Thailand Elite Long Stay Visa Membership Privileges

The cost of this visa is about the same as a single business class flight to Europe once a year. Of course there would be additional 90 days travel required without the PE visa.

When I heard about this easy access scheme I cancelled my travel plans back to the UK for another yearly triple entry visa and signed up immediately and I haven't stepped foot on a plane since.

Now they've cancelled the triple entry visa all around the world I see that my previous plan would not have continued to work but as I have the PE visa this is irrelevant.

Triple entry was replaced with Multi-Entry. At least for some countries (have not personally verified all). I just came from Europe and am on a Multi Entry visa right now. However the ME (usually/always?) requires you to prove you are gainfully employed (and sometimes a resident of the country you are applying in). A quick check of Hull, UK shows they still offer a ME, which may (or may not) be of use to you.

The cost of this visa is about the same as a single business class flight to Europe once a year. Of course there would be additional 90 days travel required without the PE visa.

When I heard about this easy access scheme I cancelled my travel plans back to the UK for another yearly triple entry visa and signed up immediately and I haven't stepped foot on a plane since.

Now they've cancelled the triple entry visa all around the world I see that my previous plan would not have continued to work but as I have the PE visa this is irrelevant.

Sorry, I have to ask - you pay about 500,000 Baht for 1 return business class ticket to Europe?

Apologize in advance if I've misinterpreted your meaning.

Sorry, I have to ask - you pay about 500,000 Baht for 1 return business class ticket to Europe?

One flight a year for five years at around 100,000 Baht per trip = 500,000 Baht.

I'm obviously taking a longer term view on this.

One flight a year for five years at around 100,000 Baht per trip = 500,000 Baht.

I'm obviously taking a longer term view on this.

I knew I was missing something. Thanks. Cheers.

Just found this link: http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/tourism-and-transport/949165/thailand-elite-card-plans-premium-service-upgrade

It looks like they are trying to showcase the Thailand Elite card as *less* a way to get a Visa, and more of a Perky-Membership-Elite-Status card for people who happen to come to Thailand often. Sadly, the costs of those perks are so high they have to recoup them from the membership fees. Which means the bulk of the membership fees are going to services that one would have no interest in if they are only interested in the PE Visa.

Given the low number of people reported to have it, I wonder if there is a market for offering the PE Visa as a stand alone / separate offering at a much lower entry point (perhaps by a different company or by the Thai Government itself).

If the Thai Government is reading this and wants to make some cash:

1) Offer PE Visa At 40k/year.

2) Make lots of money.

Thank you.

Just found this link: http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/tourism-and-transport/949165/thailand-elite-card-plans-premium-service-upgrade

It looks like they are trying to showcase the Thailand Elite card as *less* a way to get a Visa, and more of a Perky-Membership-Elite-Status card for people who happen to come to Thailand often. Sadly, the costs of those perks are so high they have to recoup them from the membership fees. Which means the bulk of the membership fees are going to services that one would have no interest in if they are only interested in the PE Visa.

Given the low number of people reported to have it, I wonder if there is a market for offering the PE Visa as a stand alone / separate offering at a much lower entry point (perhaps by a different company or by the Thai Government itself).

If the Thai Government is reading this and wants to make some cash:

1) Offer PE Visa At 40k/year.

2) Make lots of money.

Thank you.

If the aim of the Thailand Elite program is to bring wealthy visitors to Thailand, why would anyone think about offering the PE visa for peanuts?

On the other hand, I do agree that the government should charge for other types of visas. It would be a good idea to sell 1 year visas with no privilege at all, and crack down on all types of abuses (Students, etc...) while making money at the same time.

But a "normal 1 year visa" (for 40,000) would still require visits at immigration, paperwork, queues, etc... so what's the point?

One cannot expect to receive the benefits of being a Thailand Elite member for a ludicrous amount.

Edited by gerry1011
  • Like 1

Quoted from Gerry1011

- Having them get a trouble less long term visa, and easily.

JB> Yes, this is a benefit of a PE Visa (if we were to extract the 'PE' Visa part of the Thailand Elite Program)

- Allowing them to come in and out as often as they want.

JB> This is already do-able on visa-on-arrival/30-day visas (For the frequent people who come in and out often). Therefore only

a benefit to those who stay longer than 30 days

- Having them feel welcome each time they come back.

JB> Okey, here it gets a bit iffy. I'm not sure I should pay 500k for a Thailand Elite so I can feel 'welcome' each time I come :) And going through immigration is not a horrific experience where I'm prodded with hot irons. (It normally takes walking time + 10 mins of queuing)

- Offering them assistance when needed.

JB> This may already be covered by credit cards (those of us with AMEX (Black, Plat, Gold) or I think with Visa get all sorts of concierge services as it is (which probably does a lot more than what Thailand Elite does).

- Welcoming them in style and offer comfortable transports.

JB> As mentioned above, not sure I really want to pay for someone to come say welcome to me. I certainly don't feel the need to be welcomed by someone I pay. I'd rather spend that money and buy a friend a round of drinks when he comes back, knowing that he would do the same when I return... that's a more meaningful 'welcome' back. As for 'comfortable transport', I think we can still hire limo easily at airport to go where we want (Although I would take airport link as its faster than Bangkok traffic).

- Eliminating all queues and paperwork.

JB> The queues are usually very short (10min or so). So not a big issue. Plus if I'm travelling with my GF I just go line up near the one she goes through (or sometimes go with her, unclear on that as sometimes they say yes, sometimes they say no). In either case, not a big issue for me. The paperwork is annoying, yes (for the visa). For the arrival/departure slip it's not an issue -- gives me something to do on the plane.

- Etc...

The goal is to make these high(er) spenders come back, as often as possible, and for as long as possible, so that they spend money in Thailand rather than other countries. Very smart idea.

JB> It's a good idea in theory. In practice, the numbers show its not working. The crux is that if you ignore the PE visa, you're paying 500k/5 years for a card that gives you a few perks (which, if you are a high roller, are probably already covered for you with your credit card or first class ticket or hotel). And if you are a high-roller that is coming often there's a fair possibility you are not here for more than a month (and therefore do not even need anything other than a visa-on-arrival)

It really looks like this TE Visa would appeal far more on the PE Visa side of things than on the Perk side of things. And for the PE Visa side of things it would then only appeal to those who want to stay longer than 30-days each time and are willing to pay 500k+ for the privilege. And as the numbers show, that's not a huge market.

(Side Note: If you really are a high-roller from the Asian countries, chances are you have a secretary/PA who can file the paperwork for a METV for you, which will grant you unlimited entry for 6 months. Not that its a humongous task. And that diminishes even more the value of the PE Visa for those who go in/out. Perhaps why they are trying to beef up the Perk side of TE because they realize the PE side is not being overly used).

For me I am applying for a card right now but I usually travel with my partner so the fast track service is pretty much a no go. My partner has a work permit and it is obvious he isn't going to pony up 500K just so he can be fast tracked with me. I am buying the visa because I am really out of any other reasonable options and I can justify this but just barely. As others have said if there was any alternative available to me I wouldn't do it. I am sure there are a few others that are less than thrilled but pony up as I have had to do.

Imagine the prestige of a business man from China bragging to all of his friends how he can get whisked through and then in the same breath explaining to them in order for them to join him they should all put up $15,000. I am sure they would be begging to get one considering as others have said they will get fast tracked anyway.

Anyway how does Elite handle the baggage? Could I at least check in both of our bags, get fast tracked through immigration and potentially save a few minutes waiting for bags? For me this will be the only perk I get from this before I get my own taxi as my partner can not join me. As others have said what if their significant other is Thai? This aspect of the program as actually in very bad taste. So if you want to use the meet and greet be single and remain that way.

Curious on the baggage though?

Oh so some people are probably going to say use of the lounge. I already have use of the lounge, if you have an American Express Platinum you get the Priority Pass free of charge. I could be wrong but I think it is the exact same lounge as the one offered by Elite.

For me I am applying for a card right now but I usually travel with my partner so the fast track service is pretty much a no go. My partner has a work permit and it is obvious he isn't going to pony up 500K just so he can be fast tracked with me. I am buying the visa because I am really out of any other reasonable options and I can justify this but just barely. As others have said if there was any alternative available to me I wouldn't do it. I am sure there are a few others that are less than thrilled but pony up as I have had to do.

Imagine the prestige of a business man from China bragging to all of his friends how he can get whisked through and then in the same breath explaining to them in order for them to join him they should all put up $15,000. I am sure they would be begging to get one considering as others have said they will get fast tracked anyway.

Anyway how does Elite handle the baggage? Could I at least check in both of our bags, get fast tracked through immigration and potentially save a few minutes waiting for bags? For me this will be the only perk I get from this before I get my own taxi as my partner can not join me. As others have said what if their significant other is Thai? This aspect of the program as actually in very bad taste. So if you want to use the meet and greet be single and remain that way.

Curious on the baggage though?

Ouch...

If you don't use the airport assistance your reaaaaally miss something.

This is my favorite perk.

The "Golden Girls" wait for you at the gate, you reach immigration faster than anyone else, you pass immigration with no queue, they take care of collecting your checked-in luggage if any, then accompany you through customs and on to your waiting limo... All that with smiles, charm and efficiency. Same when you fly out.

If you are a frequent traveler, you will really enjoy that service.

I personally nearly always travel alone.

But the very few times I was accompanied (3 or 4 times I think), my travel companion was offered the same service as I receive.

What I suggest is to mention that you travel with someone, and give the name of your travel companion, at the time you send your email to request the assistance and the limo.

No assurance that it will work, of course. But if nicely asked... ;)

Trust me, you will be very pleased with the airport assistance.

Edited by gerry1011
  • Like 1

Guys (at least the ones who like the Thailand Elite program), we apparently can prepare ourselves for "news" about the program this coming 7th of June.

Good news for sure :)

Source: The Thailand Elite (official) and Thailand Elite Members (unofficial) Facebook pages.

post-12654-14642679925185_thumb.jpg

I wouldn't hold my breath regarding anything new or exciting coming. I have been basically forced into buying a visa because I do not fit into any other category offered. Why would they offer me anything now?

Let's wait for June the 7th and see what comes up?

I am curious :)

Edited by gerry1011

I am sure it will be "fun" :-)

Anyway, once my METV runs out at the end of 2016, I am most likely going to sign up for TE just for convenience reasons. I hope they won´t make any "negative" changes to the overall program till then.

I wouldn't hold my breath regarding anything new or exciting coming. I have been basically forced into buying a visa because I do not fit into any other category offered. Why would they offer me anything now?

I am curious smile.png

End of the need for TE members to do 90 day reports? smile.png

Edited by Ronuk

I am curious smile.png

End of the need for TE members to do 90 day reports? smile.png
I have the feeling that for that one we will have to wait some more.

I just try to put myself in the shoes of Immigration.

If the aim of the 90 day report is to make it easier for them to "trace" the foreigners, I would not be very keen on changing the system.

But I may be wrong, of course.

The best scenario (for the members) would be that I am wrong :)

Edited by gerry1011
  • Like 1

Oh so some people are probably going to say use of the lounge. I already have use of the lounge, if you have an American Express Platinum you get the Priority Pass free of charge. I could be wrong but I think it is the exact same lounge as the one offered by Elite.

Some apparently see value in having it all...

I, on my side, can certainly confirm that Thailand Elite provides a better service in Suvarnabhumi than the other options.

But Amex platinum is very good too. I do agree.

An advantage with Thailand Elite is that everything is taken care of at once. No need to use an agent to quickly clear immigration, no need to use the Amex to access a lounge, no need to call a limo, etc... All services under a single umbrella. It is convenient indeed.

post-12654-14643509731394_thumb.jpg

Edited by gerry1011
  • Like 2

It seems like you are sold on the product. Anyway they told me I can go anytime to Chaeng Wattana to affix the visa. My current visa run out on the 14th of June. I was accepted on May 17th. So my question is this, should I wait as long as I can? Is the meter already running and it will make no difference or is there any reason to rush right out and get the visa put in my passport? If it won't change the date of expiry in total I guess I will schedule it whenever it is convenient.

For the price it would be great if they would just send my passport instead of me going. Their service could use a little bit of tweaking.

Edited by anotheruser

It seems like you are sold on the product. Anyway they told me I can go anytime to Chaeng Wattana to affix the visa. My current visa run out on the 14th of June. I was accepted on May 17th. So my question is this, should I wait as long as I can? Is the meter already running and it will make no difference or is there any reason to rush right out and get the visa put in my passport? If it won't change the date of expiry in total I guess I will schedule it whenever it is convenient.

For the price it would be great if they would just send my passport instead of me going. Their service could use a little bit of tweaking.

I don't think it makes a difference if you go now or later.

I guess the visa is not valid after your membership expires anyway. But TE can give you the best advice.

When you go to affix your visa, the TE staff is there to assist you. I did my visas at the airport, but other members here can probably tell you precisely how it works at Chaeng Wattana.

You seem a bit frustrated because you "had" to buy the membership. I think you should cheer up a bit. You will see, it is just great.

Edited by gerry1011

I guess the visa is not valid after your membership expires anyway. But TE can give you the best advice.

When you go to affix your visa, the TE staff is there to assist you. I did my visas at the airport, but other members here can probably tell you precisely how it works at Chaeng Wattana.

You seem a bit frustrated because you "had" to buy the membership. I think you should cheer up a bit. You will see, it is just great.

It is great. It has achieved the goal it was meant to do which is a visa. I just don't share your opinions about that it is some revolutionary new service and the perks are wonderful. On the other hand I don't think too many other countries let people buy 5 year visas. Over all I am happy enough with it. However if this is the pinnacle of what is considered good service.... I digress.

It is great. It has achieved the goal it was meant to do which is a visa. I just don't share your opinions about that it is some revolutionary new service and the perks are wonderful. On the other hand I don't think too many other countries let people buy 5 year visas. Over all I am happy enough with it. However if this is the pinnacle of what is considered good service.... I digress.

Let's speak again after you use their service for the first time on an international flight. If you travel a lot you will love it, trust me :)

I already have explained that unless you are single or leave your loved ones behind while you get fast tracked this is a no go. This will prevent anybody with a partner from using that service. I have already said I find it somewhat insulting. Anybody who has a Thai wife would probably feel the same as Thai people don't normally have visas to leave or enter.

This is what I mean about areas of service that could be improved. I paid for a visa and the other so called benefits do not make me have the illusion of anything otherwise.

Edited by anotheruser

I already have explained that unless you are single or leave your loved ones behind while you get fast tracked this is a no go. This will prevent anybody with a partner from using that service. I have already said I find it somewhat insulting. Anybody who has a Thai wife would probably feel the same as Thai people don't normally have visas to leave or enter.

This is what I mean about areas of service that could be improved. I paid for a visa and the other so called benefits do not make me have the illusion of anything otherwise.

Uhm yes. You are right. I forgot you said that a few times.

Hopefully most of the members are not in your case.

But, would you be ready to pay for the benefits that your "loved ones" would receive?

I don't see why you would expect anyone (loved or not) to benefit from the membership without participating to its cost.

But what you say is interesting though.

They could have a "married to Thai" membership, at a higher cost. In that case the partner would also benefit. Or simply a system to add a "nominee", for an additional fee. That would be a good idea.

But I guess that if there was such an option, then people would say; "but what about my mother, my step daughter, my wife's siblings, etc... It's a never ending story. And by adding all sorts of "individual cases", the program would be looking a bit messy. But still worth thinking about it. The "nominee" thing could bring extra revenues for them.

Anyway, I am happy that you are happy you have your visa. That is already something you are positive about:)

Until now there are two interesting ideas:

- A 1 year membership.

- A "nominee" system to benefit the Thai partners.

- Both could make members happy and bring more revenues to TE.

Interesting.

Edited by gerry1011

I think for the price it would be reasonable to expect one person to be able to be fast tracked with me. I also think at this price they should provide the limo service to go to Chaeng Wattana to get the visa affixed or simply do it on my behalf.

Give me those two things and I would be happy.

Bare in mind many vip perk services allow a friend such as priority pass to lounges. They realize the perk is somewhat pointless otherwise for many people.

Edited by anotheruser

They have confirmed me to go affix stamp on June 08. I will update this when I know whether the stamp starts from the day the visa is affixed or if it is from the date my application is received. It doesn't matter that much either way for me but it may be useful information for some members here.