Major forest fire Doi Suthep, Chiang Mai

narkeddiver

I think it is going to take the loss of a major wat like Doi Suthep before anything constructive is do to stop the annual burning.

David

100 bucks says they could burn down every wat on and near the mountain and they still wouldn't have the follow through to make it stop. Enforcement here is pitiful at best.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it is going to take the loss of a major wat like Doi Suthep before anything constructive is do to stop the annual burning.

David

100 bucks says they could burn down every wat on and near the mountain and they still wouldn't have the follow through to make it stop. Enforcement here is pitiful at best.

Unfortunately you may well be right. sad.png

David

If you have ever been to CM, you know Doi Suthep. I tried to read the article in Thai and, well, we know how that went. fire, spread, observe, control, observe, ground, area, can.....i need to learn more words. 55555

I might as well ask a dumb question....OK, you are at the ZOO......seems like this fire is NOT near the main road that goes to Wat Doi Suthep. I can't figure out if it's north or south. One picture made me think south, the next north....i'll guess north, and likely be wrong.

thanks for any information

It's North, behind the Convention Centre on the Mae Rim side.

3:30am

Looks like the fire fighters did an outstanding job and brought this blaze under control.

That said, I've never seen the area so smokey.

Hopefully, the idiots who started this fire won't start another tomorrow in another area, but I won't hold my breath.

Huge Forest Fire in Chiang Mai
By Pravit Rojanaphruk
Senior Staff Writer

14627229231462723299l.jpg
A forest fire rages Sunday evening on Doi Suthep mountain, Chiang Mai Province. Photo: Matichon

CHIANG MAI — A large fire broke out Sunday afternoon on Doi Suthep mountain in Chiang Mai province and has been spreading since about 2pm.

As of 10pm on Sunday the fire was still expanding.

About 10 rai (1.6 hectares) of land have been affected and 100 firefighters have been mobilized to tackle the blaze. The forest fire is visible from downtown Chiang Mai city as of 10pm Sunday.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1462722923

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2016-05-09

I was under the impression they burn the forest to promote the growth of fungi during the rain season along with the young wet new growth that comes up from the ash - could be different here depending on type I guess.

From the look of the pictures a few Canadians might feel right at home.

That is such a gross, stupid and insensitive statement!

Huge Forest Fire in Chiang Mai

By Pravit Rojanaphruk

Senior Staff Writer

14627229231462723299l.jpg

A forest fire rages Sunday evening on Doi Suthep mountain, Chiang Mai Province. Photo: Matichon

CHIANG MAI — A large fire broke out Sunday afternoon on Doi Suthep mountain in Chiang Mai province and has been spreading since about 2pm.

As of 10pm on Sunday the fire was still expanding.

About 10 rai (1.6 hectares) of land have been affected and 100 firefighters have been mobilized to tackle the blaze. The forest fire is visible from downtown Chiang Mai city as of 10pm Sunday.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1462722923

kse.png

If anything is going to be done about this kind of thing first admitting the full extent of the problem would be helpful

"about 10 rai of land (1.6 hectares) has been affected" - that's less then 4 acres to us American folk

<deleted>!!!!!!

That is bigger than 10 acres. Much bigger. How many people involved in putting it out. Last night on the news I heard 50 which is a tiny number of people. No aerial water dump while it was small ?

Wildfire at Doi Suthep national park in Chiang Mai

0905001-wpcf_720x413.jpg

CHIANG MAI: -- A huge wildfire broke out late yesterday evening at Khuncharngkien in the Doi Suthep-Pui national park in Chiang Mai, forcing several hundreds of park, forestry officials and volunteers to immediately create buffer areas to prevent the fire from spreading into the famous Doi Suthep temple ground and the Phuphing royal winter palace.

It was not immediately known how the fire started but the deputy governor of Chiang Mai Mr Mongkol Suksai said last night that fire fighters could hardly get into the fire scene because of the high terrain of the area.

The fire which started at 3.30 pm yesterday has destroyed over 70 rai of forest area and was threatening the Doi Suthep temple and the royal palace.

They have created buffer areas to prevent the wildfire from spreading into other significant places at the national park, and the Northern Royal Rain-Making Centre was sought to help in fighting the fire.

By midnight last night, Chiang Mai governor Mr Pawin Chamniprasart said the wildfire could be temporarily controlled in limited areas after fire fighters could create buffer lines to prevent it from spreading downhill.

The situation has eased and kept under control, he said.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/162479

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-05-09

I was under the impression they burn the forest to promote the growth of fungi during the rain season along with the young wet new growth that comes up from the ash - could be different here depending on type I guess.

Thats what I have repeatedly been told also.. The burning both clears bush and the ash helps fertilize the soil to promote free mushroom gathering.. In other words we all put up with this, so a few people can make a few 100b on some gathered mushrooms !!

That is bigger than 10 acres. Much bigger. How many people involved in putting it out. Last night on the news I heard 50 which is a tiny number of people. No aerial water dump while it was small ?

the initial size was quoting a news source from yesterday am.. So may have been correct at the time.

David

I think you mean Wat Phra That. Doi Suthep is the name of the mountain it is on.

Very sad......... I've had the honor of being able to go to Wat Phra That three times.... beautiful....

They say if you go to Chiang Mai, and don't go to Wat Phra That Doi Suthep, then you've never really been to Chiang Mai.

My prayers and best wishes to the people there..... I hope this fire is defeated before it does harm to Wat Phra That or other temples or Chiang Mai or anybody there..

It's heart breaking to see forest fires damage property.

However the forests were there first and when you live near the forest you have to accept the risks. Many people are negligent in clearing brush around their home to establish a fire break. Some even have flamable roofs installed. Some are even uninsured.

In many cases it's mother nature doing her very important work. Many times ignition starts from lightning.

The forest will die off along with the wild animals if wood ash is not put into the soil. The soil requires the 90 essential minerals and trace elements for the trees, berries and grass to be healthy. The fire also burns off dead brush and weeds. When the animals eat the forest food they get the essential minerals and trace elements from the ash put back in the soil from the burned trees required to maintain a strong immune system so their bodies can heal themselves.

If you don't believe it go to the forests in AZ and CO and many of the trees are dead from the trees being unhealthy in the areas where there were no fires for 50 years. The trees got weak from lack of minerals and the bark beetles entered the cracks in the protective bark and over time they killed the trees. The only remedy for those forests is fire.

For this reason the officials in Yellowstone Park let the last big wild fire burn much of the park to keep it all healthy.

Humans that consume the wild animals after a forest fire are also consuming organic, healthy meat containing the vital essential minerals and trace elements.

There is always a silver lining in every forest fire. Unfortunately most never see the positives as most news is negative.

We humans think we are so important.

We're not. When the forests and the wild animals become extinct, so will we.

It's heart breaking to see forest fires damage property.

However the forests were there first and when you live near the forest you have to accept the risks. Many people are negligent in clearing brush around their home to establish a fire break. Some even have flamable roofs installed. Some are even uninsured.

In many cases it's mother nature doing her very important work. Many times ignition starts from lightning.

The forest will die off along with the wild animals if wood ash is not put into the soil. The soil requires the 90 essential minerals and trace elements for the trees, berries and grass to be healthy. The fire also burns off dead brush and weeds. When the animals eat the forest food they get the essential minerals and trace elements from the ash put back in the soil from the burned trees required to maintain a strong immune system so their bodies can heal themselves.

If you don't believe it go to the forests in AZ and CO and many of the trees are dead from the trees being unhealthy in the areas where there were no fires for 50 years. The trees got weak from lack of minerals and the bark beetles entered the cracks in the protective bark and over time they killed the trees. The only remedy for those forests is fire.

For this reason the officials in Yellowstone Park let the last big wild fire burn much of the park to keep it all healthy.

Humans that consume the wild animals after a forest fire are also consuming organic, healthy meat containing the vital essential minerals and trace elements.

There is always a silver lining in every forest fire. Unfortunately most never see the positives as most news is negative.

We humans think we are so important.

We're not. When the forests and the wild animals become extinct, so will we.

Yes. Forest fires happen, and many types of trees and plants even require a fire now and then.... like the Jack Pine.....

But people need to create a fire break space between their buildings and the forest..

Same thing happened in Fort McMurray Canada, If you look at Fort McMurray on Google Earth.. you see they had homes anywhere from 100 feet - within 25 feet of the forest.. Just a few steps out your back door.... forest..

Asking for trouble someday..

In Australia, during one bad fire.... the only family who had their home survive was a family that cut back the forest and brush 200 yards from their home.

They were fined $50,000.00 for cutting back the forest and removing dry brush... Plus had to pay another $50,000.00 in legal and court costs. (Stupid environmental laws)

http://www.smh.com.au/national/fined-for-illegal-clearing-family-now-feel-vindicated-20090212-85bd.html

But at least their home survived.... while their neighbours homes burned to the ground.

David

I think you mean Wat Phra That. Doi Suthep is the name of the mountain it is on.

Very sad......... I've had the honor of being able to go to Wat Phra That three times.... beautiful....

They say if you go to Chiang Mai, and don't go to Wat Phra That Doi Suthep, then you've never really been to Chiang Mai.

My prayers and best wishes to the people there..... I hope this fire is defeated before it does harm to Wat Phra That or other temples or Chiang Mai or anybody there..

Is that the wat with the large staircase and the chairlift?

Is it still going?

no, it was put out some time after midnight last night. whole area is terribly smoky this morning though. rumour is that it was started by some people trying to use the fire to trap wild animals to sell in the market but it got out of control.

Forest Fire in Doi Suthep – Pui National Park
by CityNews

fire1.jpg
Photo by Jk Onemillion, shared on Raks Mae Ping Facebook Page.

CityNews – Over 100 firefighters and numerous other officials and emergency service crews spent all of Sunday evening (May 8th) and Monday morning fighting a massive fire that spread through the Doi Suthep – Pui National Park jungles, shocking residents of Chiang Mai who could see the flames and smoke from across the city.

The fire began around 2pm on May 8th before expanding and becoming out of control by 5pm when the first fire crews were called to the scene and the first news reports came in.

By 10pm the same evening, the fire had grown to cover well over 10 rai of land and was showing no signs of stopping.

The fire was very hard to control and extinguish as it was deep in the jungle where fire engines and water hoses could not be taken. As a result, fire crews had to enter the jungle on foot and use dirt to try and extinguish the fire while they waited for the fire to slowly burn towards accessible areas where they could then use water to extinguish the flames.

Full story: http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/news/100-firefighters-fight-huge-fire-doi-suthep-sunday-night/

cn.png
-- Chiang City News 2016-05-09

David

Yes, I know the full name of the wat, however, I've been in Chiang Mai for 5 years and and coming to Chiang Mai for 10 years before that and have yet to hear anyone (other than you) refer to it by that name.

David

Massive Chiang Mai Fire Likely Caused by Humans
By Chayanit Itthipongmaetee
Staff Reporter

14627701351462770159l.jpg
A forest fire on Sunday night at Doi Suthep-Pui National Park

CHIANG MAI — Officials and volunteers spent nearly 12 hours extinguishing a giant forest fire they believe was sparked by a forager Sunday afternoon in a national park overlooking Chiang Mai city.

Although alarming photos taken Sunday evening of the blaze led to panic on social media, officials said Monday that no deaths or injuries were reported, and no evacuations were necessary because the fire never approached residences or historic sites, as feared by many netizens.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1462770135

kse.png

PM acts against forest fires

BANGKOK, 9 May 2016 (NNT) –The Prime Minister has ordered helicopters be dispatched to assist in fighting a forest fire on Doi Suthep of Chiang Mai province while calling for the public to be more aware of fire hazards.

Prime Minister Gen Prayuth Chan-ocha has asked that the military take part in battling forest fires taking place in several areas of the country and authorized the use of helicopters in the effort.

On the fire in Doi Suthep, the prime minister revealed it was caused by homeless people setting fires to stay warm during the night. He said the public must become more aware of the causes of forest fires and desist from practices that can lead to blazes. He acknowledged that low income earners continue to be unaware of their contribution to forest fires and ultimately the haze problem in the northern region.

The premier has ordered serious action against forest fires both in the north and the south.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-05-09 footer_n.gif

Archived