Football books you recommend?

Bredbury Blue

What decent football books have you read which you'd recommend to others to read?

3 off the top of my head that I really enjoyed:

1. Spurs - The Glory Game by Hunter Davies.

For those not in the know, its a warts and all account of Tottenhams 1971/72 season, in which Davies was given unprecedented access behind the scenes at White Hart Lane. Brilliant book; started the genre?

2. Man City - Blue Moon: Down Among the Dead Men with Manchester City by Mark Hodkinson

This volume traces a season in the life of Manchester City. Not just any season, but 1998-99, when the club found itself down among the dead men of English football. Just a great book. Read it 3 times. I enjoyed his writing so much I'll pick up when I'm next home [in Wythenshawe ;-) ] copies of:

a) Spotland: The Sun Also Rises and Other Football Stories. Mark Hodkinson

B) Life At The Top: Season In The Premiership With Barnsley Fc

3. Paul Lake

I'm Not Really Here by Paul Lake

The harrowing and gripping story of a Manchester City football hero's descent from cherished asset to tormented soul.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2011/jul/20/im-not-really-here-paul-lake-review

The book goes from lighthearted to very bleak and you really feel he's going to end it all at one point. Every young aspiring football should be made to read what can go wrong in a career.

I'm sure there is another thread on this, anyway, I've read a few hooligan books, most of which are tedious, mind numbing sh-ite.

However, the Mickey Francis autobiography was a very good read, as it entailed more than just match day violence and football hooliganism. Following the life of Mickey and his brothers, being brought up in rough part of the world in the 70's and 80's, leading in to becoming City's firm.

post-102811-0-15654000-1462813338_thumb.

Fever Pitch obviously.

Is it sacrilege to say that I thought on reading it that it's overrated. Just saying.

not at all. it's total sh*te. bridget jones' diary for north london lushes.

arthur hopcraft - the football man

david peace - the damned united

michael calvin - living on the volcano

simon kuper - football against the enemy

gary imlach - my father and other working class heroes

just a few off the top of my head.

Fever Pitch obviously.

Is it sacrilege to say that I thought on reading it that it's overrated. Just saying.

Wasn't aware of the Hopcraft and Calvin books, haven't read any of the 5, will definitely be getting michael calvin - living on the volcano.

Fever Pitch obviously.

You didn't understand it.

Maybe you will if Liverpool ever win the Premiership.

thumbsup.gif

I'm sure there is another thread on this, anyway, I've read a few hooligan books, most of which are tedious, mind numbing sh-ite.

However, the Mickey Francis autobiography was a very good read, as it entailed more than just match day violence and football hooliganism. Following the life of Mickey and his brothers, being brought up in rough part of the world in the 70's and 80's, leading in to becoming City's firm.

attachicon.gif41T1YNEAQ0L._AC_UL320_SR204,320_.jpg

Knew I'd read it, just had a quick search and found a (2003 edition) copy in mint condition. Mystery is I don't remember buying it. Anyway I'll have another read of it this week. The Guvnors, the Young Guvnors, the Cool Cats...hope they've all disbanded but I doubt it.

the film adaptation starred colin firth. probably tells you all you need to know about hornby and fever pitch.

In fairness it was an autobiography set against the backdrop of us winning the league at Anfield in 1989, so I can understand why you hate it.

"It's up for grabs now!"

thumbsup.gif

the film adaptation starred colin firth. probably tells you all you need to know about hornby and fever pitch.

In fairness it was an autobiography set against the backdrop of us winning the league at Anfield in 1989, so I can understand why you hate it.

"It's up for grabs now!"

thumbsup.gif

yeah wondered how long it would take you to work that one out. ;)

mods, please remove this video filth from a thread about books.

One Hump or Two by Frank Worthington. Very sad to see that he has Alzheimer's Disease.

I read yesterday he says he doesn't have the illness!

see, it really it does have an appalling effect on the memory. :(

(sorry).

"It's up for grabs now!"

thumbsup.gif

yeah wondered how long it would take you to work that one out. wink.png

Interesting; that was at a time when the keeper could still pick up back passes, the outlawing of which effectively put an end to 'the boot room'.

"It's up for grabs now!"

thumbsup.gif

yeah wondered how long it would take you to work that one out. wink.png

Interesting; that was at a time when the keeper could still pick up back passes, the outlawing of which effectively put an end to 'the boot room'.

was a bit more complicated than that. our cycle of success and the dalglish era were over really, and it was also post-hillsborough. players and club were shattered. wasn't quite as simple as hansen not being able to pass it back to brucie any more.

The Day a Team Died- by Frank Taylor

Duncan Edwards-The Greatest by James Leighton

Sir Bobby Charlton-The Autobiography

The King-Denis Law Autobiography

Nobby Stiles-After The Ball Autobiography

The Day a Team Died- by Frank Taylor

Duncan Edwards-The Greatest by James Leighton

Sir Bobby Charlton-The Autobiography

The King-Denis Law Autobiography

Nobby Stiles-After The Ball Autobiography

Sure they're good. Any non-ManU books you could recommend?

I'm pretty sure I haven't seen the movie, so is colin firth's character an upclass posh twit romantic arsenal fan or a lovely jubbly cockeynee arsenal fan?

Archived