New International Airport to be Built in Lamphun

webfact

Just like to say I love Lamphun!! 30 mins from CM and nice people..guess that's all going to change !

And for those that have never been there's basically no infrastructure as in Hotels or transport etc. Population is mainly young Thais who most work in the industrial estates in small industrial electronics etc. No real night life but lots of small restaurants and bars and very very few Falang..Although quite noticeable more in the last 3/4 years. Most involved with the factories. One main Disco/ entertainment with live singers and group all Thai and very little English spoken. But as I said I really like the place and would live there tomorrow if things were different for various reasons.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't care where they build a new airport.

But the current airport parking is maxxed out and somedays you can drive around for 30 minutes to get a parking spot and hope when you come back some dick hasn't parked behind you and left his handbrake on.

It's only going to get worse. Put the prices up, build a park and drive, limit the long term Chinese parking there...but do something....quick.

They will wait until its complete chaos using the CM Immigration business model.

Strange that down the length of Hang Dong Road they have just added another metre, in heigh,t onto the existing Airport wall so you cant actually see the landing strip and completey ripped up and re concreted the footpath that runs the entire length of the wall, a few 100 m.In 7 years I dont think I have ever seen that footpath used, its no man's land.

Their priorities never cease to amaze.

I don't care where they build a new airport.

But the current airport parking is maxxed out and somedays you can drive around for 30 minutes to get a parking spot and hope when you come back some dick hasn't parked behind you and left his handbrake on.

It's only going to get worse. Put the prices up, build a park and drive, limit the long term Chinese parking there...but do something....quick.

They will wait until its complete chaos using the CM Immigration business model.

Strange that down the length of Hang Dong Road they have just added another metre, in heigh,t onto the existing Airport wall so you cant actually see the landing strip and completey ripped up and re concreted the footpath that runs the entire length of the wall, a few 100 m.In 7 years I dont think I have ever seen that footpath used, its no man's land.

Their priorities never cease to amaze.

It's pretty close to complete chaos now...then again, Immigration has been that way for several years...so maybe we have a few years to go.

...and yet there is an airport "VIP" car park that remains less than half full, and double parked rows of Hiso park/wait that does nothing to solve the problem.

• 3 months later...

It will go ahead due to the following reasons.

1. Noise pollution in Chiang Mai.

2. Safety reasons flying over such a congested area both north and south.

2. Heavy and other industry moving into the area between CM and Lamphun and to service that due to floods in BKK many years ago.

3. Cash cow for contractors etc.

4. Extra cash for Taxi's.

5. Current airport only has one runway and has over 100 flights a day already and is impossible to do proper maintenance.

Obviously the posters complaining don't live on either end of the ceaseless noise that gets worse every month. (Yah I know why don't you move etc) Save the comment please.

21 hours ago, elephant45 said:

It will go ahead due to the following reasons.

1. Noise pollution in Chiang Mai.

2. Safety reasons flying over such a congested area both north and south.

2. Heavy and other industry moving into the area between CM and Lamphun and to service that due to floods in BKK many years ago.

3. Cash cow for contractors etc.

4. Extra cash for Taxi's.

5. Current airport only has one runway and has over 100 flights a day already and is impossible to do proper maintenance.

Obviously the posters complaining don't live on either end of the ceaseless noise that gets worse every month. (Yah I know why don't you move etc) Save the comment please.

Problems with your reasoning:-

1. Current airport and terminal upgrade was recently announced and will take place over next 15 - 20 years.  Noise pollution affects very few residents and yes I live under the southern t/o path,

2. Urban sprawl around airports is common and occurs even at a recently developed major hub like DXB, arguably the World's busiest.  More industry may require better road and rail transport but has little effect on aircraft movements.

3. Have to find Federal funds.  AOT have already budgeted for long term CNX upgrade.

4. Taxi operators don't build airports

5. Technically 2 runways, 36/18 and recent major works saw 18 used almost exclusively for 6 weeks.  Main runway maintenance is carried out at night during curfew period as per NOTAMS.

21 hours ago, elephant45 said:

Let me add that the current airport offers limited departure and arrival paths and therefor limits flight reliability/safety during bad weather. Its not built in a very sensible place, right next to a mountain range. A real safety issue.

CNX offers many north south flight paths with ample clearance from hills.  Benign weather conditions and low traffic volume probably help to make this one of the safest airports.

CNX was developed as a military airfield and shares with commercial operations.  A new airport will come eventually but as with Bangkok, it may not mean CNX's closure.

no traffic problems here, thank you.  yet.  I don't see Lumphun as being far away at all from Chiangmai, or even far enough away.  And I know Thai don't think long term, but you don't have to and these plans are not just about tourism.  Suwanabumi is 2 meters up and Don Meuang 3, I know these elevations as references because they are easy for me to relate to and I thought they were some way north of Bangkok.... but they ain't. silly? nutty? yeah, well James Hansen must be too then.  good company.   

Kaptairob,

Nothing wrong with my reasoning, its worked quite well for me most of my life. Forums are for opinions based on various thoughts and observations. They are open to all comments. No sense to attack someones "reasoning" because you disagree with another persons observations. I suspect you were/are a commercial pilot.

Thank you....PM me if you want. Also, long term 15,000hr retired pilot.

I would be so happy if this means direct flights from Europe to Chiang Mai! It would mean no more transferring at Suvarnabhumi. That's usually like a 1km+ walk to immigration, and then usually wait like at least an hour for your connecting flight. It keeps being tiring thing to do every time after an 11+ hour flight.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived