Investigation ordered into traffic police activities over ticket fraud

webfact

Investigation ordered into traffic police activities over ticket fraud

BANGKOK, 22 April 2016 (NNT) – The police chief has ordered an investigation into traffic police operations nationwide to ensure operational transparency, in the wake of fraudulent activities allegedly committed by central traffic officers regarding traffic tickets, says the police spokesman.

Deputy Royal Thai Police Spokesman, Pol Maj Gen Piyapan Pingmuang has addressed the findings in cases against four traffic police officers over their involvement in handing out fraudulent traffic tickets, saying that this action is considered a disgrace to the Royal Thai Police as it affects the organization’s honour and good governance principles.

He says the four allegedly guilty officials will initially be suspended from their duties during the period of inspection by a specially established committee, while the officers connected with the act will face both criminal and disciplinary punishments if found guilty.

A nationwide investigation into the activities of traffic police officers will be carried out to expose any similar misconduct.

Regarding the 30 missing ticket books and hundreds of thousands of baht in traffic ticket payments, the deputy police spokesman stated a thorough investigation will determine if any other persons are connected to this case, in addition to the four officers. A civil lawsuit may even be filed against the relevant persons to reclaim the losses.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-04-22 footer_n.gif

Due to the futility of it all I have virtually given up commenting on Thai news, but this story is incredible. How, what and why would they want to investigate a relatively minor fraud committed by police? And then what? Punishment? Inactive posts? Nothing? The chance was, and it was a big chance, that Prayuth was going to "fix" the RTP when he couped the Shins out of power. He could have done it, it was such an incredible opportunity - unlikely to be repeated in our lifetimes. Instead he chose the maintain the status quo and backed the loathsome and hideously corrupt Somyot and now his successor and the rest is history. What a blooming waste.

Corruption in Thailand is like an layered rotten onion, the more you peel the more you find, so if you

don't want to find that a very big wig, influential brass was at the top at this case pyramid, stop looking,

otherwise, you know where you started,, but you never know where and when you finish.....

Ah for the good old days, remember the embarrassing video a long time ago of truck drivers etc throwing notes at police on static check duties so they didn't have to stop and waste time ?

Whatever happened about that or is that a wasted question ?

Ah for the good old days, remember the embarrassing video a long time ago of truck drivers etc throwing notes at police on static check duties so they didn't have to stop and waste time ?

Whatever happened about that or is that a wasted question ?

wasted

Due to the futility of it all I have virtually given up commenting on Thai news, but this story is incredible. How, what and why would they want to investigate a relatively minor fraud committed by police? And then what? Punishment? Inactive posts? Nothing? The chance was, and it was a big chance, that Prayuth was going to "fix" the RTP when he couped the Shins out of power. He could have done it, it was such an incredible opportunity - unlikely to be repeated in our lifetimes. Instead he chose the maintain the status quo and backed the loathsome and hideously corrupt Somyot and now his successor and the rest is history. What a blooming waste.

IMHO, keyline in the OP:

"while the officers connected with the act will face both criminal and disciplinary punishments if found guilty".

If that is true, then it is a step-up from the usual inactive posts that these criminals are sent to whenever they get caught out.

​Where i agree that it is a relatively minor fraud, it still amounted to a couple of hundred thousand baht over a short period of time. Multiple that by each district of each provence in the Kingdom, and that is potentially a large sum of money we are talking.

However, TIT, and it will probably turn into a pipe dream unless the investigation has some means of auditing the official books used to issue the fraudulent tickets, and all other means that the wrong-doers have been using exacting monies by fraudulent means.

Could be interesting, but i think i have lived here long enough to expect too much from spins like this..........................wink.png

The below only a wish or a dream as I do not really believe it myself but let's look at another approach for the sake of discussion...

PM could have made such statement "no reform of the RTP" just to buy himself some time and to make sure said RTP will still "collaborate" when needed without internal rebellion against the military: "hold your friend close and your enemy closer" kind of approach...

He sure did shake the Immigration Department in the last 5-6 months and I can assure you that many officers are pretty scared of making any mistake with validation files for visa extensions, 30% more papers needed this year for Extensions related to work permit..

Several extensions files of people that worked in Thailand for over 10 years have been sent back as "incomplete"

So PM must have been doing something about that part of the RTP...

Could it be that he is starting to move slowly on the actual RTP?

Traffic fines are a big part of RTP job (revenue :) )...

Maybe things could actually be moving.... huh.png

Archived