New International Airport to be Built in Lamphun

webfact

New International Airport to be Built in Lamphun
by CityNews

2-1024x693.jpg

CityNews – Plans have been revealed that a new international airport will be built in Lamphun to accommodate more flights, including Boeing 737 and Airbus A380 aircraft, to the north of Thailand.

Lampang Governor, Samart Loyfa, revealed the plans when he was interviewed on the radio about talk about a new international airport being built in Lampang.

He clarified that Lampang was chosen not to have a new international airport as it was too far away from Chiang Mai, so the plans were moved to Lamphun.

The new airport, if given the go ahead, will be called the Queen Jammathewi New International Airport, and will built in the Ban Thi area of Lamphun.

Full story: http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/news/new-international-airport-built-lamphun/

cn.png
-- Chiang City News 2016-04-27

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cheap land must be the motivation I guess, it seems like an odd choice, would have thought East of the city would have offered better accessibility, the Lamphun/Chiang Mai highway is already chocka. I have my doubts this will actually fly.

Cheap land must be the motivation I guess, it seems like an odd choice, would have thought East of the city would have offered better accessibility, the Lamphun/Chiang Mai highway is already chocka. I have my doubts this will actually fly.

Ban Thi district of Lamphun is on top of Sankhampaeng and Sankhampang is east of Chiang Mai. You do not use 11 but would use the 1006.

Somebody's land in any event and I'm guessing that land won't be cheap.

This is not really new news, this has been on and off for ages and as pointed out Ban Thi and Sankhampang basically next to each other. A certain Sin clan are rather big in that area, the may even own some land. The land over in the region is expensive now never mind if this happens. But will it?

This is not really new news, this has been on and off for ages and as pointed out Ban Thi and Sankhampang basically next to each other. A certain Sin clan are rather big in that area, the may even own some land. The land over in the region is expensive now never mind if this happens. But will it?

Not only not new but there are already TWO airports in Ban Thi. GPS 18.6754067732, 99.1117316848. giggle.gif

I don't see a need for a new airport. Who wants to go to Lamphun - touristwise?

It would seem to be a project to serve large aircraft landing in the North, not just for Lamphun alone.

I guess it does raise the question raised already as to is this really needed or just a nice 'cash bunny' for the land owners, who may possibly have contacts/family members in governance....

I don't see a need for a new airport. Who wants to go to Lamphun - touristwise?

It would seem to be a project to serve large aircraft landing in the North, not just for Lamphun alone.

I guess it does raise the question raised already as to is this really needed or just a nice 'cash bunny' for the land owners, who may possibly have contacts/family members in governance....

How dare you accuse influential Thais of abusing their position to line their pockets.

Whatever next.

biggrin.png

The same article says that the Lampang airport also will be expanded to accommodate Boeing 737 and Airbus 380 aircraft. While the Lampang news might be workable for the small 737, there is no way their airport or runways could handle the load of an Airbus 380 (plus, why would there ever be a need to land that behemouth in Lampang?!?).

As to the Lamphun deal, it'll never get approved. It might be wise to plan for a new airport someday that might be between Chiangmai and Lamphun, I'm doubtful it'll exist within the next 20 years (especially when they announced a month or two ago about building a new terminal or large addition to the CNX airport). The Lamphun governor is dreaming.

Meanwhile. from several months back:

CityNews – Chiang Mai Airport will be revamped and expanded so it can handle an increasing number of passengers, it was announced this week.

Chiang Mai Airport is located on 1,650-rai of land, making it the third-largest of Thailand’s regional airports. The expansion will take place in three phases.

The first phase, from 2014 to 2019, will see the expansion of passenger buildings in order to support the increasing number of travellers forecast.

From around 2025, five new airport aprons – where aircraft are parked and boarded – will be added, along with new passenger buildings and a parking lot.

By 2034, the team said, Chiang Mai Airport must be able to support 34 flights per hour and have the capacity to support 20 million people per year, while the warehouse must be able to support 18,500 tons of cargo per year. The airport will also plan routes to solve overcrowding.

http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/news/plans-for-chiang-mai-airport-expansion-unveiled/

Somebody's land in any event and I'm guessing that land won't be cheap.

Interesting to see who owns the land where the new airport is suggested to be sited and all the adjacent land.

Wonder how long that owner(s) have owned it?

...so we will have one airport capable of wide bodies and 34 flights per hour, plus another airport just 70 km away that will be able to accommodate A380s?

Plus Lampang airport for domestic travel using its new terminal opened last Sept..

BTW should Mae Rim decide to open its own airport, my garden is available.

...so we will have one airport capable of wide bodies and 34 flights per hour, plus another airport just 70 km away that will be able to accommodate A380s?

Exactly what is 70 Km away?

Chiang Mai Airport is 70 km away from the proposed Lamphun Airport site.

Or should I say Lampoon Airport?

That would be ol' Yingy and daddy Thaksins land out there. He is the one who originally planned the airport in Ban Thi, then he and his family bought up all the land before he went public with the plans. Or so I heard <cough>

Chiang Mai Airport is 70 km away from the proposed Lamphun Airport site.

Or should I say Lampoon Airport?

Banthi is about 20mn to 25mn away from CNX a bit more if traffic is intense.

Agree. Routing from Lamphun center due north to Tha Phae gate on my GPS (following the roads) is 31 km. Cutting over to San Patong and up 108 is still only 37km. There are a number of options. If it relieves some of the congestion and noise in the city is is worth it. Not many cities plan International Airports in the middle of a city the size of Cnx.

Archived