Thailand’s Heat Wave Claims 21 Lives as Temperatures Soar

webfact

Thailand’s Heat Wave Claims 21 Lives as Temperatures Soar

BANGKOK: -- BANGKOK – The current heat wave in Thailand, with temperatures rising above 40 degrees Celsius in certain parts of country, has claimed 21 lives so far during March until April.

According to the Director of Department of Communicable Disease Control, Dr Amnuay Kajina, 20 of the victims were men while one a woman.

Last year he said that 56 people fell victim to the heat wave, most of them men, who worked as labourers.

Full story: http://www.chiangraitimes.com/thailands-heat-wave-claims-21-lives-as-temperatures-soar.html

crt.png
-- Chiang Rai Times 2016-05-02

I thought you could not have a heatwave in Thailand becauce it has no desert.

What has having a desert got to do with the fact that Thailand and most of the region have suffered " a prolonged period of abnormally hot weather"

graemeaylward

Posted 22 minutes ago

"I had no idea that heatstroke was a Communicable Disease! RIP to the 21 who have succumbed to the heat."
It isn't and I don't see any mention of "communicable disease"

Four replies so far and only one is rational

."Plus a few they've not found yet"

Maybe we need a thread about the heat and how it is decreasing the brain functions of TV posters?coffee1.gif

yeap, we are in a tropical country. Raining all day long all year around never stops. The 40++ degrees are a figment of reporters imagination, the lack of water is just government propaganda.

yeap, we are in a tropical country. Raining all day long all year around never stops. The 40++ degrees are a figment of reporters imagination, the lack of water is just government propaganda.

And then there's Saudi Arabia and Sudan, also tropical countries with deserts and scant rainfall? Even the U.K. has (by definition), heatwaves on rare occasions

Four replies so far and only one is rational

."Plus a few they've not found yet"

Maybe we need a thread about the heat and how it is decreasing the brain functions of TV posters?coffee1.gif

Are you implying that under cooler conditions TV posters might have functional brains??? Take a look back at January's posts!

Lots of fluids ....And remember the good part of

Living in Thailand, It never gets really cold!!

I am looking forward to a good old European winter.

I think the hea(thai) got to me.

Most were male labourers. In most advanced countries there are Labour laws to prevent working in extreme conditions of heat (or cold)

With climate change these extreme events are predicted to become more common. Thai workers need protection.

What has having a desert got to do with the fact that Thailand and most of the region have suffered " a prolonged period of abnormally hot weather"

graemeaylward

Posted 22 minutes ago

"I had no idea that heatstroke was a Communicable Disease! RIP to the 21 who have succumbed to the heat."

ratcatcher, if you read the OP you will see why I made the comment that I did!

"According to the Director of Department of Communicable Disease Control, Dr Amnuay Kajina, 20 of the victims were men while one a woman."

As far as the discussion re the heatwave goes, it refers to a gobbledygook article about 6 weeks ago.

Their assurance of no heat wave threat came after an environmental and natural resources academic of Mahidol University, Mr Jirapol ...
www.thaivisa.com/.../903742-heat-wave-threat-ruled-out-for-thailand/

Hope this clarifies things

graemeaylward

Posted 22 minutes ago

Some Thai minister said that. I was just repeating.

Most were male labourers. In most advanced countries there are Labour laws to prevent working in extreme conditions of heat (or cold)

With climate change these extreme events are predicted to become more common. Thai workers need protection.

What about Cambodian and Burmese workers? They may look like Thais to you, but a reported 2-3 million workers from these countries are out there building Thailand's infrastructure. These are the guys who will be out all day dressed like mummies wearing hats that cover their ears and necks chopping down trees, renovating houses, paving roads, building bridges, expressways and even the extension of the skytrain. Thais generally aren't doing this kind of work. In any case, all workers should have protection, not just Thais and western/Asian expats but also Cambodian and Myanmar nationals who work as migrant labourers.

Archived