Police hunt thugs who brutally attacked British family in Hua Hin

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When tourists visit Thailand especially for the first time they are seen as no more then walking cash dispensers by the Thais. The Thais will try to extract them from their cash by any means possible, cheating, ripping them off and even by intimidation to make them pay up. Problems arise when tourists react to being ripped off and then the Thais that don’t cope well with confrontations, will start over reacting and lose control. Even where I live and the locals that have known me for years will still try to rip me off at every given opportunity only I’m wise to it and then it becomes like a game but it always ends amicably because I know how to deal with these situations. This is all part of the joys of living in paradise. But I have heard even the locals will try to rip each other off so it’s not just me, seems to be a Thai thing.

I do now think Thailand is a dangerous place for tourists and when they come over should keep with the organised tours or at least have an experienced guide or someone that knows the ropes with them when they venture out. Crimes and scams are all too frequent occurrences in Thailand against foreigners and what I think is now on unacceptable levels. There are certain areas and places in Thailand that should be given a red alert for tourists because awareness is the key.

beyond jail time they should remove as many teeth as they kicked out of the brits. that last kick to the face of the brit lady was over the top.

Let a few hard men from the UK be alone with them for an hour. These bunch of spineless wimps wouldnt last a few seconds

When tourists visit Thailand especially for the first time they are seen as no more then walking cash dispensers by the Thais. The Thais will try to extract them from their cash by any means possible, cheating, ripping them off and even by intimidation to make them pay up. Problems arise when tourists react to being ripped off and then the Thais that don’t cope well with confrontations, will start over reacting and lose control. Even where I live and the locals that have known me for years will still try to rip me off at every given opportunity only I’m wise to it and then it becomes like a game but it always ends amicably because I know how to deal with these situations. This is all part of the joys of living in paradise. But I have heard even the locals will try to rip each other off so it’s not just me, seems to be a Thai thing.

I do now think Thailand is a dangerous place for tourists and when they come over should keep with the organised tours or at least have an experienced guide or someone that knows the ropes with them when they venture out. Crimes and scams are all too frequent occurrences in Thailand against foreigners and what I think is now on unacceptable levels. There are certain areas and places in Thailand that should be given a red alert for tourists because awareness is the key.

Bit of an over-reaction. Merely heeding the advice to not slap locals in the face would have prevented this.

(Note to the mouth-foamers - I'm not condoning the way the Thais acted here.)

Well, after 16 seconds in the Video the Farang hits the Thai man passing, discussion starts and on second 52 the English Lady hits the Thai man in the face.

That are the first hits made in the video.

Even the lady hits the man it is not an excuse for a mob to kick the daylight out of others.

I agree that this violence is absolute not done and the boys need to be tracked down by police and get punished.

But after looking several times I can not agree that the tourist where passive and just passing.

Agree!

But most will just see the kick to the woman's face..

From the video (to me), if this lady never hit what appeared to be a drunk Thai man, it may have never ended in 3 Brit's laying unconscious on a Thailand street, looking like they picked the wrong place for a holiday..

When tourists visit Thailand especially for the first time they are seen as no more then walking cash dispensers by the Thais. The Thais will try to extract them from their cash by any means possible, cheating, ripping them off and even by intimidation to make them pay up. Problems arise when tourists react to being ripped off and then the Thais that dont cope well with confrontations, will start over reacting and lose control. Even where I live and the locals that have known me for years will still try to rip me off at every given opportunity only Im wise to it and then it becomes like a game but it always ends amicably because I know how to deal with these situations. This is all part of the joys of living in paradise. But I have heard even the locals will try to rip each other off so its not just me, seems to be a Thai thing.

Excellent post. Don't hang out in bar areas rife with prostitution at 2 o'clock in the morning. They would not do this in Glasgow so why would they in Thailand? Maybe all English should be required to have a guide..same concept as Bhutan

Pussys . I'm sorry but these little mugs wouldn't do this to someone sober or half the age of this family . The tourist industry should be damaged by this as these little rats have been getting away with this for decades

This is beyond belief.

Tourists cannot be subjected to such violence this needs to be send all over the entire world to let people around the Planet see how these gutless disgusting animals treat us foreigners.

Time after time we're robbed, humiliated, murdered, aussaulted, raped, conned and still not enough is done to deter these street gangs or crazy ladyboys from these constant attacks. What's next - kill our children ???

I'm sick of this!!!!

You mean like in Koh Tao?

Disgraceful Thailand. I start to hate this country that I used to love so much. Because of more and more violent news like this.

What is wrong with people?

The only way to avoid things like this is to move way upcountry and find 'old Thailand' like villagefarang has, or leave as I did. 10 years in Cambodia, never seen a hint of anything like this.

That said, as always, one man's meat......

Yep, s##t happens sometimes, had Songkran been celebrated in UK, the hoodies and the chavs would've created more havoc and mindless violence than this. All the "share this with everyone you know" crowd, are you also this enthusiastic about sharing good experiences you may encounter in TH, or do you just enjoy a good whinge?

Actually, you are quite wrong. The notting hill carnival is of equivalent to what happens on Songkran here in Bangkok and much bigger than Hua Hin's songkran effort. Of course incidents have happened, in the past (1980's/early 90's), including stabbings, but it is pretty rare now to have such a problem at these events in the UK. This of course is due to the overwhelming police presence that you would find at such an event and the resources law enforcement of a western country can afford to push at it, is far greater than what can be afforded here in Thailand.

As much as I am disgusted by this video and the actions of these people, this really isn't "an only thai problem", this happens around the world and in some places they would of finished them off by cutting the throats of those lying on the ground. it's shocking, yes share it, tell people to be careful when on holiday, but please measure your responses.

You must let me know the name of the optician who sold you those rose-coloured specs, I could do with some myself. As it is, I'm completely appalled by this video. Those responsible for this attack aren't human let alone Buddhist. They're monsters.

I'm 72yoa now and I've never heard of two elderly people and their young child being beaten unconcious in a public place with a crowd looking on and not intervening.

I've been in Thailand now for nine years and it just seems to be getting worse. I had very high hopes when I first arrived believing in the "Land of smiles" blx. If I wasn't married to a Thai I'd have beggered off years ago.

C'mon you rosie-specs brigade, tell me if I don't like it I don't have to stay here. You lot who try to make light of these things are almost as bad as those who perpetrate them.

10 years a piece in prison, might make them think. It always disgusts me to the pit of my stomach when human beings are so cruel, so spiteful, cowardly, savage and violent. Having lived in Thailand I can tell you, sadly, from all news reports and accounts we all hear of, we can only draw a conclusion that it is a very violent country. I do not like to say this, as I loved living here. But my time I think is slowly coming to an end. I have seen a change and it is one I do not like. It is one of cruelty, violence and basic nastiness. I am sure no one will care, but maybe as more people leave, stop coming here on holiday, they may care, when the money stops rolling in. The violence we keep hearing about against foreigners is simply horrible. Let's not forget Kho Tao and numerous other attacks. It is almost weekly. I feel sorry for the Thai's who do not behave like this. These scumbags bring your country down.

I have a friend who is the quietest, nicest guy you could ever wish to meet. Keeps himself to himself and never upsets anyone. He hardly talks to people and is just one of life's nice people. Once again of an age 50 +. He lived in Hua Hin. For no reason whatsoever, he was attacked by a gang of thugs in Hua Hin, who beat him so badly it has taken over one year to get over his injuries. From the account that was clearly told to me, they tried to kill him with a terrible brutal violent attack and only stopped when they thought they had. I repeat, there was no reason at all for this attack, other than he was a foreigner. It made me sick. I was also told by people who live in Hua Hin out that night in that area, the same evening these three poor tourists were attacked there was a man who had his throat slashed (Thai) and also someone was shooting a gun in the air.

Unless one is the victim of such cowards, one never truly understands how this effects you and the psychological damage in addition, to the physical it causes the victim. I am a great believer there is no excuse for this cowardly behavior and believe people who do it should be locked up for a minimum of ten years. Why ? Because any of the punches or kicks can kill someone. We have all heard these soft talking fools who have never been a victim, almost excuse it and say...oh they were drunk. Oh they did not mean it. Sorry, YES they did mean it and yes they knew exactly what they were doing. They were violent, unstable, nasty cowards. Who had every intention of hurting people. Grow up and take responsibility like a man. You disgust me.

Well, after 16 seconds in the Video the Farang hits the Thai man passing, discussion starts and on second 52 the English Lady hits the Thai man in the face.

That are the first hits made in the video.

Even the lady hits the man it is not an excuse for a mob to kick the daylight out of others.

I agree that this violence is absolute not done and the boys need to be tracked down by police and get punished.

But after looking several times I can not agree that the tourist where passive and just passing.

I have to agree. The Thais were wrong, no doubt, probably very drunk and already agitated as they were fighting amongst each other, but it got worse after the woman started kicking the Thai man. Knowing the hard voices and often brutal display of ourselves as a farang, I can imagine that she didn't contribute at solving the problem. In fact they got what was coming to them.

Nonetheless the attackers have to be punished too. I feel only little sorry for the old couple....

Spineless,cowardly scumbags.Hope you feel proud to be Thai.Congratulations you've just cost your country an untold amount of Baht,in tourist(or lack of)revenue,with your heinous actions....Enjoy your rice porridge.

In Thailand people don't push and shove their way through crowded places,

You obviously have never tried getting on a bus here then, it's a free for all of pushing and shoving to be first on for a seat, or even if the bus is half empty, old people, blind people kids, they don't come into it whistling.gif

Sure there will be exceptions to the rule and probably bus queues is one. But people walking down the street whilst shopping for example is a very different picture.

Last week I was at a market. I was next to my husband, walking pretty close. There was no one beside us, we were looking at tables to our right and walking. There was a metal grate in the ground so I stepped even closer to my husband. A Thai woman came up from behind and pushed me into the grade, hurting my already injured foot more. She brushed up against my husband then cut back to the left, to the other side of the grate, to greet another Thai woman. There was enough room to walk to the left of the grate. Tell us again how Thais will not bump you in a crowd or will apologize.....

Google top news story at the moment .. That sure is going to hurt tourism ?

It's not even on the first page of Google news.

It's on the front page of the Daily Mail. And they are using an edited version that cuts out the Brits throwing the first punch

Make them walk through Manchester City Centre on Derby day in Liverpool shirts and then we'd see how tough they are....

"What a nice Hooligan mentality some people here have."

What if a group of Germans Dutch, Americans, Australians, etc. accidentally wearing Manchester shirts on Derby day walk through Liverpool?

Hooligan hooligan.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caJF78Kjqt8&list=RDcaJF78Kjqt8#t=9

...sure, they are only interested in the effect on tourism...I really despise this country sometimes.

If they were only interested in the effect on tourism they certainly would NOT have released that video

Fair play to Hua Hin Police, they seem determined to catch these animals

There needs to be a better publicized sense of the underground sentiment/evidence of we all know anecdotally: Thais do not like farangs.

They never really have liked foreigners but it's getting worse, particularly amongst the lo-so.

If better surveys were to circulate to really document this apparent fact, perhaps authorities would be more proactive, violence less forthcoming in opportunity and cultural change may take place.

I say this but know that they just do not like us and nothing will change. More gutless assaults to come. That vision was disgusting but there will be some Thais rejoicing the event.

Where are the other 4 POS's? I only see two worthless scumbags have been pictured. Looking at the video, it looks like one of these guys was just looking for a fight. Dumbass!

Why doesn't the gov't send these guys off to military detention for "ruining the reputation of Thailand". That sentence seems to be applied when it serves a purpose.

Beating and murdering tourists if you have the connections and money = fine

Reading 1984 and daring to question us = jail

It amazes to see what people are saying they saw in the video. For effs sake, the Thais were absolutely looking fir a fight with anyone and the tourist barely touched him as they passed. Yes the woman got mad and if she had known better wouldn't have shouted angrily or slapped but THEY DID NOT deserve it.

There needs to be a better publicized sense of the underground sentiment/evidence of we all know anecdotally: Thais do not like farangs.

They never really have liked foreigners but it's getting worse, particularly amongst the lo-so.

If better surveys were to circulate to really document this apparent fact, perhaps authorities would be more proactive, violence less forthcoming in opportunity and cultural change may take place.

I say this but know that they just do not like us and nothing will change. More gutless assaults to come. That vision was disgusting but there will be some Thais rejoicing the event.

I don't think the fact that they were farangs had much to do with this at all.

From a local Hua Hin forum:

"6 Thai men in custody, CCTV footage has FINALLY been submitted to the court.

All these men known by H.H. Mib..all from 'powerful' Hua Hin families...

..I will not say to much here, but the handling of this case has many similarities to what you've all heard about

regarding the Kho Tao investigations..."

Says it all...

Archived