - More than 1billion liters of water have been distributed to local residents nationwide as drought crisis continues to ravage many parts of the country.

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha said during the National Water Resources Committee meeting that the dry season arrived sooner this year. He urged everyone to conserve water until the situation improves.

The Prime Minister, however, expects the country to have more water next year. A total of 27 provinces have already been declared drought stricken zones.

It is said that the extent of damage caused by water shortages this year is less than that in 2014 and 2015. Around 59 million liters of water have been delivered to sustain home consumption in drought hit provinces by the military units and approximately 1.4 billion liters more by the government.

By the end of September, Thailand will see as many as 9,000 ground water wells constructed to ensure sufficient water supplies throughout the summer.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-04-21 footer_n.gif

I am not a lover of the Songkan festivities, having previously lived in Pattaya for 15 years, the fact remains that if not one drop of water had been "splashed" in Pattaya this year it would have made zero difference to the ongoing drought situation which is affecting mainly the North & NE at this time!

More than 1 Billion litres eh?

Well our village lost its tap water supply on the 4th of April.

Not a drop distributed since then.

Every morning I fill a dustbin from the river 5km away, and drive the pickup home slowly. Everybody else does the same. The access point is on government land. (Rural Highways Department). We have been told that from tomorrow "cannot". I suspect that they will start charging us to get to the river, or for tanker delivery.

We'll find some other way. The government, local or national or military are nowhere to be seen.

Every morning I fill a dustbin from the river 5km away, and drive the pickup home slowly. Everybody else does the same. The access point is on government land. (Rural Highways Department). We have been told that from tomorrow "cannot". I suspect that they will start charging us to get to the river, or for tanker delivery.

We'll find some other way. The government, local or national or military are nowhere to be seen.

What exactly is a dustbin?

Meant for dust, but filled with water?

No lid?

What exactly is a dustbin?

Meant for dust, but filled with water?

No lid?

Black plastic waste bin, with a clamp on lid. Stands about 3 feet high, 18 inch diameter. Holds about 80 litres . Sold in Big C.

English for a waste bin or trash bin is "dustbin", a trash collectors vehicle is a "dustcart"

I hope this helps?

It is said that the extent of damage caused by water shortages this year is less than that in 2014 and 2015.
Can someone with insight please explain this - does it mean that damages by drought were worse in 2014 and 2015? Crops destroyed and nothing could be planted was worse in 2014 or 2015 or what?

"By the end of September, Thailand will see as many as 9,000 ground water wells constructed to ensure sufficient water supplies throughout the summer."

By the end of September, many are predicting that Thailand will be in the midst of serious flooding.

Why is this guy always a day late and a dollar short? It really does not speak well for Thailand's future at all. He badly needs chucking out. Seriously.

That really isn't a lot of water.

One billion litres is one million cubic metres, or a metric ton.

The biggest super-tankers that carry crude oil, carry 320,000 cubic metres.

So it's only the same amount as three super-tankers worth. Not a huge amount when it's the total for the whole of Thailand.

Better than nothing, but, it needs to be brought into perspective.

So it's only the same amount as three super-tankers worth. Not a huge amount when it's the total for the whole of Thailand.

Added to which, you can't get a supertanker up the Mekong to Chiang Rai........'cos there's no water!

Boom Boom.

I'll go now....

Added to which, you can't get a supertanker up the Mekong to Chiang Rai........'cos there's no water!

Boom Boom.

I'll go now....

Yes....and don't forget your coat.

Our village water went out back in mid December 2015 and hopefully it will be back in July or August.

The "big" village tessaban supplies water using the 2 fire trucks for free but we can wait up to a month for delivery. The "small" tessaban charges the market rate which used to be 200 baht per 4,000 litre load but the "current" market rate is now 300 baht. The alternative is of course no water.

Archived