Two men charged with attempted murder as Belgian slashed trying to help Thai woman

webfact

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The choice to intervene was his alone to make. He sized up the situation and deemed it necessary to get in harms way & come to her aid. The man's a hero in my book.

I pity the poor <deleted> who (without even knowing the details) choose to criticize him. Cringing cowards love to heap scorn on those who have the balls to act.

Ladies and Gentlemen, the Holy Bible has the answer to every problem that one will ever face in his/her life, and the short Book of Proverbs is loaded with God's wisdom for everyday living. If a man/woman would only take just one half day out of their lives to put that knowledge in their head, they will save themselves a lifetime of grief and strife. Example for this case:

Proverbs 26:17 says: Whoever meddles in a quarrel not his own is like one who takes a passing dog by the ears.

Silly from the Belgian for getting involved.

Last week nothing but condemnation of Thai's for not getting involved in the beat down of three British Subjects...Yup, nothing but double standards to be found here in the ex-pat community that's for sure.

Hey, folks need help no matter who they are when the circumstances dictate help required.

Totaly agree on the double standard answers in this group. It was a woman that was in trouble, point !!!!

Maybe he should stepped in and helped the husband? Probably they could have a beer togetter afterwards ???

Admirable, but getting in the mix between Thai man and wife is a BIG no no. Glad he's pulling through. Lucky to be alive.

Actually this is not specifically Thai.. domestics between lovers are always a police officers worst nightmare anywhere in the world as both can turn on the officer. So I can only extrapolate that this means that interfering in domestic disturbances is dangerous for everyone and all over the world.. not a specific Thai thing.

The topic is regarding someone getting stabbed after coming between a Thai couple, so yes it is specifically Thai. I am well aware of what happens elsewhere. However, this is a Thai forum, we're not discussing the rest of the world are we. When face is of utmost importance (as it is with Thais), causing someone to lose some is asking for it. You might get punched elsewhere, the Belgian's fate and worse is more likely to happen here.

I agree that it's best not to get involved in domestics. However we do not know the circumstances of the intervention. If the Thai husband was beating his wife to a pulp and she was in danger of being beaten to death then you have to try to stop him. If it was just a lot of shouting and pushing and shoving then walk on by.

Not always black and white

Silly from the Belgian for getting involved.

Last week nothing but condemnation of Thai's for not getting involved in the beat down of three British Subjects...Yup, nothing but double standards to be found here in the ex-pat community that's for sure.

Hey, folks need help no matter who they are when the circumstances dictate help required.

The Thais did get involved. The Scots started punching, restraining and slapping people and Thais stopped the aggressors.

Brutally.

No man has a right to do Bodily Harm to a woman, even his wife or girlfriend, except in self defense. Guess the Thai guy was losing so brother helped out with a knife. Use of a deadly weapon 10 to 20 in most Countries in the free World !!

Admirable, but getting in the mix between Thai man and wife is a BIG no no. Glad he's pulling through. Lucky to be alive.

I never get involved. I never have cause. Still my Thai family is constantly advising me to be careful, never get involved. They always tell me "it is so dangerous."

I dismiss them as fearful. However, I increasingly realize there is something to this. My Western chivalry upbringing is actually a liability here, I think.

Ladies and Gentlemen, the Holy Bible has the answer to every problem that one will ever face in his/her life, and the short Book of Proverbs is loaded with God's wisdom for everyday living. If a man/woman would only take just one half day out of their lives to put that knowledge in their head, they will save themselves a lifetime of grief and strife. Example for this case:

Proverbs 26:17 says: Whoever meddles in a quarrel not his own is like one who takes a passing dog by the ears.

So what exactly was Jesus doing interfering with the money lenders in the table when he overturned their tables?

Or was he deeply in debt to them?

A few years ago I saw a big fat Thai guy trying to choke a very small Thai girl. I had no idea of what was happening, or if they were a couple or if they knew each other.

Anyway, I would feel like shit if I did nothing, so I intervened verbally. The guy started cursing me in Thai (I'm pretty sure he was cursing) and almost hit me.

Anyway, he stopped choking her for the moment being. Then I got back to the hotel and called the police.

I'm sure it wasn't the smartest thing to do, but how would I feel doing nothing?

As I had a discussion today with a Thai main living in America ( or North America ) , he jumped me on my post about the Brit family " Thailands finest ) and I got quite a reaction ( FACE ?) I don't know but I gracefully explained to him ( apology ) that I wasn't stereo typing ALL Thai men but this crap is rampant. They don't even respect their own. This stuff is way over the top. You say stay out of it? Is that what you would do back home? Let abuse happen and walk away. MY MY what a gallant lad you are. I would rather take a shiv than walk away. These guys need some strong supervision. Spoiled brats. Have you ever been dressed down? I have and have sucked it up like a man. Evidently they are still adult children and need to be segragated from the rest of the sane society. Not trying to change the world , just doing/feeling what is ethical. There are no excuses for this kind of crap. Have at it boys. I know it's coming and I know you are in the category as the subject matter. Cheers. have a nice limp one.

Hate to say this ... but The dude should have not tried to help... walk away...safe.

What if it was your wife that was being given grief....?

or daughter!

Or any woman being beaten up by a man , for that matter !

ö

Actually this is not specifically Thai.. domestics between lovers are always a police officers worst nightmare anywhere in the world as both can turn on the officer. So I can only extrapolate that this means that interfering in domestic disturbances is dangerous for everyone and all over the world.. not a specific Thai thing.

Yes but in your own country you wouldn't get others diving in to give you a good kicking/stabbing. Surprised no motorbike taxi riders were involved.

I've seen it happen a few times. And every time I walked away in guilt and shame. But what could I do... as a farang making those men lose that much face, I could possibly even die getting involved in such a scenario.

Sad, but true. And i suspect that if you're handy with your fists, and hurt the husband, you'll have the wife at you with a steel bar. This isn't just a Thai story, it applies anywhere in the world.

Not sure about the "wife with steel bar" part in most other parts of the world.

Hate to say this ... but The dude should have not tried to help... walk away...safe.

. No you loony he shud of stayed close observed then if any life threatening advances towards the WOMEN then attack?????? at the same time record everything with ya phone beforehand to give to police it's not rocket science

Yes, unless her life was in danger I'd not intervene either. Hope the guy recovers and the culprits are dealt with accordingly. I highly doubt the'd see any jail time over this though.

Yes, and you'd determine that just how? Life in danger eh? The husband cut the Belgian man through and through, ya think she was in danger perhaps?

Husband did no cutting, the brother used the knife because he was coming to the aid of a close relative. His small brother was getting beat up by a large farang, a knife was needed. The older brother was there and had more information to go on than any TV bored member, he did what was right for a Thai to do. A belgium should enjoy the sun and leave domestic disputes be.

The choice to intervene was his alone to make. He sized up the situation and deemed it necessary to get in harms way & come to her aid. The man's a hero in my book.

I pity the poor <deleted> who (without even knowing the details) choose to criticize him. Cringing cowards love to heap scorn on those who have the balls to act.

Of course you'd have dived in and made a citizens arrest.

Nothing to do with having a pair, or with having nothing between the ears.

He made his decision and could've been killed. If so, like other foreigners killed here no one would bother much.

There is a reason why most police forces advise calling for help rather than trying to interfere.

Do you know all the facts either?

Nothing beats having someone justifying the correct actions to take by quoting the bible. The bible was written and edited by men so that it could be used in any situation to back up their point of view.

Eye for eye or turn the other cheek?

Now for your bit of wisdom - what is a quarrel?

Is it an argument over burning the pad thai or is it a man beating a woman to a pulp?

If your bible tells you the right thing to do is walk by as someone is being badly beaten when you could have stopped it then you need to put it where it belongs and grow some balls.

I have not read every post here so this may be already mentioned.... about 10-12 years ago in Phuket there was a case of a farang who got charged with causing bodily harm or whatever the Thai legal term was.... he intervened between Thai man and his wife who were violently arguing and Thai man as a result, produced a knife and tried to stab him... he succeeded in stabbing his wife who then claimed with her husbands support that had it not been for the interference the husband would never have produced the knife and that this domestic spat between them; violent as it was, would have eventually calmed down... the farang was charged but ended up settling with the wife and then took the first flight out....

Point is that here you have to think twice about any good Samaritan acts as a) it is dangerous for yourself and B) it can come full circle and all of a sudden you are in legal trouble. Pains me to think this way ... not the way we were bought up but this aint good old suburban Melbourne either

Archived