Police not behind video attack leak - incident a "nightmare" for the country, says PM office

the chronology below mises one important fact..

"The son inadvertently knocked into a Thai guy because he was practically unable to remain vertical being so drunk.

The Thai guy already annoyed by a previous guy, gave him a shove and because he was so drunk was easily toppled and fell over.

The Mother, reacted to seeing her son hit the ground and I believe misread what was actually just a drunken fall.

She went ballistic and humiliated the Thai guy by slapping his face first for something she "thought" he did.

Then it just all got out f control, and we all know the outcome."

In amongst that the Thai man moves deliberately 1 step over to block off the woman's view of her relatives and any escape route/route to safety without either walking right through the Thai man or turning around and walking away from her relatives and danger. This is a very provocative and deliberate gesture from the Thai man and one which people don't consciously comprehend as being why they react the way they do, but only sometimes on reflection is it given proper billing for actions that followed. i.e. the slap. The Thai guy deliberately moved over to cut off any escape route and isolate the woman. That is very escalatory, but subconscious in that you are fully aware what's happening and why, but too much else is going on and it then gets overlooked, but it's a very important signal that is well understood. Her options in the confrontational argument that followed had just been preset by an aggessive step to isolate her and feeling threatened she slapped him. Well desereved! ;Let alone the rest of the sickening beatings. No excuse and Thai guys should rot in jail as with such litle provocation and drink it will happen again and again.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

better be careful people .......................reading between the lines , very soon it could be illegal to film an altercation in the street and put it on social media.

seems that thailand wants all recordings to be the property of the "state".

if you film "bouncers" bashing the sh....t out of someone and put it on social media , you could find yourself charged under those quaint cyber laws ( with damaging the image of Thailand).

A very typical reaction by the Police,,, shut the bars at midnight, what a joke.

Why not close them at 10pm or get rid of bars altogether.

Then the surrounding countries can have all the tourists.

Have you noticed since the Army came into power that the Police are just "marking time" & just doing as little as the have to do.

I would have thought that having LICENSED bars open until the wee hours would allow the Police to know exactly where we all are

& should they patrol & stop illicit street sales of alcohol on the streets (no licence, no toilets, no control) they can minimize the

out of control, unregulated drinking problems, along with allowing tourists ( & expats) to enjoy themselves at properly well run establishment,,

which should be under their control & patrolled anyway.

Come on Police, stand up & suggest to the Boss some logical solutions without always looking at just lining your own pockets

but help in maintaining some quality tourists, in turn helping the countries tourist industry.

God knows that the massive influx of tourists at present from China are only helping the CP Groups

turnover. Apart from that the contribute little to Thailand except make TAT's figures look good

"Police not behind video attack leak - incident a "nightmare" for the country, says PM office"

So what they are saying is that the leak is the "nightmare" for the country thumbsup.gif

cheesy.gif

Yes exactly.We do not want to worry about the people,we're not interested in the dispute or the violence or anything else concerning the incident itself.What is the big problem is that leak to the outside World that is going to cost us lots and lots of Baht in lost revenue ----------- PRIORITIES ??????

Says it all reallycoffee1.gif

A nightmare for the country,.....how about for all the fearful tourists and expats who live here waiting for their own kick to the head ?

As long as you don't escalate stuff like they did the risks are not that high. The old lady hit a guy in his face before it all started and then her hubby helped her. Just because her son shoved a Thai and got shoved back.

They certainly did not help their case.. yes the violence in response was over the top and should be punished.. but they were certainly not innocent.

Dutch thinking? I thought the Dutch always stood on the women's side no matter what? They have a saying in NL; eigen schuld, dikke bult. Kind of means som nam na, but I certainly don't think that applies here Rob. The only reason that Rosemary would've deserved what she got was for being a psychopath or perhaps the devil. She definitely didn't deserve a punch straight to the face and later a kick for b - slapping a grown man. I don't care how much face that idiot lost but it probably only hurt his pride.

I live in Hua Hin and although I have refrained from comment to date, now I've decided to have my say.

As I see it, the whole thing started after an accidental bump between the son and the Thai guy, which was followed by a push from the Thai guy, after which the son lost his footing and fell over. It was quite clearly an accidental bump, followed by a push from the Thai guy that started the whole incident. Without the push there would have been no incident, so in my opinion the Thai started the whole incident. Thereafter, what happened is still not entirely clear and I have watched the video many times. However, it should be noted that the Thai guy was involved in another argument immediately prior to this incident, so was obviously in an agitated state. At the end of the day, a simple slap/punch to the face by the old lady, if that is what she did, would constitute no more than a minor common assault, and the resultant causing of grievous bodily harm, with intent, to three people, cannot be justified as self defence, or anything other than what is was, a vicious, cowardly and completely unnecessary attack, in any town/city in any country in the world, be that Hua Hin, London, New York, Sydney or Timbukto.

I made a mistake (in another thread, I think) assuming the victims would leave before giving evidence to the Court.

It turns out that the victims were due to give evidence at 1.30 p.m. today - so it will be interesting to learn the sentences given to those that kicked the victims in the head, when already down and unconscious or close to unconscious.

We know he did not hit her and that would be the only reason to do so. If he called her a cheap whore...still not a legal justification for slapping someone in the street. Don't justify bad behavior just because she is an old lady.

I have NEVER condoned or justified the old lady for her slap, but it wasn't the guy she slapped that knocked her out.

Even so, personally, I would NEVER hit a woman if she slapped my face, it's so way beneath me, I was and is very impressed that the big guy could hold his temper, but that's the only Thai person I've heard of or have seen doing that, so he's got my admiration for not acting upon getting slapped, but what I don't know is what's being said between them, maybe I'm a bit naive when I believe that an 68 old lady wouldn't slap him because he said, your son is a sob to get in my way.

Don't you too believe it was a bit more than that?

Again....matters not what he said (if it was even in English that is). Does not give anyone justification to physically assault someone in the street.

You are missing the point, I don't condone the womans actions, my point is and has always been, using violence on any woman is NOT Ok, regardless what she's done.

The only time I personally would use violence against a woman would be if a child was in direct danger by that woman.

I am strong enough to hold and restrain almost any woman so that would be my first choice.

Tell me that when your Thai woman attacks you with a knife ......

Hua Hin attack victims give statements to police, bars ordered to close at midnight

hhh.jpg

Image: Daily News

HUA HIN: -- Statements have been taken from the British family assaulted in Hua Hin over the Songkran holiday as pictures emerged of tourism officials presenting flowers to the family at their downtown hotel.

Lewis and Rosemary Owen, in their sixties, are due to fly back to their home in the UK on Tuesday. Their son Lewis John, 43, has already left the country and is believed to have returned to his work in Singapore, according to earlier reports.

The picture shows Orasa Awuthkhom of the provincial tourism authority of Prajual Khiri Khan presenting flowers to the family at the White Sand Hotel in Hua Hin following the assault.

It was reported that bars in the area have been ordered to close at midnight.

Admitting the adverse affect on tourism caused by the attack and the subsequent sharing of the CCTV footage of the incident, Orasa has met with various authorities to ensure the safety of tourists and look at the problem.

UPDATE: Thai media is reporting that Rosemary and Lewis Owen will give evidence in court at 1:30pm on Monday before they fly back to the UK on Tuesday.

Source: Daily News

tvn.png

-- 2016-05-02

Nice try from tourism authority but the damage is done already, all the BS about closing bars early and meeting with various authorities to ensure safety of tourists is just rubbish and propaganda.

And this is a great example of what is wrong in Thailand.....

Saying that it is a nightmare that the shocking video of Thai culture was leaked, NOT that the video shows this Shocking violence of Thai's,

That they are more concerned about some numb skull putting the video out there as opposed to the usual, of its only falling's who cares.

Saying that the Brit's were "INVOLVED" in a fight.... They were knocked unconscious in a brutal assault by violent drunk Thai's.

And its mind blowing how some people on here are trying to justify the attacks.... I watched the video in FULL, at least 10 times, rewound and paused it many times, and not once did the Brits hit anyone....

Great example of what Thais are concerned about...

And this is a great example of what is wrong in Thailand.....

Saying that it is a nightmare that the shocking video of Thai culture was leaked, NOT that the video shows this Shocking violence of Thai's,

That they are more concerned about some numb skull putting the video out there as opposed to the usual, of its only falling's who cares.

Saying that the Brit's were "INVOLVED" in a fight.... They were knocked unconscious in a brutal assault by violent drunk Thai's.

And its mind blowing how some people on here are trying to justify the attacks.... I watched the video in FULL, at least 10 times, rewound and paused it many times, and not once did the Brits hit anyone....

Great example of what Thais are concerned about...

You are obviously watching the edited for the UK consumption video, try this one.

It wasn't a good ole fight that will keep the world from coming to Thailand. It was how violent the Thai men hit them. I mean the full body punch into the mother's head and to be kicked the way she was when she started to get up. The punch to the fathers head was a direct sucker punch blow. Vicious. Both of these people could have been killed. Getting hit like that near 70 years old. That would put a fear in me of coming to Thailand. I mentioned this in my first post,the day it all happened. When the mother was getting punched and all hell broke out, did anyone else see the four younger Thais fighting each other. 3 guys and a girl. It happened directly behind the mother getting punched. I watched that closely and again, the violence that I saw was ridiculous. One young fellow took the young girl. and dumped her on her head into the road. I have no idea how she didn't end up in the hospital. I know this was all secondary, but take time and watch it. These thai men fight to hurt or kill, not to protect themselves. That is the big difference about fear of coming to Thailand.

Everytime there is a horrible case the first thing is to evaluate the impact it will have on tourism and then boast how foreigners are still flocking to wherever the horrible case happened. Then praise the police and give flowers. Little concern for the victims. But this time the victims are not dead and can speak, thank God. Unfortunately, cases where the victims are killed from kicks to the head get no justice because dead men tell no tales and the perpetrators can fabricate a believeable story based on foriegner behavoral data from other cases.

When you kick a person in the head that is as deadly as a hammer to the head. The shear velocity of the kick is enough to kill a person instantly espectially a direct blow to the temple. They should stand trial for attemped murder no less.

With that said...How many other violent cases do they have on tape that they have never shown to the public because those tapes of violent crimes were and remain to be the property of the police? Think of those who had like or worse experiences but for fear of their lives ran back home.

You are missing the point, I don't condone the womans actions, my point is and has always been, using violence on any woman is NOT Ok, regardless what she's done.

Again....matters not what he said (if it was even in English that is). Does not give anyone justification to physically assault someone in the street.

The only time I personally would use violence against a woman would be if a child was in direct danger by that woman.

I am strong enough to hold and restrain almost any woman so that would be my first choice.

She would never do that, why do you think?

Because I DON'T allow violence in any form, physical or verbal, I set the standard and it's been working in our relation for 10 years now.

Not even once have we used violence against each other in our home or anywhere else when "fighting".

We've had our disagreements but it never escalated further than some harsh words.

Try it yourself, make your woman feel safe with you and just maybe she won't physically or verbally attack you, but if she do, just defuse the situation, don't counter attack.

Just a small advice from someone who NEVER been into a violent relationship, I'm +50 now.

I think there is a patronising even racist view promulgated amongst visitors to Thailand that Thai people are different. The truth is that all people are basically the same - put them in the same circumstances and they will behave in the same way...some will be OK, some criminals and some violent........put a racist perspective allows us the mistaken view that some "races" or countries are different and lately safer.

Expats and others who end up spending some time in the country, gradually come to the realisation that all is not a bed of roses in Thailand after all and this can confront their initial observations.....but rather than realise that the racist perspective is valueless, they then decide that the violence is just another symptom of Thai people being some kind of "lesser" race.

Of neither the former nor latter observations have any basis in reality....Thailand is a country in transition - the culture is not static and they are not a particular "type" or race, what is happening here is easily explained by the politics and socio-economics of the place.

What is unfortunate is that tourists are likely to suffer as a result of this - but as shown by the Thai authorities the last thing they want to do is warn anyone of the situation.

well aren't i glad i went to Phuket, shoulder to shoulder, nationalities from all over the world everyone like drowned rats, and i did not see one bit of bother.

If you think Phuket is any safer than hua hin, you need to seriously review your perspectives of Thailand.

well aren't i glad i went to Phuket, shoulder to shoulder, nationalities from all over the world everyone like drowned rats, and i did not see one bit of bother.

If you think Phuket is any safer than hua hin, you need to seriously review your perspectives of Thailand.

It is the press release that has promted this action by authorities, I hope they get it into their heads that it is not the news that is wrecking Thailands image it is the incident itself and the fact that it was reported in an open and transparent way, efforts to hide these incidents from the public is actually more damaging IMO than the incident itself, there is a lesson to be learned - I hope they got it

Someone told me that to Get into a Thia Government job you have to either

Know someone

Be a friend of someone who knows someone

or have Uni degree and that is the LOWEST of the uni degrees you can get here

And what i am seeing more and more is making even this seem a bar too high for what is in Government

Tobe in the military all you have to do is lick good As..s and it seems that is happening so well.

The powers that be and YES IT IS YOU MR> PM as you are the LEADER and it is the top brass who must wear blame for what IMAGE Thailand is having

You open your mouth and unfortunately there is no room for you to place any more toes and it seems you are placing feet of other people there.

Thialand's image is ruined day by day by corruption violence and Juntas

I have NEVER condoned or justified the old lady for her slap, but it wasn't the guy she slapped that knocked her out.

Even so, personally, I would NEVER hit a woman if she slapped my face, it's so way beneath me, I was and is very impressed that the big guy could hold his temper, but that's the only Thai person I've heard of or have seen doing that, so he's got my admiration for not acting upon getting slapped, but what I don't know is what's being said between them, maybe I'm a bit naive when I believe that an 68 old lady wouldn't slap him because he said, your son is a sob to get in my way.

Don't you too believe it was a bit more than that?

Sorry mate but that's well out of order - I think you should consider enrolling for some attitude adjustment therapy

I totally agree that the Thai Government officials should use this incident and speak out forcibly that this type of behavior against anyone including Thai on Thai will not be tolerated and order the police to stop it and prosecute offenders. There is a huge problem with domestic violence in Thailand and there should be educational infomercials showing that any type of physical abuse will not be tolerated. Frankly, the PM should ban the sale of off premises alcohol during Songkran. There also needs to be a police presence in entertainment areas especially during a holiday. Police should not be off celebrating the holiday but all should be working.

It will take years to change the Thai attitude towards violence. It will take a concentrated effort by families; the police; schools; temples and the government to make people understand it will not be tolerated and has consequences. The poster who indicated that one has to live in Thailand to really understand how Thai people think and interact is absolutely correct.

Tourists should be given a brochure by Thai embassies and Consulates on Do's and Dont's in Thailand and it should be written by a foreigner.

I totally agree that the Thai Government officials should use this incident and speak out forcibly that this type of behavior against anyone including Thai on Thai will not be tolerated and order the police to stop it and prosecute offenders. There is a huge problem with domestic violence in Thailand and there should be educational infomercials showing that any type of physical abuse will not be tolerated. Frankly, the PM should ban the sale of off premises alcohol during Songkran. There also needs to be a police presence in entertainment areas especially during a holiday. Police should not be off celebrating the holiday but all should be working.

It will take years to change the Thai attitude towards violence. It will take a concentrated effort by families; the police; schools; temples and the government to make people understand it will not be tolerated and has consequences. The poster who indicated that one has to live in Thailand to really understand how Thai people think and interact is absolutely correct.

Tourists should be given a brochure by Thai embassies and Consulates on Do's and Dont's in Thailand and it should be written by a foreigner.

Excellent post. Education is the key.

I've met plenty of farangs who have gotten into altercations in Thailand. They have one thing in common: making a Thai loose face by being verbally aggressive.

What's funny is that Thai's pride themselves on being soft spoken and polite. But once you break this fragile state of equilibrium all hell breaks loose. In the west we pride ourselves on being outspoken and direct which gives us a broader set of acceptable behavior before violence happens.

Archived