'I still have nightmares,' says British grandmother who was beaten unconscious in Thailand

Still, no comment on who initiated the confrontation?

The reality is no one would have gotten into a fight, no one would be in jail and a geriatric old woman would still have all her pearly whites in her mouth had her and her family not been belligerent drunks practicing mindful thuggery.

It appears you and a few others seem to think it's ok for the British family to have started this all. Can you please explain why?

Yawn! Maybe you could take your brave Thai friends a food parcel when they are in jail?

If tonight some farang staggers home after too many drinks, turns round a corner and bumps into someone, and that someone shoots him in the head, you'd claim that he deserved it because "he started it". My view would be that he didn't. I don't tend to respond to you because your points are asinine and ignorant.

So why are the family not on trial? Your buddies are going to jail.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The reality is no one would have gotten into a fight, no one would be in jail and a geriatric old woman would still have all her pearly whites in her mouth had her and her family not been belligerent drunks practicing mindful thuggery.

It appears you and a few others seem to think it's ok for the British family to have started this all. Can you please explain why?

Yawn! Maybe you could take your brave Thai friends a food parcel when they are in jail?

If tonight some farang staggers home after too many drinks, turns round a corner and bumps into someone, and that someone shoots him in the head, you'd claim that he deserved it because "he started it". My view would be that he didn't. I don't tend to respond to you because your points are asinine and ignorant.

AlexRich - careful not to loose context.

Had this been a simple case of someone bumping into another and apologising nothing more would have occurred - your example looses sight of common sense and becomes a little absurd.

This is a situation where both sides let the situation escalate way out of control. Both sides were clearly complicit in escalation.

The video shows the Mother and Father getting physically involved beyond a defensive manner by hitting out.

I've been in similar situations a number of times... perhaps not looking where I'm going, under the influence etc and a brush against or bump into someone else... the immediate reaction is to raise the hand, nod an apology and say sorry.

Simple acknowledgment of a simple mistake is all it 'usually takes' to mitigate any potential aggravation - especially in Thailand.

With the benefit of hindsight this situation would have been avoided had the Son apologised. A further and inexcusable beating would have been avoided had both the mother and the father not become physically involved.

Once the altercation become physical - the 4 Thai guys escalated the indigent to aggravated assault and the 'kick', possibly attempted murder.

The 4 Thai guys should be clearly be charged.

But, in no way were the British Family non-complicit. They didn't deserve this, but they are not completely innocent parties either.

Had this been a simple case of someone bumping into another and apologising nothing more would have occurred - your example looses sight of common sense and becomes a little absurd.

This is a situation where both sides let the situation escalate way out of control. Both sides were clearly complicit in escalation.

The video shows the Mother and Father getting physically involved beyond a defensive manner by hitting out.

I've been in similar situations a number of times... perhaps not looking where I'm going, under the influence etc and a brush against or bump into someone else... the immediate reaction is to raise the hand, nod an apology and say sorry.

Simple acknowledgment of a simple mistake is all it 'usually takes' to mitigate any potential aggravation - especially in Thailand.

With the benefit of hindsight this situation would have been avoided had the Son apologised. A further and inexcusable beating would have been avoided had both the mother and the father not become physically involved.

Once the altercation become physical - the 4 Thai guys escalated the indigent to aggravated assault and the 'kick', possibly attempted murder.

But, in no way were the British Family non-complicit. They didn't deserve this, but they are not completely innocent parties either.

What if you're so drunk you don't even realise you've done something? That's what the son looked like to me. I don't drink, so I don't advocate anyone doing that, but we all know it happens. There was no real physical harm done to that guy ... over the top reaction. As for the guy above, he's already stated if his mother got into an altercation and slapped someone, she deserves to get hospitalised for it. So my analogy, where he is concerned, is not so wide of the mark. He believes that any provocation should be responded to with violence ... I don't know of many son's who would visit their mother in hospital, and tell her she deserved it? But of course you can make any claim you like on here ... but fear not, I won't be responding to his trolls anymore. Let justice be done.

What if you're so drunk you don't even realise you've done something? That's what the son looked like to me. I don't drink, so I don't advocate anyone doing that, but we all know it happens. There was no real physical harm done to that guy ... over the top reaction. As for the guy above, he's already stated if his mother got into an altercation and slapped someone, she deserves to get hospitalised for it. So my analogy, where he is concerned, is not so wide of the mark. He believes that any provocation should be responded to with violence ... I don't know of many son's who would visit their mother in hospital, and tell her she deserved it? But of course you can make any claim you like on here ... but fear not, I won't be responding to his trolls anymore. Let justice be done.

I don't think the 'Son' accidentally bumped into the Thai guy. It doesn't look like he bumped into him at all.

18 seconds into the Video you can see the 'Son' walking past the Thai guy, but he extends his arm for some reason... This triggers the whole sequence of events... it looks like a deliberate movement to 'touch' the other guy...

Of course, the Thai guy, as many would could simply have ignored the 'extended arm'... after all lots of weird stuff happens in crowds of drunk people.

However, watching the video right from the start its clear that the Thai guy is already agitated, he seems to be having an argument with another guy.

I'm assuming the 'touch' from the Westerner (son) triggered an aggressive reaction in an already agitated person.

That doesn't in anyway excuse what happened. But it goes some way to explaining that this event wasn't some random beating of innocent tourists.

Nope.

That would be an innocent bump. What I saw on the video was not an innocent bump, it looked like a dismissive shove.

What if you are so drunk you don't even realize you've done something wrong? Well, you might get beat in the street. Why should someone else be responsible to handle a drunk just because a drunk can't handle himself when he chooses to get drunk? That, however was not the case here; the son was cognizant enough to shove the Asian guy and he and his belligerent, drunk family got beat because of a situation he initiated.

The rules of keeping your hands to yourself should not change just becasue its my mother.

You don't know of many son's who would visit their mother in the hospital and tell her she deserved it (if indeed she was on video being a bully)? Well, now you of at least one :)

You call someone's comments "asinine and ignorant" but someone else is a "troll"?

LOL Right LOL

The Thai guys.. Them.... Those ... The...

Are all Thai men one unit? The first Thai man should get a medal for restraint. the second Thai man was fully justified, the third was.. well not sure, the fourth should be prosecuted.

Do you have a point to make or are you just rambling on for the sake of using up space?

Sure made it clearly several times- as in the above. Can you even read? Are you ridiculing and dismissive for a particular reason- like you can't convince anyone I'm wrong and you're right?

He's "Thaier than Thai".

Moonsterk. Why are the Thai men (I don't know their names) on trial? Do you think that we might be in the process of having a terrible miscarriage of justice?

Just a suggestion. You come out from behind the veil of Thai Visa, go public so to speak, and campaign to free the "Hua Hin 4". You could arrange a fundraising through a crowdfunding site, and design and manufacture some t-shirts in support of the cause. It worked for Nelson Mandela, so perhaps it will work for your "innocent" Thai friends.

I'm pretty sure the public will get behind you, once you've presented your evidence after going through the tapes so thoroughly. Who knows, you might even get a medal?

You know it makes sense!

So when you're out of arguments - by all means resort to (weak) ridicule. So I suppose the Myanmar boys are guilty after all in the Koh Tao murders- using your logic....

As I've written several times I do not hold all four Thai men equally accountable in the melee, but I do hold the Owens family responsible for what happened to them.

Please explain how pushing, slapping and sucker punching is not assault.

BTW, I'm making a video montage of the rumble Looking for suggestions on a title, maybe I'll call it Bat-Crazy Family featuring Fat-Gurl - lots of the biff bam boom inserts a la the old Batman TV show.

The part where Jr curls up his fist to take a punch, and then takes it in the face, leaving his hands in the air to trail down after his falling self is comedy gold.

You won't be responding to those winning the argument.....

You conveniently forget the son holding Thai man # 2 so Sr can punch him That's what earned both Sr and Jr their beating-.

Then you do not see, or ignore the Foreign man in a red and white shirt getting involved by putting a third Thai man in a head hold, and get some sense knocked into him for it. His involvement is what brings in the fourth man- seeing 3 foreign men going after 2 Thai men.

Of course mama, instead of getting away, like any sensible woman would, instead moves toward, and confronts second Thai man gets her first punch which I believe is now completely justified.

The kick to her face by fourth Thai man is not justified- he should be punished but mama needed to walk away, just like the foreigner in the white T shirt tried to get her to do, but instead she shooed him off, turned and walked toward the second Thai man who had been held and hit by her son and husband.

That reply doesn't answer Moonsterk's question, namely are all Thai men one unit?

Do you have a point to make or are you just rambling on for the sake of using up space?

Well to the " Us vs. Them" proponents, they are just one unit and thoroughly beneath the snotty UK types whom we find are so often in the news as victims.

I predict jail time for fourth man, the kicker of mama, but fines and perhaps 2 year suspended sentences for the other three, of course the U vs.T will continue to defend Ma barker's escalation of a minor issue into a rumble.

I'll give it a whack..

The family is completely innocent because:

The family is Caucasian.... Or White for the simple folk that have tuned in..

Justification why the Thai's are guilty as sin for starting this confrontation.

In the eyes of white ignorant racist:

Not born white.

Born Thai in Thailand.

Bad parents.

Poor.

Not educated.

Alcoholic's.

Their jealous.

Thugs.

Punks.

Pussies.

Scum.

I'm sure I missed other words that explaines why these Thai's are guilty of starting the fight with this particular family!

And not with the other white tourist walking by at the same time that night..

In the world of reality...

The son started it!! No reason to touch that Thai man at that particular time.

Thai man shouldn't have pushed the son.

The mother shouldn't have slapped then shoved and go Rambo on a drunk Thai.

After that, it was self-defense... As in either fight back or run away..

The White's from Wales challenged the Thai's from Thailand and lost..

Then the unthinkable happened!!!

Not the impossible, or "NOT" the most brutal assault ever... Just stating facts, not backing Thai's..

One Thai man kicks the old lady in the face..

Now you got most of the world on her side..

With of course, the video clip just showing the knockouts.. And the headlines that read; "Brits Brutally Attacked!, by drunken Thai's" airing on news stations all over the world..

Now, the same clowns will respond and do their whining on how I'm wrong... Blah, blah, blah...

And I don't care.. I'm still staying here in Thailand...

My tuppence worth:

the son really accidently (and unfortunately) bumped with the agitated Thai guy,no eye contact was made before or at the time and so both accidently touched each other and sons arm actually looked like it got tied up in the Thai mans arm totally accidently then he was pushed with very little force and fell over as drunk....Mum is angry as knows her son did not actually do anything...apart from accidentally brush with the Thai mans but she didnt even know that happened anyway so think he was pushed over completely for nothing...shes angry as any Mum would be but yes she shoudnt have slapped anyone.......and that guy she slapped didnt actually do anything back to them that i can see then it all goes a bit over the top as Grand Pa sucker punches mr black shirt who then retaliates with a sucker punch himself then son and mum get involved more in support of Grand Pa who then all get punched........then the kicking and stomping is where it starts to be totally out of order.....no need for that shit on old people who already down so thats where any self defense argument goes out the window on Thai part and was totally unnecessary..i never understand stomping and kicking motionless people on the ground..what is the purpose of that as have proved there point already but cant resist to try inflict more serious injury or even death could occur due to that!! The guy who not even involved but i guess is a friend of Thai guys involved decides hes really brave and has to kick Grand ma as she tries to get up......hes the worst cu#t as feels he needs to do something to show how brave he is!! he deserves the worst punishment out of all and the others for the stomping/kicking of old people on the ground deserve something for being nasty........worst injuries could have occurred from that and actually there was no need to punch grand ma and son after knocking out grand pa as he obviously younger/stronger than them and so could have defended himself easily against any attack they could muster ..with just a simple push away but maybe he was caught up in the moment and punched..but the kicking in head bullshit is certainly not right.

If that was my mum then i certainly would have a big problem with what they did..an old lady can hardly cause much pain even with a slap/punch and a simple push away would have been the most needed in any old lady situation..the guy that kicked her while she tried to get up would be getting a severe beating from me at some point as that would not be left to lie,...that kick could have caused very severe and un necessary damage or death and he wasnt even involved..this is the lowest of low in my book and he deserves the most hatred and punishment.........such a brave fella he is!! In my book old people and children have no real threat to me so no need for any harsh violence in any situation as could not really hurt me so no need to worry......even if drunk i could NEVER kick an old person on the floor..i would be ashamed of myself forever but wouldnt do it anyway!! the last kick guy to old lady i would enjoy to hurt,what a wank#r.He really is a scumbag......i understand people saying the British started it which they done was more in a retaliation only to what they "thought" was an unprovoked attack on there son.......it escalated due to drunkness and misunderstanding of what really happened by both parties(this is why many stupid street fights occur) but really it got nasty due to Thais going beyond normal moral boundaries due to them being drunk but i think drunkness is not an excuse to kick/stomp old people or even anyone.......so anyone who says the oldies deserved what they got then maybe they need to look at themselves and check there morality..if my mum in the vidoe then i would have said you shouldnt have escalated the situation but i certainly would not say she deserved what she got in any way and those that say she did then im glad we not related!!! as you think an old lady deserves a beatdown and kick in the head for a slap she did.......slapped back is the worst she deserved if that.....i could easily defend myself from an old lady without punching her even if she did slap me!!! i certainly would not feel brave punching a small old lady who slapped me.

My tuppence worth:

the son really accidently (and unfortunately) bumped with the agitated Thai guy,no eye contact was made before or at the time and so both accidently touched each other and sons arm actually looked like it got tied up in the Thai mans arm totally accidently then he was pushed with very little force and fell over as drunk....Mum is angry as knows her son did not actually do anything...apart from accidentally brush with the Thai mans but she didnt even know that happened anyway so think he was pushed over completely for nothing...shes angry as any Mum would be but yes she shoudnt have slapped anyone.......and that guy she slapped didnt actually do anything back to them that i can see then it all goes a bit over the top as Grand Pa sucker punches mr black shirt who then retaliates with a sucker punch himself then son and mum get involved more in support of Grand Pa who then all get punched........then the kicking and stomping is where it starts to be totally out of order.....no need for that shit on old people who already down so thats where any self defense argument goes out the window on Thai part and was totally unnecessary..i never understand stomping and kicking motionless people on the ground..what is the purpose of that as have proved there point already but cant resist to try inflict more serious injury or even death could occur due to that!! The guy who not even involved but i guess is a friend of Thai guys involved decides hes really brave and has to kick Grand ma as she tries to get up......hes the worst cu#t as feels he needs to do something to show how brave he is!! he deserves the worst punishment out of all and the others for the stomping/kicking of old people on the ground deserve something for being nasty........worst injuries could have occurred from that and actually there was no need to punch grand ma and son after knocking out grand pa as he obviously younger/stronger than them and so could have defended himself easily against any attack they could muster ..with just a simple push away but maybe he was caught up in the moment and punched..but the kicking in head bullshit is certainly not right.

If that was my mum then i certainly would have a big problem with what they did..an old lady can hardly cause much pain even with a slap/punch and a simple push away would have been the most needed in any old lady situation..the guy that kicked her while she tried to get up would be getting a severe beating from me at some point as that would not be left to lie,...that kick could have caused very severe and un necessary damage or death and he wasnt even involved..this is the lowest of low in my book and he deserves the most hatred and punishment.........such a brave fella he is!! In my book old people and children have no real threat to me so no need for any harsh violence in any situation as could not really hurt me so no need to worry......even if drunk i could NEVER kick an old person on the floor..i would be ashamed of myself forever but wouldnt do it anyway!! the last kick guy to old lady i would enjoy to hurt,what a wank#r.He really is a scumbag......i understand people saying the British started it which they done was more in a retaliation only to what they "thought" was an unprovoked attack on there son.......it escalated due to drunkness and misunderstanding of what really happened by both parties(this is why many stupid street fights occur) but really it got nasty due to Thais going beyond normal moral boundaries due to them being drunk but i think drunkness is not an excuse to kick/stomp old people or even anyone.......so anyone who says the oldies deserved what they got then maybe they need to look at themselves and check there morality..if my mum in the vidoe then i would have said you shouldnt have escalated the situation but i certainly would not say she deserved what she got in any way and those that say she did then im glad we not related!!! as you think an old lady deserves a beatdown and kick in the head for a slap she did.......slapped back is the worst she deserved if that.....i could easily defend myself from an old lady without punching her even if she did slap me!!! i certainly would not feel brave punching a small old lady who slapped me.

Except the man had been held, and punched by the father and son, then the son was coming at him again, and oh oh now so was mama- she deserved that punch. She asked for it. In fact she practically begged.

Any sensible person would have moved away at the first sign of trouble- she looked for trouble, and she found it.

I doubt we're related, ( if you are referring to moi) and it is as relevant to the discussion as the next blue moon.

ok i didnt see the son punch anyone but maybe i missed that so will have to look the video again for that bit......i dont think any old people deserve a knock out punch as not really a threat even if coming forward....i certainly would not be worried about a lady pensioner of about 5ft 3inch tall advancing to me ...im sure a push would have sufficed to her and son but they were advancing as defending there family which many would do.....the problem is it is all based on misinformation as mama thinks son was pushed over for nothing in the beginning and so she was aggressive and the Thais think the old people were also causing problems for no reason so both parties angry as think they both were done wrong when it was actually just a real accident that started it all off,yes the Farangs should not have escalated it as they did....but they certainly did not deserve any kicks in the head and stomps and gran ma was hardly a threat when she tried to get up and got a vicious kick......so if you think they deserved all that then is up to you but i just angry as think if was my Mum that had been kicked in the head like that then really is out of order.....they were hardly under any real dangerous threat that mum(Gran ma) has to be taken out unless you worried she was going to get up and damage you bad..i dont think so in this case!!..of course we not related as i loved my mum and could not see her assaulted in such a way and think she deserved it even if slapping a young man first......she may have done wrong in the situation but im just saying what they got was beyond a normal response from any normal people,i only mention im glad we not related as obviously you havent got your families back in any situation and thats a shame....if she was killed by that last kick and was your Mum then maybe you still not upset which would be a shame and you seem to think there is no age limit to any assault.....for me then kids,oaps and ladies are not to be beaten/kicked unconscous in any situation but maybe you feel threatened by them and think is ok if the situation is right like a little slap!!!! I hope your Mum is proud of you ,sleep well....im sure you will and do.

Archived