Major forest fire Doi Suthep, Chiang Mai

narkeddiver

Just seen a post on my wife's Facebook showing a big fire on Doi Suthep - anyone else seen this?

Hopefully nobody has been hurt

By the looks of things though there'll be a load more <deleted> in the air tomorrow:(

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The fire is raging and moving down the mountain fast. The army is behind the Convention Center now with water trucks spraying the wat there as the fire is now dangerously close. Just got back from there (10:30pm). No idea how they are going to stop this one, it's moving fast across dry bush with no rain in sight. Water trucks will only do so much.

The farmers who do this ever year should hunted, arrested, and forced to learn new ways of clearing. Unacceptable behavior.

I was under the impression they burn the forest to promote the growth of fungi during the rain season along with the young wet new growth that comes up from the ash - could be different here depending on type I guess.

From the look of the pictures a few Canadians might feel right at home.

The farmers who do this ever year should hunted, arrested, and forced to learn new ways of clearing. Unacceptable behavior.

Looks like it may not be farmers but hunters. They said they had the fire under control within 1 hour and was reported at 10:30AM. Guess not.

Fire At Doi Suthep – Pui National Park

March 8, 2016

CityNews – A large blaze broke out in the Doi Suthep – Pui National Park this morning after wild food hunters lost control of a small fire.

According to Chiang Mai Deputy Governor Mongkol Suksai, the fire spread after the wild food hunters lost control of a fire they lit to help catch wild animals to sell at the market.

Read more here - Chiang Mai City Life

post-566-0-30516100-1462722702_thumb.jpg

If you have ever been to CM, you know Doi Suthep. I tried to read the article in Thai and, well, we know how that went. fire, spread, observe, control, observe, ground, area, can.....i need to learn more words. 55555

I might as well ask a dumb question....OK, you are at the ZOO......seems like this fire is NOT near the main road that goes to Wat Doi Suthep. I can't figure out if it's north or south. One picture made me think south, the next north....i'll guess north, and likely be wrong.

thanks for any information

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1462722923

08 May 2016, Last update at 22:55:00 GMT

Huge Forest Fire in Chiang Mai

CHIANG MAI — A large fire broke out Sunday afternoon on Doi Suthep mountain in Chiang Mai province and has been spreading since about 2pm.

As of 10pm on Sunday the fire was still expanding.

About 10 rai (1.6 hectares) of land have been affected and 100 firefighters have been mobilized to tackle the blaze. The forest fire is visible from downtown Chiang Mai city as of 10pm Sunday.

1:25am

Students by the 100 in cars and bikes are delivering packaged food and water to the park ranger building at the entrance of the mountain (just past the tourist police). It was quite a positive sight to see. Smoke is thick in that area. I feel sorry for the guys fighting this thing.

Archived