Police not behind video attack leak - incident a "nightmare" for the country, says PM office

We know he did not hit her and that would be the only reason to do so. If he called her a cheap whore...still not a legal justification for slapping someone in the street. Don't justify bad behavior just because she is an old lady.

I have NEVER condoned or justified the old lady for her slap, but it wasn't the guy she slapped that knocked her out.

Even so, personally, I would NEVER hit a woman if she slapped my face, it's so way beneath me, I was and is very impressed that the big guy could hold his temper, but that's the only Thai person I've heard of or have seen doing that, so he's got my admiration for not acting upon getting slapped, but what I don't know is what's being said between them, maybe I'm a bit naive when I believe that an 68 old lady wouldn't slap him because he said, your son is a sob to get in my way.

Don't you too believe it was a bit more than that?

Again....matters not what he said (if it was even in English that is). Does not give anyone justification to physically assault someone in the street.

You are missing the point, I don't condone the womans actions, my point is and has always been, using violence on any woman is NOT Ok, regardless what she's done.

The only time I personally would use violence against a woman would be if a child was in direct danger by that woman.

I am strong enough to hold and restrain almost any woman so that would be my first choice.

Then why muddy your argument with saying "but what I don't know is what's being said between them, maybe I'm a bit naive when I believe that an 68 old lady wouldn't slap him because he said, your son is a sob to get in my way.

Don't you too believe it was a bit more than that?" ?

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The debate about who escalated the conflict can go on and on. It's now down to the way the Police and various ministers are dealing with the fallout that is more disgraceful. It does seem like the leaking of the video is fast becoming more important to the authorities than the incident itself.

Speechlesss that some people here are still rationalizing the perp's behaviour. Disgraceful.

The leaked video could have acted as a catalyst for the authorities to show just how swiftly and harshly they dealt with the attackers. Instead they are publicly orchestrating a witch hunt and bleating that a chance at covering the whole episode up failed and exposed the authorities as incompetent and disingenuous to say the least.

I hope the person who leaked it becomes known then at least he / she will avoid private persecution

CCTV footage from crime and accidents are leaked every day in Thailand , just visit the facebook group Youlike and have a look , there's at least 20 videos released daily only from Thailand.

If the police think they can stop them leaking they have no clue . Then they need to pull the internet plug for good, thanks to social media it will leak , and sometimes it will go viral worldwide like this video.

Like this?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/914306-handicapped-man-who-answered-back-beaten-to-death-by-knife-wielding-thai-mob/

Land of Smiles my bum.

I watched that video a few times, and my take is this:

The son inadvertently knocked into a Thai guy because he was practically unable to remain vertical being so drunk.

The Thai guy already annoyed by a previous guy, gave him a shove and because he was so drunk was easily toppled and fell over.

The Mother, reacted to seeing her son hit the ground and I believe misread what was actually just a drunken fall.

She went ballistic and humiliated the Thai guy by slapping his face first for something she "thought" he did.

Then it just all got out f control, and we all know the outcome.

I am not condoning it nor excusing it , but due to that initial misinterpretation, it got a whole lot serious very fast.

This is all to prevalent when people get drunk, their judgement is impaired and they make poor decisions. Late night, partying, Songkran over indulgence, wrong place and certainly wrong time. = Perfect storm !

I am genuinely horrified by the level of attack, there is NO excuse for it.

BUT the incident could so easily have been avoided, if people drank in moderation and didnt get into altercations whilst intoxicated as the result is predictably the same regardless of Nationality.

Well you are trying to justify the level of violence that it went to, however you also failed to say that the man who punched all 3 tourists into unconsciousness was not the man who was slapped by the lady, nor was the man who then went around and kicked all 3 of them in the head while they were all semi-conscious.

You also fail to say that at the start of the video the Thai guy who got slapped and the guy who punched everyone were trying to kick off with everyone around them, including each other.

You also missed the punch by the tourist on the guy who got slapped too.

Basically, these angry Thais were looking for a fight and they found one in a bunch of OAPs who they then almost kicked to death. It doesn't matter how it started because nothing justifies what happened here.

Again....matters not what he said (if it was even in English that is). Does not give anyone justification to physically assault someone in the street.

You are missing the point, I don't condone the womans actions, my point is and has always been, using violence on any woman is NOT Ok, regardless what she's done.

The only time I personally would use violence against a woman would be if a child was in direct danger by that woman.

I am strong enough to hold and restrain almost any woman so that would be my first choice.

Then why muddy your argument with saying "but what I don't know is what's being said between them, maybe I'm a bit naive when I believe that an 68 old lady wouldn't slap him because he said, your son is a sob to get in my way.

Don't you too believe it was a bit more than that?" ?

Now you are only trying to win face, I haven't been muddy at all, I frankly don't give a hoot about what's being said or not but other posters try to defend the Thai guys by saying the farangs started it. By telling them that we don't know what made her slap the first guy in the face, I'm only trying to defuse their argument, because it's not important who slapped who or not.

If I slap you in the face, would your friends knock me out and later when clearly "out", kick me in the face?

It's like putting someone in Thai jail for spitting in the street.

C'mon, stop being apologetic towards the scumbags (to call them street dogs would be an insult to dogs all over the world), you'll only ending up on their side and getting the same contempt as the scumbags gets from people agreeing with me.

Hua Hin attack victims give statements to police, bars ordered to close at midnight

hhh.jpg

Image: Daily News

HUA HIN: -- Statements have been taken from the British family assaulted in Hua Hin over the Songkran holiday as pictures emerged of tourism officials presenting flowers to the family at their downtown hotel.

Lewis and Rosemary Owen, in their sixties, are due to fly back to their home in the UK on Tuesday. Their son Lewis John, 43, has already left the country and is believed to have returned to his work in Singapore, according to earlier reports.

The picture shows Orasa Awuthkhom of the provincial tourism authority of Prajual Khiri Khan presenting flowers to the family at the White Sand Hotel in Hua Hin following the assault.

It was reported that bars in the area have been ordered to close at midnight.

Admitting the adverse affect on tourism caused by the attack and the subsequent sharing of the CCTV footage of the incident, Orasa has met with various authorities to ensure the safety of tourists and look at the problem.

UPDATE: Thai media is reporting that Rosemary and Lewis Owen will give evidence in court at 1:30pm on Monday before they fly back to the UK on Tuesday.

Source: Daily News

tvn.png

-- 2016-05-02

"Admitting the adverse affect on tourism caused by the attack and the subsequent sharing of the CCTV footage of the incident, Orasa has met with various authorities to ensure the safety of tourists ..."

... and to ensure that every CCTV footage in the future will be secret or destroyed (like in Koh Tao)

We know he did not hit her and that would be the only reason to do so. If he called her a cheap whore...still not a legal justification for slapping someone in the street. Don't justify bad behavior just because she is an old lady.

I have NEVER condoned or justified the old lady for her slap, but it wasn't the guy she slapped that knocked her out.

Even so, personally, I would NEVER hit a woman if she slapped my face, it's so way beneath me, I was and is very impressed that the big guy could hold his temper, but that's the only Thai person I've heard of or have seen doing that, so he's got my admiration for not acting upon getting slapped, but what I don't know is what's being said between them, maybe I'm a bit naive when I believe that an 68 old lady wouldn't slap him because he said, your son is a sob to get in my way.

Don't you too believe it was a bit more than that?

using violence by a woman is not ok, too - even if it is "only" slapping which is less physical violence and more psychic violence - and it is absolutely not ok

Instead of trying to work out who leaked the video they should be trying to identify the root cause. Why do locals resort to violence so easily, why is there such a resentment towards foreigners, why can't they settle an altercation with anything other than a group beat down?

I shudder to think what in will be like in 25 years time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What really burns my ass the guys laying on the beating and kicking the old woman had no right to even be in the fight it wasnot their fight. they should have just minded their own business..Just looking for a reason to be thugs.Where else in the world do you see other people jump in for the shear pleasure of kicking heads. With out them it may never have happened.

The thugs should have let the people who had the disagreement settle it them selves and perhaps nothing would have came of it. But no they had to have a go at foreigners just for the hell of it.

"Panatda called for the Thai people to rally together to overcome the effect of the incident and help return Hua Hin's good image."

well they'd need to replace the nation's police force, reform the nation's legal system, re-distribute the nation's wealth in a more equitable manner and educate the youth on drink and drug abuse.

Bit of a tall order for one town with no vote?

Oh that poor elderly man and lady. Her face is all bruised. Awful. But why on earth close the bars at 12. This does not punish the suspects. It only hurts the poor bar owners and tourism even more. That is already suffering terribly from a poor season. It does not help the situation and closing time had nothing at all, to do with it. Best damage control in this situation, is to punish severely the people who did it , make it public that you have and let the poor bar owners and tourists carry on enjoying themselves. And maybe offer a free holiday for the poor family and apologize to them. Why should the actions of four thugs now cause hard working people to suffer ? Make public ones condemnation of the thugs. But do not punish the poor Thai and foreigner people who had nothing to do with it. Hua Hin is so quiet right now and making bars close at 12, is just not the right thing to do. It is hurting the people who work. The Thai people as always did come together and did so on their own accord with lovely messages on Facebook and condemnation of this brutal attack. I often wonder if I live in a crazy world and its me who is out of sync.

Who in Gods name handles the PR for the Government and authorities involved in this.. sack them for extreme incompetence immediately .

To have statements coming out that we lament the release of these videos and its impact on Thailand and that the focus is on the search for who did that is just worst PR they could chose.

With reverence to the English couple and their son , stop focus on how bad this is for Thailand and how the search is on for the culprit who leaked the vids.. instead turn it around and try and make this unfortunate circumstance one that has a bright side to it, increased patrols by police and unarmed soldiers in tourist spots and beefing up of this during major holidays, very heavy fines and perhaps custodial sentences for bar owners who allow intoxicated people to be served, mandatory custodial sentences for those engaged in deemed unnecessary acts of violence and thuggery.

In other words be seen to try and improve based on this occurrence rather than find the reason or culprit that bought this into the spotlight. That horse has bolted big time lads and finding out who opened the gate does nothing to serve your image or that of the country well.

Hua Hin attack victims give statements to police, bars ordered to close at midnight

hhh.jpg

Image: Daily News

HUA HIN: -- Statements have been taken from the British family assaulted in Hua Hin over the Songkran holiday as pictures emerged of tourism officials presenting flowers to the family at their downtown hotel.

Lewis and Rosemary Owen, in their sixties, are due to fly back to their home in the UK on Tuesday. Their son Lewis John, 43, has already left the country and is believed to have returned to his work in Singapore, according to earlier reports.

The picture shows Orasa Awuthkhom of the provincial tourism authority of Prajual Khiri Khan presenting flowers to the family at the White Sand Hotel in Hua Hin following the assault.

It was reported that bars in the area have been ordered to close at midnight.

Admitting the adverse affect on tourism caused by the attack and the subsequent sharing of the CCTV footage of the incident, Orasa has met with various authorities to ensure the safety of tourists and look at the problem.

UPDATE: Thai media is reporting that Rosemary and Lewis Owen will give evidence in court at 1:30pm on Monday before they fly back to the UK on Tuesday.

Source: Daily News

tvn.png

-- 2016-05-02

"Admitting the adverse affect on tourism caused by the attack and the subsequent sharing of the CCTV footage of the incident, Orasa has met with various authorities to ensure the safety of tourists ..."

... and to ensure that every CCTV footage in the future will be secret or destroyed (like in Koh Tao)

l'm surprised they didn't tell PTA to put their flowers where the sun doesn't shine. It's all pretend... PTA are only worried that fewer will visit ....

Image. That's all they care about.

Whoever 'leaked' this clip did the world a favor and should be rewarded. Yet, no one in authority seems to have learned anything. 'Officials', be it police or government officials keep opening their mouth and making their situitation worse.

This latest revelation, from the PM's office, no less, just shows the world that NO ONE in authority cares one iota about the plight of the tourists who were attacked. All they care about is Thailand's 'IMAGE', and of course, the money we foreigners bring into the country.

Pathetic Thailand, Land of Shame.

I would have liked to read a comment like this from Thai officialdom:

We are very sorry for the people who suffered that cruelty in our country.

We are sincerely doing our best to prevent anything like happening to our valued guests in the future.

And we shall take care for compensation and for a just sentencíng of the criminals

Once upon a time in Thailand .....................where foreign visitors were beat to pulp, robbed, raped, murdered, molested, decieved, threatened, conned or assaulted lived Thai gangs, Jezebels, and Ladyboys all waiting on their arrival.

This beautiful far off land was shrouded by scorn and deciept for tourists chauffeured around by motorbike, taxi, Tuk Tuk marauders happily smiling at the said Ferangs. This,with the same gait as a deadly snake before killing its prey.

These cultured people loved/lived their lives ripping off westerners on a daily basis.

ALAS, eventually a bad omen befell the country called 'the internet' that quickly spread the word that all was not as it seemed in this lost part of the world.

Things were never the same and became so difficult to hide their lies now laid open for the entire planet to see what happened in this den of iniquity.

Just saying .............

A nightmare for the country,.....how about for all the fearful tourists and expats who live here waiting for their own kick to the head ?

As long as you don't escalate stuff like they did the risks are not that high. The old lady hit a guy in his face before it all started and then her hubby helped her. Just because her son shoved a Thai and got shoved back.

They certainly did not help their case.. yes the violence in response was over the top and should be punished.. but they were certainly not innocent.

You did see the Thai guy trying to start shit with someone else before he set upon the British guy for just brushing up against him. Not sure what's wrong with your eyes, but the son did not "shove" the thai guy. he walked by him and they brushed shoulders.

The Thai vermin was looking to start shit with someone and then after brushing up against the son he attacked him from behind.

I haven't read the thread yet, so I apologise - but its interesting to see the way local Thais are reacting.

A couple of days ago, the always friendly garden centre owner I frequent (we always talk 'cos we have lots in common), was almost 'gushing'. It took me by suprise, but when I got back home I wondered whether it was because of this incident?

Today, I was having a coffee at another shop that know me and the Thai TV first showed a guy having his throat slit (? I'm going by the assistant who told me this was the news item) and was talking to him about how these violent crimes need to receive harsh penalties, to deter those who are so violent. He was agreeing, and then the news moved onto the latest two arrested for the attack on the pensioners.

The owner had come into the shop by this point, so I asked her and her assistant whether the news was saying that they had been sentenced in Court. The owner immediately said 'Yes, they have been sent to prison for 10 years, but the foreigners were also to blame'. The assistant obviously wasn't happy with this, so there was some conversation between them, and the owner said 'they haven't been sentenced yet'.

Its interesting to see the reactions of different Thais.

I wonder always how the most local press get so fast information what's going in and do a shooting of people who might be innioent and just involved and file the names to the public as well as the picture of these people. Awful!!!!!!!!! and for me a crime on my personal rights that i would claim and no photo could be pubished

So the videao: i am sure someone paid some money for it and got it from??? heheheh just imagine!

the government's concern about the leak being the nightmare for Thailand, and not the assault itself tends to confirm my view that the level of moral development here would be Level One: Preconventional Morality in Kohlberg's level system for classifying morality:

Seen in preschool children, most elementary school students, some junior high school students, and a few high school students Stage 1: Punishment-avoidance and obedience People make decisions based on what is best for themselves, without regard for others' needs or feelings. They obey rules only if established by more powerful individuals; they may disobey if they aren't likely to get caught. "Wrong" behaviors are those that will be punished.

I watched that video a few times, and my take is this:

The son inadvertently knocked into a Thai guy because he was practically unable to remain vertical being so drunk.

The Thai guy already annoyed by a previous guy, gave him a shove and because he was so drunk was easily toppled and fell over.

The Mother, reacted to seeing her son hit the ground and I believe misread what was actually just a drunken fall.

She went ballistic and humiliated the Thai guy by slapping his face first for something she "thought" he did.

Then it just all got out f control, and we all know the outcome.

I am not condoning it nor excusing it , but due to that initial misinterpretation, it got a whole lot serious very fast.

This is all to prevalent when people get drunk, their judgement is impaired and they make poor decisions. Late night, partying, Songkran over indulgence, wrong place and certainly wrong time. = Perfect storm !

I am genuinely horrified by the level of attack, there is NO excuse for it.

BUT the incident could so easily have been avoided, if people drank in moderation and didnt get into altercations whilst intoxicated as the result is predictably the same regardless of Nationality.

There is no such thing as delicate as a Thai man's "FACE". His mother raised him with the idea that he has a magic wand, and is beyond question, always right. The government encourages this with nationalistic views of "Thainess" as a quality rather than a fault.

At some stage Thais become aware of their rather low position in the pecking order and this makes them uniquely sensitive to any insult to their "FACE". Is it by chance that Facebook has among the highest penetration in Thailand, a way to boost your "FACE"?

Advice to all visitors to the kingdom: do not slight a Thai man's "FACE"...... It is very sensitive, delicate and easily hurt. The consequences were seen in Hua Hin, and the brain doesn't function when the "FACE" is slighted. You see it on the roads every day...

Fortunately, I profited from the Thai "FACE", as I made my money in luxury goods, helping inadequate "FACES" to boost their ranking!!!

As my Grandad said about fire, a Thai man's "FACE" is a great friend but terrible enemy.

Use it to your advantage!

"Police not behind video attack leak - incident a "nightmare" for the country, says PM office"

So what they are saying is that the leak is the "nightmare" for the country thumbsup.gif

cheesy.gif

And that's why I'm aghast at the lack of PR savvy.

They would have been far better off saying 'we distributed this video, because we wanted to catch the culprits' - which is what we all originally believed.

Admitting that they didn't release the video and their main concern is to find the 'leaker', can only result in more negative press.

It makes no sense.

Archived