short question to exempt exempt entry

Hey guys,

So Im planning to cross the border at the friendship bridge to Laos and then turn right back and move back in to thailand to get a exempt visa stamp.

Im from a G7 country and made my last 2 SETV in Vientianne Laos.That wont be a problem or will it be ?

I just want to make sure I dont get any problems there.

I know that this question is answered probably a million times already but I wasnt able to find a thread in that regards the the search-function. (I might be blind facepalm.gif )

Thanks guys !

wai2.gif

I have been told and warned by immigration that you cannot do more then 6 visa exempt entries in a year.

So, you should be fine.

While this does not affect the OP, who should be fine, I would caution those reading this forum that generalizations like those above are dangerously inaccurate.

The rules applied for visa exempt entries vary according (at least) to the border crossing or airport used for entry, the individual immigration office, and probably your nationality and general appearance.

The "6 visa exempt entries in a year" probably arises from the fact that the immigration computer system generates a warning when frequent visa exempt entries are used. This warning often appears after 6 visa exempt entries (not necessarily within a one year period) but sometimes only appears after more entries. The warning is not an instruction to deny entry, only an indication that the entry should be scrutinized more closely than usual to ensure the traveler is a bona fide visitor, not working, with the financial wherewithal to support his/her stay. At airports, questioning is likely, with (in most cases) no problem. You may be told to get a visa next time. At some land borders, they may deny you entry with the lie that "the computer made them do it".

Outside of this, some land borders (most with Myanmar) do not permit border hops to get a visa exempt entry. Some land crossings will not permit back-to-back visa exempt entries, regardless of the number of previous visa exempt entries.

Beware generalizations!

• 9 months later...
8 minutes ago, teddybeer said:

Had anyone been actually denied visa exempt entry after another 6 in the year? Is there any official rule?

At airports there is no official rule that limits the number of visa exempt exempt you can do over any amount of time or the total stay on them. The 6 entry alert is only meant to inform the officer that he should review your history of entries to determine it they are out/in visa runs.

Since the first of the year there is a new rule that you can only do two visa exempt entries per calendar year at land border crossings. There is also no 15 day entry rule at border crossings. All nationalities get a 30 day entry.

I spent 1 hour in holding room at immigration at phuket airport.3 days ago.

They were trying to give me just 15 days.

I did a in out same day. To kl.

There was no reason for holding me up. I have just 1 tourist visa and extension and 1 visa exempt in 2016. 4 months in country in past 18 months.

Guy was trying real hard to not tell me why.

I asked if he did not want me here anymore and he said yes. And then he stamped me in for 30 days w out any further words for me.

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

At airports there is no official rule that limits the number of visa exempt exempt you can do over any amount of time or the total stay on them. The 6 entry alert is only meant to inform the officer that he should review your history of entries to determine it they are out/in visa runs.

Since the first of the year there is a new rule that you can only do two visa exempt entries per calendar year at land border crossings. There is also no 15 day entry rule at border crossings. All nationalities get a 30 day entry.

So if none of my trips was visa run, there is nothing to worry about with 6-8 visa exempt entries per year? 

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

3 hours ago, quadperfect said:

I spent 1 hour in holding room at immigration at phuket airport.3 days ago.

They were trying to give me just 15 days.

I did a in out same day. To kl.

There was no reason for holding me up. I have just 1 tourist visa and extension and 1 visa exempt in 2016. 4 months in country in past 18 months.

Guy was trying real hard to not tell me why.

I asked if he did not want me here anymore and he said yes. And then he stamped me in for 30 days w out any further words for me.

3 hours ago, quadperfect said:

Can the same day return be the reason? It seems the visa runs is what they are after. 

Edited by teddybeer
quote copied twice for unclear reasons