Leaking Hua Hin attack footage "damaged the country" say authorities

rooster59

A province spokesman said that the footage was evidential material and was their property and bringing it into the public domain was both damaging to the country and an infringement of rights.

They shouldn't really complain. I'm sure the police were able to hold onto plenty 'evidential material' following the Koh Tao murders of David Miller and Hannah Witheridge to ensure damage to the island's tourism was as minimal as possible. 's

How can this laughable threat be taken seriously when the very people who showed no sensitivity (police and rescue workers) posted the graphic pictures of the brutally murdered Hannah and David to the web?

I would have thought that anyone making any sort of film on a mobile device automatically owns the copyright. Is Thailand any different?

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been here my fair share of years but I'll never get my head wrapped around as to what the thinking is. If they feel like they are being "shamed" even to the smallest degree then the whole world is coming apart . . . yet, they have no shame about anything they do!

Hope the English press picks up the video of the girl being kicked unconscious by a bunch of bikers sent by some guy's wife that demonstrate that an attach, like the British one, is very common ..

According to a British friend of mine, it is ALL OVER the news in England, and apparently has been picked up by major news outlets around the world.

Well it was in the Daily Mail yesterday ...

And the Telegraph

Every single baby born in Thailand is brainwashed from birth to believe that Thailand is not only the finest country in the world but it is also the largest. This is the literal teaching they receive every day in school and is enforced by the press and the TV. Along with this is the implication that all foreigners are by nature inferior, somehow not quite human, and to be tolerated, at best. At worst, particularly with young Thai men (who have a mental age of an adolescent out of control with an excess of testosterone) farangs are to not to be tolerated, given the slightest excuse. Add to this cultural belief that any kind of loss of face concerning a farang needs addressing immediately, and the aggression and hatred bursts out.

This wasn't just someone pushing back to save face. This was an outburst of hatred and rage - coming back again and again to punch and kick the old people who were already semi-conscious on the ground.

If further argument is needed, the same culture teaches Thai people to venerate the aged. Which they do. Unless the old people are less than human and somewhere between an animal and a person - a foreigner.

It is totally irrelevant who pushed first or if the farangs started it or not. This incident is yet another example that Thailand is not a civilised nation in the way the rest of the world understands the concept. This is a country where there is so much dissatisfaction and aggression that the name of the daily exercise for everyone is to make everything *appear* wonderful and keep things in line with way that the Thais like to perceive themselves - smiling and gentle. In other words - do absolutely anything at all to save face.

Unfortunately for Thailand, again and again and again, the instantaneous nature of social media and its world-wide coverage is revealing the lies and cover-ups almost daily to the rest of the world. And the more it happens, the more laughable the Thai reaction, as they panic and flap about pathetically with implausible explanations and responses which only serve to dig them deeper in the shit, as they desperately try to save some last despairing shred of face, like senseless schoolkids babbling blatant lies at the teacher.

Very sadly, I think it's all going to get a lot worse before it begins to get any better.

Excellent post. Thank you.

Every single baby born in Thailand is brainwashed from birth to believe that Thailand is not only the finest country in the world but it is also the largest. This is the literal teaching they receive every day in school and is enforced by the press and the TV. Along with this is the implication that all foreigners are by nature inferior, somehow not quite human, and to be tolerated, at best. At worst, particularly with young Thai men (who have a mental age of an adolescent out of control with an excess of testosterone) farangs are to not to be tolerated, given the slightest excuse. Add to this cultural belief that any kind of loss of face concerning a farang needs addressing immediately, and the aggression and hatred bursts out.

I've seen Thai women, supposedly adult, in a childish tantrum, beating their children almost senseless - this is with their own kind. And you only have to watch the video of this savage and brutal attack (in Hua Hin) to glimpse the fury and hatred that is under the surface of so many people in Thailand.

This wasn't just someone pushing back to save face. This was an outburst of hatred and rage - coming back again and again to punch and kick the old people who were already semi-conscious on the ground.

If further argument is needed, the same culture teaches Thai people to venerate the aged. Which they do. Unless the old people are less than human and somewhere between an animal and a person - a foreigner.

It is totally irrelevant who pushed first or if the farangs started it or not. This incident is yet another example that Thailand is not a civilised nation in the way the rest of the world understands the concept. This is a country where there is so much dissatisfaction and aggression that the name of the daily exercise for everyone is to make everything *appear* wonderful and keep things in line with way that the Thais like to perceive themselves - smiling and gentle. In other words - do absolutely anything at all to save face.

Unfortunately for Thailand, again and again and again, the instantaneous nature of social media and its world-wide coverage is revealing the lies and cover-ups almost daily to the rest of the world. And the more it happens, the more laughable the Thai reaction, as they panic and flap about pathetically with implausible explanations and responses which only serve to dig them deeper in the shit, as they desperately try to save some last despairing shred of face, like senseless schoolkids babbling blatant lies to the teacher.

Very sadly, I think it's all going to get a lot worse before it begins to get any better.

Exactly. Let's not forget what the Thais did to hundreds of thousands of Vietnamese boat people. And remember the beating of the hanging student at T...............t?

So it's ok to release cctv footage of robberies, assaults, road accidents, when it suits the BIB as long as just Thais - but assault against foreigners not allowed as "image to country damaged" and "video our property" when it suits - the people who run this country live in cuckoo land and can only see it getting worse - do as I say not what I do!!!!!

But the elephant-in-the-room in all these threads about the state of things in los, is not what will be done about IT, but how MUCH of IT each of you will take before you decide enough-is-enough, and take the decision to pack up and leave ? There is after all, something deranged about ranting on and on about how awful it all is and at the same time volunteering to remain.

How much? Not much more for me.

Every single baby born in Thailand is brainwashed from birth to believe that Thailand is not only the finest country in the world but it is also the largest. This is the literal teaching they receive every day in school and is enforced by the press and the TV. Along with this is the implication that all foreigners are somehow not quite human, and to be tolerated, at best. At worst, particularly with young Thai men (who have a mental age of an adolescent out of control with an excess of testosterone) farangs are to not to be tolerated, given the slightest excuse. Add to this cultural belief any kind of loss of face concerning a farang, and the hatred and fear bursts out.

I've seen Thai women, supposedly adult, in a childish tantrum, beating their children almost senseless - this is with their own kind. And you only have to watch the video of this savage and brutal attack (in Hua Hin) to glimpse the fury and hatred that is under the surface of so many people in Thailand.

Unfortunately for Thailand, again and again and again, the instantaneous nature of social media and its world-wide coverage is revealing the lies and cover-ups almost daily to the rest of the world. And the more it happens, the more laughable the Thai reaction, as they panic and flap about pathetically with implausible explanations and responses which only serve to dig them deeper in the shit, as they desperately try to save some last despairing shred of face, like senseless schoolkids babbling blatant lies to the teacher.

Rob, while I understand and agree with much of your post, and am disgusted by the cowardly treatment of the Welsh tourists, particularly an elderly lady, to say that all Thais are painted with the same brush is a rather extreme form of generalisation and stereotyping. Last year, my brother (Australia, 62) was king hit by his son-in-law (40) and then kicked while he was laying on the ground. Some people get drunk, and some people get violent when drunk. Perhaps Thailand has a higher than average proportion of this personality type, I'm not sure. Surely, neither are you!

Trouble with Thai guys is that they have no woman left.

I have heard many Thai woman say, they are not interested in Thai guys 'AT ALL'

And how many Western men take Thai woman back to their country to live, thousands do,

It is a way out of poverty for most of them, like winning the lottery.

Not many Thai guys have much to offer a woman compared to a Westerner, even a poor one.

And I guess there are not too many Western woman wanting to take a Thai guy back home with them ?

Too must testerone, no woman, equals too much hatred, and having a skin full, just brings it out like this...

I'm not suggesting this for a moment but can you imagine the s-h-i-t-storm if a farang kicked an old Thai lady unconscious whilst she was on the floor..

we'd all be lynched!

No, that would be 'mind blown' if ever that happened.

I witnessed the grief a young lady got for simply pointing her feet at an elderly Thai some years ago; one of those always in the memory moments.

Was it just me or did the rest of you see the mother push her son who fell like a deck of cards then she slapped the The Thai man in the face?

The media title of British family being attacked is nonsense I have walked on Soy Bintabaht probably hundreds of times and never had any problems, this foul mouthed granny thought she was at home in Glasgow where 'a man would never lift his hands". my sympathy would lie with the dad,having to take a grown up son on holiday having to wear that shirt she bought him and having a wife with more testosterone than he has.

Mai kho jai

I too have walked hundreds of times in that area too. And enjoyed living in Thailand for over 15 years. I know it well. Most of the time you are correct, I too, the majority of times, have seen nothing. But I have experienced Songkhran there three times and every time I saw fights and violence. The same night this happened there were other incidents of violence. I know two bar owners, one of whom closed as he could not be doing with the hassle and problems. The majority of people of course were not behaving in that way, but sadly some were. The son you speak of works in Singapore and met his parents in Thailand, as he has done before, for a holiday. They are not as far as I know from Glasgow. But maybe you are right. She was not foul mouthed and many people have come forward and said what nice people they are. So why you choose to be so horrible, I do not know. Tells us more about your personal issues, then about the topic . They were out enjoying themselves and there are photos of them having a nice time with Thai people, smiling.

I think the points a small number of people (most see it as it is) are missing is this was a disgusting act of brutality. There is no excuse for four young guys to beat a family in such a vicious and cowardly way. You don't kick an old lady in the face and do this. Period. No body who has half a brain and any decency in their body, does this. In my part of the world and in most people I know minds, this is just disgusting and the mark of a coward. Someone who has no respect. Idiots to say the least. The majority of people look at them so, too.

The only people to blame are the thugs. I have experienced an older person be rude to me, but I do not hit them.That is of course the lady or any of her family were rude. I doubt very much they were. It is no excuse. Personally I know that area on Songkhran, it was just a bunch of cowardly, young thugs drunk, who have no respect for women or older people. It is they who have brought shame on Thailand and I know most Thai people are disgusted too by their actions. Many of them choosing to apologize on their Facebook pages. Most Thai's think is is as horrible, as we all do. So you must be a tiny minority of people who have some sort of issue yourself. Violence happens all over the world, we all know that, but we are not talking about anywhere else. We are talking about this specific incident.

What I find even more pathetic is to hear the excuse we were drunk. Yes and ? So were millions of other people all over Thailand. They were not beating old people up. No excuse and makes them look even more cowardly. Act like men and take responsibility.

Maybe think before you write, as it is embarrassing for you to let other people see this sort of childish banter.

Was it just me or did the rest of you see the mother push her son who fell like a deck of cards then she slapped the The Thai man in the face?

The media title of British family being attacked is nonsense I have walked on Soy Bintabaht probably hundreds of times and never had any problems, this foul mouthed granny thought she was at home in Glasgow where 'a man would never lift his hands". my sympathy would lie with the dad,having to take a grown up son on holiday having to wear that shirt she bought him and having a wife with more testosterone than he has.

Mai kho jai

The attackers who did the damage all came out of nowhere , long after the slapping. Amazed YOU can't see that too.

This begs the question ...

Do you think the police would have arrested these guys if the footage hadn't been leaked?

This question creates another question ...

Why did the police just now arrest these criminals if they had the video for two weeks before the leak?

Worth repeating. Blatant attempt to cover up the attack, just like withholding Cctv footage on koh tao deaths.

post-18167-0-72168700-1462010372_thumb.j

The video would have gotten out anyway. This guy in the photo is obviously holding his phone and recording this horrible incident. No doubt countless more of the sheeple in the crowd are doing the same thing.

What would the army do? Hunt them all down for attitude adjustment? Charge them with treason?

Had the Brits involved prevailed, this foul-mouthed battleaxe would have been hailed as some sort of hero.

As it happened, they got their asses kicked, so now she is an "elderly woman".

Get your facts right. Kicking someones ass doesn't threaten their life, kicking someone full in the face [especially a weak female] most certainly does. The lady is very lucky to be alive, a little more power behind that kick, and she wouldn't be. Their neighbors describe them as a kind and well loved couple.

Mai kho jai

There has been no report of this in the Scottish press, why? 1.30 am drunk tourist attacks a Thai national while he and his friends celebrated Thai ney year.

I must say that your post only highlights the bigotry that some posters seem to have toward this British family.

"this foul mouthed granny thought she was at home in Glasgow"

If you had given the article more than a perfunctory glance, you would see that the family was from Wales, not Scotland

"The media title of British family being attacked is nonsense"

So what would you call it then - a friendly type of Happy New Year/Songkran greeting?

"There has been no report of this in the Scottish press, why?"

Already explained above, but there has been plenty of press coverage about it since the details were "leaked" - hence the authorities saying that the footage damaged the country

"1.30 am drunk tourist attacks a Thai national while he and his friends celebrated Thai ney year."

Sorry, but who attacked who? Who ended up unconscious after a "Thai national" (Oh - and a few of his Thai national friends) celebrated the ney New Year?

No matter what was said, the resultant violence was totally unwarranted, and as far as your post is concerned, I would suggest that readers print it off, and put it to good use in the toilet where it belongs!

Agree with all of you guys.

But aren't Bradley/Chelsea Manning and Edward Snowden, the infamous US whistleblowers

damaging US reputation by leaking information the public shouldn't know about ?

Yes, truth can hurt badly. Freedom for Manning and Snowden !!!

What's damaging the country's reputation is young Thai cowards like these ones and the messed up police force! Good that someone got the video into the public for everyone to see and not for the police to hide!

This was a vicious attack but to say it was a random and totally unprovoked attack is untruthful or at least misleading. Unfortunately it was a sad case of accidental bumping that turned into a tragic situation due to poor decisions by everyone involved. There is never a reason to viciously hit anyone when they are down on the ground...especially an old man and an old woman. That said all three tourists in my opinion escalated the situation instead of just walking away when they had opportunities to do so. If you watch the video closely you see the two Thai men walking and arguing before the son bumps into one of them. So the Thai man is already pissed off when he gets bumped and so he then pushes the son...the son unfortunately loses his balance and falls down. The mother then argues with the Thai man and eventually slaps him on the face (she could have walked away or just helped her son to get up). Then there is a melee and it looks to me that the father throws a punch or pushes one of the Thai men (it's hard to see as people are blocking the full view) and the son then restrains the Thai man to keep him from hitting his father (the father and son could have walked away before this scuffle). The father moves away from the crowd and the son releases the Thai man...but the Thai man circles around "to get" the father who had either pushed him or hit him. After that it was an unwarranted vicious assault and the perpetrators should go to jail. But to say the whole situation was an unprovoked random attack by a Thai gang out to attack foreigners for the fun of it is in my opinion not true and doesn't tell the whole story.

Archived