'I still have nightmares,' says British grandmother who was beaten unconscious in Thailand

Has the woman been charged with assault yet? I clearly saw her slap a Thai man across the face in an unprovoked attack.

It was the thai who acted physically first, he pushed her son who then fell and hit his head on the kerb....those kind of falls have knocked people senseless or worse. We then see the woman and thai man talking.....it is not clear what he said to her....what if he abused her and then she slapped him....that would make the thai the instigator.

Watch the video again. When the son falls it looks like either a trip or a drunken stumble. It did'nt look like he was pushed to the ground. The old women then gets in the man's face. Whatever he said, she certainly struck the first blow. Words are one thing, physical aggression entirely another.

Has she been charged yet? Is there a different standard for farangs?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was the thai who acted physically first, he pushed her son who then fell and hit his head on the kerb....those kind of falls have knocked people senseless or worse. We then see the woman and thai man talking.....it is not clear what he said to her....what if he abused her and then she slapped him....that would make the thai the instigator.

No it was the son who acted physically first in an argument between two thai men he didn't know.

The son then tripped over his own leg in what looked like a drunken stumble, which led mum to wrongly believe he was pushed.

Mum then pulled the hair & raked the face of one Thai and slapped the face of another.

Meanwhile Dad sly punched a Thai who was trying to help in the face.

All three were jostling, pulling and running their mouths off.

This is all before the first Thai punch got thrown.

Has the woman been charged with assault yet? I clearly saw her slap a Thai man across the face in an unprovoked attack.

Good question.

There is no doubt that the tide is turning in Hua Hin and people, both expats and Thais are seeing this incident in a different light.

It's clear now who were the aggressors and if any of the Thais get a substantial jail term there will be many wondering why.

I like this news 10 years for the assault. It will give a good signal to the others who try to do the same.

What ? That would be the same as a death sentience. The drunk Thai guys went overboard after being provoked by even more drunk Brits, surely a couple weeks would be enough time in jail.

No it was the son who acted physically first in an argument between two thai men he didn't know.

The son then tripped over his own leg in what looked like a drunken stumble, which led mum to wrongly believe he was pushed.

Mum then pulled the hair & raked the face of one Thai and slapped the face of another.

Meanwhile Dad sly punched a Thai who was trying to help in the face.

All three were jostling, pulling and running their mouths off.

This is all before the first Thai punch got thrown.

Good question.

Try wearing your specs and watch the video again. The initial incident involving the family was definitely the Thai guy pushing the son. I do agree however that he went down rather easily probably as a result of being drunk. Took a bit of a bash on the head. The son was later seen holding one of the Thai men and the only punch thrown at that time was from the old man who then retreated quickly.

Den

Try wearing your specs and watch the video again. The initial incident involving the family was definitely the Thai guy pushing the son.

No need ..I watched the full video about 50 times on a 60" screen with the pertinent parts slowed down...before I made my first post on the subject.

Here is what you should be looking for:

The Thai man lightly touches the son on the back...not a push.

The son then turns round( while still walking forward ) to see who has touched him on the back.

It's at this point you can quite clearly see his leg tripping over his other leg(probably because he was drunk).

Which causes him to go down like a ton of bricks.

The mother then assumes( like you did ) that the light contact made by the Thai was in fact a push...when it was not!

You can read more here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/913236-police-hunt-thugs-who-brutally-attacked-british-family-in-hua-hin/page-24#entry10690131

The way I see it based upon the video here

is that the altercation started at approximately 0:23 seconds.

If you look at the guy with the British guy with the black cap on, he shoves the Asian guy with hos left hand (upper portion of the video) with what I can only refer to as a privileged attitude. If you watch the Asian guys response, he responded to that brush aside/arm shove. I think that is whay the physical altercation started. There were a host of other farang there who did not get accosted or find any issue that night which I think speaks to the larger issue: entitlement.

I think a significant number of foreigners come to Thailand with no respect for the culture or the people and as this family did; get drunk and brought their entitlement attitude with them from home. I think the guy with the cap should be charged with assault as well as the woman. A kick to the face is rarely warranted but a dose of respect for someone else's home and culture would have gone a long way for this family.

There is no doubt that the tide is turning in Hua Hin and people, both expats and Thais are seeing this incident in a different light.

It's clear now who were the aggressors and if any of the Thais get a substantial jail term there will be many wondering why.

maybe the kick to the face of an elderly woman on the ground might help to explain. An extremely violent act that could have resulted in death. There was absolutely no need for it, there was no threat and absolutely not defensive.

maybe the kick to the face of an elderly woman on the ground might help to explain. An extremely violent act that could have resulted in death. There was absolutely no need for it, there was no threat and absolutely not defensive.

Nobody is saying that the head kicker should not serve some jail time, but it should not be 5/10 years, like what some on here are calling for.

The question being asked now is why the family have gotten away with not so much as giving an apology, as without their aggression none of this would have happened.

If you look at the guy with the British guy with the black cap on, he shoves the Asian guy with hos left hand (upper portion of the video) with what I can only refer to as a privileged attitude. If you watch the Asian guys response, he responded to that brush aside/arm shove. I think that is whay the physical altercation started. There were a host of other farang there who did not get accosted or find any issue that night which I think speaks to the larger issue: entitlement.

I think a significant number of foreigners come to Thailand with no respect for the culture or the people and as this family did; get drunk and brought their entitlement attitude with them from home. I think the guy with the cap should be charged with assault as well as the woman. A kick to the face is rarely warranted but a dose of respect for someone else's home and culture would have gone a long way for this family.

The video above is most definitely doctored. Would be good to have the original, unedited video. If you follow the timestamp, you will see that video segments have been removed at the 57..58..59 time mark. The clock flips in maybe 1/10th of a second, instead of the full second. This is almost 3 seconds of video missing.

The way I see it based upon the video here is that the altercation started at approximately 0:23 seconds.

The video above is most definitely doctored. Would be good to have the original, unedited video. If you follow the timestamp, you will see that video segments have been removed at the 57..58..59 time mark. The clock flips in maybe 1/10th of a second, instead of the full second. This is almost 3 seconds of video missing.

The original, unedited version is on the web. What is missing is the video of the Thais kicking them in the head.

Google is your friend (hint: bestgore).

The son was very drunk, I would say they all were. The push by the Thai was in result to the drunken son who just walked into him with no apology, I would have done worse if I were the Tha guy. The drunk son tripped over his own feet. It was the mother and father who both punched the Thai guys FIRST, I would have loved to hear their answers when questioned why they pushed the Thai guys because up until then it was a verbal argument. The actions of the parents can not be condoned and should mitigate any sentences.

No mum is playing the victim, she was as much as an instigator, she could have picked her son up and gone home and there would have been no discussions on here.

I made a comment, not sure if it made it (internet problems) or was tagged as a troll post?

But hear it goes again.

This old women from Wales should have started her testimony by apologizing to the Thai man she slapped and shoved - period!!

I guess if she verbally admits she contributed to her own face getting kicked, she would be admitting guilt as being part of, not just an innocent victim of this incident..

Anyone with common sense knows her actions caused the fight to escalate to the point to where it did..

But she's on her way home as the Thai's justifiably go to trial for their actions...

The problem with "common sense" is that it isn't actually that common, your post above being an obvious example.

Two elderly and one almost middle aged foreigner, who all had been drinking, accidentally bump into a guy who is raging against another Thai; both men where clearly drunk and aggressive. If the foreign trio had done that in an aggressive and purposeful way you might have a point. But clearly they did not. They were not out looking for trouble. We don't know what words were exchanged between the Thai man and the old lady, but I suspect it wasn't polite. And perhaps that's why she slapped him. What happened next was appalling ... appalling enough for a high-ranking Thai to describe the footage as a "nightmare". He knows, as most Thais do, what damage extreme violence against tourists means for the reputation of the country.

But you and the village idiots that support your point think it was all justifiable?

From what i've read the family are Thailand regulars, until that incident they loved the place. Did you see their holiday photographs with Thais? Clearly these are people that like Thais and Thailand. But you seem to think they came over with an entitlement attitude?

The trio had had a bit to drink, the son was try to balance himself and that's why he brushed the Thai guy.

If you ever get a kicking for nothing, please post the video on here, and we can all speculate on why you deserved it.

Drunk Farang women are a nightmare here in Thailand - what ever their age. The slaggette and laddette culture shames us all. If a few more got a slap there would be fewer problems.

No mate, what shames us all is idiots who think that it's okay to beat up old ladies.

I didn't think there would be that many people from Hua Hin that have had frontal lobotomies?

From what you read? OK. Well from what I saw, the guy with the cap started the whole incident when he pushed the Asian man at 0:23 seconds. Did you see that? Did you see the woman shove and then slap the Asian guy around 0:56 seconds?

No, I didn't see any holiday photos. I saw a guy initiate a conflict with a push at 0:23 seconds and the woman slap the Asian man at about 0:56 seconds.

Yes, I think they had a huge entitlement mentality as I think most who come from the States, Britain and Australia do at least that has been my experience.

The trio had a bit much to drink = being drunk. I have been drunk a few times in my life, never have I "balanced" myself by pushing while walking past anyone. But that's me. I have never "brushed" past anyone; drunk or sober like that guy did.

She didn't get kicked for "nothing" although the force used by the Asian guy was excessive beyond what a simple slap should have garnered her. I don't think I will be getting drunk, pushing anyone or slapping anyone to cause an altercation in someone elses country so I can't imagine why anyone would kick me. But I will keep you abreast.

Regarding posting a video, I would like someone to post the doctored video that has been mentioned so I can see evidently what I may be missing.

From what i've read the family are Thailand regulars, until that incident they loved the place. Did you see their holiday photographs with Thais? Clearly these are people that like Thais and Thailand. But you seem to think they came over with an entitlement attitude?

The trio had had a bit to drink, the son was try to balance himself and that's why he brushed the Thai guy.

If you ever get a kicking for nothing, please post the video on here, and we can all speculate on why you deserved it.

As we were (hopefully) all taught as children:

"Keep your hands to yourself"

Had all three individuals done that, there would be no story here.

Keep in mind, there were other farang there who were not attacked. I wonder why?

If you place your hands on someone, an ass whipping may be the resultant of such activities. Old lady, young lady, old man, young man.

Lest we forget - ass whippings are potential equal opportunity encounters.

Drunk Farang women are a nightmare here in Thailand - what ever their age. The slaggette and laddette culture shames us all. If a few more got a slap there would be fewer problems.

No mate, what shames us all is idiots who think that it's okay to beat up old ladies.

If my mother slapped someone unprovoked and an ass whipping ensured because of it - yes, she caused it and got what she deserved.

The rules don't change just because it's a woman, my sister, mother, brother or even me.

I made a comment, not sure if it made it (internet problems) or was tagged as a troll post?
But hear it goes again.
This old women from Wales should have started her testimony by apologizing to the Thai man she slapped and shoved - period!!
I guess if she verbally admits she contributed to her own face getting kicked, she would be admitting guilt as being part of, not just an innocent victim of this incident..
Anyone with common sense knows her actions caused the fight to escalate to the point to where it did..
But she's on her way home as the Thai's justifiably go to trial for their actions...

The problem with "common sense" is that it isn't actually that common, your post above being an obvious example.

Two elderly and one almost middle aged foreigner, who all had been drinking, accidentally bump into a guy who is raging against another Thai; both men where clearly drunk and aggressive. If the foreign trio had done that in an aggressive and purposeful way you might have a point. But clearly they did not. They were not out looking for trouble. We don't know what words were exchanged between the Thai man and the old lady, but I suspect it wasn't polite. And perhaps that's why she slapped him. What happened next was appalling ... appalling enough for a high-ranking Thai to describe the footage as a "nightmare". He knows, as most Thais do, what damage extreme violence against tourists means for the reputation of the country.

But you and the village idiots that support your point think it was all justifiable?

I think you may be best mates with the village idiot, in the video you can clearly see the mother strike the Thai guy across the head and then the father clearly punch a Thai guy to the ground. How you can possibly say they are not aggressive acts is a mystery to all right thinking people. The ONLY thing the Thai guys did that was bad was kick mum when she was on the ground and that's what looks bad. Punching her in the face was acceptable as she had previously punched him in the face so it was self defence, no one ever has to accept being struck by anyone. Mum and dad should keep their hands to themselves and dare say from now on they will think twice about punching strangers.

I'd need to be friends with you then, wouldn't I? You witnessed an act of self defence? Punching an old lady in the face was acceptable? Imagine it was your mother ... still think it's okay? Come to think of it, you probably would.

I didn't think there would be that many people from Hua Hin that have had frontal lobotomies?

Up until the release of the video people in Hua Hin both Thai and expat were led to believe, that it was a unprovoked attack, but now they are seeing the incident for what it was, a altercation started by three drunken tourists.

Nobody is condoning the head kicker and he should be punished, but what we see now, is that they and their anonymous storyteller (Mr red and white shirt bar owner) are milking the media for all it's worth.

Inflammatory posts have been removed:

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

From what you read? OK. Well from what I saw, the guy with the cap started the whole incident when he pushed the Asian man at 0:23 seconds. Did you see that? Did you see the woman shove and then slap the Asian guy around 0:56 seconds?

No, I didn't see any holiday photos. I saw a guy initiate a conflict with a push at 0:23 seconds and the woman slap the Asian man at about 0:56 seconds.

Yes, I think they had a huge entitlement mentality as I think most who come from the States, Britain and Australia do at least that has been my experience.

The trio had a bit much to drink = being drunk. I have been drunk a few times in my life, never have I "balanced" myself by pushing while walking past anyone. But that's me. I have never "brushed" past anyone; drunk or sober like that guy did.

She didn't get kicked for "nothing" although the force used by the Asian guy was excessive beyond what a simple slap should have garnered her. I don't think I will be getting drunk, pushing anyone or slapping anyone to cause an altercation in someone elses country so I can't imagine why anyone would kick me. But I will keep you abreast.

Regarding posting a video, I would like someone to post the doctored video that has been mentioned so I can see evidently what I may be missing.

An act of aggression by thuggish geriatrics? Huge entitlement mentality? Perhaps they went out that night with the sole intention of sneering at Thais and looking down their noses at them? I'll give you high marks for imagination, zero for humanity.

If my mother slapped someone unprovoked and an ass whipping ensured because of it - yes, she caused it and got what she deserved.

The rules don't change just because it's a woman, my sister, mother, brother or even me.

What rules are these? Not the rules of people with any sense of decency. In your world we all kowtow to the biggest bully, perhaps that's the way you like it? Sad.

What rules are these? Not the rules of people with any sense of decency. In your world we all kowtow to the biggest bully, perhaps that's the way you like it? Sad.

There are no rules in street fighting, anything goes, there is no concept of fighting fair and things can get ugly, which is why you should stay out of them.

Stander

I'm not talking about Marquis of Queensbury, or street fighting. I'm talking about whether it's acceptable for a gang to beat up a couple of geriatrics ... people who may have lost their lives taking those types of blows. I don't think it is ... unless your life is threatened by them, which clearly was not the case here.

I hope the thugs serve a long time in prison.

Stander

I'm not talking about Marquis of Queensbury, or street fighting. I'm talking about whether it's acceptable for a gang to beat up a couple of geriatrics ... people who may have lost their lives taking those types of blows. I don't think it is ... unless your life is threatened by them, which clearly was not the case here.

I hope the thugs serve a long time in prison.

I don't agree, it was a street fight, started by the tourist trio's aggression and lack of self-control, due mostly to excessive consumption of alcohol.

As I have said the header kicker and only the head kicker deserves to serve time, but not a substantial period as called for by some of the TV members.

As a long term resident of Hua Hin, I am satisfied that now that I have got the message out and that the majority are seeing the incident for what it is.

Curious that the Association Press news report in this thread is entirely silent on the subject of will they (or won't they) ever return to Thailand. The other news report simply repeats one of the claims from a prior Thai news report.

I was hoping this latest round of reports from external media would help break the news reporting tie on will they/won't they.

Archived