Random Chiang Rai Thoughts

sceadugenga

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While strolling down the street near the Wiang Hotel I saw an Italian restaurant. I decided to go inside and look. Wow what a surprise the chef and owner Is Sasa an old wholesale meat customer of mine in Samui. I was really happy to see him. I had my wife and 2 friends with me. He prepared us an outstanding Italian meal which was the best I have had since I left Bangkok. It is so difficult to find quality farangs food in Chiang Rai because there is such a small number of resident farangs. Looking forward to my next meal there. It was after 18:00 so we had no problem parking on the street just before the hotel.

• 2 weeks later...

My entrepreneurial neighbour, who has always despised the life of a common employee, has slowly built up a children's entertainment business for local parties and other festivities.

His roundabout/hurdy gurdy, call it what you may, has apparently been a success as I noticed a large bundle on his truck today that was apparently a bouncy castle.

The lack of stakes and guy ropes concerns me. 

:sad::shock1::post-4641-1156693976:

• 1 month later...
On 10/11/2016 at 11:36 AM, sceadugenga said:

Two good friends had their much loved dogs die recently, something to reflect on when your dog is growing old.

IMG_0179.JPG

My daughters (our) two year old male chihuahua got out onto the road and was killed just over a year ago. Very sad. Two mornings later Lucy announced quite truthfully that "Dug Dig" had come to see her in the night, and told her not to worry, he was quite happy and had lots of new friends to play with. She was being quite honest.

Strange world sometimes... 

12 hours ago, JAG said:

My daughters (our) two year old male chihuahua got out onto the road and was killed just over a year ago. Very sad. Two mornings later Lucy announced quite truthfully that "Dug Dig" had come to see her in the night, and told her not to worry, he was quite happy and had lots of new friends to play with. She was being quite honest.

Strange world sometimes... 

One of the good things about religion and beliefs.. it can comfort people, she probably had a dream and luckily a good one that comforted her. My dog is also getting old, not sure how long he will live. Its always sad and the older we grow the more we have to think about losing those we love. I worry for my parents, recently my SIL lost her father. I dread the day. 

Good that your daughter got over it in a positive way. 

4 hours ago, robblok said:

One of the good things about religion and beliefs.. it can comfort people, she probably had a dream and luckily a good one that comforted her. My dog is also getting old, not sure how long he will live. Its always sad and the older we grow the more we have to think about losing those we love. I worry for my parents, recently my SIL lost her father. I dread the day. 

Good that your daughter got over it in a positive way. 

She got over it very positively! We now have two adolescent dogs, "Snowball", a white chihuahua bitch I bought her a month or so after "Dug Dig" died (cost me an arm and a leg) and "Cookie" a small brown mongrel bitch we were given at Christmas. With them, a daughter and my wife I am the only male in the household. When they all gang up I have to retreat to the porch for a quiet beer to meditate! Maybe that is why I am sometimes so cantankerous  on here....

You,re right enough about religion and beliefs. I am a Catholic ( practising if not very good at it) and my faith has brought me comfort and strength at bad times in life. It was certainly a help to Lucy in getting through her first traumatic loss at 10 years old. She was comforted by the belief that "Dug Dig" was living with"Prah Jesu", who knows, if I ever make it to those gates I may find him frisking around Saint Michaels feet!

39 minutes ago, JAG said:

She got over it very positively! We now have two adolescent dogs, "Snowball", a white chihuahua bitch I bought her a month or so after "Dug Dig" died (cost me an arm and a leg) and "Cookie" a small brown mongrel bitch we were given at Christmas. With them, a daughter and my wife I am the only male in the household. When they all gang up I have to retreat to the porch for a quiet beer to meditate! Maybe that is why I am sometimes so cantankerous  on here....

You,re right enough about religion and beliefs. I am a Catholic ( practising if not very good at it) and my faith has brought me comfort and strength at bad times in life. It was certainly a help to Lucy in getting through her first traumatic loss at 10 years old. She was comforted by the belief that "Dug Dig" was living with"Prah Jesu", who knows, if I ever make it to those gates I may find him frisking around Saint Michaels feet!

As an atheist not much religion for me. Its hard for me to believe things that are unproven. I am a science / facts guy. Was just saying that that is one of the positive aspects. One I will never have as I am just too skeptical to believe. 

I will miss my dog when its his time.. just like i missed his mother. I am more worried about my parents though. That would be tough. Best not dwell on that one. 

2 hours ago, robblok said:

As an atheist not much religion for me. Its hard for me to believe things that are unproven. I am a science / facts guy. Was just saying that that is one of the positive aspects. One I will never have as I am just too skeptical to believe. 

I will miss my dog when its his time.. just like i missed his mother. I am more worried about my parents though. That would be tough. Best not dwell on that one. 

I lost both of my parents within ten months of each other.  Two years later and I am still dealing with it.:sad:

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/13/2016 at 6:28 PM, robblok said:

Sorry to hear this.. and I really understand you.. its my biggest fear.

Losing your parents is one thing -- watching your parents bury one of their children is really tough to go through.

11 minutes ago, sceadugenga said:

Anyone noticed the lack of "seasonal" muzak in the malls this year?

I hate to dwell on a reason and it's probably not allowed but it's an ill wind that blows no good.

I did notice that the Christmas displays are notably more muted than last year. But I usually complain that the whole Christmas thing is over commercialized anyway, so I'm good with it.  :thumbsup:

Had a drive up over that mountain on Sunday to Doi Chang where I bought some Peaberry coffee beans.

Later we went down to Doi Luang Coffee shop in Mae Suai and bought another pack, which the girl assured me were... same beans, same field... for about half the price. 

Will conduct a tasting...

:coffee1::licklips::cool:

The small amount of burning that has taken place is insignificant. You have to wait until March when we are chocking to death. I wonder why the government wont invoke article S44 and deputize the public to arrest these found burning. Next year will be like all the previous years where they turn their backs to burning and send many people to the hospital. Not only the smoke we had 45 days of 40C or over with 4 days at 43C. This year I plan to go to a place where there is no smoke or death defying heat for 30 days. I don't enjoy being locked in an air conditioned because the government refuses to enforce the existing law.

Every evening the smell of smoke is strong in our area.  Fortunately it doesn't linger too long but locally it can be like sitting on the wrong side of a campfire when the wind shifts.  Since everyone burns, you would have to lockup the entire village, except me of course.:wink:

Smoke - 1 (2).jpg

• 1 year later...

One of our coffee shop regulars came off his motorbike yesterday, suffering facial lacerations and a minor foot fracture.

The hospital advised him that more (expensive) surgery may be necessary.

You older guys really need to be careful out there.

18 hours ago, sceadugenga said:

One of our coffee shop regulars came off his motorbike yesterday, suffering facial lacerations and a minor foot fracture.

The hospital advised him that more (expensive) surgery may be necessary.

You older guys really need to be careful out there.

you are not that young , i put you in the older guy box too(heheh). , sad or the for person who got hurt .

Archived