Major forest fire Doi Suthep, Chiang Mai

narkeddiver

"the prime minister revealed it was caused by homeless people setting fires to stay warm during the night"

Where did he pull this one out of? Hottest season in 65 years with night time temperatures reaching no lower than 26-27 degrees. Also homeless staying on the side of the mountain in the forest? Not buying that one.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"the prime minister revealed it was caused by homeless people setting fires to stay warm during the night"

Where did he pull this one out of? Hottest season in 65 years with night time temperatures reaching no lower than 26-27 degrees. Also homeless staying on the side of the mountain in the forest? Not buying that one.

How do they know? Have they caught anyone? I buy the "catching wild animals" or "getting the forest ready for mushrooms" story before I buy the story about trying to stay warm at night. I suspect they're all just conjecture anyway.

Besides, wasn't the fire started in the early afternoon?

More likely it was deliberately started on a Sunday afternoon during a long holiday weekend by someone who knew there would be no government officials around to stop them. See -- my conjecture makes more sense than the PM's.

Some absolutely spectacular photos. Hopefully they get things under control. Whether it is

farmers of mushroom pickers. Time for them to be sent to jail. coffee1.gif

What we see burning here is not only my favourite playground in Chiang Mai, but also "protected" national park. I have been hiking and mountain biking in these woods for years. This was once a rich habitat where -on occasion- one could see rare plants like Sapria himalayana and rare animals. Unfortunately, I have witnessed the systematic destruction of this area by the annual burning and encroachment over the last two decades. By ecological standards, the Doi Suthep national park today is just a shadow of its former self.

The fire yesterday was especially bad. Probably catastrophic, at least from the viewpoint of species with small populations that exist in small local niches. Such species, for example lizards, amphibians, ground-covering plants have zero chance of survival if their area is burned. And as species disappear, the bio-diversity of the forest is reduced further. This happens year by year.

Most of the fires are laid intentionally. I have spent enough time in the forest, to meet the illegal hunters and gatherers who lay them. Yes, they are hard to catch. But it's certainly possible. If rangers would spend as much time patrolling the forest as we do spend mountain biking there, these activities could be monitored and probably prevented. Sure, 250 sqkm is a big area. But it only takes a small motorised squad to patrol it. I was thinking E-bikes.

Unfortunately, there is no budget for that. The local government deems it more important to deploy small motorised squads to protect Songkran revellers from having to endure the sight of shirtless people.

Too much Thai culture for me, unfortunately. Hundreds of thousands of small animals probably died in the fire yesterday. Isn't that violating a certain Buddhist precept in a very massive way? Perhaps the Buddhist population of Chiang Mai finds such contradictions tolerable. I don't. I am also getting quite tired of having to escape the annual smoke orgy for long periods that seemingly get longer. Again, too much "mai pen rai" for me.

So goodbye Chiang Mai. Goodbye Thailand. It's been a wonderful two decades.

Cheers, CM-Expat

Chiang Mai wildfire under control, but officials still remain vigilant on possible ignition

0905007-wpcf_728x409.jpg

CHIANG MAI: -- The wildfire that raged for seven hours at Doi Sutehp-Pui national park in Chiang Mai last night was now kept under control, but fire fighters and volunteers remained vigilant for fear that it could reoccur.

Although the wildfire had died down since midnight but the smokes from the fire remained to blanket communities lying close to the park.

Residents have to wear face masks as the smokes remained all over this morning.

The Pollution Control Department reported the air quality index in tambon Chang Phuak of Muang district this morning was measured at 110 microgrammes per cubic metre. The standard safety level is 120 microgrammes per cubic metre.

Initial cause of the fire was believed to start by poachers.

Villagers went into the jungle looking for wild food, authorities said.

Chiang Mai governor Pawin Chamniptasart said the fire did not happen at Doi Suthep but at Khuncharngkien forest which is under the supervision of the Charngpuek Tambon Administration.

He said the wildfire started on the top of the hill and spread downhill to lowland, forcing authorities to create buffer zones to stop it from spreading, and pushing the fire backward.

However hundreds of park officials and volunteers remained vigilant to patrol the area to prevent the fire from ignition due to large quantity of dried fuels remaining in the forest and summer heat.

The wildfire has destroyed about 300 rai of forest land after almost 10 hours of raging.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/162529

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-05-09

The farmers who do this ever year should hunted, arrested, and forced to learn new ways of clearing. Unacceptable behavior.

Looks like it may not be farmers but hunters. They said they had the fire under control within 1 hour and was reported at 10:30AM. Guess not.

Fire At Doi Suthep – Pui National Park

March 8, 2016

CityNews – A large blaze broke out in the Doi Suthep – Pui National Park this morning after wild food hunters lost control of a small fire.

According to Chiang Mai Deputy Governor Mongkol Suksai, the fire spread after the wild food hunters lost control of a fire they lit to help catch wild animals to sell at the market.

Read more here - Chiang Mai City Life

attachicon.gifFire-in-Doi-Suthep.jpg

Absolute intelligence displayed here. Light a fire in a drought in 41 degrees. I know about foires - Australia and I lived through the nations worst. this is terrible. Lack of education on display. And guess what? Nothing will change - ever!

Currently,(16:00) there's a strengthening breeze which will, in all likelihood, cause remaining hotspots to flare up again. Unfortunately this fire isn't likely to be 100% extinguished for quite some time: heavy and prolonged rain would be even more welcome now.

Making a fire break is all good and well but it better be a big one. The fire in Canada jumped a mile wide river! If you have ever seen evergreen and pine trees burn they go to full flames almost instantly. It like through gasoline on them.

I was under the impression they burn the forest to promote the growth of fungi during the rain season along with the young wet new growth that comes up from the ash - could be different here depending on type I guess.

From the look of the pictures a few Canadians might feel right at home.

That is such a gross, stupid and insensitive statement!

Let me give you some perspective on bush-fires Vs. wildfires;

This CM fire is a Deciduous burn that is an inevitable rejuvenation of the forest floor, its not hot enough to burn anything that isn't ready to be burned. Generates a lot of smoke as it creeps along but is very easy to gain control of and can be stopped with very narrow (2m) fire breaks.

With the heatwave the conditions have been more than ripe,expect more blazes before the rain comes.

Canada has a designated 'fire-season' with around 1,400 annual wildfires in Alberta alone. The wildfire currently burning in Canada is in the Province of Alberta the size of both Thailand and Laos put together (there are 10 provinces).

The wildfire raging now in Fort Mac. has recently doubled in size to approx. 2,000sq. kms...... the size of ChiangMai Province is 2,900sq.kms.

This event is considered a rare phenomena of wildfire created by a perfect storm. Starting with a dry winter,quick spring melt,unseasonal high-temps coming on before the deciduous trees had sprouted leaves to cool the forest floor.The forest itself is a vast swath of mature-aging conifers(spruce,pine,fir et..)that pile-up the "fuel" on the forest floor, add wind and spark..whola!..."The Beast"....moving at incredible speeds and burning so hot that trees are literally exploding from the gas mixture created,at this point only Mother Nature,who created it, will be able to put it out with rain.

Fire-breaks and "back-burning" is ineffective in the face of such magnitude - this fire jumped the 1km wide river skirting the town and is capable of a phenomena of 'flame-throwing' (the bending of the convection column forward) up to 2kms,not to mention a rain like storm of burning ambers. The sound of these fires are terrifying,something between a freight train and a jet plane.

Officials are saying that this 'Boreal-Beast' may continue to burn for months while the 80,000 people who were evacuated will have to find another living arrangement.With1600 homes/structures burned many will have to come to terms with the reality of losing 'everything'.

So dude, wildfires are not a natural phenomena that you can watch from your condo balcony (too bad I can't post a picture-been disabled?) and I hope you never have to run from one either.

Please think before you make comments - Wildfires,whether experienced first hand or not, are NOT something to joke about when 10's of thousands of people have been affected.

Over & Out

What we see burning here is not only my favourite playground in Chiang Mai, but also "protected" national park. I have been hiking and mountain biking in these woods for years. This was once a rich habitat where -on occasion- one could see rare plants like Sapria himalayana and rare animals. Unfortunately, I have witnessed the systematic destruction of this area by the annual burning and encroachment over the last two decades. By ecological standards, the Doi Suthep national park today is just a shadow of its former self.

The fire yesterday was especially bad. Probably catastrophic, at least from the viewpoint of species with small populations that exist in small local niches. Such species, for example lizards, amphibians, ground-covering plants have zero chance of survival if their area is burned. And as species disappear, the bio-diversity of the forest is reduced further. This happens year by year.

Most of the fires are laid intentionally. I have spent enough time in the forest, to meet the illegal hunters and gatherers who lay them. Yes, they are hard to catch. But it's certainly possible. If rangers would spend as much time patrolling the forest as we do spend mountain biking there, these activities could be monitored and probably prevented. Sure, 250 sqkm is a big area. But it only takes a small motorised squad to patrol it. I was thinking E-bikes.

Unfortunately, there is no budget for that. The local government deems it more important to deploy small motorised squads to protect Songkran revellers from having to endure the sight of shirtless people.

Too much Thai culture for me, unfortunately. Hundreds of thousands of small animals probably died in the fire yesterday. Isn't that violating a certain Buddhist precept in a very massive way? Perhaps the Buddhist population of Chiang Mai finds such contradictions tolerable. I don't. I am also getting quite tired of having to escape the annual smoke orgy for long periods that seemingly get longer. Again, too much "mai pen rai" for me.

Cheers, CM-Expat

Very sad to hear about your decision but fully understand the reasons for reaching it. The serious issue of burning in Chiang Mai is recognized by the authorities but the continual threats to punish the offenders who cause the fires never appear to be followed through. Until determined action is taken, the pollution arising from the burning will continue, as will the far-reaching consequences to the health of those subjected to it.

Making a fire break is all good and well but it better be a big one. The fire in Canada jumped a mile wide river! If you have ever seen evergreen and pine trees burn they go to full flames almost instantly. It like through gasoline on them.

I remember the 1991 Oakland fire. No pine trees but uecaliptus trees, they are bombs.

It was mentioned on television that some locals set the grass alight while looking for mushrooms. Really can`t see how they`re going to put that out, especially as it`s so dry with no rain in sight.

Thais setting fires to the mountain forests to stimulate mushroom growth is a primary cause of all the smoke during the burn season. This is arson on a massive scale, the folks in Chiang Mai just get to see it up close and personal now. Now it's right in the government's face. Wonder if they do anything? Probably not. Just add to the hot air.

PM acts against forest fires

BANGKOK, 9 May 2016 (NNT) –The Prime Minister has ordered helicopters be dispatched to assist in fighting a forest fire on Doi Suthep of Chiang Mai province while calling for the public to be more aware of fire hazards.

Prime Minister Gen Prayuth Chan-ocha has asked that the military take part in battling forest fires taking place in several areas of the country and authorized the use of helicopters in the effort.

On the fire in Doi Suthep, the prime minister revealed it was caused by homeless people setting fires to stay warm during the night. He said the public must become more aware of the causes of forest fires and desist from practices that can lead to blazes. He acknowledged that low income earners continue to be unaware of their contribution to forest fires and ultimately the haze problem in the northern region.

The premier has ordered serious action against forest fires both in the north and the south.

[nnt]2016-05-09[/

On the fire in Doi Suthep, the prime minister revealed it was caused by homeless people setting fires to stay warm during the night.

No doubt homeless Burmese migrants no less. dry.png

Whoever is gathering intelligence and writing the PM's Press Releases is doing him no service. It's not cold, even at night in the mountains this time of year (Hot Season). It's common knowledge in my neck of the woods rural Thailand that the fires are deliberately set throughout Northern Thailand this time of year by locals to stimulate mushroom and other forest 'vegetables' that are gather and sold during the rainy season. Or perhaps I'm wrong and all the smoke and haze this time of year is caused by hundreds of forest fires set by homeless people trying to stay warm on cold nights during the Hot Season. I'm sure that must be it.

I can not see the problem ever being solved if those who are in the position to stop the burning can't identify the problem accurately. 402.gif

I expect finger pointing and pronouncements, and then back to business as usual.

beatdeadhorse.gif

This post unfortunately reflects much of what is happening nation-wide, blatant disregard for the environment, and for a Thai cultural heritage that was once precious and deeply respected. The relentless pace of development in Chiang Mai, coupled with deforestation, air and noise pollution, obvious climate change, and the 'Annual Burning Season' is making it slowly unlivable.

It is extraordinary that the government wishes to continue promoting it as a 'retirement haven' and a 'health hub'

I too, have lived here more than two decades, and for the first time I find myself contemplating a move somewhere else. I think quite a few oldies share my view, and my fears.

I only see a steady downward trend in terms of quality of life and aesthetics. Meanwhile, they will keep building, building, developing, developing, propelled by materialism and greed. It will not stop, and the many good reasons for coming to live here which were valid 20 years ago are now very few.

Heaven knows what Chiang Mai will look like in ten or twenty years, or what serious health problems will slowly appear among the population. Not much reason for optimism, except perhaps for more and more growth in Chinese arrivals, and new generation backpackers.

A great pity.

Cheers, CM-Expat

It was mentioned on television that some locals set the grass alight while looking for mushrooms. Really can`t see how they`re going to put that out, especially as it`s so dry with no rain in sight.

Thais setting fires to the mountain forests to stimulate mushroom growth is a primary cause of all the smoke during the burn season. This is arson on a massive scale, the folks in Chiang Mai just get to see it up close and personal now. Now it's right in the government's face. Wonder if they do anything? Probably not. Just add to the hot air.

Stimulate mushroom growth? That's a myth: it actually has the opposite effect. Indeed burning the forest floor over the years has destroyed hundreds of different species (not just mushrooms!) that have been unable to fight back. In other countries burning also creates flooding when the rains come because the leaves and other mulch on the floor retains water so that it doesn't rush down the hill in one go! It's not just the Kwais in the mountains that burn. Some of the most serious burning (in terms of releasing dangerous toxins) comes from the local governments (tambons) who burn the kilometre after kilometre of verges and with it mountains of trash discarded by the Thais. This means plastics and other man-made rubbish is burnt at temperatures which release toxins rather than destroy them. What's more, the 700 stadium takes great pleasure in burning rubbish in their ridiculous kiln at the back of the 700 stadium near the velodrome. They have been told countless times but they do not listen. Burning plastics with wood as the fuel release toxins that drift across the sports stadium and into the local school. So it's a problem that goes beyond just the guys in the mountains (which on this occasion went a bit wild) : local government and sports authority officers are doing this deliberately knowing full well that they are causing dangerous pollutants to cloud over our City. The environmental guys at CMU are well aware of this but the whole message must be hammered away all the time. Not just the forest fires : but the burning of rubbish too. We need this message spread everywhere.

This post unfortunately reflects much of what is happening nation-wide, blatant disregard for the environment, and for a Thai cultural heritage that was once precious and deeply respected. The relentless pace of development in Chiang Mai, coupled with deforestation, air and noise pollution, obvious climate change, and the 'Annual Burning Season' is making it slowly unlivable.

It is extraordinary that the government wishes to continue promoting it as a 'retirement haven' and a 'health hub'

I too, have lived here more than two decades, and for the first time I find myself contemplating a move somewhere else. I think quite a few oldies share my view, and my fears.

I only see a steady downward trend in terms of quality of life and aesthetics. Meanwhile, they will keep building, building, developing, developing, propelled by materialism and greed. It will not stop, and the many good reasons for coming to live here which were valid 20 years ago are now very few.

Heaven knows what Chiang Mai will look like in ten or twenty years, or what serious health problems will slowly appear among the population. Not much reason for optimism, except perhaps for more and more growth in Chinese arrivals, and new generation backpackers.

A great pity.

Cheers, CM-Expat

Sadly, I just didn't think that clicking the "Like" button to express my agreement with both of these posts was a good way to express agreement with the sentiments expressed. While I don't "Like" what they said, I agree with it.

Good,where were these helicopters operating? I was in a tall building overlooking the airport for much of the late afternoon and saw two helicopters going north from the airport with water buckets one time and then no more activity. I hope they were pulling water from the reservoir north and out of my line-of-sight because otherwise one water run by two helicopter isn't going to do much to put out the hot spots. I must admit I figured it was a just a photo op when I didn't see them making another water run.

Yes, thats pathetic, sorry.

I read a few posts from folks who've stayed here for some time, saying basically, enough is enough--sadly, I completely agree; we are leaving in a few weeks, after about 17 years, so I sympathize and agree. I hope that the future administrations can get to grips with all the current problems, I'm not betting on it, though.

Good,where were these helicopters operating? I was in a tall building overlooking the airport for much of the late afternoon and saw two helicopters going north from the airport with water buckets one time and then no more activity. I hope they were pulling water from the reservoir north and out of my line-of-sight because otherwise one water run by two helicopter isn't going to do much to put out the hot spots. I must admit I figured it was a just a photo op when I didn't see them making another water run.

They were picking up from Huay Tung Tao and then heading north (I think) - maybe there's another fire up there.

One of them did a few trips, but the other seemed to be grounded quite a bit and only managed a couple or so.

Chiang Mai wildfire under control, but officials still remain vigilant on possible ignition

0905007-wpcf_728x409.jpg

CHIANG MAI: -- The wildfire that raged for seven hours at Doi Sutehp-Pui national park in Chiang Mai last night was now kept under control, but fire fighters and volunteers remained vigilant for fear that it could reoccur.

Although the wildfire had died down since midnight but the smokes from the fire remained to blanket communities lying close to the park.

Residents have to wear face masks as the smokes remained all over this morning.

The Pollution Control Department reported the air quality index in tambon Chang Phuak of Muang district this morning was measured at 110 microgrammes per cubic metre. The standard safety level is 120 microgrammes per cubic metre.

Initial cause of the fire was believed to start by poachers.

Villagers went into the jungle looking for wild food, authorities said.

Chiang Mai governor Pawin Chamniptasart said the fire did not happen at Doi Suthep but at Khuncharngkien forest which is under the supervision of the Charngpuek Tambon Administration.

He said the wildfire started on the top of the hill and spread downhill to lowland, forcing authorities to create buffer zones to stop it from spreading, and pushing the fire backward.

However hundreds of park officials and volunteers remained vigilant to patrol the area to prevent the fire from ignition due to large quantity of dried fuels remaining in the forest and summer heat.

The wildfire has destroyed about 300 rai of forest land after almost 10 hours of raging.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/162529

thaipbs_logo.jpg

-- Thai PBS 2016-05-09

There are three main causes of fire (lightning excepted). MEN, WOMEN, CHILDREN.

The photos show them at Huay Tung Tao which is only 3-4 kms away from the fire and the largest, safest reservoir for this operation. Those are bambi buckets which are precise/accurate and quick loading fire fighting devices.

post-566-0-98106700-1462805421_thumb.jpg

For wide spread fires a Sikorsky would be handy but expensive and slower to load. I recommended this one a few years ago on the forum but the government must not have read my post yet. biggrin.png

post-566-0-64858800-1462805573_thumb.jpg

I take little pleasure from our decision to leave CM some years ago because of the urban and rural vandalism. The damage to the ecosystem of Doi Sutep will be huge.. Sadly stupid people and idle officials will, I fear, allow it to happen again

Archived