Thailand attack: British family 'vow never to return' after savage street attack

webfact

To all the ThaiVisa commentators advising that people stay away from Thailand, how many of you will follow your own advice and either leave Thailand, or if like most, you don't live here, will never come back to Thailand again ?

Thought so.

I'm leaving next week, haven't bothered to renew my 1 year retirement extension.

Lucky you, I hear the UK is wonderful, enjoy.

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

EGO on both sides

should have just walked away

http://stv.tv/news/scotland/1352193-scots-family-attacked-and-beaten-by-gang-in-thailand/

"According to the account, "gangs of Thai youths were priming themselves to start punching Westerners" in the area before the attack."

This wasn't a "walk away" situation. The Thais wanted blood and they got it.

I would disagree with that. There would not have been the length of pre-assault discussion as shown on the CCTV clip if they were just out for blood as alleged.

EGO on both sides

http://stv.tv/news/scotland/1352193-scots-family-attacked-and-beaten-by-gang-in-thailand/

"According to the account, "gangs of Thai youths were priming themselves to start punching Westerners" in the area before the attack."

I would disagree with that. There would not have been the length of pre-assault discussion as shown on the CCTV clip if they were just out for blood as alleged.

True. As per my post above, a farang in a wet shirt walked right between the main thug and a friend (before he became involved) and watched the mother slap one of the guys before walking away; a second farang tried to calm the mum down as the main thug coward-punched the dad then literally threw his hand up in the air - neither of these guys were attacked or punched.

One unrelated farang was attacked after trying to intervene, but he, too, walked away after throwing a small Thai woman to the ground.

One more data point.

The wee hours are for sleeping.

What happened was despicable. But the cautionary tale I'm taking away is that it happened in the wee hours in an area full of drunken people.

Since I have to sleep some time, I'm going to try to do most of my sleeping during the dangerous hours, and my holidaying during the less dangerous hours.

On an aside, it's a shame we'll probably never get to hear what the actual punishment will be. Great that some of them have been arrested, but that's just an inconvenience.

EGO on both sides

it is not "alleged", it is a fact. A farang man in Hua Hin who stepped in to help stop the fight was interview by many western press and also told the story first hand here in Hua Hin. He was warned by his Thai girlfriend who heard the gang members saying they were there to attack Farangs. And they did.

i reported this story the morning after the attack. But TV locked the thread right away.

I was trying to warn others about the attack as there was one more night of Songkran in Hua Hin.

I contacted TV but no reply.

Seems to me that the guy who locked the thread gave his reasons and confirmed that he would re open the thread once a credible news source confirmed the story, can't see what he did wrong.

Without a reliable and verifiable news source, this can only be regarded as rumour.

CLOSED

If someone can provide the evidence, from a verifiable source perhaps it can be re-opened.

To all the ThaiVisa commentators advising that people stay away from Thailand, how many of you will follow your own advice and either leave Thailand, or if like most, you don't live here, will never come back to Thailand again ?

Thought so.

Entirely irrelevant. Expats and frequent visitors posting to this forum are a minuscule minority of the foreigners staying in Thailand at a given time, and even if such a despicable event seriously harms their motivation to be in the LOS, they more or less all have overwhelming reasons to stay or come back, such as having GF/BF/family/children/house/job etc.

Will it cost Thailand a small drop in the number of arrivals of the mass of "regular", "ordinary" tourists who are what's relevant to the economy? I would think so.

I'd say the tourists started it and I'm not an idiot.

I beg to differ

I agree with him, however the Thai's response was absolutely disgusting behaviour that is totally unjustifiable.

The tourists certainly did themselves no favours at all.

What started out as an argument between the Thai in the white shirt and the Thai in the black t-shirt with red square (the same guy that floored all three tourists) escalated when the white shirt walks into the son, who literally pushed him out of the way - at 23 seconds - but apart from being pushed, stumbling and smashing his face into the step, no punches were thrown up to this point.

When the mother confronted white shirt, black t-shirt was out of the picture having a conversation with friends letting a farang walk through their group without a second thought. This farang stopped to watch the exact moment the mother slapped white shirt - at 55 seconds - and smartly decided to walk away.

Black t-shirt walks back of to put his arm around white shirt—the same time as son gets to his feet and joins his mother—and the mother went straight for him - even though up to this point he had been uninvolved and was not even aware the mum had slapped white shirt.

The son walks around and grabs black t-shirt while a little weed appears to headset mum. The dad then punches black t-shirt to the face while son holds him - at 1:18. At this stage a black cap wearing farang intervenes and appears to try to advise the mum to let it go. By this stage, it was too late; son had let black t-shirt go and he walks around the group coward-punching the dad, the knocking mum to the ground followed by the son.

I'm certainly not saying the tourists deserved to be set upon, but they're definitely not the innocents most people are making them out to be.

Edit: before I get flamed, let me just reiterate nothing justifies kicking someone to the head and stamping on people while they're down, especially to an elderly lady.

The dad didn't punch black shirt #1, he punched the guy that got slapped.

The police refused to show them the CCTV footage. Good thing there is a site called You Tube they can access from any smart phone.

Numpty.

What a great opportunity for Myanmar or Vietnam to offer this family a week paid holiday after this ordeal. Boost their numbers and get new British tourists.

If knock unconscious, in Vietnam, they might also been missing their kidneys after an attack. Western organs bring a higher price than little vietnames people.

Thought so.

How many times are you going to post this? You posted this yesterday on the Hua Him forum. You are just like a broken record. Just saying, not being offensive or bullying. Pointing out.

I have watched this videos many times. I just realized. Most of the blame for what happens is a result of the Brits not letting a shove be dismissed and go home to their room. It was after midnight in an alcohol fed environment. A small incident became big.If the Brits would have simply brushed it off and walked away nothing would have came of it.The next morning they could have discussed over breakfast the ignorant <deleted> who push the son.But no late at night start giving a lesson in manners. What did they expect.They must have been drunk too.

That said I donot condone sucker punch,s. And the kick to the mother made me angry every time I watched it. I would have probably went after the young guy who did it if I had been present.in anger response.The Thai,s went to far but it was the streets at night and every one was probably drunk and reason was not part of the scenario.

It is always best to walk away.

Thought so.

How many times are you going to post this? You posted this yesterday on the Hua Him forum. You are just like a broken record. Just saying, not being offensive or bullying. Pointing out.

Yes I made a similar post on an entirely different thread yesterday, and what ?

I'm not offended, just bemused at your obvious lack of rationale.

It's a Different Thread !!!!

I agree with him, however the Thai's response was absolutely disgusting behaviour that is totally unjustifiable.

The tourists certainly did themselves no favours at all.

What started out as an argument between the Thai in the white shirt and the Thai in the black t-shirt with red square (the same guy that floored all three tourists) escalated when the white shirt walks into the son, who literally pushed him out of the way - at 23 seconds - but apart from being pushed, stumbling and smashing his face into the step, no punches were thrown up to this point.

When the mother confronted white shirt, black t-shirt was out of the picture having a conversation with friends letting a farang walk through their group without a second thought. This farang stopped to watch the exact moment the mother slapped white shirt - at 55 seconds - and smartly decided to walk away.

Black t-shirt walks back of to put his arm around white shirt—the same time as son gets to his feet and joins his mother—and the mother went straight for him - even though up to this point he had been uninvolved and was not even aware the mum had slapped white shirt.

The son walks around and grabs black t-shirt while a little weed appears to headset mum. The dad then punches black t-shirt to the face while son holds him - at 1:18. At this stage a black cap wearing farang intervenes and appears to try to advise the mum to let it go. By this stage, it was too late; son had let black t-shirt go and he walks around the group coward-punching the dad, the knocking mum to the ground followed by the son.

I'm certainly not saying the tourists deserved to be set upon, but they're definitely not the innocents most people are making them out to be.

Edit: before I get flamed, let me just reiterate nothing justifies kicking someone to the head and stamping on people while they're down, especially to an elderly lady.

The dad didn't punch black shirt #1, he punched the guy that got slapped.

Yes, it appears you are correct. I lost sight of him, and black t-shirt fell backwards after dad's punch (while still being held by son), but he was on the ground and got up delirious before wandering off all innocently... only to return right at the end to stomp three times on the son's head... scum.

In 25 years of living working and visiting Thailand I nor any of my family have ever got into trouble,could it be that we don't go to bar areas ,at 2 in the morning ,get drunk and get into situations that can escalate,? But just live normal every day lives ,if they just shut up and moved on this would not of happened. However the Thai guys that carried it to these extremes are scum and should do time

alcohol and ego's

video says it all

who is to say that the Thai's weren't saying lets get the foreigners meaning (as it is Songkran) with water pistols and buckets. I have never heard of Thai's setting out to attack foreigners on such a festive new years time.

Thank goodness the British media and others have well publicized this tragic and brutal attack.

Yes. Let this be a warning to tourists not to push, slap and punch Thai guys because they can be brutal when provoked.

is that the lesson you take from this brutal attack on an elderly couple by a gang of drunk Thai cowards? The lesson I take from it is DON'T GO TO THAILAND!

Some guys are making it sound like the farang family were on the prowl, looking for a fight against the thais.

All the evidence shows that it was actually the other way around.

Who? Can you quote which posts are making it sound like the farang family were on the prowl, looking for a fight against the thais?

I've only read—and posted— the facts as shown in the non-edited version of the video. The whole situation could have been de-escalated by either party several times; the farang family struck first and came out much worse off.

Nothing can justify what the Thai scumbags did once the family were on the ground, and not one poster has tried to do that.

Some guys are making it sound like the farang family were on the prowl, looking for a fight against the thais.

Who? Can you quote which posts are making it sound like the farang family were on the prowl, looking for a fight against the thais?

I've only read—and posted— the facts as shown in the non-edited version of the video. The whole situation could have been de-escalated by either party several times; the farang family struck first and came out much worse off.

Nothing can justify what the Thai scumbags did once the family were on the ground, and not one poster has tried to do that.

I see a drunk thai ruffian walking like he owned the street (probably does as well) swinging his arm into the farang guy who pushed his arm away….this one act led to it all unfolding… so if you want to talk about what STARTED it, that's it right there.

There is no audio on that video, so it's unclear who said what….that information is critical to piece together what else transpired.

But we can all agree that the use of force by the thais was brutal, savage, excessive and revealed extremely poor character and upbringing. They shat all over Thailand's image…no decent thai or farang would, or should, defend them.

I see a drunk thai ruffian walking like he owned the street (probably does as well) swinging his arm into the farang guy who pushed his arm away….this one act led to it all unfolding… so if you want to talk about what STARTED it, that's it right there.

There is no audio on that video, so it's unclear who said what….that information is critical to piece together what else transpired.

But we can all agree that the use of force by the thais was brutal, savage, excessive and revealed extremely poor character and upbringing. They shat all over Thailand's image…no decent thai or farang would, or should, defend them.

And no one has defended them. I note the absence in your reply of any quote proving your assertion that the farang family were on the prowl, looking for a fight against the thais. Just like there could be no quotes of any posters defending the Thais.

I'm sure every single poster so far in this thread agrees that the force by the Thais was brutal, savage, excessive and revealed extremely poor character and upbringing, but, as you say, it was all started by the son pushing the white shirt guy out of his way, and was escalated by his protective mum slapping the same guy.

As three farangs moved through the scene unharmed, it can hardly be argued that the Thais were out to beat any farang that they saw - even if someone overheard them saying so.

We can all agree, though, that this has done untold damage to Thailand's reputation, especially considering the fact that the edited versions (cutting out the mum slapping first) are being shown overseas.

No matter who started it and who should have walked away:

Sucker punching the women right in the face and the kick to the head while she was trying to get up is entirely uncalled for.

If there was an offense by one party, the other party is supposed to retaliate with equal amount of force. In this situation, the Thais clearly used excessive and unnecessary force.

Btw, is there a death penalty in Thailand? Maybe public execution for people who do this might be a deterrent?

EGO on both sides

" Set upon"? No mention of the woman FIRST slapping and pushing and sonny walking into people on the street looking for a fight. Looks to me like the one guy she slapped tried to walk away...when Lewis Jr decided to play with another, he came back.

This family practically begged for an ass stomping and boy, they got one. Bet they were drunk, too.

I'll add them to the tally of British tourists overindulging and paying a price.

EGO on both sides

it is not "alleged", it is a fact. A farang man in Hua Hin who stepped in to help stop the fight was interview by many western press and also told the story first hand here in Hua Hin. He was warned by his Thai girlfriend who heard the gang members saying they were there to attack Farangs. And they did.

He said, she said.... then he said that he saw her... and she was ..wait .. ok first he saw here, and she said... and it was on facebook that she was.. I mean he said... um huh... wait... um

Does not make a fact...

Thank goodness the British media and others have well publicized this tragic and brutal attack.

Yes. Let this be a warning to tourists not to push, slap and punch Thai guys because they can be brutal when provoked.

Yep providing they outnumber you and are battling old pensioners. Brave heroes aren't they just.

don't take a knife to a gun fight

Archived