Four arrested for attack on British family in Hua Hin as first photos of the victims are released

webfact

Four arrested for attack on British family in Hua Hin as first photos of the victims are released

1.jpg

HUA HIN:-- Four Thai men have now been arrested for the brutal attack on a British family in Hua Hin during Songkran, while the identities of the victims have also been revealed.

The victims have been named as Lewis Owen, 68, his wife Rosemary Owen, in her sixties, and their son (Lewis) John Owen, 43. They are believed to be from Wales.

On Thursday, a photograph was released to local media showing Rosemary recovering in her hospital bed, pictured alongside officials who are said to be from Thailand’s tourism authority.

There are also as yet unconfirmed reports that some of the suspects may have been bailed.

A video from CCTV of the attack in Soi Bintabaht on April 13th has been shared right across the globe with news organisations, newspapers from New Zealand to the UK and every platform of social media clamoring for the latest news that many fear will have a disastrous affect on the nation's tourism.

2.jpg
Image: Kulsawek Sawekwannakorn

Kulsawek Sawekwannakorn, a Hua Hin based journalist for Daily News, wrote on his Facebook page that four men have been arrested. Siwa (Neng) Noksri and Chaya (Boy) Jaibun are the latest two along with Supatta (Mong) Baithong and Yingyai (M) Saengkhamin, both 32, who were arrested on the 17th and shown in bulletproof vests in front of grim faced police.

Supatta has already given evidence that he was drunk and the altercation started after the son brushed his arm. The video shows the scene quickly develop into a full scale melee as several Thai men assault the tourists ultimately leaving them all unconscious on the ground. Particularly shocking is the attack on gray haired Rosemary who is punched in the face and then savagely kicked in the jaw as she tries to get up.

Sanook.com reported the arrest of the first three people and said that while they were being held in Hua Hin relatives of Supatta had applied for bail. Thairath reported that three arrested men had been bailed, but this is unconfirmed by police as yet.

Earlier an arrest warrant had been issued for the fourth wanted man.

Sanook.com reported that the son had already returned to the UK and that the parents were due to fly back on May 3rd. A court date is expected to be convened quickly so that the parents can give evidence.

3.jpg
Lewis & Rose Owen: Wales New Service

It is understood that Rosemary is still in hospital complaining of headaches and is being monitored by doctors. She suffered severe bruising on her face and head while both father and son suffered head wounds.

The Lewis and Rose are reported to be regular visitors to Thailand and have previously told friends of their love for the country.

Thai Rath quoting The Guardian newspaper in the UK said that a Hua Hin forum member had warned foreigners to be careful. They said that the incident had caused comment and speculation throughout the world with the New Zealand Herald also featuring the story.

International news organisation The Associated Press is also reporting on the story.

The Daily News reporter said on his Facebook page that many organisations concerned about the adverse effect on tourism had sent flowers and baskets of tributes to the family to apologise and express their sympathy for what had happened.

Kulsawek said:"This was caused by just a few drunk people but it has ruined the image of Hua Hin completely."

But he said that Hua Hin is a place worth living in. And it is not a dangerous place as some farangs might think, he added.

Online Thai posters expressed their outrage over the incident and called for severe penalties for those accused.

Pictures have also emerged of some organisations presenting baskets of gifts to police as thanks for their quick action in arresting the first two suspects.

A witness to the assault who gave a statement to police and is the owner of a motorcycle rental shop very close to where it happened told sanook.com he had noticed a drop off in tourists adding that before the incident he was renting ten bikes a day and this is now down to one or two.

Chief Chayakorn speaking live on Channel 3 national TV news said that the assault was not reported to police at the time (1.30 am on the 13th) and the force only became aware of what had happened on the 14th, more than 24 hours afterwards. The family were treated at Bangkok Hospital. The son left Thailand on the 18th. The family were interviewed after they had recovered a little on the 15th but were very confused as to what had happened. He indicated that Rosemary was being monitored by doctors but had now left hospital.

Chief Chayakorn added that there were about ten thousand visitors in the area that night and there was a police presence both around and inside the soi but the police did not get a report of this incident. He said that the public should always report matters like this immediately.

He confirmed four suspects had been arrested and said that none of them had any previous convictions. No mention was made of applications for bail or the granting of bail.

A spokesman for the Tourism Authority of Thailand said: "An investigation is in process and the suspects will soon be under the jurisdiction of the court.

"If found guilty, the perpetrators of this incident will face full justice under Thai law."

tvn.png
-- 2016-04-29

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

'Chief Chayakorn added that there were about ten thousand visitors in the area that night and there was a police presence both around and inside the soi but the police did not get a report of this incident. He said that the public should always report matters like this immediately.'

All the police must of been drinking their coffee and eating donuts when i assume ambulances arrived to take the family to hospital? coffee1.gif

If those vile vermin will get less prison time than 10 years, than this country's judicial system is

a joke and a mockery, and should not be called the land of smiles anymore, more like the land vicious

thugs and brutality.....

So TAT turn up for a photo and show some fake sympathy for the elderly victim. Their only concern is the tourist dollar. I would tell them to bugger off, I don't want to be part of their b/S save the baht campaign. What next, will the police bring the thugs before them to give a false sorry and ask her to sign a non complaint form. The best they can do for tourism is ensure the animals are given lengthy prison terms, send a very clear message to other thai thugs and the world that tourists are actually welcome and they aren't just wallet transporters.

"If found guilty, the perpetrators of this incident will face full justice under Thai law."

(quote from main story)

Lets hope that means several years in jail and not just a mere fine.

The 2 fat ones in vests are probably connected guys bailed by rich families already....they will not see anything but a small fine. The 2 skinny punks are likely henchmen/laborers who work for them and will take the brunt of it as sacrificial lambs.

The Tourism Authority is there to show support. Too funny. How about getting PROACTIVE and get authorities to make Thailand a better place for tourists. Don't just focus on increases in tourist numbers. Get rid of the scams, which are many, and give this country it's nick name: LOS Land Of Scams. And many involve the police. They are great being reactive, but not so good being proactive. I know, just a dream....

Best wishes for a speedy recovery to this couple.

This is very sad tale of a family's holiday in Thailand. My thoughts are with the family for a full recovery. There was some serious blows in that altercation from young men who had never been in trouble/caught before and of course blame alcohol consumption for this particularly vicious sickening attack.

(quote from main story)

The 2 fat ones in vests are probably connected guys bailed by rich families already....they will not see anything but a small fine. The 2 skinny punks are likely henchmen/laborers who work for them and will take the brunt of it as sacrificial lambs.

You should apply for a job as a detective, as you can identify every suspects role and social standing by looking at their mugshot.

Will save the police a lot of time investigating.

If those vile vermin will get less prison time than 10 years, than this country's judicial system is

a joke and a mockery, and should not be called the land of smiles anymore, more like the land vicious

thugs and brutality.....

10 years , hope you are not a judge.

How many years in your country for physical assault?

In italy for non permanent damages is between 3 month to 3 year.

Seems to me, after 14 years of living here, that there are many Thai's who care about foreigners - like the big guy in the stripped shirt (video) who tried to intercede but had to retreat . But there is an ugly underbelly of Thai's who resent foreigners and will not pass up an opportunity to punch and kick the "hand that feeds them" . This is the old 80/20 principle once again .... 80% of Thai's care about how foreigners see them and make an effort to be friendly and welcoming. But 20% are too lazy to make their own way in life and lash out at those who they envy. But that 20% gets 80% of the news coverage and gives Thailand a Black Eye (pardon the pun).

It is their first offence. Even they did a terrible thing. A first offence for assault does not carry a prison sentence. Not only in Thailand, but all western countries also. So when everyone hears that they got a fine and a 4 month suspended sentence, don't be complaining that they got special treatment, because victims were foreigner. This is the standard sentence, including in our countries.

Pure mouth-breathing, pond-life scum! Tempting to label them a bunch of retarded monkeys, but animals don't even behave like that for no reason. The TAT aren't much better. Just a sh.ite state of affairs all around really. What ever happened to this place?

It is their first offence. Even they did a terrible thing. A first offence for assault does not carry a prison sentence. Not only in Thailand, but all western countries also. So when everyone hears that they got a fine and a 4 month suspended sentence, don't be complaining that they got special treatment, because victims were foreigner. This is the standard sentence, including in our countries.

no so! in the United States they have a "hate" crime law that includes old folks! hit an old person and go to jail! period

Again the word "farang" was used in above news article. This, in itself, is an insult.

Also noticed no specific charges mentioned. As mentioned before, repeatedly kicking someone in head is attempted murder, drunk or not drunk.

I have found over the years, a number of Thais are very confrontational when it comes to foreigners. They seem to wish to fight. I have started to

see on the roads, windows go down and middle finger comes out. Never saw this before.

I have lived in many countries and never seen foreigners mistreated like they are here, from immigration, dual pricing and many other matters.

I do not like this situation and have actively started to seek another country once my employment tenure ends here.

In my country, when a foreigner is robbed or beaten. Someone from an organisation will go to visit the victim. All medical expenses are paid by the government. Victims are given any assistance they need by finance or amenities. There are often gifts of flowers or chocolates .this process helps victims with a nice last memory of the country. It also can counterbalance a little bit of their horrible memory. This is actually very beneficial to their healing.

Well done tat for helping these guests in your country.

Find it very surprising that

1) we have yet to have a photo with a pointing finger

2) the suspects are Thai, not from Myanmar....

I hope the media followup on this story to report the outcome of the perpetrators.

I would have thought the animal who kicked Rosemary in the head should be charged with attempted murder given the force of the blow

Land of Smiles ....such a wonderful country....but beware of batterings and balconies

thugs and brutality.....

I'm on board with your sentiment, although 10 years seems a bit harsh...perhaps if the scum are repeat offenders...

I hope that these are the real perpetrators, and not some poor schmucks who are being set up in order to appease the media the same as it happened in Ko Tao.

Not a chance.

The Thais albeit feckless about who blame should be apportioned too wouldn't dare pick any other candidates than the original cardboard gangsters.

The world media these days is a strong allay against these tyrants 'growing momentum every year' so in reality Thailand would shit itself if it lied about this latest outrage.

These Thai gangs hunt in packs simply because they're cowards picking on defenceless people.

Think about it.

How many times have they beat up a big team of Russians or any other handy western groups? Doesn't happen. They prefer to take advantage of older types,women or young adults or 10 to one ratio on a single Ferang to show thier unlimited strength in numbers.

If this scum gets less than a 10 stretch I'll be gutted and should scrap the Tits at TAT if they don't improve our safety in this scary country.

It's a total and utter disgrace and time for the PM to show the world he means business on Tourism

and ferangs welfare.

Suppose it took the glare of the Ladyboy skullduggery for this week until they kick off again next week.

Just saying ........

(quote from main story)

Yes, that is full justice under Thai law. As proven by historical incidents, the "connected" kids can shoot people to death in pubs or drive over them in their expensive cars and never see a minute in jail. No idea who these guys are yet but if your theory is correct, then that scenario is likely.

no so! in the United States they have a "hate" crime law that includes old folks! hit an old person and go to jail! period

Show me the law and the penalty.

This would come under the common assault law. It was not premeditated and first offence.

Though there is an extra penalty, for assault if it was 2 or more doing the crime.

Suspended sentence. Standard.

I also get sick of people going on about victims being paid off to avoid prison. This is not true. Thailand has a very good law, that every victim is entitled to compensation from the criminal. This sum can be agreed upon before court, it has no bearing on the criminal sentence which by the law must be enforced. Or, the victim can prosecute the criminal in a civil case if victim feels compensation is not enough.

Many countries do not have the victims compensation law. Everyone makes money, the lawyers, the court (fines ) with the victim recieveing nothing. I have been a victim,the money does help cover costs of medical, court attendances, and other.

Don't talk rubbish. Depends on the severity of the offence. I would consider GBH to be a stage further than assault. But no doubt the court will be lenient as it's (probably influential) Thais in the dock and they plead guilty. I've zero sympathy for these thugs, and I hope tourism to Hua Hin suffers as a result.

Archived