Climbing bans blamed for killing tourism at Thailand climbing meccas

rooster59

Climbing bans blamed for killing tourism at Thailand climbing meccas

Isaac Stone Simonelli

post-247607-0-87230400-1462627159_thumb.

PHUKET: Local tourism business operators this week blamed the rock climbing bans in Koh Yao Noi, Koh Phi Phi and Koh Poda for the savage drop in hotel and resort occupancy rates at Thailand’s climbing meccas – Tonsai and Railay Beach.

“Bungalow resort owners on Tonsai Beach saw occupancy rates drop by 50 per cent year on year in March, as various climbing bans drive climbers away from Krabi,” Elke Schmitz from Basecamp Tonsai rock climbing tours explained to the Phuket Gazette.

“While the four-month-old climbing bans on Koh Yao Noi and Koh Phi Phi initially seemed to affect only a small group of climbing tourists, the ban on deep water solo climbing – climbing an overhanging rock without a rope over deep water – at Koh Poda, right in front of Tonsai Beach, on February 24 brought a sudden and early end to high season to this small bay between Railay West and Ao Nang,” said Mr Schmitz.

The stunning scenery, warm waters and limestone formations in Krabi brought some of the best climbers in the world to Railay for the deep water soloing. Among the big-name climbers was 15-year-old American climber Ashima Shiraishi who, for a number of years, has been redefining the parameters of sport climbing, making ascents on climbs unconquered by any other woman.

The deep water soloing ban at Koh Poda initially led to hundreds of climbing tourists arriving in Krabi just to learn that they had travelled to one of the world’s most famous deep water solo sites in vain, explained Mr Schmitz.

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Climbing-bans-blamed-killing-tourism-Thailand-climbing/63838?desktopversion#ad-image-0

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2016-05-07

While the park's officials are very worried of tourists killing themselves while engaging in this sport,

dozens or other tourist are killed everywhere else in Thailand also engaging in leisure activates

and mainly of bike riding, I don't see the authorizes doing nothing to stop that.....

While the park's officials are very worried of tourists killing themselves while engaging in this sport,

dozens or other tourist are killed everywhere else in Thailand also engaging in leisure activates

and mainly of bike riding, I don't see the authorizes doing nothing to stop that.....

Fixing these problems would require a reform of the police department. Something the junta said they were going to do, but hasn't. Sadly.

You arm chair judges should get a life.. crazy.gif .. One says, It should be banned, it is dangerous...Because you do not climb, why should others not climb because you do not have the guts to climb. passifier.gif

Driving cars, motorbikes, are the killers in Thailand and you do not want them banned do you? Because you use them everyday

Have a nice day...I'm climbing up the local mountain with my friends today...drunk.gifdrunk.gif

It should be banned , its dangerous , , probably helps erode these rock faces ,

". . . probably helps erode those rock faces"? Really, proof?

https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn2135-rock-climbing-severely-damages-plant-ecology/

http://www.outdoorconservation.eu/conservation-section.cfm?pageid=11&sectionid=25

Plus, many use bolts and anchors that are pounded into the rock face. I'm no expert, but on soft rock, it will cause damage.

DSCF0506-300x225.jpg

". . . probably helps erode those rock faces"? Really, proof?

https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn2135-rock-climbing-severely-damages-plant-ecology/

http://www.outdoorconservation.eu/conservation-section.cfm?pageid=11&sectionid=25

Plus, many use bolts and anchors that are pounded into the rock face. I'm no expert, but on soft rock, it will cause damage.

DSCF0506-300x225.jpg

There are alternative solutions. They should just require them as a condition to climb, if that is the issue.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clean_climbing

It isn't any more dangerous than getting up in the morning if it is practiced by people who actually know what they are doing and not some idiot who wants to show his mates how macho he is and takes no precautions

“Bungalow resort owners on Tonsai Beach saw occupancy rates drop by 50 per cent year on year in March, as various climbing bans drive climbers away from Krabi,” Elke Schmitz from Basecamp Tonsai rock climbing tours explained to the Phuket Gazette.

Useless statement if you do not mention how occupancy rates dropped in other areas of Thailand that were not affected by the ban.

From the article:

Statements from park officials such as: “There is no need for an expert’s opinion on this; I can see myself that it is not safe” and “Tourist safety is our top priority, so we are thinking of what needs to be done to guarantee climbers’ safety” have raised a number of eyebrows in the climbing community.

Seems it has nothing to do with the environment. Just keeping Thailand's image in tact with no tourist accidents. Ridiculous.

Useless statement if you do not mention how occupancy rates dropped in other areas of Thailand that were not affected by the ban.

Right a lot of climbers are also campers but the LOS bosses can't blame the drop in tourist on the Thais increasing crime rate against tourist or irresponsible traffic deaths can they,because that would require a solution that they have no clue of where to began.

And, while they're at it, they should also ban water. I've heard that rain and the action of waves also erodes rocks and mountains but I have no proof of this.

Riding motorcycles, driving cars, riding bicycles, walking down the street all should be classified as potentially lethal activities (every day I read stories about injury and death related to these activities) yet I hear no calls for a ban.

A post violating forum rules has been removed from view. If you can't post something constructive, then please don't.

Posting Content & General Conduct

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

ha, what about all the rampant sex industry around thailand spreading nasty diseases. surely that is doing more damage eroding away at thailands moral fiber. we should be worrying more about thailands plastic being allowed to wash into the oceans before we worry about a few rock faces being chipped away while supporting the locals.

The TAT should study the cause and effect relationship closely. Maybe they will see

the dangers of poor policy and law enforcement and how quickly the Thai tourism

success story can go flat. blink.png

Don't think the ban has anything to do with drop in tourist numbers. Went on line yesterday to book a room in Pattaya for a friend, have never seen so many deals available across all levels of accommodation.TAT maybe saying tourist numbers are up but all the business people I talk to have tightened their belts and are getting deeper in debit.

Don't think the ban has anything to do with drop in tourist numbers. Went on line yesterday to book a room in Pattaya for a friend, have never seen so many deals available across all levels of accommodation.TAT maybe saying tourist numbers are up but all the business people I talk to have tightened their belts and are getting deeper in debit.

I'm no expert in this area, but when we were there the ratio of climbers to plain backpackers was at a minimum 40 or 50 to one. We saw some climbers. Going back and forth with their gear. But hundreds more weren't climbing.

Tourism is way down here, no matter what TAT says. Not including the bus loads of Chinese who'd never visit a place like this anyway.

I get it, it's a preserve, but then again, why are there bungalowsand hotels to begin with? Why are hundreds of boats going in and out every day? What about the pollution that comes with it?

Either go all the way or not at all is my opinion!

I read various apparently speculative reasons for the ban.

Can anyone state the original reason for the 4 month ban?

I quoted the officials response above. It has nothing to do with damaging the environment. Best if you read the entire article.

You arm chair judges should get a life.. crazy.gif .. One says, It should be banned, it is dangerous...Because you do not climb, why should others not climb because you do not have the guts to climb. passifier.gif

Driving cars, motorbikes, are the killers in Thailand and you do not want them banned do you? Because you use them everyday

Have a nice day...I'm climbing up the local mountain with my friends today...drunk.gifdrunk.gif

Who wants this lot of handsome young men with six packs and fit young woman on your beach! Disgusting, we want fat tourists, drinking beer, eating ice cream, cuddling their trophy bar girl. God, and where is the long inflatable banana boat with the fat Chinese family on?

Just look at this, is this what you want... ?

Every climber in the world knows they climb "at their own risk". Managing risk is an important element of maturing in the sport.

There has always been conflict between trad and sport climbers but from what I saw at Railey the routes benefit from cleaning and maintenance to stay safe.

Park officials need to develop fair mixed use policies but outdoor enthusiasts are the best promotors of the environment and the beaches are cleaner because of them.

If the NP officials want pristine wilderness they should ban everything but self-sufficient camping and drive out ALL the businesses.

I'm a climber, and I bolt routes as well.

The climbing protection and ethics in Krabi and outlying areas are second to none.

The bolts are the finest titanium hardware, glued into hard limestone. You can't get safer than that.

I really don't know what's at the heart of this climbing ban, but it has nothing at all to do with poor safety, damage to the rock or to the local environment. Apart from making a couple of footpaths for access the impact of climbing is negligible.

Cynically, one would have to suspect that money is involved somewhere but it does seem very stupid and poorly thought out, to virtually stop climbing tourism at a stroke.

I hope talks will start soon with the authorities. They need to reassure the climbers of the world that it is safe travel to this area without fearing crag closures.

Grrr! 1zgarz5.gif

I'm a climber, and I bolt routes as well.

The climbing protection and ethics in Krabi and outlying areas are second to none.

The bolts are the finest titanium hardware, glued into hard limestone. You can't get safer than that.

I really don't know what's at the heart of this climbing ban, but it has nothing at all to do with poor safety, damage to the rock or to the local environment. Apart from making a couple of footpaths for access the impact of climbing is negligible.

Cynically, one would have to suspect that money is involved somewhere but it does seem very stupid and poorly thought out, to virtually stop climbing tourism at a stroke.

I hope talks will start soon with the authorities. They need to reassure the climbers of the world that it is safe travel to this area without fearing crag closures.

Grrr! 1zgarz5.gif

If paying the officials of does not work, money us obviously not the reason.

Archived