Football books you recommend?

Bredbury Blue

the film adaptation starred colin firth. probably tells you all you need to know about hornby and fever pitch.

I'm pretty sure I haven't seen the movie, so is colin firth's character an upclass posh twit romantic arsenal fan or a lovely jubbly cockeynee arsenal fan?

He's the archetypal troubled nice bloke.

I don't think he can act any other role.

the film adaptation starred colin firth. probably tells you all you need to know about hornby and fever pitch.

I'm pretty sure I haven't seen the movie, so is colin firth's character an upclass posh twit romantic arsenal fan or a lovely jubbly cockeynee arsenal fan?

With a nasty speech impediment?

The Day a Team Died- by Frank Taylor

Duncan Edwards-The Greatest by James Leighton

Sir Bobby Charlton-The Autobiography

The King-Denis Law Autobiography

Nobby Stiles-After The Ball Autobiography

Sure they're good. Any non-ManU books you could recommend?

After reading these all others fall by the wayside,sorry sad.png

Be interested to know if you read, and/or had an opinion on books, Keane....and The Second Half?

Be interested to know if you read, and/or had an opinion on books, Keane....and The Second Half?

No not read that one,I,m not a great reader to be honest the other books were read while I was passing time while working on nights many years ago.clap2.gif

Any book involving roy keane has only one good use and that's to light fires with.

Any book involving roy keane has only one good use and that's to light fires with.

That,s downright dangerous,try instead as a door jam clap2.gif

Keano Keano Keano thumbsup.gif

Wish he was still playing thumbsup.gif

wasn't that the one where he basically gave a written confession to premeditatedly assaulting alf inge haaland? pillock.

Always Managing-My autobiography- Harry Redknapp

Big Sam -my autobiography Sam Allardyce

44 years with the same bird (ugh) Brian Reade

I have about 120 football books in my Kindle library, only read a couple of them.

Always Managing-My autobiography- Harry Redknapp

Big Sam -my autobiography Sam Allardyce

44 years with the same bird (ugh) Brian Reade

I have about 120 football books in my Kindle library, only read a couple of them.

hah, yeah that one's not really one for you is it lid?

reade's book about hicks and gillett is good - epic swindle. reminds you just how close liverpool were to administration.

wasn't that the one where he basically gave a written confession to premeditatedly assaulting alf inge haaland? pillock.

Steven Gerrard never won a single Premiership Winners medal in his illustrious career at Liverpool,if that "pillock" Roy Keane had been wearing the red of Liverpool instead of Man U it would have been a different story.

If you ever get the opportunity to meet Alf Inge Haaland ask him why did he take it upon himself to to go over to Roy Keane when he was lying on the ground injured after a tackle at Elland Rd some years previous and go eyeball to eyeball with him and what exactly did he say the caused Roy to seek such retribution.

Maybe Alfie,s reply will be along the lines of "because I was a pillock and shouldn,t have done it"

Som Nom Nha wink.png

• 2 months later...

Picked up an excellent read from Asiabooks, B395, 'Living in the Volcano: The secrets of surviving as a Football Manager' (the title comes from a Arsene quote; he did the book Foreword).

It's a newish book, author Michael Calvin seems to be have been given access to +20 managers in the British game, each chapter is an interview with one or more manager. The interviews are a bit samey but I couldn't put the book down and didn't want it to end. There are some great chapters (Sean Dyche and Shaun Derry chapters for me) and some strange and entertaining ones (Holloway obviously. ..character).

Came away from the book with a new respect for people who work as managers - think the book states average tenure is 12 months in the Championship. The book starts with Martin Ling and ends with Martin Ling.

I shall be learning in the coming days the current92 managers and following what happens to them over the coming season...best of luck to them all.

• 1 year later...
3 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

On my hols next week so need a book to entertain me at the quiet beach house we've rented. Thought I'd give the Joey Barton book 'No Nonsense' a go - an interesting character and I'm sure it'll be an interesting read.

34220629.jpg

Yep they also had that in AsiaBooks but I wasn't interested as while I know Honigstein writes in the Guardian and should be decent, but I recently read the Pep book by non-native speaker Guillem Balague and it was RUBBISH. Anybody read the Klippety book? Any good?

4 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Yep they also had that in AsiaBooks but I wasn't interested as while I know Honigstein writes in the Guardian and should be decent, but I recently read the Pep book by non-native speaker Guillem Balague and it was RUBBISH. Anybody read the Klippety book? Any good?

I've not yet, but there have been some decent reviews, but obviously could be a little bias

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 5/6/2018 at 3:22 PM, Bredbury Blue said:

On my hols next week so need a book to entertain me at the quiet beach house we've rented. Thought I'd give the Joey Barton book 'No Nonsense' a go - an interesting character and I'm sure it'll be an interesting read.

It was a  great read.

Didn't  enjoy so much the early years when he's  laying  it on thick about liverpool but once he gets in to his pro years it was hard to put down (full of interesting  nuggets like City wanted Allardyce before Thaksin brought in Sven). He clears up a lot of the myths about joey Barton (you believe  or don't  believe ).

Michael Calvin, author of Nowhere Men and Living on the Volcano (see my post above) co-authored/wrote Barton's book and is an excellent writer.

Bought in AsiaBooks.

9781471163043.jpeg

Archived