Four arrested for attack on British family in Hua Hin as first photos of the victims are released

webfact

Full justice under Thai law .... The Thai justice system is very relaxed on these type of crimes. It's usually a Wai ... so sorry ... and a small fine when the police actually go out and find the perpetrators. Being drunk is a legitimate defense to avoid accountability for the committed crime.

It took 24 hours for the police to know about this? Where were they? It is very hard to believe the hospital or a citizen DID NOT contact the police within the first three hours after the attack.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In my country, when a foreigner is robbed or beaten. Someone from an organisation will go to visit the victim. All medical expenses are paid by the government. Victims are given any assistance they need by finance or amenities. There are often gifts of flowers or chocolates .this process helps victims with a nice last memory of the country. It also can counterbalance a little bit of their horrible memory. This is actually very beneficial to their healing.

Well done tat for helping these guests in your country.

anyone seen anyone from the BRITISH EMBASSY

Just because they didn't take a photograph and share it with the media, you suppose they aren't involved? They have stated already that they are aware of the incident and providing consular assistance.

So TAT turn up for a photo and show some fake sympathy for the elderly victim. Their only concern is the tourist dollar. I would tell them to bugger off, I don't want to be part of their b/S save the baht campaign. What next, will the police bring the thugs before them to give a false sorry and ask her to sign a non complaint form. The best they can do for tourism is ensure the animals are given lengthy prison terms, send a very clear message to other thai thugs and the world that tourists are actually welcome and they aren't just wallet transporters.

And the charges against these thugs should be attempted murder, clearly the video evidence shows the head kicking.. clearlty attempted murder!!

It is their first offence. Even they did a terrible thing. A first offence for assault does not carry a prison sentence. Not only in Thailand, but all western countries also. So when everyone hears that they got a fine and a 4 month suspended sentence, don't be complaining that they got special treatment, because victims were foreigner. This is the standard sentence, including in our countries.

Nonsense. It is a question of degree and perspective. This assault would result in a custodial sentence in EVERY western country.

'But he said that Hua Hin is a place worth living in. And it is not a dangerous place as some farangs might think, he added.'

Since when does Thailand want any foreigners living there? After trying to 'live' there for any length of time it becomes obvious that foreigners are not really welcome or wanted. Thailand wants foreigners to go there on holiday, spend all their money, then go back to their own countries.

There should be bilateral agreements with Thailand - For example as foreigners can't buy land in Thailand, Thais should also be prevented from buying land overseas. I'm sure the Thai elite would come to the party over that one as it would piss them off no end.

If they get away with annother stupid small fine, it will show again what "full justice under Thai law" is: a joke, and it should be publicized in western newspapers to prevent eventual tourists of the danger in commoing to this country.

If those vile vermin will get less prison time than 10 years, than this country's judicial system is

a joke and a mockery, and should not be called the land of smiles anymore, more like the land vicious

thugs and brutality.....

10 years , hope you are not a judge.

How many years in your country for physical assault?

In italy for non permanent damages is between 3 month to 3 year.

As far as know this incident happened in Thailand?

What's Italy's law got any connection with this horrible assault.

10 years minimum I say!!

UK up to seven years for Auctual Bodily Harm, 7 to 14 Grevious Bodily Harm

When I was younger I used to believe that prisons were for violent criminals to make the streets safer for everyone else. As I grow older I get the feeling that this is not the case. They (governments around the world) don't seem to care about making people feel safer in their countries. If they did, people who commit crimes like this would be straight to prison, no excuses.

A spokesman for the Tourism Authority of Thailand said: "An investigation is in process and the suspects will soon be under the jurisdiction of the court.

"If found guilty, the perpetrators of this incident will face full justice under Thai law."

Therein lies the problem.

I use to promote the hell out of Thailand as a wonderful vacation/retirement location. THAT WILL NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN!

This random act is but only one which has been exposed.

In fact, I will warn ALL to avoid this country because it's society has turned dark at just about all levels.

There's simply nothing here for middle to upper class westerns who can easily achive true bliss visiting other worldly locations.

When I was younger I used to believe that prisons were for violent criminals to make the streets safer for everyone else. As I grow older I get the feeling that this is not the case. They (governments around the world) don't seem to care about making people feel safer in their countries. If they did, people who commit crimes like this would be straight to prison, no excuses.

I would say here in SE Asia there is no real 'rule of law' - justice is bought and sold. In Western Europe the concept of justice has been turned on its head like many of the old institutions - the influence of left-wing Frankfurt School thinking permeates everything in those countries now. Punish the victim not the criminal.

The attack was vicious. Cannot in any circumstance see any justification for kicking and stomping someone on the Ground. Sadly this incident will have a negative impact on Thai tourism. But for those of us who know Thailand there are many more good Thai than bad thai. As it is with most Countries. Sadly attacks like this are not uncommon here in Thailand or indeed in any other Country including My Own New Zealand. Like many Thai I am disgusted by such brutal behaviour. But always i am thankful that for the most part the Thai i meet are lovely people. It does not change my view of Thailand and to be polite even in some trying situations has thus far got me further than being confrontational. Sympathy for the Welsh family and as with all I hope justice is meted out to fit the crime. Grey area for the Guy who retaliated but for the two head kickers I would imagine they would be incarcerated

Several things bothered me in watching the video!

1. Attacking an older couple by "pack animal" super predators who blended in nicely with the crowd. Spineless cretins.

2. The falang/foreigner/expat that intervened should be honored by the HH political leadership! Putting his safety at risk for strangers! A little help would have been nice here from the gawkers. His surgery/dental bills I trust are being picked up by the the city of HH. God Bless him!

3. The lack of help and intervention by the crowd of Thais and the several falangs who were gawking but not acting. To see the 3 lying there knocked out for the few seconds/minutes in the video is going to haunt HH and Thailand for a long time. LOS lost a lot of credibility on this one.

4. Purportedly they as falangs were targeted by these urban terrorists! Blaming it on an alcohol fueled system doesn't cut it.

It is their first offence. Even they did a terrible thing. A first offence for assault does not carry a prison sentence. Not only in Thailand, but all western countries also. So when everyone hears that they got a fine and a 4 month suspended sentence, don't be complaining that they got special treatment, because victims were foreigner. This is the standard sentence, including in our countries.

Not sure about that, "The Somchai" that put the boot in, should be done for attempted murder IMO. It's amazing that the injuries were not more serious, or that the lady didn't die.

Absolutley sickening behaviour, but maybe not as bad as those that are trying to justify the actions.

I use to promote the hell out of Thailand as a wonderful vacation/retirement location. THAT WILL NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN!

This random act is but only one which has been exposed.

In fact, I will warn ALL to avoid this country because it's society has turned dark at just about all levels.

There's simply nothing here for middle to upper class westerns who can easily achive true bliss visiting other worldly locations.

Let's face it...we are largely here for cost of living reasons. If I could afford a nice house and lifestyle in the USA I would be back there in a flash. But the reality is I can only afford to live in a lower middle class suburb in the US, and having done that before choose not to do that again. Here I have a chance at a decent, relaxed retirement where monthly expenses are not a major concern.

Sure I could go to Vietnam or Cambodia or Panama...but the crime problem is just as bad if not worse there, even though admittedly the cultures are vastly different. Anywhere you are the outsider you will face discrimination from the local population, and when you are financially better off than them, it makes it even worse. Emigrants to the USA or UK face discrimination every day...it just nobody expects them to pay up.

I don't regularly comment on these forums, but this has really hit a nerve.

I have led a pretty dangerous life and experienced / witnessed a lot of violence through my work and there is not much that will shock me.

However, I have to say that after seeing this video, I am horrified, and especially the image of this poor old lady getting kicked in the face, whilst she is already down anyway! sends anger running through me like not much else ever has before.

This is without doubt the most horrendous, despicable and cowardly attack I have ever seen reported.

I ask one question: Why are these type of attacks by thugs always aimed at an "easy target" and always done mob handed.

These young men are gutless, cowardly thugs and should have the book thrown at them.

And here is something to dwell on. If this attack was in the UK, and shown on film as this was. These four guys, when they went to jail, would be very lucky to get out alive. Their life would be hell inside and they would be treated the same as child abusers.

Outrageous attack, by gutless, brainless idiots who deserve to be put in a room with four "British hooligans" who have just been shown this video. Lets see what happens then.

On a final note, my best wishes to the British family and I hope you are on the mend with no complications. Get well soon and I hope you are able to move forward in your life without revisiting the memory of this horrific attack.

I was curious what the penalty for assault is in my home state of Ohio. In the US these penalties differ by state.

Simple assault is also referred to as “assault” or misdemeanor assault in Ohio courts. It can carry up to 6 months in jail and $1,000 in fines as a first degree misdemeanor. You may be charged with this offense if you:

• Recklessly cause serious physical harm to another, or
  • Knowingly cause or attempt to cause physical harm to another.

This means that you can be charged with this assault offense even if you don’t intend to hurt anyone at all."

Source: http://www.assaultandbattery.org/ohio/

Seems to me, after 14 years of living here, that there are many Thai's who care about foreigners - like the big guy in the stripped shirt (video) who tried to intercede but had to retreat . But there is an ugly underbelly of Thai's who resent foreigners and will not pass up an opportunity to punch and kick the "hand that feeds them" . This is the old 80/20 principle once again .... 80% of Thai's care about how foreigners see them and make an effort to be friendly and welcoming. But 20% are too lazy to make their own way in life and lash out at those who they envy. But that 20% gets 80% of the news coverage and gives Thailand a Black Eye (pardon the pun).

kentrot ... thanks 4 your level headed insight ... IMO U R right

As a 10 year expat resident my wife (Thai) and I have been

generously helped many times by caring Thai's as we have

helped them. We built our home just outside Tha Yang 50K

from Hua Hin and the whole community has treated us with

respect and dignity as we have them

U will find the 20% vile people U speak of in any and all countries

of the world ... it's an unfortunate fact and we the 80% need 2 B

constantly aware and try 2 deal with the 20% as best we can.

Sometimes we win sometimes we lose in the game of life. Some

times the losing part can B very devastating

As a side note the ironic thing 4 me is the vile 20% of my country

(USA) run the country and treat the 80% as their slaves. The

80% allow it 2 happen and have become brain washed

subservient chattel. It's getting more and more difficult to deal

with or avoid the atrocities of the 20%. For this reason IMO

a physical r3voltion isn't 2 far off ... unless a nuclear WW III

doesn't rid the earth of man first which is a distinct possibility

when Killary becomes POTUS

But for those of us who know Thailand there are many more good Thai than bad thai.

I know Thailand quite well, good/bad ratio is around 50/50 IMHO.

Lots of drug users, gang members, corrupt officials, from the very top to the bottom of Thai society.

I used to mix with Thai men, gave it up, too dangerous, too many carry guns, too many are violent drunks.

The corruption is so wide spread, most people don't even notice it.

From the lady in the D/L center extorting 20bht for a licence holder, you kids schoolteachers extorting money for trips and projects, the police extorting everyone, immigration forcing foreigners to use VISA agents in Chiang Mai.

And you say more good than bad Thai, it just isn't true.

Then may not all be beating on elderly foreign ladies, but many are playing the extortion game.

I haven't even mentioned the village people, don't go there, literally.

Drunks, child molesters, pimps, loan sharks.

How many attacks go unreported or not on video.i know of one...me getting jumped by a couple of Thais when I pulled up outside a 7/11 late one night.this sort of thing happens more than we think.in fact this one nearly went under the radar and definitely would of if there wasn't any video.thai are a mix of pikey (gypsy) and Apache Wild West Indian.lets hope they don't get the idea of scalping us.

................"If found guilty, the perpetrators of this incident will face full justice under Thai law."................

So that's them given a B500 fine then. I'd string the bastards up by the <deleted>. Scum. Absolute vermin.

Archived