Savannakhet consulate holidays in May 2016

I have to go to Savannakhet in May to get a Non O Multiple Entry.

Can anybody confirm that the consulate in Savannakhet is closed on the following days in May 2016:

May 5

May 13

What about May 2 and May 6?

I am just trying to get a confirmation to be on the safe side with my planning and because I am a little bit confused why e.g. Penang is - according to this link http://www.thaiembassy.org/penang/contents/files/news-20151217-102212-807415.pdf - closed on May 2 and May 20.

I understand Penang is not close to Savannakhet ;-) but one would expect at least similar holidays for Thai embassy / consulate staff.

Holidays for May as shown on Vientiane website Savannakhet's has last years holidays on it: http://vientiane.thaiembassy.org/en/embassy/calendar.php Penang is different than Laos since it is in a different country with different holidays,

2 May 2016
Substitution for International Labour Day
วันหยุดประจำปี: Lao
5 May 2016
Coronation Day
วันหยุดประจำปี: Thai
9 May 2016
Royal Ploughing Ceremony Day
20 May 2016
Visakha Bucha Day

Thank you ubonjoe.

Looks like I was on a totally different website:

http://www.thaisavannakhet.com/savannakhet/th/consulate/officehours/index.php?month=5&year=2016

They only state May 5 and May 13.

Is that an official website anyway? Looks like.

It is confusing at times ;-)

So on May 3 and May 4 the consulate is open.

Usually that should be enough to get a visa. Apply on May 3 and pick up on May 4.

Any concerns about going there right between all these holidays?

You are right Ubonjoe.

I have concentrated on the "May 2016" title on top of the Savannakhet calendar.

And below it they write about 2015. Did not expect that.

Sometimes they make it confusing ;-)

Never mind.

Thanks again

Eliotness, what's your budget, plenty of horrible cheap places and a few good ones.

Paul, last time I stayed at the Savanah Vegas, 1,000 baht a night - never again, horrible experience. So looking +/- same price but in town, as I want to stay 2 nights and wander round the old town and have some french/lao food and resonably priced beer lao.

The Avalon has been mentioned in several posts as being good. It is near the bus station and within walking distance of the consulate.

Cheers Joe, I'll look them up. Are the required docs the same as last year for a multi entry non O based on marriage - sorry to be a pain, but you seem to have a wealth of knowledge.

The Avalon has been mentioned in several posts as being good. It is near the bus station and within walking distance of the consulate.

Cheers Joe, I'll look them up. Are the required docs the same as last year for a multi entry non O based on marriage - sorry to be a pain, but you seem to have a wealth of knowledge.

Every thing is the same as last year.

I stayed at Avalon 3 weeks ago popular place, they just open a refurbished house there with has added 6 rooms or so. Avalon has 2 cafes, 5 min walk from Savannakhet Bus station and solid 15 min walk to Thai consulate. But not much to do around there area. IF you want things to do you head to down town, staying down town with a place that has a pool is worthwhile. It was hitting almost 40degrees C when I was up there beginning April.

• Like 1

Has anyone got any up to date recommendations for accommodation in Savannakhet ? I've seen ones posted before, but like everywhere things can change. Please !

At Avalon now. Booked the cheapest room but as I was finished handing in visa application by 0930 arrived very early and room wasn't ready. (Check in 1400 so happy to wait) by 1300 they upgraded me to a bigger room. Very comfortable good WiFi. Food ok in their cafe and they have a bar which sells bar snacks too. Friendly staff with good English. Definately worth the money.

• Like 1

I'll be going that way very soon, anyone have experience of 3G AIS (thai) sim coverage in S'vankhet?

Zero coverage. My phone switched to roaming at some point crossing the bridge.

Mine worked the last time I was there but that was few years ago. I found that sometimes it would not work and learned to turn the phone off and back on and it would then work.

I got stuck there over Lao national day, not much to do, but I did manage to get a ride out to the only golf course around and play 9 holes ( couldn't get a taxi back, had to hitch hike). One thing about Savannakhet, is it's tough to find a taxi after about 10 pm, so I ended up walking quite a distance a few nights from the popular night time area back to Avalon.

With all these holidays in May I am thinking about changing my plans and would like to ask you to confirm if my plan is possible.

I know I have asked a similiar question in a topic a couple of months back.

I just want to be sure.

The enter before date of my current Non Immigrant O Mutiple Entry Visa is beginning of March 2016.

At the end of February my wife and I went on a weekend trip outside Thailand so when I came back I got a new stamp (my last stamp) until the end of May.

During the validity of this visa I have been to Chaeng Wattana once and got an extension for visiting my wife for 2 months (not on my current entry of course, it was back in January 2016).

So now I am thinking in order to avoid going to Savannakhet in May with all these holidays ... couldn't I just go to Chaengwattana again and apply for another 2-month extension and then go to Laos in July?

Any concerns about that?

As far as I understood this from your tipps and experiences here on the forum ... on every entry you get/make on a Non Immigrant O Multiple Entry you can apply for a 2 months extension for visting your wife (of course by taking your wife to Immigration with you)

With all these holidays in May I am thinking about changing my plans and would like to ask you to confirm if my plan is possible.

I just want to be sure.

The enter before date of my current Non Immigrant O Mutiple Entry Visa is beginning of March 2016.

At the end of February my wife and I went on a weekend trip outside Thailand so when I came back I got a new stamp (my last stamp) until the end of May.

During the validity of this visa I have been to Chaeng Wattana once and got an extension for visiting my wife for 2 months (not on my current entry of course, it was back in January 2016).

So now I am thinking in order to avoid going to Savannakhet in May with all these holidays ... couldn't I just go to Chaengwattana again and apply for another 2-month extension and then go to Laos in July?

Any concerns about that?

As far as I understood this from your tipps and experiences here on the forum ... on every entry you get/make on a Non Immigrant O Multiple Entry you can apply for a 2 months extension for visting your wife (of course by taking your wife to Immigration with you)

No problem to get a 60 day extension to visit your wife.

Sorry to revive this topic again.

But I am in the process of planning and I have two more questions directly connected with my last post.

1. Could I also just leave Thailand at a land border at the end of May and come back directly? How many days would I get then (German passport)? And before these days are over could I then make the trip to Savannakhet to get a new Non O Multiple Entry based on marriage?

2. Could I also get a 30-day-extension at Chaengwattana because I might only need 30 days before I go to Savannakhet. And then again before these 30 days are up could I go to Savannakhet and get my new mentioned visa?

But I am in the process of planning and I have two more questions directly connected with my last post.

1. Could I also just leave Thailand at a land border at the end of May and come back directly? How many days would I get then (German passport)? And before these days are over could I then make the trip to Savannakhet to get a new Non O Multiple Entry based on marriage?

2. Could I also get a 30-day-extension at Chaengwattana because I might only need 30 days before I go to Savannakhet. And then again before these 30 days are up could I go to Savannakhet and get my new mentioned visa?

Why not get the 60 day extension discussed before. It is the only extension you can get there is no 30 day extension.

You would get 30 days if you did a border hop.

Why not get the 60 day extension discussed before. It is the only extension you can get there is no 30 day extension.

You would get 30 days if you did a border hop.

Just checking my options.

Looks like I don't need 60 days (30 days might be enough) and the two times in the last years that I have been to Chaengwattana with my wife to get a 2-months extension the immigration officials always gave me the feeling as if they had to think about giving me an extension or not. They weren't impolite in any way but both times they gave me the impression as if they were doing me/us a big favor by granting an extension. My wife felt the same. (And yes, we were well dressed and polite ;-) )

Furthermore we might be close to the Cambodian border end of May anyway.

I just want to be sure.

Any concerns about that?

You can only get one extension per entry.

The only holidays after this week and Monday of next week are the last holiday's until the 20th. See Vientiane's holidays. http://vientiane.thaiembassy.org/en/news/announce/detail.php?ID=347