Random Chiang Rai Thoughts

sceadugenga

VF,

In regards to myself and to coin a phrase: "you hit the nail on the head" in your last sentence:

>>>Sometimes it is not that we don’t understand Thai ways but rather that we do understand but don’t necessarily wish to participate<<<

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Paid my CAT bill recently and was somewhat bemused by brochures on the counter offering sims for Chinese tourists, apparently supplying 24 hours of "in network" calls and unlimited, if somewhat slow, internet for 14 days for 129 baht.

CAT like TOT is about money. In Phuket I had two CAT fiber optic lease lines direct o Bangkok. They supplied the big modem for the mall wifi. The service was great and quick response when I had problems. I gave CAT and Thai Air nice discounts in my restaurant and it paid good dividends. When I would go overseas I would always get a special discount from Thai. CAT kept my customers in the 300 seat covered restaurant happy with wifi.

To months ago I had TOT fiber optic service installed. I pay B600 a month for excellent 20 down and 10 up service. I ha been using BBB but they added so many customers that the service was really slow.

Where are you living Don ? I thought you were out of town. I have tot but only adsl and supposed to be 20 and 10 but more like 7 or 8 and I just got an unheard of 14.16/ 2.30. But its 10.30 at night. I have repeatedly asked for fiber but every time no. So if you have it out of town there still might be hope for me. By the way for my non existent service there charging me 875 baht a month.

I live in Doi Hang which is on the road to the National park 7 km from town. Amphur Mae Yao has had fiber a long time. Pu pla Fah 18 km out of town has had it for a long time. Go to the mall and ask them to pull your address up on Google Earth and then they have a program that will tell you if fiber is there or how far away it is. The whole thing is a mixed bag. The government has ordered TOT to install high speed wifi in 179,000 villages in Thailand. CAT will spend 5 billion on new international gate way. My TOT system works great. It was interesting watching the young guys do the installation and welding individual fibers for the connection. I have 2 boxes. One has the small insulated fiber coming into it and then out to the wifi modem. Pretty slick.

Baan Doi Hang is part of Amphur Muang. I waited a long time but they finally put the fiber out here. In 15 years I have had everything including IpStar and none has ever worked well until I put in the fiber. I have spent all the years busting the ball of TOT. One time that a group of 18 people here they started testing my system and TOT went off line. They had to leave. It used to be when they saw me coming into the main office the internet people would run upstairs. I always followed them up. It turns ot that all of the control is done by Chiang Mai and they don't have much says so.

Recently i wrote up a very nice thank you letter to TOT and delivered it to the mall supervisor. What a pleasure it was to do this after 15 years of aggravation. Times are changing and the military is serious about Thailand entering the digital age.

• 3 weeks later...

The dog's looking his age today, yesterday some small chickens came under the gate leaving the larger and extremely vindictive mother hen on the outside so he was in hot pursuit all day.

I think I got them all out but he's still hobbling around hopefully checking each clump of bushes.

The local ants were celebrating the arrival of the rain with massed winged fornication last night.

Virtually impossible to keep the little blighters out, they were in through even briefly opened doors.

The local ants were celebrating the arrival of the rain with massed winged fornication last night.

Virtually impossible to keep the little blighters out, they were in through even briefly opened doors.

The last two nights have been terrible at our place.

• 1 month later...

Got a visitor coming so will probably take a run up to Doi Chang in the next few days.

Quite looking forward to it, clean cool air and will be able to see for miles when the cloud breaks.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Watson's declined to exchange them, I'd lost the receipt, but gave me two sample tubes of whitening cream as a  consolation prize.

Day deteriorated further when I walked around to the clocktower optical shop to see about new frames for my glasses and they have closed their doors.

At least Tops gave me a free laundry basket as some part of my membership card rewards.

Callooh callay...

I rather liked this, pure class.

I've become pretty philosophical about a lot of things, including death. It doesn't get to me. I'm married to the woman I love, and I've done a lot of the things I wanted to do. At this point, the way I feel, if it's over, it's over.

Gene Wilder

RIP Gene.

Archived