Varee - International school

sly4all

1 hour ago, Greenside said:

The depressing truth is that if you want to give your children a decent start in life with an affordable education that will give them a fighting chance to achieve their full potential, you'd better be thinking about moving to a different country

Seconded......unless you have lots of dosh and can afford to enter your kids into one of the big name schools which have all the trimmings.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, Robert Schueller said:

Puwa , really? The most important thing is not your child's Safety or well being? You sound like the rest of the Geniuses on here. Yeah I'm sure the quality of teacher and their pay scale exceeds priority beyond the Child's Safety .. Nice job people. 

I beg your pardon, Mr. Schueller, but I believe your comment is aimed at another poster. I forgive the mistake, and caution that you would be poorly advised to pick a misguided argument with me on this or any other topic. Perhaps if you limited your verbose, incontinent torrent of opinion you could keep things straight. The irony, if you need it explained, is that in delivering your endless rants about structure and manners in education you show yourself to be disorganized, loquacious, and rude.

Whatever you do, don't homeschool.

21 hours ago, Robert Schueller said:

Greenside , I'm sure there is a lot of Circus Scouts who'd love to have you on board mate. The only knack you seem to have anything for is stupidity. Oops ..... You probably work at Varee or something. 

The way everyone is supposed to listen to your opinions and as soon as someone questions it, you quote stupidity and dismiss them as supporters of the school. Your right, everyone else is wrong based on your 4 or 5 visits of approaching people in communal areas. 

Greenside made a sensible post giving his opinion based on being a parent for 10 years there. I actually think there is more chance of you being a disgruntled teacher rather than others such as Greenside. Just my opinion, of course, I am expecting you to call me stupid as I disagree with you. 

'Robert''s true colors are coming through.

My money is on him being a recently sacked Varee teacher who wants to get revenge on his previous employer and workmates, who I'm sure didn't like him (not surprising really). My money is also on him now being a teacher at Concord International School - gawd help 'em.

I also didn't receive the promised MOE letter from him. I know Varee is licensed by the Ministry of Education so those comments were false.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/5/2018 at 9:53 AM, XGM said:

You don't come to Thailand for reasons of education. You come for other reasons, and then your comparison education-wise should be in terms of available options here. Not in relation to what's available elsewhere.

In my opinion, all schools that follow the Thai curriculum, be them public or private schools, bilinguals etc. are to be avoided.

Now, when you assess international schools, beyond your personal feel for the school, you look at accreditation and performance.

Verifying accreditation isn't done by looking at the logos presented at their marketing material. You want to check that the school is actually listed in the site of the accreditation authority. It isn't difficult to do.

Performance can be verified by international examinations. For example, American schools hold MAP testing 3 times a year, and the results can then be compared to average results obtained by millions of kids who take this test in the USA every year.

Another point is does the school take the kid all the way to last year of high school or do they stop at grade 9 or 10. I don't see a good reason for that except not being accountable for kids' results and universities they enroll in, upon graduation.

Interesting last point, I know of a good Thai private school here that kicks out under performing students so they don't bring down the schools average scores and uni acceptance record

On 2/9/2018 at 6:45 PM, stament said:

Each to their own, we all base our opinions on personal experiences and research. So far I am happy since switching from Varee to ABS Billingual this year. The organisation from my own personal parent perspective is much better at ABS than Varee. But with schools the most important thing is the teachers and the quality of teaching not what they look like or even the organisation which whilst important isn't the most important aspect.

For now I am reasonably happy but if I wasnt happy of course I would look at alternate options.

I moved three of my kids to Varee from ABS and found somethings I prefer and other's I don't. For English, especially necessary as two of my boys are Thai, ABS seemed to be better (my third in Kinder is krung and Varee only has Thai program). Both schools lack safety which is not surprising here as well as profit seems to be put above the children's needs, education and otherwise, again not surprising. I agree the quality of the education is the most important but it's very hard for me to compare and even judge besides daily English speaking. One thing that I believe is important is how the teachers are treated and Varee seems to do a better job but this also can make them more loyal to their employer then their students. 

1 hour ago, junglechef said:

I moved three of my kids to Varee from ABS and found somethings I prefer and other's I don't. For English, especially necessary as two of my boys are Thai, ABS seemed to be better (my third in Kinder is krung and Varee only has Thai program). Both schools lack safety which is not surprising here as well as profit seems to be put above the children's needs, education and otherwise, again not surprising. I agree the quality of the education is the most important but it's very hard for me to compare and even judge besides daily English speaking. One thing that I believe is important is how the teachers are treated and Varee seems to do a better job but this also can make them more loyal to their employer then their students. 

interesting, thanks for feeding back. Re teachers in what way does Varee do a better job do you mean?

1 hour ago, stament said:

interesting, thanks for feeding back. Re teachers in what way does Varee do a better job do you mean?

They do a better job with how they treat their staff such as paying them fairly and on time from what the staff at both have told me.

Seems ABS was more concerned with placating the parents then the staff and perhaps the other way around at Varee. 

For instance I sat down with the owners at ABS, often just invited to sit in their office for a friendly chat and they were open to speak to me especially if I ever had any questions or concerns. Now what transpired from these might be another thing. 

Never have met Mrs. Varee and any attempt I've made to have a word with her I've ben blocked by the staff. When I asked for her phone number they outright refused me. Of course I could walk up and introduce myself which I've intended to do, but the opportunity hasn't presented itself unlike at ABS where they make sure to know you. 

Of course as it's been said it's the education that's paramount and the opportunities for continuing it. 

39 minutes ago, junglechef said:

They do a better job with how they treat their staff such as paying them fairly and on time from what the staff at both have told me.

Seems ABS was more concerned with placating the parents then the staff and perhaps the other way around at Varee. 

For instance I sat down with the owners at ABS, often just invited to sit in their office for a friendly chat and they were open to speak to me especially if I ever had any questions or concerns. Now what transpired from these might be another thing. 

Never have met Mrs. Varee and any attempt I've made to have a word with her I've ben blocked by the staff. When I asked for her phone number they outright refused me. Of course I could walk up and introduce myself which I've intended to do, but the opportunity hasn't presented itself unlike at ABS where they make sure to know you. 

Of course as it's been said it's the education that's paramount and the opportunities for continuing it. 

Interesting you should say that re openess as I've encountered the same. One of the things I like about ABS actually, friendliness and listening to parents.

Not sure what education is better too early to say. Teachers get paid more at Varee as per my understanding and get increases 

2 hours ago, stament said:

Interesting you should say that re openess as I've encountered the same. One of the things I like about ABS actually, friendliness and listening to parents.

Not sure what education is better too early to say. Teachers get paid more at Varee as per my understanding and get increases 

And the tuition is less 

8 hours ago, junglechef said:

Are you saying Varee only has a Thai Kinder? If so, this is incorrect. Varee has an International Kinder starting at 2 years old, and a Thai Kinder starting at 2 years old.

4 hours ago, iainiain101 said:

Are you saying Varee only has a Thai Kinder? If so, this is incorrect. Varee has an International Kinder starting at 2 years old, and a Thai Kinder starting at 2 years old.

Before they opened the international school which wasn't long ago about 2 years or less maybe, there was only Thai for nursery at Varee. We know as it was one of the reasons why we moved to ABS as English wasn't an option they didn't offer a bilingual programme unlike older years. 

22 hours ago, iainiain101 said:

Thanks for the correction as I was thinking only how my son went from ABS bilingual Kinder to Varee Thai as they didn't have an bilingual option. My apologies for the misinformation. 

Archived