Thai Smart Id Card Screw Up

george

Bhokin unimpressed

BANGKOK:-- The Local Administration Department blew a chance to impress Interior Minister Bhokin Bhalakula when he tried out the new smart ID card setup at a Government House demonstration yesterday.

“It’s a bad system and a bad machine,” Bhokin was heard muttering while speeding away from the department’s booth.

He had reason to be angry.

First, the scanner refused to read his fingerprints and it took officials several wipes with damp cloths before they would register. “My fingers are withering because of the cleaning but it still won’t work. Imagine, the interior minister can’t get his ID card,” he said.

When the card was finally produced, he swiped it through the smartcard reader but his personal data failed to show up on the screen. He then said the system was bad and walked away.

--The Nation 2004-04-21

Literally millions of smart ID cards have now been issued in HK without a hitch. Got one myself.

From the 2nd half of this year we can enter HK without seeing an immigration officer, just put the card in the machine and thumb on scanner.

Isn't it about time that someone gave these ministers a card to place on their desks, saying "The Buck Stops Here!"

They have to learn to take responisbility for their own department, and the cock ups that they make.

Guest chingy
ha ha ha... som nam naa

which company got the contract to supply the cards?

these cards would be just as easy to copy as a sat tv decoder card...

these peanuts should stop making their decisions based on what they see at the movies...

if i were you i wouldn't be in a hurry to get one of these smart id card, if people can crack the credit card these smart id card is a piece of cake, your info can be sold on and open market. this smart card(something similar) was introduce in California about 8-10 year ago, it never made it cause of privatecy act.

The previous Thai government wanted to be sure that no foreign company bid on the project, so they made the specification so complex that noone would want to bother. After all it's only 60 million cards.

The specification for the card was available online in a NECTEC tender. Amazingly, NECTEC won the tender themselves. It was developed for the taxpayers money. When completed, the engineers then quickly ran off and opened their own company to supply cards. I'm happy they failed.

As for copying the card.. I think I still have the specification somewhere.

ASIC