farang luxury foods[going up up up]

meatboy

24 minutes ago, migrant said:

Regarding freezing meat, I had a vacuum sealer in the US.  Initial investment wasn't bad, bags a little expensive, but it enabled me to buy bulk and freeze long time without loss of flavor.  I have seen them around Thailand and think a not unreasonable price (Maybe Lazada??).  Once we finish our house, and have a proper kitchen, it's on the list

regarding freezing meat dont let,chicken and pork put you off buying it in bulk from the supermarkets,as its been frozen and defrosted when you buy it.

just look in the meat troffs and you will see plenty of water in there also if your early the bottom lot will still be frozen.

just give it a wash,i date it and bag it,NEVER been ill.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brussels sprouts:  When I was a kid I hated them and was forced to eat them by my parents.. I didn't eat them after I left home until I got older and tried them again and they were Okay but weren't on the top of the list of "likes".  Now that I have lived here for 19 years and have not seen, let alone eaten them, I guess that I would consider them a luxury food.  It would be a luxury to be able to try them again and then I could decide whether I liked then or still hated them.  Just something different is a luxury sometimes!

2 hours ago, ignis said:

Are Brussels Sprouts a Farang luxury food ?  can't say I've seen any here before in 13 years, not really looked... The new Makro opened last week not so far from me they cost 320 baht per kg...

the last few yrs.i have had decent frozen ones from makro [korat] 79bht.a kilo bag [belguim] ok too.

sunday this yr.cold meat,cheese,salad and a 2ltr.bottle of mont clair celebration.

nearly forgot butter [allowrie] up 6bht. 227grms.

and for all you choci fans TESCO TODAY 6AM everything half price.

hersheys.

van outen.

lindor.

ferrero rocher including the new continental.

deffri.

loacker.

raffaello.

and good old kit kat.

enough to last a yr.

18 hours ago, meatboy said:

the last few yrs.i have had decent frozen ones from makro [korat] 79bht.a kilo bag [belguim] ok too.

sunday this yr.cold meat,cheese,salad and a 2ltr.bottle of mont clair celebration.

I like the sprouts.  Have also found the frozen in makro and, as mentioned, fresh recently. Cut in half, blanch a couple minutes, drain and stir fry in butter and cumin. Sometimes add bacon.

On 23/12/2016 at 10:51 AM, meatboy said:

Mine will be a home made ham glazed with honey and mustard, potatoes, boiled, roasted, or sauteed onions, mushrooms and carrots, (I haven't decided yet) and Bisto gravy granules.

I may make an apple crumble with custard as well.

All to be shared with my wife and son, my neighbours next door and their 2 kids.

Left overs on Monday and anything still left on Tuesday to my 3 cats and the next door neighbours dog.

Don't forget the traditional Christmas song at full volume.

8 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Mine will be a home made ham glazed with honey and mustard, potatoes, boiled, roasted, or sauteed onions, mushrooms and carrots, (I haven't decided yet) and Bisto gravy granules.

I may make an apple crumble with custard as well.

All to be shared with my wife and son, my neighbours next door and their 2 kids.

Left overs on Monday and anything still left on Tuesday to my 3 cats and the next door neighbours dog.

Don't forget the traditional Christmas song at full volume.

i got the cd.the wife got 4slices of gammon ham just under a kilo,fresh baggete,toms,cu,red onion,lettuce,beet,and lemnos garlic and chive cheese to spread on the crust.oh and if you want to share i make the best fruit cake in los.6kilo's.

16 minutes ago, meatboy said:

i got the cd.the wife got 4slices of gammon ham just under a kilo,fresh baggete,toms,cu,red onion,lettuce,beet,and lemnos garlic and chive cheese to spread on the crust.oh and if you want to share i make the best fruit cake in los.6kilo's.

Personally I am not much of a salad eater. Cu makes me burp a lot and the taste stays all day.

I haven't made a fruitcake in months. My ex wife back in the UK started her Christmas cake around June or July and her Mum started the Christmas pudding at Easter.

On 24/12/2016 at 2:21 PM, billd766 said:

Personally I am not much of a salad eater. Cu makes me burp a lot and the taste stays all day.

I haven't made a fruitcake in months. My ex wife back in the UK started her Christmas cake around June or July and her Mum started the Christmas pudding at Easter.

I am definitely up for the fruit cake if you could post or PM me the recipe.

Someone mentioned tinned spuds earlier. Never seen them but never looked for them. Fresh new (season) potatoes are usually available when in season (spring) from Makro around about March. 80 Baht a kilo bag last year as I remember. Fresh sprouts the same time and place but didn't look at the price.

Another member mentioned about eating a diverse range of foods rather than sticking to menu items that require some of it to be imported. For the most part I take heed of what is in season (glut) and adjust my diet accordingly. Eaten a shedload of pumpkin at 3 Baht a kilo for the last couple of months so will not bother again until next Autumn. I'll likely go back to fish and seafood which for many would be considered a luxury food itself and is, at it were, is season. After the monsoon finishes, for quite a while the seas around Samui (seas off Surat province really) are hugely productive. Even Somchai  in his old old boat where ne needs a Nong just to keep bailing it out can make a good catch. Problem is... there is much much more that the market requires so what happens to it? [do not answer that question]. Good time to try out new recipes and even new fish because you can buy what you want straight off of the boat for 10s of Baht. To me, that is a luxury. Sure it costs me a pretty penny to get some things I want and close to sod all to get other things I want. What is luxury?

The luxury in food (IMO) has all to do with the effect on the human phyche. The look, smell and taste and make your brain 'whiteout' on memories and we quite like that, as a species. It makes us feel indulgent and somewhat aloof.... escapism?

What else. Ah... someone mentioned the frozen double Kiwi lamb racks in Makro. Great deal I think at around 900ish for the pack. Would cost me double in the UK and likely the same in NZ yet still a luxury item I guess.

11 hours ago, billd766 said:

I am definitely up for the fruit cake if you could post or PM me the recipe.

pm me with your address and i will send you a slice,easy to make and its been said cant be beaten.

havent started it yet its still sealed in a stainless steel pan.

meatboy

3 hours ago, notmyself said:

Someone mentioned tinned spuds earlier. Never seen them but never looked for them. Fresh new (season) potatoes are usually available when in season (spring) from Makro around about March. 80 Baht a kilo bag last year as I remember. Fresh sprouts the same time and place but didn't look at the price.

Another member mentioned about eating a diverse range of foods rather than sticking to menu items that require some of it to be imported. For the most part I take heed of what is in season (glut) and adjust my diet accordingly. Eaten a shedload of pumpkin at 3 Baht a kilo for the last couple of months so will not bother again until next Autumn. I'll likely go back to fish and seafood which for many would be considered a luxury food itself and is, at it were, is season. After the monsoon finishes, for quite a while the seas around Samui (seas off Surat province really) are hugely productive. Even Somchai  in his old old boat where ne needs a Nong just to keep bailing it out can make a good catch. Problem is... there is much much more that the market requires so what happens to it? [do not answer that question]. Good time to try out new recipes and even new fish because you can buy what you want straight off of the boat for 10s of Baht. To me, that is a luxury. Sure it costs me a pretty penny to get some things I want and close to sod all to get other things I want. What is luxury?

The luxury in food (IMO) has all to do with the effect on the human phyche. The look, smell and taste and make your brain 'whiteout' on memories and we quite like that, as a species. It makes us feel indulgent and somewhat aloof.... escapism?

What else. Ah... someone mentioned the frozen double Kiwi lamb racks in Makro. Great deal I think at around 900ish for the pack. Would cost me double in the UK and likely the same in NZ yet still a luxury item I guess.

are they the ones grown through the ROYAL PROJECT? did look for some before but they were like seed pots.in a box.

5 minutes ago, meatboy said:

pm me with your address and i will send you a slice,easy to make and its been said cant be beaten.

havent started it yet its still sealed in a stainless steel pan.

meatboy

Now you've done it.  I wonder how many PM's you will get asking for a slice. 

In addition, you have now advertised your services, even if for free(volunteer), and a representative of the work permit brigade will soon be along to deal with you!  No, there is no amnesty on Christmas or Boxing day.

8 minutes ago, meatboy said:

are they the ones grown through the ROYAL PROJECT? did look for some before but they were like seed pots.in a box.

Most all potatoes sold in Thailand emanate from Royal Project. I find them fine myself  but one (a person) does have to know what they are cooking.

1 hour ago, notmyself said:

Most all potatoes sold in Thailand emanate from Royal Project. I find them fine myself  but one (a person) does have to know what they are cooking.

Not so at all.

The potatoes that Makro sell come from China.

If you are fortunate enough to live in Chiang Mai or Bangkok then you have a short distance to travel to the Royal Project shops otherwise forget it.

just tried the new MAGNUM PATISSERIE

TIRAMISU     

50BHT.worth it YES

very nice. luxury on a stick.

On 12/19/2016 at 2:16 PM, wayned said:

I usually use a 2kg chunk of pork collar.  It's nicely marbled with fat and comes out nice especially for sandwiches.

Ready!  I used loin instead (had it in the freezer) and followed some recipes from Fritz Sonnenschmidt. (Pastrami and Kassler Rippchen)

The result is delicious, however I would not call it ham. The recipe for the rippchen is identical as that for a cooked ham (wet cure for 10 days, inject brine, cook slowly - eventually smoke it first). So my guess is that if you want a real ham you should use ... a ham instead of a loin.  But it is a good substitute and much easier to prepare at home as the real thing.

IMG_1398.JPG

13 hours ago, U235 said:

Ready!  I used loin instead (had it in the freezer) and followed some recipes from Fritz Sonnenschmidt. (Pastrami and Kassler Rippchen)

The result is delicious, however I would not call it ham. The recipe for the rippchen is identical as that for a cooked ham (wet cure for 10 days, inject brine, cook slowly - eventually smoke it first). So my guess is that if you want a real ham you should use ... a ham instead of a loin.  But it is a good substitute and much easier to prepare at home as the real thing.

IMG_1398.JPG

Looks good.  The reason that I use the collar is for the higher fat content, it makes it juicer and the fat retains additional flavor.  I would like to use a rolled boneless shoulder but it's just too big for the equipment that I use.  In the future, when you cut it cut it across the grain, not with the grain.  You should always cut meat across the grain as it makes it "more tender" and easier to chew!

When I do beef I always use the brisket due to the higher fat content.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/12/2017 at 1:35 PM, meatboy said:

looks like our fav.is going to hit the hot spot,SPUDS none in the mall or tesco,the ones on the market had more eye's than a go go bar full of farangs.

cheapest crinkle cut.135bht.a kilo.

Bought Spuds this week, they looked rather good, 32 baht per kg at Makro..... rarely buy, just fancied making Liver and Onions  with Mash..

• 7 months later...

Archived