BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

Ending slavery in Thailand needs local solution and unions, activist says

Ending slavery in Thailand needs local solution and unions, activist says
BY ALISA TANG

BANGKOK (Thomson Reuters Foundation) - The fight against slavery in Thailand's multibillion-dollar seafood industry will fail unless solutions are "localized" and workers are granted the rights to freedom of association and collective bargaining, a prominent British activist said.

Thailand's reputation has suffered in recent years after numerous investigations by news organizations and rights groups into human trafficking, slavery and violence in its seafood industry.

The country, which has been politically unstable for a decade and is currently under military rule, has vowed to crack down on human trafficking and slavery, and recently introduced reforms to its fisheries law.

Full story: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-humantrafficking-thailand-unions-idUSKCN0XO26L

reuterslogo.jpg
-- Reuters 2016-04-28

For real change and sincere attempts to make changes a whole different mindset is needed. Respect for life and dignity is part of that. To many in charge lifes do not matter when profits can be made. And as the profits are huge, violence and slavery will remain integral part of the business.

These problems says a lot about the Thai elites. Some of them are probably decent enough people and some are quite the opposite .

As a dreaded "farang", I don't pretend to have any expertise on what is needed to solve this blight on Thailand. It certainly needs local solutions, but I can't see that unions are part of the answer. To be effective, trade unions need two things. The first is the ability to undertake industrial action when all else fails. Would the powerful families controlling these industries and/or the government allow this? I think not. The second is an inclusive membership where all workers are considered equal. Would the average Thai workers in these industries consider themselves the equal of their Burmese, Khmer or Laos counterparts and vote to undergo hardship or go on strike to support them? I know not.

I was a white slave once!!

I made it to retirement!

I was a slave to the military, many large Corporations, banks and two ex-wives.

It probably would have been easier working on a fishing boat. I like fishing and being outdoors!cheesy.gif

Hard to fix a problem you can't see.coffee1.gif

Thailand's reputation has suffered

The suffering of an "abstract construct" will not prompt changes, the collective suffering of select pocket books will prompt changes.

Ending slavery will happen when corruption is dealt with. Even with the best laws, if the police are corrupt, nothing will happen. Just brown envelopes under the table.

U gotta love this. Slavery (sla-ve-ry!!!) still rampant here anno 2016. facepalm.gif

slavery_01.jpg

U gotta love this. Slavery (sla-ve-ry!!!) still rampant here anno 2016. facepalm.gif

slavery_01.jpg

Review your history, the great pyramids were not built by slaves.
Recent archaeological excavations have recently learned that the reality was probably much different. At that time, the majority of workers were not slaves, but rather workers and artisans paid by the Pharaoh.

I made it to retirement!

It probably would have been easier working on a fishing boat. I like fishing and being outdoors!cheesy.gif

You poor bastardfacepalm.gif

I made it to retirement!

You poor bastardfacepalm.gif

Whilst funny and tongue in cheek, there is a slight difference there old chap. You had the opportunity to walk away.

slavery_01.jpg

Review your history, the great pyramids were not built by slaves.
Recent archaeological excavations have recently learned that the reality was probably much different. At that time, the majority of workers were not slaves, but rather workers and artisans paid by the Pharaoh.

It's just a pic ... don't take it/yourself so seriously. The underlying "moral" is important ;-)

ps. I'm sure the pyramids were built by aliens and used as beacons for their spaceships. cheesy.gif