Bomb blast wounds German tourists, guide in northern Shan State

webfact

Bomb blast wounds German tourists, guide in northern Shan State

Bomb-Blast-wpcf_728x413.jpg

YANGON: -- A bomb blast wounded two tourists and a Myanmar guide near the northern town of Kyaukme in Shan State at around 2pm Wednesday, The Irrawaddy reported, citing a local police officer.

Win Khaing, a police officer in Kyaukme Township, said two German tourists – a man and a woman – and their Myanmar guide were wounded in the blast and admitted to a local hospital.

The inciden occurred 20 miles north of Kyaukme, according to Col San Lwin, head of the Taunggyi Police Station.

The area has frequently been the site of conflicts between the Muyanmar Army and the Ta’ang National Liberation Army (TNLA), an ethnic armed group.

The visitors had been staying in Hsipaw, a tourist town in Shan State 30 miles from Kyaukme, according to La Wun Aung, a local tour guide.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/161373

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-04-28

Translation of A German website: Good to hear that not much happened to them.

"The two 24-year-old Germans were, according the news only slightly injured and were treated in Mandalay city hospital Tuesday evening. According to Army sources the woman had an injury at her head one at her arm, the guy suffered of a sudden hearing loss."

Get well soon, guys. thumbsup.gif

I'm pretty sure that's the trek I did in November. We were warned about potential violence. I hope they recover quickly.

Kyaukme, Shan State
Town in Myanmar
Kyaukme is a town in northern Shan State of Burma. It is situated on the Mandalay - Lashio road, after Pyin Oo Lwin and Nawnghkio, and before Hsipaw, on what is now the Mandalay - Muse road, part of the Asian Highway route 14. Source: Wikipedia

post-158336-0-72618400-1461816965_thumb.

I'm pretty sure that's the trek I did in November. We were warned about potential violence. I hope they recover quickly.

Kyaukme, Shan State
Town in Myanmar
Kyaukme is a town in northern Shan State of Burma. It is situated on the Mandalay - Lashio road, after Pyin Oo Lwin and Nawnghkio, and before Hsipaw, on what is now the Mandalay - Muse road, part of the Asian Highway route 14. Source: Wikipedia

whats this supposed to show us.............nothing really!

• 2 weeks later...

I thought the town itself is safe. It does say the incident occurred 20 miles (32km) north of Kyaukme, so that means as long as you don't stray too far out of town or off the main Mandalay-Muse highway you should be safe, as a tourist. It does mean however that any trekking opportunities will be limited, which is unfortunate.

Archived