Young guy in Udon Thani

khunUK

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think I'm going to head to Khon Kaen first anyway. Then take a trip to Udon for a few days and see what I think smile.png

As a matter of interest, why are you going to that area of Thailand? Chiang Mai tends to attract a younger crowd of foreigner.

Really to get away from tourist areas, see Thailand in a different light. It will force me to use and learn more Thai as well. I felt so uncomfortable using my basic thai last time I visited, so hopefully spending time in Khon Kaen will get my thai a little bit better.

Think I'm going to head to Khon Kaen first anyway. Then take a trip to Udon for a few days and see what I think smile.png

As a matter of interest, why are you going to that area of Thailand? Chiang Mai tends to attract a younger crowd of foreigner.

Really to get away from tourist areas, see Thailand in a different light. It will force me to use and learn more Thai as well. I felt so uncomfortable using my basic thai last time I visited, so hopefully spending time in Khon Kaen will get my thai a little bit better.

Okay, well good luck with your trip. I've never been to that part of the country so am not clear on its attractions. But if it's not to your liking Chiang Mai has quite a lot of young travellers and well educated Thai girls.

Not in a month it won't.

They speak a dialect of Lao

You'll be more confused than ever

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh get over yourself. People in Isaan can speak "regular" Thai just <deleted> fine. Especially in Khoan Khaen. I've been all over Isaan and don't speak ANY of the dialect (all I know is the 'bo' particle). I get by totally fine and everyone I encounter is generally thrilled that I can speak 'regular' Thai. No one other than you and your high horse give a damn whether or not a foreigner is going to speak their specific dialect.

OP - if you really immerse yourself your Thai will improve dramatically in a month.

Not in a month it won't.

They speak a dialect of Lao

You'll be more confused than ever

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh get over yourself. People in Isaan can speak "regular" Thai just <deleted> fine. Especially in Khoan Khaen. I've been all over Isaan and don't speak ANY of the dialect (all I know is the 'bo' particle). I get by totally fine and everyone I encounter is generally thrilled that I can speak 'regular' Thai. No one other than you and your high horse give a damn whether or not a foreigner is going to speak their specific dialect.

OP - if you really immerse yourself your Thai will improve dramatically in a month.

Check your messages

I don't plan on being fluent in a month....

But to get better at basic thai and be able to use it confidently.

Buy yeah, going to Khon Kaen! I can always head up to check out Udon Thani for a few days!

Can't wait now

Well it begs the question after eleven years why are you still here Duncan? Udon Thani is not far for you to move to is it.

I enjoy the quiet life, and have some very good friends here.

Any other questions ?

Well it begs the question after eleven years why are you still here Duncan? Udon Thani is not far for you to move to is it.

Any other questions ?

Not at all just don't understand anyone wanting to stay a place that is disappointing to them,even with good friends and the quiet life.

Each to there own though.

Any other questions ?

Not at all just don't understand anyone wanting to stay a place that is disappointing to them,even with good friends and the quiet life.

Each to there own though.

I did not say it is disappointing to me personally, but the OP stresses the fact that he is a young guy.

Last time I was in the area, there was regular and frequent 1st class bus service between Udon Thani and KK, connecting the main bus terminals in each city. Frequent trips, tickets not expensive. Pretty easy to go back and forth, even if you don't have your own wheels.

Dear OP<

Please be very careful when you're updating your Farcebook's status and of course when you see that your wife/gf, gig, etc.writes some serious shit"' to another man" (Hey Joe, where do you go with that gun in your hand?". It seems to be a sort of dangerous in Udon. facepalm.gif

Here's only one example: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/554278-jealous-german-skinhead-knife-killer-caught-in-khon-kaen/

Buy yeah, going to Khon Kaen! I can always head up to check out Udon Thani for a few days!

Can't wait now

If you really want to use your stay to learn some Thai/Isaan, please buy a good book with the usual phrases. Thai is a "tonal language" and only one word can have five diffrerent meanings, depending on how the word's beeing pronunced.

Please ask a Thai language teacher how to say this in Thai: " A white man, in a white car with his white legs is driving on a white road up to a white mountan, then having some white rice on a whie dish with two white people and finds out that he needs some white tissue paper from the white shop with the nine white doors ......

( I could add some more, but that's already the limit of this tongue breaker..lol

It's great when you're able to have a chat with all sorts of eye candies,practizing/ trying your Thai. Enjoy your stay. Jindhee Dhonn Lharhb. wai2.gif

Can't wait now

If you really want to use your stay to learn some Thai/Isaan, please buy a good book with the usual phrases. Thai is a "tonal language" and only one word can have five diffrerent meanings, depending on how the word's beeing pronunced.

Please ask a Thai language teacher how to say this in Thai: " A white man, in a white car with his white legs is driving on a white road up to a white mountan, then having some white rice on a whie dish with two white people and finds out that he needs some white tissue paper from the white shop with the nine white doors ......

( I could add some more, but that's already the limit of this tongue breaker..lol

It's great when you're able to have a chat with all sorts of eye candies,practizing/ trying your Thai. Enjoy your stay. Jindhee Dhonn Lharhb. wai2.gif

Says another expert

You will definitely NOT learn Thai in six weeks as suggested earlier and as long as you like grumpy 70-80 year old Europeans,plus drunken Norwegians idiots I can guarantee you will have a fantastic time in Udon Thani.As for Khon Kaen the less said the better!

"Oh get over yourself. People in Isaan can speak "regular" Thai just <deleted> fine. Especially in Khoan Khaen. I've been all over Isaan and don't speak ANY of the dialect (all I know is the 'bo' particle). I get by totally fine and everyone I encounter is generally thrilled that I can speak 'regular' Thai. No one other than you and your high horse give a damn whether or not a foreigner is going to speak their specific dialect."

The particle is "bor"not "bo",as in "Sabai Dii Bor" (How are you?).The other particle is "Dur" as in Sok Dii Dur" (Good luck/Cheers)!

• 2 weeks later...

MrRed wrote : " Most students are infact interested in people from another culture as it is educational and interesting. "

In europe yes but not in Thailand ;

I have three children in Thailand , my oldest girl is 28 y old and did university during 4 years;

now she is working ; if I want to speak english with her, it's nearly impossible; she cannot make a normal phrase;

my second is a boy , 26 old , who is working in Taiwan since two years; I know he can speak a good chinese;

and the third is a girl, 19 y old, she will go to university this year; I hope she is good in english but as for her older sister, impossible to speak english with her; they are shy; don't want to loose face so they prefer not to speak .

But, as my son working in Taiwan , I know that thai people who were working overseas knows how to speak chinese, japanese, korean or other language ; in the middle east for example .

In my Amphoe, there is a " cafe-bar" , the owner is a thai man; he has a fluent japanese;

why I know about that and I don't speak this language ?

easy; two yeras ago a nephew of mine went to visit me in my village;

he is a lecturer in a University in Tokyo ; he speaks, read and write japanese maybe better than many japanese people;

he is doctor in history from a japanese university; his thesis , about 800 pages is written in japanese .

How do you have 3 kids that don't speak your native tongue?

Stick with Udon. Your be very disappointed with KK.

Udon is the place 2B , this week was having a large Beer Leo , in Beach Bar , Soi Sampan only 80 baht ,clap2.gif

up the road in D n nite , would be 70 baht , for a small Leo . or in cobwebb nutty park same 70 baht .

Enter the young , handsome farang , holding a bottle of water , probably bought in severn for ten baht ,

He had the cheek , to take a seat , and watch the tele, &lt;deleted&gt;. jing .

Old fart fat farlang , was rite pissed off .wai2.gif

Khun UK, if you are planning on staying in Thailand for a long time, I suggest you take a Thai course before you settle down. AUA offer them in Bangkok and many other locations. I just did a Google search, AUA Thailand, and you're in luck, they have one in Udon. I have several friends who have gone to them and have been very happy. My understanding is the courses are 6 weeks. One 6 week course will give you a basic understanding of Thai, then the next level will have you speaking not bad. It is said if you finish the third level, a total of 18 weeks, you should be at a stage that you can pretty well carry out conversations no problem and teach yourself new vocabulary etc. So go to AUA, or another school in Udon, learn the language and see if you like Udon. In your young twenties you will have no trouble picking up girls if you speak Thai.

The AUA in Udon teaches English only, no Thai. I think the only viable AUAs for Thai are BKK and CM.

Has that changed then? They used to teach Thai - although that was about five years ago I asked, to be fair.

In the good old days leo was 45 bht in Harmony with life music in Udon.

Ive heard that there is no harmony anymore in udon. ???

Now called London Calling .

Closed about three mounths ago thanks , UT .

Demolition, expected soon .

My remark that there is no harmony anymore not only refers to a bar rstaurant harmony but also to udon in general where before expats went to their favorite "beer holes" like one big family and everybody knows each other. The harmony of the good old days are gone. ????

In the good old days leo was 45 bht in Harmony with life music in Udon.

Ive heard that there is no harmony anymore in udon. ???

Now called London Calling .

Closed about three mounths ago thanks , UT .

Demolition, expected soon .

My remark that there is no harmony anymore not only refers to a bar rstaurant harmony but also to udon in general where before expats went to their favorite "beer holes" like one big family and everybody knows each other. The harmony of the good old days are gone. ????

Sounds very much like Khon Kaen.

Archived