'I still have nightmares,' says British grandmother who was beaten unconscious in Thailand

I think the majority of people around the world who have seen this incident have got the message ... avoid vacationing in Thailand. Unfortunately, it will affect the pockets of people with no involvement in it.

And the minister who described the incident as a "nightmare" knows it.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the majority of people around the world who have seen this incident have got the message ... avoid vacationing in Thailand. Unfortunately, it will affect the pockets of people with no involvement in it.

And the minister who described the incident as a "nightmare" knows it.

Yes ....."avoid vacationing in Thailand"...... it is obvious that people, like yourself who have an axe to grind will look for every possible angle so they can twist and distort issues to portray Thailand in as bad a light as possible

The motive puzzles me.

You live in Hua Hin, and you love it. I get that, but acting as an apologist for mindless thuggery doesn't help Hua Hin. Just so you know, people like me live and spend money in Thailand. But if Thailand is not able to protect visitors, it should not be surprised to see them go elsewhere.

I made a comment, not sure if it made it (internet problems) or was tagged as a troll post?

But hear it goes again.

This old women from Wales should have started her testimony by apologizing to the Thai man she slapped and shoved - period!!

I guess if she verbally admits she contributed to her own face getting kicked, she would be admitting guilt as being part of, not just an innocent victim of this incident..

Anyone with common sense knows her actions caused the fight to escalate to the point to where it did..

But she's on her way home as the Thai's justifiably go to trial for their actions...

The last Thai man should be prosecuted, but this was not a pack, not a gang and as far as I can see from the video, the last Thai man was not associated with the first or second, he just jumped in for...well... just for kicks.

The first Thai man, who got slapped, and then held and punched should not be prosecuted- in fact I think he handled himself well in the initial confrontations. And after Ma Barker kept wandering about looking to confronting angry Thai men - she cannot claim innocence or deny responsibility in what then happened- a punch.

Why are Thai authorities kow-towing to these foreign, now globally martyred trouble makers in holding all the Thai men equally responsible- or are they? I hope not.

If my mother slapped someone unprovoked and an ass whipping ensured because of it - yes, she caused it and got what she deserved.

The rules don't change just because it's a woman, my sister, mother, brother or even me.

What rules are these? Not the rules of people with any sense of decency. In your world we all kowtow to the biggest bully, perhaps that's the way you like it? Sad.

The Owen family ganged up on the first Thai man, that was the bullying. Holding someone so somebody else can punch them is about as bullying as it gets

I for one have no sympathy for the Owen family, especially the woman, she thought she could slap someone and some outdated, European code would preclude a retaliation. She was so wrong...

And frankly those kicks, while brutal, and indictable absolutely- did not kill them, which had they been meant to, would have.

You live in Hua Hin, and you love it. I get that, but acting as an apologist for mindless thuggery doesn't help Hua Hin. Just so you know, people like me live and spend money in Thailand. But if Thailand is not able to protect visitors, it should not be surprised to see them go elsewhere.

Yes, I like living in Hua Hin and have done for many years.

I am just going with the facts, which clearly shows that the altercation was not unprovoked, the tourists were the aggressors, and their injuries as reported were exaggerated.

If that makes me a apologist then I will wear the badge with pride.

I believe that the tourist trio needs to be held accountable for their actions.

Had this happened in the West, they, along with the head kicker would have been charged with assault.

It was the thai who acted physically first, he pushed her son who then fell and hit his head on the kerb....those kind of falls have knocked people senseless or worse. We then see the woman and thai man talking.....it is not clear what he said to her....what if he abused her and then she slapped him....that would make the thai the instigator.

It was the son who acted physically first in an argument between two thai men he didn't know.

The son then tripped over his own leg in what looked like a drunken stumble, which led mum to wrongly believe he was pushed.

Mum then pulled the hair & raked the face of one Thai and slapped the face of another.

Meanwhile Dad sly punched a Thai who was trying to help in the face.

All three were jostling, pulling and running their mouths off.

This is all before the first Thai punch got thrown.

Has the woman been charged with assault yet? I clearly saw her slap a Thai man across the face in an unprovoked attack.

Good question.

Try wearing your specs and watch the video again. The initial incident involving the family was definitely the Thai guy pushing the son. I do agree however that he went down rather easily probably as a result of being drunk. Took a bit of a bash on the head. The son was later seen holding one of the Thai men and the only punch thrown at that time was from the old man who then retreated quickly.

Den

Disagree, Jr starts the incident- he does some strange thing that is not apparent from the angle of the view, it looks like a lingering caress ( A nipple twister? ) across the chest of the Thai man as they barely brush by each other. Do that to a woman, and she'll claim a sexual assault.

Now the Thai man has just been in an argument and is agitated, and does give Jr a small push, but Jr, it looks to me, just stumbles and trips over his mother- who then I note leaves him on the ground motionless, unattended, to confront the Thai man, run her mouth, slap and push him.

The family are not on trial. So it appears that both the Thai Police and Thai prosecution service believe there is a case to answer? You guys are not in a majority, you're in a minority.

Yes, you are right they are not on trial and mores the pity, but that does not change the fact that if they had not been so aggressive then none of this would have happened.

What rules? The rules of keep your hands to yourself. If this family conducted themselves with any "sense of decency" they would not have gotten drunk and would not have placed their hands on anyone to initiate a physical confrontation. Good points about that decency. I don't think people should kowtow to any bully which is why you see the Asian guy come back and push the guy with the cap after the guy pushed him first. Same with the mother, had she not acted like a bully and shoved then slapped the Asian guy she probably would have not gotten beat.

Great points about that rules and decency!

If my mother slapped someone unprovoked and an ass whipping ensured because of it - yes, she caused it and got what she deserved.

The rules don't change just because it's a woman, my sister, mother, brother or even me.

What rules are these? Not the rules of people with any sense of decency. In your world we all kowtow to the biggest bully, perhaps that's the way you like it? Sad.

Bingo!!

There are no rules in street fighting, anything goes, there is no concept of fighting fair and things can get ugly, which is why you should stay out of them.

This British family initiated a street fight. If you are a geriatric you should not be initiating street fights. Mouthing off in public while drunk and being geriatric may not be a wise thing to do especially in someone elses country. You might get your teeth literally kicked in.

Hiding behind age may not prevent you from getting beat in the street.

Stander

I'm not talking about Marquis of Queensbury, or street fighting. I'm talking about whether it's acceptable for a gang to beat up a couple of geriatrics ... people who may have lost their lives taking those types of blows. I don't think it is ... unless your life is threatened by them, which clearly was not the case here.

I hope the thugs serve a long time in prison.

Stander,

You make great points. It's not as if this family was coming home from a church service and reflecting on the grace of God's good words. They were drunk and out of control and they need to take personal responsibility for that.

Stander

I'm not talking about Marquis of Queensbury, or street fighting. I'm talking about whether it's acceptable for a gang to beat up a couple of geriatrics ... people who may have lost their lives taking those types of blows. I don't think it is ... unless your life is threatened by them, which clearly was not the case here.

I hope the thugs serve a long time in prison.

I don't agree, it was a street fight, started by the tourist trio's aggression and lack of self-control, due mostly to excessive consumption of alcohol.

As I have said the header kicker and only the head kicker deserves to serve time, but not a substantial period as called for by some of the TV members.

As a long term resident of Hua Hin, I am satisfied that now that I have got the message out and that the majority are seeing the incident for what it is.

Mindless thuggery?

Like drunkenly shoving someone which initiates a confrontation?

Like drunkenly slapping someone?

Good points the way you classify the British family's mindless thuggery!

Mindless thuggery?

Yes, mindless thuggery, by a group of Thai troublemakers ... actions which you appear to approve of? You are in the minority, decent people don't beat up old folks, only scumbags do that. And that's why they are going to court ... and most people, in Thailand and around the world, understand why, even if you don't.

"Mindless thuggery" is only committed by Thai troublemakers? Perhaps the British family was practicing "Mindful thuggery" which is what initiated the whole encounter.

Being old is not carte blanche to do or say whatever you want. If old people feel that way, there is a British family who took an ass beating in Thailand I'd like to refer them to.

Mindless thuggery?

Yes, mindless thuggery, by a group of Thai troublemakers ... actions which you appear to approve of? You are in the minority, decent people don't beat up old folks, only scumbags do that. And that's why they are going to court ... and most people, in Thailand and around the world, understand why, even if you don't.

Me too I also do every night the same nightmare: An old lady threw himself on me to hit me...
Difficult to describe the person as her face is scary.
This is why I sympathize with the pain and joined up with all the bright feathers of Thai Visa to whine in unison.
OK I go... spamsign.gif

Stop talking <deleted>

How old lady can hit you?

Are you m..oist?blink.pngbah.gif

The family are not on trial. So it appears that both the Thai Police and Thai prosecution service believe there is a case to answer? You guys are not in a majority, you're in a minority.

Sure the last kicks from the younger Thai man who came in out of no where is indictable. The first two Thai man were attacked by the family, and should not be charged- unless the family are.

Four men are not one, and should not be treated as one in a legal sense.

And social media is full of lies, and UK media is censoring the video to perpetuate the lie, which you are trying hard to make the reader of this thread believe.

But the video is clear, viewed at 1/4 speed the family attacked and assaulted 2 Thai men, one of which defended himself- he did lose his temper kicking Sr, but Sr had punched him while Jr held him..so sorry Sr deserved his beating...

He also elbowed Ms Owen as she came at him.. He clearly is gesturing to her ", stay away from me" she keeps coming he knocks her down, BUT he did not kick her that last kick to her was from that young Thai man out of no where who, IMO is the only person in this incident who should be charges- unless EVERYONE else is charges accordingly

The Owen family are not innocent- they assaulted two Thai men first.

Yawn! Maybe you could take your brave Thai friends a food parcel when they are in jail?

They aren't my friends, but that does not mean I will perpetuate a lie against them as you are doing.

Do you have a habit of fostering lies and misinformation?

Have you viewed the video in reduced speed?

If so, do you still claim the Owen family in no way contributed to the escalation of violence?

Do you deny Ms. Owens slaps and pushes repeatedly the first Thai man at starting at :50?

Do you deny Jr/ holds the second Thai man while Sr punches him at 1:16?

Can t you see tha last kick is by a fourth Thai man and was not by the first or second?

Can you differentiate between Thai men?

I feel for her. The judiciary here simply have to make an example of these cowardly idiots who stomped and kicked her on the deck.

The guy who laid in with the muay thai kick to the face should get the maximum penalty. Pretty sure 500baht fines are off the menu now that international media are reporting on it

Hua Hin is not Pattaya. I am told they will get 4 years jail!

With 4 years taken off for good behaviour

"Mindless thuggery" is only committed by Thai troublemakers? Perhaps the British family was practicing "Mindful thuggery" which is what initiated the whole encounter.

Being old is not carte blanche to do or say whatever you want. If old people feel that way, there is a British family who took an ass beating in Thailand I'd like to refer them to.

Mindless thuggery?

It is one thing to defend yourself and quite another to use excessive force and the Thai guys used excessive force.

It is one thing to defend yourself and quite another to use excessive force and the Thai guys used excessive force.

The Thai guys.. Them.... Those ... The...

Are all Thai men one unit? The first Thai man should get a medal for restraint. the second Thai man was fully justified, the third was.. well not sure, the fourth should be prosecuted.

The Thai guys.. Them.... Those ... The...

Are all Thai men one unit? The first Thai man should get a medal for restraint. the second Thai man was fully justified, the third was.. well not sure, the fourth should be prosecuted.

Do you have a point to make or are you just rambling on for the sake of using up space?

He's "Thaier than Thai".

Moonsterk. Why are the Thai men (I don't know their names) on trial? Do you think that we might be in the process of having a terrible miscarriage of justice?

Just a suggestion. You come out from behind the veil of Thai Visa, go public so to speak, and campaign to free the "Hua Hin 4". You could arrange a fundraising through a crowdfunding site, and design and manufacture some t-shirts in support of the cause. It worked for Nelson Mandela, so perhaps it will work for your "innocent" Thai friends.

I'm pretty sure the public will get behind you, once you've presented your evidence after going through the tapes so thoroughly. Who knows, you might even get a medal?

You know it makes sense!

Still, no comment on who initiated the confrontation?

The reality is no one would have gotten into a fight, no one would be in jail and a geriatric old woman would still have all her pearly whites in her mouth had her and her family not been belligerent drunks practicing mindful thuggery.

It appears you and a few others seem to think it's ok for the British family to have started this all. Can you please explain why?

Yawn! Maybe you could take your brave Thai friends a food parcel when they are in jail?

I saw only one Thai guy use excessive force and he was the one who kicked the woman. So charge him and the British family only with assault.

Why are the family not on trial? Why would Thai authorities seek to prosecute Thai's, who you lot think are completely innocent?

Possibly because they are guilty?

So when will the Free the Hua Hin 4 campaign begin? Will you be funding their defence? You guys could present your analysis to the court ... and campaign outside the court in protest at the injustice. You'll be guaranteed media coverage.

I look forward to seeing you all.

Archived