'America First' – Trump outlines his foreign policy plan

webfact

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. The US doesn't "owe China money." China buys USD in the form of US treasuries so that it can engage in international trade. The USD is the official unit of international trade and NO one will accept Chinese currency for payment of goods or services.

2. If China wanted to sell its USD treasuries it would be out of the trade biz the next day and it is a trade economy - exports.

3. The US Fed can't just "print money" as that is illegal under US law. The Fed sells bonds to raise more money and thus there is the national debt. There would be no debt if they just "printed money" when they need it.

4. There is a liquid global market for US treasuries which outstrips supply. Thus the ability to sell them at little or no interest. They are considered a safe place to park money.

5. IF THE US WANTED TO HURT CHINA it would refuse to sell it treasuries and starve it for USD and crash its import/export biz. That's part of what sanctions are sometimes as happened to Russia.

6. The US is the largest buyer of Chinese exports and any slowdown there would hurt China badly and not the other way around. You can't afford to lose your best customer.

I don't know where some people get their ill-informed NOTIONS but they seem to pass them around like a bottle of warm cheap beer.

Source: I was an international banker for a large US bank for much of my career.

Cheers.

what does america use to pay for chinese goods?

USD - the unit of international trade.

If everyone doesn't use the same currency you get caught in exchange rate swings.

Trump's put “America First” contradicts his "Make America Great Again."

When pressed to identify when America was great previously, Trump pointed to the Republican administration of President Eisenhower (1953-1961).

The main foreign policy of Esienhower was to contain the USSR during the Cold War. This necessitated extensive foreign aid, grants, debt forgiveness and military mobilization to enhance foreign nations, ability to withstand the Soviet economic and military threats. Exactly the opposite of Trump's current policy.

Trump is a businessman and basically wants to run the country like the CEO and majority shareholder of a corporation. His return on investment is solely money.

Not a bad idea if he can get the government to balance the budget, get rid of the national debt, etc. I love Buffett's proposal.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/43670783

"I could end the deficit in five minutes. You just pass a law that says that any time there's a deficit of more than three percent of GDP, all sitting members of Congress are ineligible for re-election. Yeah, yeah, now you've got the incentives in the right place, right? (Laughs)

1. The US doesn't "owe China money." China buys USD in the form of US treasuries so that it can engage in international trade. The USD is the official unit of international trade and NO one will accept Chinese currency for payment of goods or services.

2. If China wanted to sell its USD treasuries it would be out of the trade biz the next day and it is a trade economy - exports.

3. The US Fed can't just "print money" as that is illegal under US law. The Fed sells bonds to raise more money and thus there is the national debt. There would be no debt if they just "printed money" when they need it.

4. There is a liquid global market for US treasuries which outstrips supply. Thus the ability to sell them at little or no interest. They are considered a safe place to park money.

5. IF THE US WANTED TO HURT CHINA it would refuse to sell it treasuries and starve it for USD and crash its import/export biz. That's part of what sanctions are sometimes as happened to Russia.

6. The US is the largest buyer of Chinese exports and any slowdown there would hurt China badly and not the other way around. You can't afford to lose your best customer.

I don't know where some people get their ill-informed NOTIONS but they seem to pass them around like a bottle of warm cheap beer.

Source: I was an international banker for a large US bank for much of my career.

Cheers.

Well put. Amazing how many don't seem to understand this. Same with Saudia Arabia. It'd hurt them much more than the US if they sold off their bonds.

Cheers.

what does america use to pay for chinese goods?

USD - the unit of international trade.

If everyone doesn't use the same currency you get caught in exchange rate swings.

and that is why china has usd, it doesnt have to buy them.

keemapoot, yes, but you do accept though, Trump is going to hurt China more than Hillary Clinton ?

Surely ?

Trump will hurt China, and at the same time shoot US industry, US competitiveness, GDP, and consumers in the foot in the process. Hilary will pursue nominally hawkish diplomatic policies, but for sure will continue the deep trade practices.

In essence, Trump knows jack squat about China or international trade, and Hilary is highly knowledgeable and will attract the best talent to pursue a rational policy. I don't like Hilary, but agree she has the brain cells to deal with China.

Several Potus have put America first by letting CCP play with their monopoly game currency. CCP have over time had to appreciate their currency toy but that's not been a big deal to 'em (until recently).

CCP have put their PRC first by buying US Treasuries and other corporate bonds in the USA. It gives 'em cash to control their currency. With CCP keeping the yuan/rmb off the market and off a free float, CCP can have their fun and games.

US has put America first by importing a lot from CCP so CCP could put people to work beneficial to the USA, and also to buy USD to fatten its forex reserve and say to other countries CCP are rich and powerful cause they have big USD bucks.

It is a mutuality which is what interdependent international relations are about. There are a proliferation of mutualities omitted here. That is, globalisation.

Fortunately for the USA and for everyone else everywhere else, there is no mutuality between the wild radical Donald Trump and the vast mainstream of the moderate and balanced American electorate that has already made clear they reject Trump decisively.

Several Potus have put America first by letting CCP play with their monopoly game currency. CCP have over time had to appreciate their currency toy but that's not been a big deal to 'em (until recently).

CCP have put their PRC first by buying US Treasuries and other corporate bonds in the USA. It gives 'em cash to control their currency. With CCP keeping the yuan/rmb off the market and off a free float, CCP can have their fun and games.

US has put America first by importing a lot from CCP so CCP could put people to work beneficial to the USA, and also to buy USD to fatten its forex reserve and say to other countries CCP are rich and powerful cause they have big USD bucks.

It is a mutuality which is what interdependent international relations are about. There are a proliferation of mutualities omitted here. That is, globalisation.

Fortunately for the USA and for everyone else everywhere else, there is no mutuality between the wild radical Donald Trump and the vast mainstream of the moderate and balanced American electorate that has already made clear they reject Trump decisively.

they buy the treasuries with the us dollars they already have

China is the biggest holder of US debt owning $1.3 trillion of US treasuries. So, China is America's biggest creditor. And, around 20% of all products one can buy in the US are made in China, both by Chinese and American-owned factories in China.

So, Trump is going to improve relations with China by getting tough on them? Trump is going to tell America's biggest creditor and it's biggest supplier to go pound sand? cheesy.gif Oh, and by the way, he'll get tough on them to control that little fat boy in N. Korea too.

Sounds brilliant.

China is not the biggest holder of US debt. US citizens are the largest holders of US debt. 67% of the US debt is held by the American people, with Social Security be the debt holder. US nationals are deluded if they don't appreciate the danger of lending to themselves. China holds around 7% of US debt. Meanwhile US stock companies and its large pension funds have large amounts invested in China. Most US nationals do not appreciate that either.

For the last few decades, American jobs have fled to China and Mexico. This is not a good thing for America. China doesn't play fair and reciprocate in every way with free trade. They rip the US off.

Trump does huge biz in many countries and does indeed understand international markets. What the US has been doing all of these years especially since NAFTA has produced ghost cities in the US where there used to be good middle class jobs. BIG CORPORATIONS are the main benefactor of this ripoff trade because they can buy things made with cheap labor and bring them into the US without penalty and sell them for a big profit.

In fact, many of the things that are made with cheap labor abroad didn't get cheaper for the US consumer. I give you Nike shoes and clothes and Apple computers and smartphones.

All of this is moot, but I just want people to know that the US doesn't just "print money" and the US doesn't "owe China money" and the US is China's biggest export buyer which puts the US in the driver's seat if it would just DRIVE. "Sanctions" that are put on countries for such things as Chinese money manipulation arrive in the form of freezing access to USD and by refusing to buy or sell, or limit the amounts. All of this happened to Russia and Russia is in the tank.

I say it's moot because Trump is going to be the next President of The United States. End of.

Cheers.

For the last few decades, American jobs have fled to China and Mexico. This is not a good thing for America. China doesn't play fair and reciprocate in every way with free trade. They rip the US off.

Trump does huge biz in many countries and does indeed understand international markets. What the US has been doing all of these years especially since NAFTA has produced ghost cities in the US where there used to be good middle class jobs. BIG CORPORATIONS are the main benefactor of this ripoff trade because they can buy things made with cheap labor and bring them into the US without penalty and sell them for a big profit.

In fact, many of the things that are made with cheap labor abroad didn't get cheaper for the US consumer. I give you Nike shoes and clothes and Apple computers and smartphones.

All of this is moot, but I just want people to know that the US doesn't just "print money" and the US doesn't "owe China money" and the US is China's biggest export buyer which puts the US in the driver's seat if it would just DRIVE. "Sanctions" that are put on countries for such things as Chinese money manipulation arrive in the form of freezing access to USD and by refusing to buy or sell, or limit the amounts. All of this happened to Russia and Russia is in the tank.

I say it's moot because Trump is going to be the next President of The United States. End of.

Cheers.

lol! the so called free enterprise country is going to tell american companies they cant buy chinese goods with us dollars??

China is the biggest holder of US debt owning $1.3 trillion of US treasuries. So, China is America's biggest creditor. And, around 20% of all products one can buy in the US are made in China, both by Chinese and American-owned factories in China.

So, Trump is going to improve relations with China by getting tough on them? Trump is going to tell America's biggest creditor and it's biggest supplier to go pound sand? cheesy.gif Oh, and by the way, he'll get tough on them to control that little fat boy in N. Korea too.

Sounds brilliant.

China is not the biggest holder of US debt. US citizens are the largest holders of US debt. 67% of the US debt is held by the American people, with Social Security be the debt holder. US nationals are deluded if they don't appreciate the danger of lending to themselves. China holds around 7% of US debt. Meanwhile US stock companies and its large pension funds have large amounts invested in China. Most US nationals do not appreciate that either.

Yup, I posted that quickly and then corrected it a few posts later, that China is the largest foreign holder of US debt. And, indeed, as you correctly state, many huge pension funds, including CalPERS (California public employees pension fund with 1.6 million employees), not only have large amounts invested in public companies in China, but are also heavily invested in many, many private equity funds which invest in companies that do business primarily or largely in China.

I happen to know a lot about this last point, as I have had some of the funds, including CalPERS, as investors, and they invested in China-driven businesses.

So, that under Trump's plan, the pension funds of school teachers in California will see significant erosion of value. Lots and lots of unintended consequences under this Bozo Trump.

Publicus, stay away away from this "Replying to 'America First' - Trump outlines his foreign policy plans" thread/issue/topic.

YOU have constantly put up anti-China posts AND also anti-Trump posts. We all know that Trump will hurt China more than Hillary will. We all know that Hillary will continue the policy that America has had for a quarter of a century. A policy of stacking Walmart's shelves with cheap Chinese goods.

Three presidents have done this policy, they are Bill Clinton (Hillary's husband), George Bush, and Barack Obama. And Hillary will continue the same policy. In my opinion, this benefits America. But I still want to see a debate between pro-Trumpers and anti-Trumpers regarding American foreign policy. Stop confusing people by blasting China AND also blasting Trump.

We need a debate where we know what is what, without you confusing the situation.

When pressed to identify when America was great previously, Trump pointed to the Republican administration of President Eisenhower (1953-1961).

The main foreign policy of Esienhower was to contain the USSR during the Cold War. This necessitated extensive foreign aid, grants, debt forgiveness and military mobilization to enhance foreign nations, ability to withstand the Soviet economic and military threats. Exactly the opposite of Trump's current policy.

Trump is a businessman and basically wants to run the country like the CEO and majority shareholder of a corporation. His return on investment is solely money.

The first important foreign policy move of Eisenhower was to get the US out of the Korean War.

Publicus, stay away away from this "Replying to 'America First' - Trump outlines his foreign policy plans" thread/issue/topic.

YOU have constantly put up anti-China posts AND also anti-Trump posts. We all know that Trump will hurt China more than Hillary will. We all know that Hillary will continue the policy that America has had for a quarter of a century. A policy of stacking Walmart's shelves with cheap Chinese goods.

Three presidents have done this policy, they are Bill Clinton (Hillary's husband), George Bush, and Barack Obama. And Hillary will continue the same policy. In my opinion, this benefits America. But I still want to see a debate between pro-Trumpers and anti-Trumpers regarding American foreign policy. Stop confusing people by blasting China AND also blasting Trump.

We need a debate where we know what is what, without you confusing the situation.

He has some good points. America (mostly) plays fair with China. China puts up so many barriers that it's extremely difficult for foreign countries to do business there. Just like here in Thailand. IMHO, the rules should go both ways. Here's what China does:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-36157052

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-china-seeds-idUSKCN0X80D6

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/cyber-espionage-norways-intelligence-chief-accuses-china-stealing-military-secrets-1546879

http://www.renewableenergyworld.com/articles/2016/01/60-minutes-investigates-chinese-cyber-espionage-in-wind-industry.html

All supported and sponsored by the government. Hard not to bash....Trump aside. LOL

Cheers.

And who owns the Federal Reserve ?

US economic rehabilitation depends on worldwide natural resources. Not the Chinese Wallmart electronic appliances.

For sure, the future US foreign policy plan isn't designed and engineered by Trump or any other presidential candidate...

Even a financial plan to rescue the huge interests to the Federal Reserve will not be on his desk.

Cheers !

Not a bad idea if he can get the government to balance the budget, get rid of the national debt, etc. I love Buffett's proposal.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/43670783

"I could end the deficit in five minutes. You just pass a law that says that any time there's a deficit of more than three percent of GDP, all sitting members of Congress are ineligible for re-election. Yeah, yeah, now you've got the incentives in the right place, right? (Laughs)

Unfortunately....

There is no balanced budget provision in the U.S. Constitution, so the federal government is not required to have a balanced budget. Several proposed amendments to the U.S. Constitution would require a balanced budget, but none have been passed. Most of these proposed amendments allow a supermajority to waive the requirement of a balanced budget in times of war, national emergency or recession. (Wikipedia)

There are just as strong arguments for federal deficits as against - Government deficits, by definition, create private sector wealth, while surpluses drain it.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johntharvey/2012/07/18/why-you-should-love-government-deficits/#65ffbc8e1351

For any people to prosper, they must continually produce "New Wealth." We've all heard the saying that a bunch of guys can't stand in a circle with their hands in each others' pockets and all get rich. They have to bring in New Wealth to improve their collective lot.

New Wealth can be produced by manufacturing, and at many stages. It's produced when iron ore is mined from the ground. It's increased when the ore is processed into steel. It's increased when that steel is shaped into raw materials that people will buy. It's increased when that new steel is made into a new car or refrigerator.

All along the line many people get part of that New Wealth. The truckers that haul it and the people that made those trucks. The people who build the manufacturing plants. The people who work at the utility companies and the advertisers who sell. The workers on the assembly lines and the sales people and the mechanics who keep it all running...

THIS is a sustainable economy but we've sent too much of it to China and Mexico and they've made the New Wealth from it. It has to stop if America is going to prosper again.

Cheers.

Trump will be the next president of the US by a landslide.

What about ISIL?

Their days are numbered,” Trump said, “I won’t tell then when and I won’t tell them how.”

Despite the anti-muslim tone of his campaign to date, Trump pledged to work closely with US allies in the Middle East to combat extremism.

“Containing the spread of radical Islam must be a major foreign policy goal of the United States and indeed, the world,” he said.

What an uncredible simpleton !

Although the idea isn't bad, but how to solve this problem in reality? To fight religion or religious terrorists by weapons? This is only one example showing that he is completely incapable of fulfilling the required job. Reducing the public debt to zero within 8 years is onother one.,... and so on … and so on.

Old Russia failed to „eliminate“ the Taliban in Afghanistan (and Pakistan). The USA, too. The USA have been unable to stabilise the region in the ME after the disastrous and fabricated Iraq War.

And this silly boy would like to tempt fate resulting in the same disaster ?

Reminds me „GOP“ president G.W. Bush. Mr. Trump, Not only I, but the overwelming majority of the people in the civilised world, wish you: (presidental) mission accomplished, with the same result we all know.

“The countries we defend must pay for the cost of this defence. If not, the US must be prepared to let these countries defend themselves. We have no choice.”

I'm curious when Presidential candidates make this type of announcement, are they required to provide analysis from the relevant government department/s on the pros and cons on the impact on the US economy? e.g. security for the global supply chain supporting US trade.

I think it's fair - if the US is asked to defend someone, risking their soldiers lives - they should not have to pay the bill...

Think about it from the perspective of veterans, other countries could be asked to pay towards veteran organisations for instance.

I don't see why it should be free at all.

"China is the biggest holder of US debt owning $1.3 trillion of US treasuries. China is America's biggest creditor. "

So in theory, if China wanted to cripple the US all they had to do was to make it go bankrupt .....

yeah, sure, you go and rough them up Mr. Trump....

coffee1.gif

Not quite that easy. Total debit is around 13 trillion, so it's less than a 10th of the total. They're the largest foreign holder of debt.

I would wager that if China dumped every bit of its US sovereign debt in the space of a month the Bond market wouldn't move even 5%.

China and the US have a symbiotic relationship.

China would be shooting itself in the foot to try to hurt the US economy.

The main beneficiary of that policy has been US Corporations. Who pocket the lower cost manufacturing in increased gross margin ... which they then try to avoid paying taxes on. Is the quality of life for the US consumer better because the have a cheaper iPhone are a few extra t-shirts they bought at Walmart. Very debatable point.

“The countries we defend must pay for the cost of this defence. If not, the US must be prepared to let these countries defend themselves. We have no choice.”

I'm curious when Presidential candidates make this type of announcement, are they required to provide analysis from the relevant government department/s on the pros and cons on the impact on the US economy? e.g. security for the global supply chain supporting US trade.

I think it's fair - if the US is asked to defend someone, risking their soldiers lives - they should not have to pay the bill...

Think about it from the perspective of veterans, other countries could be asked to pay towards veteran organisations for instance.

I don't see why it should be free at all.

One presumes US administrations solely act in the US national interest when deciding to contribute funding for defense of allies. I assume, aside from purely political outcomes, there is a holistic analysis of benefits to the US.

Hopefully Trump's advisors, on foreign policy matters relating to defense spending, review position papers such as the one below.

http://www.rand.org/content/dam/rand/pubs/research_reports/RR200/RR201/RAND_RR201.sum.pdf

Apparently this is the guy running Trump's foreign policy team, issues and statements such as the cliched "address" Trump gave the other day. Paul Manifort.

America first has quickly come to mean Trump last. Which is anyway where Donald Trump will finish in the general election voting November 8th.

"Paul Manafort made a career out of stealthily reinventing the world’s nastiest tyrants as noble defenders of freedom. Getting Donald Trump elected will be a cinch.

“His work necessarily entails secrecy. Although his client list has included chunks of the Fortune 500, he has also built a booming business working with dictators… Manafort had a special gift for changing how dictators are beheld by American eyes. He would recast them as noble heroes—venerated by Washington think tanks, deluged with money from Congress.”

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2016/04/paul_manafort_isn_t_a_gop_retread_he_s_made_a_career_of_reinventing_tyrants.html

Archived