Police not behind video attack leak - incident a "nightmare" for the country, says PM office

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here ..even if you try to help u become victim.

Had a 'little situation' a few days back when at about 20:00 coming down a country road a guy pulled out from the right in front of me. Short beeped him to imply that was careless and dangerous ..he drove on then stopped and got out of pickup and walked back. I could have easy handled him but thought better ..locked the doors and he started banging on the door. I put in reverse and got out of the situation.

He may have been drinking or whatever but again highlights what a nasty and dangerous lot some of them can be ..

Blame game aside one thing is clear, "they"(whoever they are) could do a much better job at educating tourists about this important cultural difference and it's allot more important than telling them not to point their feet at a Thai. The difference I'm referring to is that Thais(for better or worse you decide for yourself) are terrible at conflict resolution, sometimes called losing face. They basically have 2 responses to conflict, either ignore it or blow up and get violent and the one often follows the other. Those of us who have lived here a while are very aware of this and know how to avoid most problems but tourists don't. They confront Thais with loud voices and in the face anger as if they were back home where they can get away with it. We all have our own opinions on both sides of this equation and there is no need for me to express mine here but the tourists could be helped out with some more intel.

WHY? are they worried about the video being leaked.

If it had not been, NOBODY would have known about this vicious attack.

Only the victims and witness's.

Instead of worrying about the video.

They should be seen that JUSTICE is served.

But wait i forgot this is THAILAND.

We must not lose face.

Watch the video ( 100 times if necessary ) and you will see the British family did their part to escalate the situation....as the video clearly reveals both sides of the story.

Yes the Thai man started it by shoving the British man but rather than walk away from the situation they ( all 3 of them ) confronted a drunken Thai man and then you clearly see what evolved...while it should not have..... but it did

That has to be recognized before this violent altercation can be accounted for.

In no way am I defending the Thai men who turned brutally vicious and shocked everyone...Thais included.

If the British family sees the full video they can not totally lay the blame on only the Thais and have to recognize in that environment, such that it was, they would have been better off to have ignored the shove by the Thai man and forgotten the incident and moved on.

I know that is hindsight and does not address the end result of what transpired on that evening but it is a lesson and forewarning to others and everyone else that more than likely a situation will turn nasty if you offend or confront or accuse or threaten or certainly slap or hit a Thai man....especially a drunk Thai man.

Any slight at all is as good as starting a fight with a drunken Thai man and if there is any more than one of them they WILL gang up on you and would love to get a good kick in just for good measure....Even if it had nothing to do with some of them...as seen in the video.

I have witnessed it before over the 28 years here while the drunken foreigner(s) did their part to make matters worse while neither party would back down and the foreigner(s) were hurt badly because they were ganged up on by the Thai men...and some Thai women also.

The British family were not using common sense during a no win situation and failed to recognize it and unfortunately for them they were hurt bad.

I hope the Thai men are jailed and imprisoned for their lack of good judgment and the part they played because the part they played was undoubtedly over the top and just short of manslaughter.

Cheers

Sorry but you need to watch the video again at about 1,14 seconds in the dad sucker punches the thai man that is being held. They all got what they deserved apart from mom kick to the face. There being made to look like the victims here which is far from the truth.

I watched that video a few times, and my take is this:

The son inadvertently knocked into a Thai guy because he was practically unable to remain vertical being so drunk.

The Thai guy already annoyed by a previous guy, gave him a shove and because he was so drunk was easily toppled and fell over.

The Mother, reacted to seeing her son hit the ground and I believe misread what was actually just a drunken fall.

She went ballistic and humiliated the Thai guy by slapping his face first for something she "thought" he did.

Then it just all got out f control, and we all know the outcome.

I am not condoning it nor excusing it , but due to that initial misinterpretation, it got a whole lot serious very fast.

This is all to prevalent when people get drunk, their judgement is impaired and they make poor decisions. Late night, partying, Songkran over indulgence, wrong place and certainly wrong time. = Perfect storm !

I am genuinely horrified by the level of attack, there is NO excuse for it.

BUT the incident could so easily have been avoided, if people drank in moderation and didnt get into altercations whilst intoxicated as the result is predictably the same regardless of Nationality.

There is no such thing as delicate as a Thai man's "FACE". His mother raised him with the idea that he has a magic wand, and is beyond question, always right. The government encourages this with nationalistic views of "Thainess" as a quality rather than a fault.

At some stage Thais become aware of their rather low position in the pecking order and this makes them uniquely sensitive to any insult to their "FACE". Is it by chance that Facebook has among the highest penetration in Thailand, a way to boost your "FACE"?

Advice to all visitors to the kingdom: do not slight a Thai man's "FACE"...... It is very sensitive, delicate and easily hurt. The consequences were seen in Hua Hin, and the brain doesn't function when the "FACE" is slighted. You see it on the roads every day...

Fortunately, I profited from the Thai "FACE", as I made my money in luxury goods, helping inadequate "FACES" to boost their ranking!!!

As my Grandad said about fire, a Thai man's "FACE" is a great friend but terrible enemy.

Use it to your advantage!

What are you babbling about? It was just a bunch of hopped up goons looking to kick someones head in.

Sorry but you need to watch the video again at about 1,14 seconds in the dad sucker punches the thai man that is being held. They all got what they deserved apart from mom kick to the face. There being made to look like the victims here which is far from the truth.

Still no reason to kick a person in the face when they are unconscious.

A COWARD act, especially to an AGED Woman.

Here ..even if you try to help u become victim.

Had a 'little situation' a few days back when at about 20:00 coming down a country road a guy pulled out from the right in front of me. Short beeped him to imply that was careless and dangerous ..he drove on then stopped and got out of pickup and walked back. I could have easy handled him but thought better ..locked the doors and he started banging on the door. I put in reverse and got out of the situation.

He may have been drinking or whatever but again highlights what a nasty and dangerous lot some of them can be ..

Which is why I learned v quickly (thanks to friends' advice), to never, ever show any sort of irritation at seriously bad driving that could easily have caused an accident.

To look on the bright side, I'm still able to shout insults at Western tourists who copy the locals and think its OK to cut other people up etc. in their rush to be ahead - relying on the other person to get out of their way.

A nightmare for the country,.....how about for all the fearful tourists and expats who live here waiting for their own kick to the head ?

As long as you don't escalate stuff like they did the risks are not that high. The old lady hit a guy in his face before it all started and then her hubby helped her. Just because her son shoved a Thai and got shoved back.

They certainly did not help their case.. yes the violence in response was over the top and should be punished.. but they were certainly not innocent.

I said it before and I say it again, you, me and no one else but the people involved and within hearing distance knows what transpired for the woman to slap the first guy in the face.

If you believe she did it without reason, up to you my friend.

There's NO excuse whatever transpired before or after the slap, to hit a Woman of any age or race and then kick her in the face, DON'T make up any excuses because there are NONE.

We know he did not hit her and that would be the only reason to do so. If he called her a cheap whore...still not a legal justification for slapping someone in the street. Don't justify bad behavior just because she is an old lady.

You're still trying to lessen the blame by dwelling on who started it. It doesn't matter who deserves the blame for that, it's the level of violence by six young blokes on a family of three tourists which disgusts everyone. You definitely don't kick an old lady in the face after she has already been punched to the ground. Absolutely despicable, as is anyone trying to find justification for it.

There is none.

It is the press release that has promted this action by authorities, I hope they get it into their heads that it is not the news that is wrecking Thailands image it is the incident itself and the fact that it was reported in an open and transparent way, efforts to hide these incidents from the public is actually more damaging IMO than the incident itself, there is a lesson to be learned - I hope they got it

Nah, no chance.

i live in Hua Hin.

I have first person info that one Farang (unidentified in the press, but well know here in Hua Hin) has now become the subject of serious police harassment over his trying to come to the aid of the family.

He may lose his business and have to return to the UK.

It's no more than he deserves, this guy lied for two weeks about it being an unprovoked attack and the seriousness of their injuries.

This guy has been bad-mouthing Thais and Thailand for a few years now and I for one will be glad to see the back of him.

I wonder always how the most local press get so fast information what's going in and do a shooting of people who might be innioent and just involved and file the names to the public as well as the picture of these people. Awful!!!!!!!!! and for me a crime on my personal rights that i would claim and no photo could be pubished

So the videao: i am sure someone paid some money for it and got it from??? heheheh just imagine!

I mentioned this before;

That video was not leaked...it was withheld until someone???? was paid a tidy some for that video while the Thai press eats up that stuff like a plate of Som Tum and then demands some more.

That sort of press coverage is valuable stuff.

Cheers

i live in Hua Hin.

I have first person info that one Farang (unidentified in the press, but well know here in Hua Hin) has now become the subject of serious police harassment over his trying to come to the aid of the family.

He may lose his business and have to return to the UK.

Not surprising.

He was interfering with Thai internal matters, and as a expat with a business he should have known better.....

They might even try to pin the leak on him, since there is nothing better than a foreign scapegoat....

coffee1.gif

Should have known better than to help someone being violently assaulted! Dear Jesus what's the world coming to?

I would have liked to read a comment like this from Thai officialdom:

We are very sorry for the people who suffered that cruelty in our country.

We are sincerely doing our best to prevent anything like happening to our valued guests in the future.

And we shall take care for compensation and for a just sentencíng of the criminals

Dream on !

Mr. Sweatalot and most of us are quite aware and nobody is dreaming and most of us know thai officialdom.

He merely expresses his frustration and said I would have liked.....

On the same token you do believe the guys start the violence for nothing.. but the lady would not slap the guy for nothing.. BIAS anyone ?

I said it before and I say it again, you, me and no one else but the people involved and within hearing distance knows what transpired for the woman to slap the first guy in the face.

As long as you don't escalate stuff like they did the risks are not that high. The old lady hit a guy in his face before it all started and then her hubby helped her. Just because her son shoved a Thai and got shoved back.

They certainly did not help their case.. yes the violence in response was over the top and should be punished.. but they were certainly not innocent.

If you believe she did it without reason, up to you my friend.

There's NO excuse whatever transpired before or after the slap, to hit a Woman of any age or race and then kick her in the face, DON'T make up any excuses because there are NONE.

The way i see it.. her son shoved a Thai.. Thai shoved back.. lady slapped because her son got shoved.. and then it all started.

I don't excuse the violence and it should be punished.. but the tourists were the ones who started it.

I watched that video a few times, and my take is this:

The son inadvertently knocked into a Thai guy because he was practically unable to remain vertical being so drunk.

The Thai guy already annoyed by a previous guy, gave him a shove and because he was so drunk was easily toppled and fell over.

The Mother, reacted to seeing her son hit the ground and I believe misread what was actually just a drunken fall.

She went ballistic and humiliated the Thai guy by slapping his face first for something she "thought" he did.

Then it just all got out f control, and we all know the outcome.

I am not condoning it nor excusing it , but due to that initial misinterpretation, it got a whole lot serious very fast.

This is all to prevalent when people get drunk, their judgement is impaired and they make poor decisions. Late night, partying, Songkran over indulgence, wrong place and certainly wrong time. = Perfect storm !

I am genuinely horrified by the level of attack, there is NO excuse for it.

BUT the incident could so easily have been avoided, if people drank in moderation and didnt get into altercations whilst intoxicated as the result is predictably the same regardless of Nationality.

I agree, that the tourists should just have walked away and if they had, then nothing much would have happened.

I think the problem and issue in this case, is not so much the fight itself. The problem is that an older woman is punched in the face and then kicked in the face while lying on the ground. There is ABSOLUTY NO excuse for that at all and shows something no normal people in this world can or will ever understand.

So basically, for the image of Thailand, it is completely irrelevant who started the fight or even if the tourist threw the first punch. Attacking an elderly woman that way is sick and that is what people will remember and base their choice of tourist-destination on. That is also why, the police better make sure that guy gets punished hard and is set as an example. If not (which is most likely), then they will lose tourists on that account. And in the end, that is all they really are concerned about.

Giving flower is a good gesture, and the closing of the bar is not a solution. What we want to see is that people like them should be punished hard so that no one else dare do the same again and do not spoil the name of the country and all the Thai people.

This thread is about officialdom being angry that the video was leaked.

And that's what frightens me most.

Not that its only the Thai officialdom that does this - look at Julian Assange who is unable to leave the Ecuadorian embassy (? I know, I should look it up, but can't be bothered).

Our world has turned into something abhorrent to most of us - where whistleblowers are jailed rather than applauded.

Still no reason to kick a person in the face when they are unconscious.

A COWARD act, especially to an AGED Woman.

They deserved that?!? I question your value system if you believe that Mr. catman20. They made some mistakes, but the husband and son were trying to protect the mother/wife, who is quiet aged and was clearly being intimidated and poorly treated by a drunken man who had pushed their son from behind causing him to hit his head against the concrete. While that push from behind was not intended to seriously injure the son, people die all the time from hitting their heads accidentally on concrete curbs.

I really do not know what to make of all of this! What has this really got to do with TAT? It was a criminal attack on some tourists, it is a criminal matter and should be dealt with by the police and the courts.

TAT are not doing themselves any favours by getting involved, it has nothing to do with them whatsoever, they are trying to make an effort to show they care but have ended up making fools of themselves.

If this had happened in London to some tourists do you think that the UK tourist officials would have gotten involved? I think not.

As long as justice is SEEN to be SERVED, then it is end of story.

I am no apologist for Thais believe me, but you cannot tarnish the entire country because of this attack, despicable as it is.

If you cast your minds back to the late '80's and '90's - remember the tourists in the USA that were hijacked robbed and murdered by the locals in Miami and LA, who identified them by their hire cars? It was a lot more deadly than this incident.

I have mixed feelings about this though, as I say, it is a terrible crime, but it doesn't warrant the entire population being tarred with the same brush. My sympathies with the family and I hope they can squeeze every Baht out of their insurance as possible, TAT have got themselves holding the hot potato trying to make themselves look good, sadly there is no one else to throw it to so it looks like they will end up with badly burned fingers.

The most despicable thing about this entire case is the intervention and the ongoing Witch Hunt by the government for the people who "leaked" the CCTV, this turns my stomach, these fools never learn! The cops got the culprits, let's have an open and fair trial, justice served end of story. But no way - they just couldn't let it progress, they had to interfere (as they seem to want to do with everything these days)

The people who leaked the CCTV will probably get a worse outcome than the victims and the perpetrators!

Outnumbered two to one, two pensioners (one a woman) and middle-aged son beaten senseless by six young guys. Regardless of what sparked it off, you're saying that they aren't the victims! Which means that you're implying that the Thais are the victims.

Hope I never get you for my defence council.

Don't slap a Thai in the face and you will be fine if you live in Thailand you can always go home it will be a lot safer !!!!!!!!

Its one of those things. As a tourist for many years I believed that Thais were Buddhist, non-confrontational and gentle people - and once back in my home country, told everyone how lovely they were - to the extent that when visiting my mum (in Finland), she saw a Thai person on the street and told her how much I loved the Thai people!

It was only when I moved here that I discovered that it wasn't quite as simple and pleasant as I'd believed.

Tourists have no reason to understand what is going on (assuming, like me that they were gullible whilst on holiday). You have to live here to get to know the real Thailand.

Archived