Random Chiang Rai Thoughts

sceadugenga

Why is dried/crystallized ginger rarely included in the stock of local shops which sell similar products?

I finally found a supply at the flower market but noted yesterday that her jar was almost empty.

I can only live in hope.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Plenty of dried ginger up at Doi Mae Salong and it's at Mae Sai if you're prepared to look around, just hard to find in the 'Rai.

Not sure about garlic powder Don, it's something I used to reluctantly use in the the absence of fresh, hardly a problem here.

Not sure what powdered lime is... must be a 'Merkin thing. tongue.png

I have noticed a new and improved attitude here on the forum. People seem to be making more of an effort.

Yeah. I'm seeing that too.

Must be something in the smoke in the air up there.

Think I'm gunna head over to a Pattaya thread for a bit of good, old fashioned and unreasonable forum ranting and raving for a while...

biggrin.png

The powdered lime is used as an excellent preservative. I used it extensively in guacamole that I froze for commercial sales at Don's Foods in Bangkok. I produced guacamole, pickled jalapeno peppers, dill pickles, sauerkraut, red and green salsa, jalapeno sauce, habanera sauce and green tomatlilo salsa. The tomatillos grew good in Chiang Rai.

Don, you mentioning sauerkraut caught my interest, I found some imported cans in Tops but they were hardly sour.

As far as I know it calls for white cabbage and have not seen that around here.
Would you please share a recipe for C'Rai kraut?

There are hundreds of recipes for making sauerkraut. It is basically salt and cabbage in a pickling container. Regarding the cabbage, the ordinary head of cabbage you find at the market and Makro is fine for use. It is difficult to go wrong.

This one works good for my former commercial applications..

25 pounds cabbage

1/2 pound pickling salt, about 3/4 cup

Preparation:

Remove outer leaves and any undesirable portions from firm, mature, heads of cabbage; wash and drain. Cut into halves or quarters; remove the core. Use a shredder or sharp knife to cut the cabbage into thin shreds about the thickness of a dime.

In a large container, thoroughly mix 2 tablespoons salt with 3 pounds shredded cabbage. Let the salted cabbage stand for several minutes to wilt slightly; this allows packing without excessive breaking or bruising of the shreds.

Pack the salted cabbage firmly and evenly into a large clean crock or jar. Using a wooden spoon or tamper or the hands, press down firmly until the juice comes to the surface. Repeat the shredding, salting, and packing of the cabbage until the crock is filled to within 3 to 4 inches of the top.

Cover the cabbage with a clean, thin, white cloth (such as muslin) and tuck the edges down against the inside of the container. Cover with a plate or round paraffined/waxed board that just fits inside the container so that the cabbage is not exposed to the air. Put a weight on top of the cover so the brine comes to the cover but not over it. A glass jar filled with water makes a good weight.

An alternative method of covering cabbage during fermentation consists of placing a plastic bag filled with water on top of the fermenting cabbage. The water-filled bag seals the surface from exposure to air and prevents the growth of film yeast or molds. It also serves as a weight. For extra protection the bag with the water in it can be placed inside another plastic bag.

Any bag used should be of heavyweight, watertight plastic and intended for use with foods.

The amount of water in the plastic bag can be adjusted to give just enough pressure to keep the fermenting cabbage covered with brine.

Formation of gas bubbles indicates fermentation is taking place. A room temperature of 68 to 72 degrees is best for fermenting cabbage. Fermentation is usually completed in 5 to 6 weeks.

Fully fermented sauerkraut may be kept tightly covered in the refrigerator for a few months, it can be frozen in sealed freezer bags, or it may be canned as follows: Hot Pack: Bring sauerkraut and liquid slowly to a boil in a large kettle, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and fill jars rather firmly with sauerkraut and juices, leaving 1/2-inch headspace.

Raw Pack: Pack jars with sauerkraut and cover with juices, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Adjust jar lids and process.

Hot Pack:

Pint jars...........10 minutes Quart jars........15 minutes

Raw Pack:

Pint jars.........20 minutes Quart jars.......25 minutes

Makes about 8 quarts.

Not a bad day today, my UPS battery crapped itself but it was overdue so I went to town and paid about half what I did for the previous one.

Pleasantly chuffed I went to pay my house insurance and not only did they knock a thousand off what I expected to pay but offered to insure my car for 4000 less than I'm paying now.

O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

It's not about how much you save it's just getting a win occasionally. smile.png

Here is a random story from earlier today.

A truck pulled into our drive and three guys claiming to be police (later confirmed) tried to sell us 2000 baht tickets to a fundraising event. There was a flyer, official looking document and three tickets handed to my wife. I joined my wife as she looked outnumbered by the three guys and I thought she might need support.

We didn’t feel comfortable being pressured into handing over 6000 baht so we asked for time to consider it and to call the police station for confirmation. They confirmed over the phone but we did not like being put in that situation of not wanting to offend the police or of being taken advantage of.
Everyone was very polite and we avoided paying but still it was an uncomfortable situation.

I would consider it very unusual, I've never experienced anything like that in my time in Thailand.

I know the police in my village well and I doubt that they would try anything like that with my wife.

The term junglized is often used for farangs that have moved into their wife's village and has a steady diet of Esan food. How many people fit into this group that you know.

Most farangs depend on their Thai wives to do all of the speaking for them as less than 3% can speak Thai. What would they do if their wives pass away or leave. Virtually non of the farangs that live here spend the time to learn to speak, read and write Thai and are totally dependent on a Thai person to do the talking for them. Most farangs do not work and have lots of time to learn the language and culture. Not sure why people don't do this. We often criticize people who come to our own country and do not learn the language. Any comments why farangs don't want to take the time to learn the Thai language and culture?

I would consider it very unusual, I've never experienced anything like that in my time in Thailand.

I know the police in my village well and I doubt that they would try anything like that with my wife.

We, too, considered it very unusual and had never experienced anything like. That is why I shared the experience with you guy, because it was so unusual.

Thanks for the recipe Don, I will surely try it.

VF, we had a similar experience about 2 years ago when some police guys walked into the drive way and sold us some CD's for a police fundraiser.
They showed ID and there were police guys singing on the CD's, but the singing was such that we have forgotten where the CD's are now :-)
One of the reasons why we tend to keep the gate close and locked lately.

The term junglized is often used for farangs that have moved into their wife's village and has a steady diet of Esan food. How many people fit into this group that you know.

Most farangs depend on their Thai wives to do all of the speaking for them as less than 3% can speak Thai. What would they do if their wives pass away or leave. Virtually non of the farangs that live here spend the time to learn to speak, read and write Thai and are totally dependent on a Thai person to do the talking for them. Most farangs do not work and have lots of time to learn the language and culture. Not sure why people don't do this. We often criticize people who come to our own country and do not learn the language. Any comments why farangs don't want to take the time to learn the Thai language and culture?

Perhaps most people come here late in life and really are only interested in sex which they can’t get elsewhere. If they can satisfy their desire for sex, booze and food then they couldn’t care less about anything else. They have no desire to talk with Thais, even their wives, most of the time. At least that is the way I look at it.

Perhaps most people come here late in life and really are only interested in sex which they can’t get elsewhere. If they can satisfy their desire for sex, booze and food then they couldn’t care less about anything else. They have no desire to talk with Thais, even their wives, most of the time. At least that is the way I look at it.

Despite what you think VF, I don't agree that most people come here later on in life purely for sex (not that's there's anything wrong with that).
I think a lot of people retire to Thailand with their partners and or because the standard of living here is cheaper.
I know people who have moved here in their sixties and at their age, they can't be bothered to apply themselves to learn a new language.
Even though speaking Thai would be beneficial, I can understand that.
You came here in your twenties so I guess it's hard for you to understand what it's like for a person who does retire here later in life.
You generally don't hide your disdain for farangs, but we're not all booze hounds and sex tourists.
And even if we are, it's no one else's business really.
You said " If they can satisfy their desire for sex, booze and food then they couldn’t care less about anything else".
There's not much else to concern yourself with is theretongue.png

Despite what you think VF, I don't agree that most people come here later on in life purely for sex (not that's there's anything wrong with that).
I think a lot of people retire to Thailand with their partners and or because the standard of living here is cheaper.
I know people who have moved here in their sixties and at their age, they can't be bothered to apply themselves to learn a new language.
You came here in your twenties so I guess it's hard for you to understand what it's like for a person who does retire here later in life.
You generally don't hide your disdain for farangs, but we're not all booze hounds and sex tourists.
You said " If they can satisfy their desire for sex, booze and food then they couldn’t care less about anything else".
Good to hear from you will27. So old people simply can’t be bothered to apply themselves to learn a new language, according to you. I suppose that is another plausible answer to Don’s question.
You are correct that I do not admire people who make no effort to adapt or understand, yet continually complain about the locals not doing things their way. I figure you don’t go uninvited into someone else’s house and criticize their every action.
Sure it is no one’s business if people wish to remain ignorant but it sure would be nice if they wouldn’t be so critical and negative when it is their own fault they don’t understand what is going on.

Why doesn't the Sausage King have sausages in his Tops Chiang Rai fridge any more?

I've not seen them for months.

Try the bigger freezer next to it, the one with all the steaks and salmon fillets. They have Cumberlands and English breakfast sausages there - not Sausage King, but still very nice. Around 180 baht for 7 decent sized sausages.

E: ah, turns out I have some in the freezer.

I've linked the images because I don't know how to make them smaller on this forum. These are the ones you're looking for.

http://imgur.com/z1xMEZf

http://imgur.com/IurC0vm

Good to hear from you will27. So old people simply can’t be bothered to apply themselves to learn a new language, according to you. I suppose that is another plausible answer to Don’s question.
You are correct that I do not admire people who make no effort to adapt or understand, yet continually complain about the locals not doing things their way. I figure you don’t go uninvited into someone else’s house and criticize their every action.
Sure it is no one’s business if people wish to remain ignorant but it sure would be nice if they wouldn’t be so critical and negative when it is their own fault they don’t understand what is going on.

Do you think that it is never acceptable to raise a critical point about Thailand or your individual experience of Thailand? I personally find some of the issues raised here helpful, in the sense that I learn from others experiences. I don't think there is great merit in taking an extreme position on any issue, whether perennially positive or negative. And I like Thailand, generally speaking.

Do you think that it is never acceptable to raise a critical point about Thailand or your individual experience of Thailand? I personally find some of the issues raised here helpful, in the sense that I learn from others experiences. I don't think there is great merit in taking an extreme position on any issue, whether perennially positive or negative. And I like Thailand, generally speaking.

Don asked the question: “Any comments why farangs don't want to take the time to learn the Thai language and culture?”

Will27 gave a credible answer and threw in the requisite personal remarks about me which I guess are aimed at discrediting my opinion. Clearly my having lived here so long and adapted so well, makes my opinions irrelevant and disdainful.
The question is not what I find acceptable but why people who are so critical of immigrants to their own country do not shine that same light on themselves when they move abroad? I have stated my opinion on this question but I don’t know what your take is.
I do find it interesting that while it was Don who asked the question the spotlight is shining on me.tongue.png

Don asked the question: “Any comments why farangs don't want to take the time to learn the Thai language and culture?”

Will27 gave a credible answer and threw in the requisite personal remarks about me which I guess are aimed at discrediting my opinion. Clearly my having lived here so long and adapted so well, makes my opinions irrelevant and disdainful.
The question is not what I find acceptable but why people who are so critical of immigrants to their own country do not shine that same light on themselves when they move abroad? I have stated my opinion on this question but I don’t know what your take is.
I do find it interesting that while it was Don who asked the question the spotlight is shining on me.tongue.png

My take? On immigrants to the UK, it's up to them really, but their lives would be easier if they could speak and read English. However I suspect that many that raise this as an issue simply don't want them in the first place.

As for Thailand. If you are coming here for the rest of your life it makes sense to make the effort to learn the language, although I suspect it might be quite difficult if you are in an area where TV newsreader Thai is not spoken (I understand that some Thais speak different languages?). Someone in their twilight years may not have undertaken concentrated study for a long time, so perhaps not that easy for them.

As for critical or positive comments, I'm okay with that. My advice to anyone coming to live in Thailand for the first time would be to read and learn as much as possible, good and bad, so that you don't make any major errors after arriving. If TV is restricted to only positive commentary you might arrive unprepared and land in bother. So far that approach has worked well for me.

VF, I don't think I posted a personal remark about you, but you obviously saw it that way.

No malice was intended.

There was also no attempt at discrediting your opinion.

You gave your opinion that basically "most" people here are alcoholics and sex tourists and I disagreed.

I also didn't say your opinions were irrelevant and disdainful, regardless of how long you've lived here.

It's just that, an opinion, we all have them and don't always agree with others.

VF, I don't think I posted a personal remark about you, but you obviously saw it that way.

No malice was intended.

There was also no attempt at discrediting your opinion.

You gave your opinion that basically "most" people here are alcoholics and sex tourists and I disagreed.

I also didn't say your opinions were irrelevant and disdainful, regardless of how long you've lived here.

It's just that, an opinion, we all have them and don't always agree with others.

You did find it necessary to point out my disdain for farangs and my inability to understand what it is like for a person who retires here later in life. I don’t believe either comment is entirely true. I put forth one possible explanation by suggesting that “perhaps” sex is a reason. I still think the lack of sex and/or the lack of money are major reasons for people coming to Thailand and neither reason seems to promote the importance of learning the language as Don eludes to in his belief that only 3% of us speak Thai.

I may not seek out the company of certain types of farangs but I am always polite and never disdainful. I wish I could say I am treated the same. I may not sympathize with older people who come here completely ill prepared and subsequently blame their difficulties on others, but their problems are easy enough to see.
One thing I find lacking in all the criticism of Thailand and Thai people is a rational path forward and how to adapt to life here. The comments are most often that Thais should learn our language and our ways, not the other way around. I feel it is our responsibility to find ways to adapt not just tell Thais what we think is wrong with them and their country. If a person make bad choices, how is that someone else's fault?
It seems easy enough to say it is no one else’s business why a farang comes to live in Thailand but we seem to think it is our business to tell Thais what they should do and how they should do it and blame them for all the stupid things we do. There seems to be an odd double standard and lack of personal responsibility.

Archived