Online teaching - has anyone done this (successfully)?

I'm a native English speaker with a Masters, a decent computer and internet at 35Mbps, so teaching online seems perfect for me. Realistically I only need to earn about 15k a month, but don't know where to start.

Is it hard to get into? How did you get started with teaching online?

I'm a native English speaker with a Masters, a decent computer and internet at 35Mbps, so teaching online seems perfect for me. Realistically I only need to earn about 15k a month, but don't know where to start.

Is it hard to get into? How did you get started with teaching online?

I have never taught online, but am considering it. There’s quite a few Facebook pages dedicated to teaching English online. If you do a Facebook search you’ll get plenty of results

Sent from my wurlitzer using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 5/30/2016 at 10:54 PM, casualbiker said:

You can easily earn upwards of 70k baht teaching online full-time. I earn 35-45k part time evenings and Saturday (normally 3 hours a night and 6-7 hours on Sat). It CAN be up and down and difficult in the first few months but with IELTS experience it should be easy enough.. others have stressed the need for rock solid internet.. and yes 100% that's necessary so if you're on TRUE ya bolloxed!

Buy two internet fibre optic cables.

I have 3BB,  200his down, and another provider with only 100 mom's.Also have 4g on phone as back up

On 4/4/2018 at 11:22 AM, bovril85 said:

If you need to support yourself while travelling but dont want to work alot then this is the job to apply for.

I have been travelling round Asia for 9 months now and its all been possible because I did my TEFL.

Dada offer you a contract and you can work from any location with good internet.  It saves being tied down to one place while you work at a school.

The minimum you can work is 2 days a week for 2 hours but then there is the option of overtime if you need extra funds.

First of all buy it from groupon, do it at home, save lots of money.  Just make sure the company are certified.

Then although there are many companies that offer work they all seemed to be awkward to work for and your not guarenteed the work.

However now I work for DADA ABC and they are fantastic.  You have a contract so you know you will get paid, there is the option of overtime, the lesson plans are already done and you get to teach Chinese children English and make the lessons fun.

This has helped me achieve my goals and we are having a nice lifestyle while travelling.  

If you interested I have posted a link .....

https://www.dadaabc.com/teacher/job/p8K9T2N16e

The company will then contact you for a very brief interview and a trial lesson.  It is nothing to worry about.

Hope this helps some of you!!

Stay away from Chinese companies, especially Dada abc  and vipkids.

13 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Stay away from Chinese companies, especially Dada abc  and vipkids.

Not easy, as they have about 90% of the students! ?. So who would you recommend? Don't mention any of those tossers who use 'must have North American accent' in their ads.

Don't mention any of those tossers who use 'must have North American accent' in their ads.

Well, they are perfectly entitled to request a NA accent, since it seems most of the parents want their children to learn to speak English with a US accent.  (I speak with an Oxford UK accent, BTW...)

I am just about to move from teaching online during the evenings/weekends, to teaching full-time online.  My main reason is that I can earn more money nowadays when teaching online than teaching in-class at my international school. I can max out my teaching hours if I want to earn more money. I've already handed in my notice and am just working out my notice period.

Most online teaching jobs do seem to be teaching Chinese, Korean or Vietnamese kids.  If you don't like teaching kids, then your options are limited. I use italki.com as a channel to teach adults, mainly in Europe.

Archived