Food

KC 71

I won't say favorite...I don't think I even have a favorite but I spent two years in Morocco many years ago and loved the food there. It's a very cross-cultural country with many influences: Middle Eastern, Mediterranean, African, French and Spanish. Incredible soups, salads and especially tajines: lamb or goat stew slow cooked in a unique clay cassarole served with cous-cous.

Most houses have garden courtyards and sitting in the afternoon shade sipping a sweet mint tea is to me, one of life's great pleasures.

I like Norwegian foods as I'm Norwegian. Especially Norwegian breakfests (typically bread, gauda cheeze, caviar and so on) but also Norwegian pan pizzas, norwegian burgers, pytt-i-panne, reindeer kebab, reindeer stroganoff, norwegian rice pudding (risgrøt)... just to mention a very few things that came to mind, but I do eat much mexican, indian and thai foods too, and occationally African and other Middle-Eastern foods, as well as chicken wings and other international foods.

I can't say any favorite country, as all the countries I mentioned also has much crappy foods, especially Norway and Thailand...

I like Norwegian foods as I'm Norwegian. Especially Norwegian breakfests (typically bread, gauda cheeze, caviar and so on) but also Norwegian pan pizzas, norwegian burgers, pytt-i-panne, reindeer kebab, reindeer stroganoff, norwegian rice pudding (risgrøt)... just to mention a very few things that came to mind, but I do eat much mexican, indian and thai foods too, and occationally African and other Middle-Eastern foods, as well as chicken wings and other international foods.

I can't say any favorite country, as all the countries I mentioned also has much crappy foods, especially Norway and Thailand...

Norwegian cheese! Norwegian cheese!!!! I lived with a Norwegian when I was a student and he couldn't stop going on about the cheese, how much he missed it, how he couldn't wait to get back to the land of real cheese - none of that nasty Cheddar or Red Leicester nonsense.

Anyway. He brought some back after Christmas. White fat. bah.gif

Two possibilities. 1) There are two people in the world who like Norwegian cheese. 2) You are Ulf, and you lived in Great George Street in Glasgow in 1987!wai.gif

Mamma Mia Italy for me too, will never forget that first Italian "real"Pizza and bounissimo Fragola Gelato .........my Favourite.........way back in 1975

On top of that Italians are soooooooo friendly.............hell why Im not back there I dunno!!

Plan on a trip there mid summer with the Wife who wants to see what she calls "Bombay".....Pompeii , although i think Herculaneum will be better.

I worked offshore for Norwegian companies for 3 years and Norwegian food has got to be the most boring food I have ever eaten. Basically a diet of boiled fish and potatoes. Scandinavian food in general is crap, the closer you get to the Mediterranean the better the food.

Norwegian cheese! Norwegian cheese!!!! I lived with a Norwegian when I was a student and he couldn't stop going on about the cheese, how much he missed it, how he couldn't wait to get back to the land of real cheese - none of that nasty Cheddar or Red Leicester nonsense.

Anyway. He brought some back after Christmas. White fat. bah.gif

Two possibilities. 1) There are two people in the world who like Norwegian cheese. 2) You are Ulf, and you lived in Great George Street in Glasgow in 1987!wai.gif

Most foreigners will say the norwegian yellow/white cheese is quite tasteless or mild comparred to elsewhere, but we love it. If its two things i got to have, even in Thailand, it is Mill's Caviar and Norwegian cheese. The caviar is actually occationally sold in Tesco Lotus. It cost over 200 just for a tube, but last time I bought 20 tubes 5555.

One thing i miss though is reindeer meat. Anyone know where to get it in Thailand?

I worked offshore for Norwegian companies for 3 years and Norwegian food has got to be the most boring food I have ever eaten. Basically a diet of boiled fish and potatoes. Scandinavian food in general is crap, the closer you get to the Mediterranean the better the food.
I couldn't agree more. The traditional Norwegian food is utterly boring, dry and idealess. Never liked it.

But the "new generation" Norwegian food is a lot better. Often inspired by other countries' foods, such as pizza, burgers, kebabs, mexican, indian, thai and mediterranean foods and sometimes with a norwegian twist.

The food you ate was the typical norwegian poor-mans food that traditionally everybody used to eat just a few decades ago, and comes from when Norway was one of the poorest countries in Europe. We basically didn't have anything else to eat. Some still eat it but the younger generation rarely do. When you go to a grocery store you'll see the shelves aren't exactly filled with traditional Norwegian foods other than the basic breakfest stuff that most Norwegians still like. Actually you won't find any other foods than Norwegian vegetables and seafood. Everything else is foreign foods.

Hotells, some restaurants, hospitals and perhaps the offshore industry as well as many other corporations still stays very traditional, just like the tourist industry likes to "show off" the Vikings and Trolls as a big part of the Norwegian history instead of inventing something new or trying something different.

Norway is a very expensive, boring, traditional, strict and straightforward country that has absolutely nothing else to offer other than welfare and beautiful fjords. Why do you think 2 million Norwegians travels to other countries every year and that 700,000 Norwegians lives in Asia, Southern Europe and in the Americas all year? There's only 5,2 million Norwegian citizens.

Vegemite is my iconic Aussie staple.

It's the only food that I take all over the world that I can guarantee won't get stolen at work, cos all nationalities except Aussies seem to hate it.

Even my wife, who will try anything hates it.

Very very iconic Aussie feel good food.

If you like Norwegian cheese try coating rice - preferably cold - with that 7 baht tofu that the Thais (apparently) use for miso soup. This will produce precisely that low-level of cheesiness that you find in Norwegian cheese, while boosting the protein content of the rice and allowing you to shovel it in much more easily. smile.png

German

Italian

Indian

Good Steaks

Good Burgers

a bit Chinese

Lebanese

........and many more :)

Unfortunately I find that I do not like much Thai food. It's always so spicy and to many veggies, fish sauce, lemongrass etc. ingredients. It's always Fish, Pork or Chicken basically.

• 7 months later...
Bangkok, the best place for food lovers with a variety of tastes and flavors to enjoy from the Bangkok best restaurant. Find the most defining and pleasant tastes of delicious food that move taste buds with impeccable taste and quality at Bangkok best dining. 
This text sounds familiar...

I think that it has a lot to do with where ye end up...I spent a lot of time in the middle east and the local cuisine, ingredients, etc are a favorite...in England it was the curry houses, in LA it was the dive mexican and japanese places and traditional black american bbq when I could find it...

now that I'm on my lonesome as a westerner with a kitchen and a market available in rural Thailand I incorporate all the influences in what I presently prepare...and it usually turns out OK depending on the availabilty of ingredients...

• 5 months later...

Archived