Fill 'n' run leaves gas attendant fuming

rooster59

Fill 'n' run leaves gas attendant fuming

Kritsada Mueanhawong

post-247607-0-41980800-1462029156_thumb.

The gas attendant now has to cover the cost of the delinquent, which she says is a lot of money for her and her children. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong.

KRABI: A gas station attendant was forced to pay for a man who filled the tank of his pick-up truck and then drove off without paying yesterday morning.

Harutai Kriangtapong, 25, who works at the PTT petrol station in Krabi Town, had to pay 1,000 baht to cover the cost of the alleged delinquency, which occurred at 7:10am

“A well-dressed man drove into the petrol station and asked me to fill up his Vigo pick-up truck with 1,000 baht of diesel fuel,” Ms Harutai said. “As soon as I finished putting the fuel in his truck, he immediately drove away without paying.”

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Fill-run-leaves-gas-attendant-fuming/63787?desktopversion

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2016-04-30

So on the basis of the above story, staff working in shops have to pay for what shoplifters steal ?

How can this be right ?

When there was recently an armed robbery of a cash security truck in Pattaya, the robber escaped with in excess of 8 million Baht. Did the 2 security guards have to pay that money back ?

Unbelievable !!

So on the basis of the above story, staff working in shops have to pay for what shoplifters steal ?

How can this be right ?

When there was recently an armed robbery of a cash security truck in Pattaya, the robber escaped with in excess of 8 million Baht. Did the 2 security guards have to pay that money back ?

Unbelievable !!

Anyone in a job that involves handling cash has to put up a security deposit when they are hired, any shortages for any reason, they pay. Which is why staff who give you your change always count it many times and frequently use calculators, even for small and simple amounts..

I see an opportunity for someone reading this forum to earn some merit... If you are in that area and can afford it why not go to the premises and pass the staff member 1000 baht.

And to Pattaya28 - Yes. Staff pay for losses like this. That amount may be 4 days wages.

PTT (or the owner of the business) - Disgraceful. Join the fair world and cover the loss. Your inaction is damaging your reputation. For 1000 baht you'd impress a lot of us. Don't worry about the precedent - make it your new policy. Then you might have an incentive to install a camera.

How can this be right ?

Unbelievable !!

The 8 million baht would have been insured. Guards who survive these incidents may get pretty seriously grilled.

So wrong. Reminds me of an Indian 7/11 owner in Melbourne Australia, his store was the scene of an armed robbery, the attendant bashed unconscious and the owner wanted him to pay the 3k stolen because he didn't do enough to protect the money.

So wrong. Reminds me of an Indian 7/11 owner in Melbourne Australia, his store was the scene of an armed robbery, the attendant bashed unconscious and the owner wanted him to pay the 3k stolen because he didn't do enough to protect the money.

I hope the owner didn't get away with that in OZ and that the attendant was compensated to some degree.

Thailand is a long way away.

I've been suckered twice in twenty years on the issue of staff having to cover looses: the first time was the bartender(ess) at an Amari hotel in BKK who, when asked why so glum, replied, "customer not pay bill now staff have to pay". My 600 baht covered the loss and I thought nothing more of it until a few weeks later when a business chum told me, purely by chance, how he'd done the same thing at the same bar at the same hotel - note: we were on assignment and all staying together at that hotel.

I've been suckered twice in twenty years on the issue of staff having to cover looses: the first time was the bartender(ess) at an Amari hotel in BKK who, when asked why so glum, replied, "customer not pay bill now staff have to pay". My 600 baht covered the loss and I thought nothing more of it until a few weeks later when a business chum told me, purely by chance, how he'd done the same thing at the same bar at the same hotel - note: we were on assignment and all staying together at that hotel.

You know too much Pe wai.gif

Sad to hear.

Hate when my bubble of naivety bursts.

People have been pulling the fill and run trick at gas stations since at least 1970 when I had a part time gas station job in the US - and I'd be willing to bet it's been going on here for equally as long, it's just a slow news day, that's all.

This went through the courts in Canada. It is now illegal for gas station owners here to dock money for pump and runs from employees.

One attendant was killed when they stepped in front of a fleeing vehicle.

Why should staff have to pay for theft? They have done nothing wrong. This is a disgrace and the owner of company who runs the station should be ashamed for punishing an employee who has done nothing wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How can this be right ?

Unbelievable !!

Anyone in a job that involves handling cash has to put up a security deposit when they are hired, any shortages for any reason, they pay. Which is why staff who give you your change always count it many times and frequently use calculators, even for small and simple amounts..

This is not a 'cash shortage' due to the actions of the employee. This is a situation of customer theft and the employee should not be held responsible. Most states in the US prohibit 'fines' being imposed on workers for negligence in cash handling. The employee can be disciplined for negligence or theft but no money can be recovered from the employee absent the filing of criminal charges. Many Thai employers also 'fine' their employees exorbitant amounts of money for being absent or tardy.

One thousand baht is over three days wages for this woman assuming she is working for minimum wage. The owner of the gas station should review the CCTV tapes and take appropriate action against the customer who stole the gas with the police. The woman should not be held responsible. Many aspects of Thai labor law need to be revised to address these types of issues.

I have a solution, but my guess no hody would do it. While the cars are filling up, the pump attendant could put spiked concertina mats in front and at the rear of the vehicle being filled.

On completion of payment, the spikes are removed and the filled vehicle free to leave. I am going to implement this at my 3 garages back home.

Such a simple solution. Might scare customers away, but I would not loose money. BTW it is not the attendants problem if the motorist just leaves, up to the garage owner to fix the problem.

Happening quite often in Australia where fuel dodgers fill up and do a runner, the police is called

and CCTV footage is taken as evidence, it's thieving for all intent and purposes.....

I was surprised as there is no mention of CCTV which I just assumed would be at all the major chain petrol stations?

I have a solution, but my guess no hody would do it. While the cars are filling up, the pump attendant could put spiked concertina mats in front and at the rear of the vehicle being filled.

On completion of payment, the spikes are removed and the filled vehicle free to leave. I am going to implement this at my 3 garages back home.

Such a simple solution. Might scare customers away, but I would not loose money. BTW it is not the attendants problem if the motorist just leaves, up to the garage owner to fix the problem.

This is Thailand ,they would forget to remove them

A situation arose last year on similar lines to this regarding a house I was having built down south,to cut a long story short the floor tile suppliers (large nationwide retailer here) sent 8 boxes of tiles the wrong batch mixed in with 64 of the correct ones,as I was not present on site the tiler laid them all and what a bloody mess-how he could not of noticed this at the time and notified me I will never know but sh*t happens here sometimes (all had to be dug up and re-laid)

The retailer admitted responsibility and offered as compensation 50% discount on any other tiles as replacement,the lady store manager explaining to us that the staff in the tile section would have the cost of replacement tiles deducted from their monthly salary as it was their mistake................sad but true.

The cost to them was 12,000 baht in tile replacement but the cost to me totaled 23,000 baht after I had to buy more sand/cement and pay the tiler again.

TIT whistling.gif

The problem is so common in the UK that most filling stations have ANPR cameras covering each lane on the forecourt. ANPR is everywhere, most major roads, car parks, police cars.

The UK has also ditched the excise duty (tax) disc that used to have to be displayed on the windscreen because the ANPR cameras detect an untaxed vehicle and match it with tax, insurance and MOT (roadworthiness) records.

But I suppose, if the law permits, it's cheaper to dock the wages of an employee than invest in the technology. If it was made illegal to dock wages you can bet the company would order their ANPR system pretty soon after the law was passed.

ANPR = Automatic Number Plate Recognition

EDIT: Sodding autocarrot!

Anyone in a job that involves handling cash has to put up a security deposit when they are hired

Got any proof of that ?

Yes Don I do:

Mrs CM has worked for a number of large and medium hotels including The Chedi, The Anantara and a couple of four stars in Phuket, all in the role of front desk/receptionist and.or managed the hotels Boutique shop, handling cash at each one. All her employers have required all staff that handle cash to either lodge a surety of up to THB 10,000 in cash or via a purpose made program at Bangkok Bank where funds are deposited but cannot be released to the employees without written authorisation from the hotel. In talking with her peers and friends at other hotel chains this appears to be the norm in the hotel industry in Thailand.

Mrs CM younger sister had a part time job at a 7/11 whilst at University and was required to lodge a bond before she could start work, I know this because I had to lend her the money. Mrs CM's brother is a driver for a tour company in CM and also handles cash, ditto the foregoing.

Our neighbours son down the street is at school and works at a local petrol station after school and at weekends, despite his father being a policemen he was required to lodge a security bond with the station owners because he handles cash - the sons mother and father are friends and they tell us this is very common in almost every industry where staff handle cash.

I hope the owner didn't get away with that in OZ and that the attendant was compensated to some degree.

Thailand is a long way away.

Highly unlikely the owner would get away with that in Oz but in Thailand they definitely would. Have they never thought of putting CCTV cameras in the petrol stations so they can see what is happening at every pump? Of course they do and it would clearly show the driver taking off without giving the money. I feel sorry for the attendant having to pay for something that wasn't their fault.

I see an opportunity for someone reading this forum to earn some merit... If you are in that area and can afford it why not go to the premises and pass the staff member 1000 baht.

And to Pattaya28 - Yes. Staff pay for losses like this. That amount may be 4 days wages.

PTT (or the owner of the business) - Disgraceful. Join the fair world and cover the loss. Your inaction is damaging your reputation. For 1000 baht you'd impress a lot of us. Don't worry about the precedent - make it your new policy. Then you might have an incentive to install a camera.

"And to Pattaya28 - Yes. Staff pay for losses like this. That amount may be 4 days wages."

In the enlightened west, if you're in the executive suite, even if your company goes up in flames, all the shareholders lose everything and the employees lose their jobs, but the CEOs who destroyed the company get millions of $ in contractual pay and bonuses. None of them go to jail or take a financial hit based on their incompetence or corruption. The poor get poorer and the rich get richer.

While I agree that it's a despicable policy, how much pilferage would there be if the attendants got to keep whatever they could pocket, blaming it on fill & runners?

I'd hope there would be some middle ground where the losses would be covered if the CCTV evidence showed it wasn't the attendants' fault.

Back home, the business would be subject to a huge lawsuit if an attendant were to get killed because of such a policy, and they tried to stop a thief.

Still, I've paid out quite a few bucks back in the '70s when I pumped gas for beer and school money. What was even worse is that the entire shift had to share the loss, because they had no way of knowing which one of us was at fault. I had to quit one pump jockey job because the losses were so high. I suspected pilferage by one of our staff, but proving it wasn't possible. Good news- the losses continued after I left so I was exonerated.

How can this be right ?

Unbelievable !!

Thai rak thai

Archived