thailand vs philippines

drakoanders

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3 weeks in the Philippines and you know it all,lol? clap2.gif
Phuket is much better,with the tuk tuk mafia,jetski scammers,airport taxi ripoffs,200 baht a Chang beer on Bangla,regular roadblocks for tea money etc? cheesy.gif

​ "The Philippines has a very small tourist industry compared to Thailand .Violence by Philippine on Philippine does not get reported World wide .Its far more dangerous than Thailand ,but if you want to keep your head in the sand up to you .I have not even mentioned the kidnapping of Westerners for money by the rebels in certain areas .Heads get cut off if no payment is made ."

There has been more people murdered on the tiny island of Koh Tao in the last 4 or 5 years than have had their heads chopped off by Abu Sayyaf in the whole of the Philippines 7,000+ islands.Say it anyway you like but Thailand is the number one destination in the World for Australians to die it is far,far more dangerous than the Philippines and all statistics will back this up.Just go on the Bangkok Post/Phuket News and Phuket Gazette and you will see foreigners murdered every single day of the week in Thailand!
This just does not happen in the Philippines,even the Filipinos will tell you "We don't murder foreigners here!"

Dude mestizo Filipinas.... think again.

Tourism authorities in Thailand speak with lightening they, grieve it on its way.. Do not go gentle into Thailand..

PI chicken adobo tastes better than cao pot gai.. heck even the wuff wuff taste better.

PI chicks speak English with that funny twist.. Thai girls just open their mouths.... oh..ok.... some...

PI soaps are bilingual.. Thai Soaps same theme one brand.

Short time and too big same meaning..

Pancit to woonsen.. pancit tasty woonsen bland.

Ruling families 5-8 in PI.. well too many wanabes here.

Creative reporting and writing.... even..

San Miguel vs Singh.... personal choice.. like Miller instead.

Finally ... PI beauty queens know when to call the call and fade away.

For all these reasons, the house gives it to the Japanese...clap2.gif

Congratulations to the OP you appear to have brought out an incredible level of daftness in the comparison of two nations; let racism rule eh? The Philippines is not the crime capital of the world nor is Thailand the promised land. While there are parts of the Philippines which are crime ridden danger zones; there are parts which are no more worrisome than a trip to Tesco back home too. Conversely while Thailand may be generally safer when it comes to street crime - when Thais go mad, it leads to a higher murder and crime rate (partly due to Thailand's endless appealing [as opposed to appeal] to foreign visitors).

The best comparisons of places to live aren't based on others' histrionics but rather on what you need from a place. There are good reasons to prefer to Manila to Chiang Mai and vice-versa. And many reasons to prefer one part of a country over another in a different country. Yes, Thailand attracts more retirees. That is people with nothing but time (and rarely money) on their hands. They are whining, complaining gits in the main and make Thailand seem snowed under with misery but the truth is that it's quite pleasant here and you don't have to mix with expats unless you want to. There are many hi-so Thais (and indeed middle and lower class) who speak great English but the whiners will never give them a chance to demonstrate that (they've judged and found wanting everyone they have never spoken to based on a conversation with a taxi driver on their first day in country). And so on...

Don't choose based on forum recommendations. Spend a couple of months here and then decide if you like it more or less than where you are now. It is the only rational thing to do.

​ "The Philippines has a very small tourist industry compared to Thailand .Violence by Philippine on Philippine does not get reported World wide .Its far more dangerous than Thailand ,but if you want to keep your head in the sand up to you .I have not even mentioned the kidnapping of Westerners for money by the rebels in certain areas .Heads get cut off if no payment is made ."

There has been more people murdered on the tiny island of Koh Tao in the last 4 or 5 years than have had their heads chopped off by Abu Sayyaf in the whole of the Philippines 7,000+ islands.Say it anyway you like but Thailand is the number one destination in the World for Australians to die it is far,far more dangerous than the Philippines and all statistics will back this up.Just go on the Bangkok Post/Phuket News and Phuket Gazette and you will see foreigners murdered every single day of the week in Thailand!

This just does not happen in the Philippines,even the Filipinos will tell you "We don't murder foreigners here!"

Mind telling us all how long you have been in Thailand with your

vast knowledge of how bad it is and why do you stay?

"Mind telling us all how long you have been in Thailand with your

vast knowledge of how bad it is and why do you stay?"

I've been in Thailand long enough to speak,read and write Thai how about you?Do you speak,read and write Thai also,or even any one of the three?

At some stage in the not too distant future I plan to do a visit to the PI in tourist mode, just to scope as an alternative to Th should it ever go pear shaped here, or in case I just grow bored of it.

I pay no attention at all to the moaners on TV, some folks wouldn't be happy anywhere. Pessimism does seem to attract pessimism, especially in internet virtual pubs where many are forced to hang out to air their views of the world, especially when they can't interact with locals because despite being here 10 years or whatever, they have never bothered to learn Thai.

One problem for me is I'm an ardent foodie and the PI has a real REAL bad reputation for food, or rather local food, which I'm hoping parts may suffer less from, maybe through having a greater international variety available.

My other concern would be that I pick the right places to check out so as not to be put off by the worst of it. At the moment I'm guessing Cebu would be top of the list and take it from there.

Meanwhile Thailand is fine. CM is fine too. Phuket also, but after living there I prefer the broader spectrum of CM vs the narrower tourist orientated scope of Phuket. The bike riding in CM is much better too, more scenic IMO, much safer and for several months of the year with fantastic weather for it.

Nowhere is perfect and for me I'm just content to live in a place where the negatives aggravate me the least. Currently that's Thailand. Imperfections - loads. Can I live with them? Easily. At least for now :)

But do learn to speak Thai. Makes life so much more rewarding here, not to mention easier in almost every regard. And don't listen to those who say it's too hard, especially in internet forums where there'll be loads of people to join in the chorus. People will often seek the supporting voice of others to confirm they made the right choice to give up on something. It's not easy but it's not that hard either.

You can live well in the Philippines on little money. For a little more, you can live much better in Thailand. The Filipinos don't want to live there.

Agree, this is the most telling. I've met many Filipinos (mostly not living in the PI) and they're largely wonderful people. But even they will concede that their country is a mess. Those that have any sort of ambition or looking for a better life want to leave. In many ways, the Philippines is more like Mexico than an Asian country. Maybe it's the Catholic thing. The only reason any expat would choose the PI over Thailand is if money is a major issue, you can live a bit cheaper there. Not better, just cheaper.

It makes me laugh that the only bad thing that people can come up with about the Philippines is how terrible the food is,I've lived in Phuket and all the seafood restaurants there in Patong BBQ their Tiger Prawns and Lobster well guess what,they can throw the same seafood on a BBQ for you in the Philippines also!And do you eat out for every single meal you have in Thailand,or do you cook at home for most of your main meals well guess what?You can also cook at home in the Phils and even buy some Thai red or green curry sauce,coconut milk and make your own Thai food.
There is a chain of Thai restaurants called Krua Thai in Cebu there are branches at SM Mall near the port and I used to visit the one in Crossroads Mall,Banilad and it's excellent.My friend's Thai wife used to write down in Thai what she wanted the chef to cook for her and her did it no problem,the Tom Yam Koong was as good and authentic as any Thai restaurant in Thailand and the owner,cook and half of the waiting staff were genuine Thais.I used to pay 70 Philippine Pesos for a small bottle of ice-cold Singha beer,which is around 50 Thai Baht so it was actually cheaper than buying beer anywhere I know of in Thailand for Thai beer!
If you're in Manila then the People's Palace in Makati is one of the best Thai restaurants you will ever visit,it's absolute nonsense to say the food in the Philippines is no good as it's just as good as food anywhere else in South-East Asia,it's just a one-size-fits-all excuse wheeled out by idiots and know-it-alls that have never been there but who cares,it's their loss not mine?

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g298450-d804094-Reviews-People_s_Palace-Makati_Metro_Manila_Luzon.html

Having had the displeasure of being in the PI off and on since 1978....keep coming back to LOS because after a few weeks all the "entitled" folks of the PI grind my gears......I owe them nothing, but they seem to feel that I owe them all I have....always looking for the handout....and the food? Forget it....worst in the world, hands down. So why do I keep going back? Stupid is what stupid does....and the fact that it is close...lol. ?

Stay in Philippines.

Thailand is very xenophobic while Philippines is not.

Long term visa easy to get in Philippines whereas everyone can only get 1 year visa here which in effect is only extended tourist visa.

Dual pricing in Thailand where foreigners always pay 10 times more and not in Phil.

Everyone speaks English in Phil. whereas only professional people speak it here.

Immigration in Chiang Mai is a never ending nightmare which has gotten a lot worse. People lining up at 3 am every working day begging

for a number to be seen... how degrading yet the sheep keep doing it.

If you get involved in a problem with a Thai, foreigner always loses. Justice system is non existent for foreigners.

Roads are better in Thailand but above is far more important.

The grass is not greener on the other side!

It makes me laugh that the only bad thing that people can come up with about the Philippines is how terrible the food is,I've lived in Phuket and all the seafood restaurants there in Patong BBQ their Tiger Prawns and Lobster well guess what,they can throw the same seafood on a BBQ for you in the Philippines also!And do you eat out for every single meal you have in Thailand,or do you cook at home for most of your main meals well guess what?You can also cook at home in the Phils and even buy some Thai red or green curry sauce,coconut milk and make your own Thai food.

There is a chain of Thai restaurants called Krua Thai in Cebu there are branches at SM Mall near the port and I used to visit the one in Crossroads Mall,Banilad and it's excellent.My friend's Thai wife used to write down in Thai what she wanted the chef to cook for her and her did it no problem,the Tom Yam Koong was as good and authentic as any Thai restaurant in Thailand and the owner,cook and half of the waiting staff were genuine Thais.I used to pay 70 Philippine Pesos for a small bottle of ice-cold Singha beer,which is around 50 Thai Baht so it was actually cheaper than buying beer anywhere I know of in Thailand for Thai beer!

If you're in Manila then the People's Palace in Makati is one of the best Thai restaurants you will ever visit,it's absolute nonsense to say the food in the Philippines is no good as it's just as good as food anywhere else in South-East Asia,it's just a one-size-fits-all excuse wheeled out by idiots and know-it-alls that have never been there but who cares,it's their loss not mine?

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g298450-d804094-Reviews-People_s_Palace-Makati_Metro_Manila_Luzon.html

Fundamental problem is they use some kind of foul cooking oil, it's odour wafting from almost every kitchen and food-cart in the country.

It has a rancid smell and makes me gag, literally sick to my stomach to eat anything cooked in it.

I have not been to a country where walking around in a upscale shopping Mall everything in the food court looks so unappetizing I ended up in a

Vietnamese restaurant. Even people who have a little money there now seem to want to keep eating pig offal and fried ground up fat because they grew

to like it.

Good to see the usual TV experts in here commenting on a place (The Philippines) where they have never been.

I think the kind of lifestyle you're after matters a lot as to whether CM is the place for you, but to be honest, I'm not really sure why anyone would choose to live here over other places in Thailand.

If you are retired, want a nice social life with similar people and want to live in a nice village with clean air and decent infrastructure, I would say take a look at Udon Thani. It's probably more like what people think Chiang Mai is than Chiang Mai actually is. It's alos easier to get things done there as the locals are generally harder working and not as thick.

If you are still working and would like to network with other foreigners of a working age, then obviously Bangkok is by far the best place to be, followed by Pattaya and Phuket.

What do you like to do? What sort of things do you like to eat and drink?

For me, I like mountains and if I was retired I would choose somewhere in the Nan provence and get all the essentials for survival (real food, real beer) shipped up from Bangkok and the rest grown or made ourselves. Similary, if I wanted to live by the sea I would go somewhere south of Pratchuap Kiri Kan. The only drawbacks with both of these locations is that you're pretty much on your own with very few other westerners to have a half sensible conversation with.

Some people just like to complain about the heat, insane traffic and drivers, corruption, scams, hostility, paying double prices, immigration, and on and on...

I don't know where they get the idea that Thailand is not a wonderful place to live...

I think you need to come here. Chiang Mai seems to be a magical place. I thought it was just us, we were drawn to it, kept on coming back as if a magnet was pulling us here. I've spoken to many other people about that, and it seems that it isn't just us. There's something about the place that is either going to get under your skin or it won't. Most of us here to some extent will have been drawn here - maybe not those married to Thai's and live here because it's the wife's home, but the married farang couples like us and the single men (and women) will know what I'm talking about.

It's not perfect, but tell me one place on earth that is. Personally, and I know this sounds odd, I don't like Thailand. I don't like the politics, don't like the in-your-face corruption, don't like the structure of society, and especially don't like the food. I don't like Thailand at all. But I love Chiang Mai.

I think that says it all. wai2.gif

Philippines advantages :

1.English is spoken widely ,

2.People seems to be friendly ,

3,Girls adore foreigner,caucasian ,

4,Booze and cigarettes are much cheaper,

5,Nice nature on islands

Philippines disadvantages:

1.In general much more dangerous than Thailand,special big cities ,

2.Internet is very slow ,expensive and bad

3.Electricity is very,very pricey(4-5 time more than in Thailand)

4.Much easier and much cheaper to get retirement visa in Thailand compared to Philippines;

5.Thai food is much better than Philippin food

I was not ungrateful about the comments made on my question in fact I am very grateful. Was just stating that there are moaners and complainers everywhere. The comments made have given me an insight to Thailand, some positive and some negative. I have been reading the news clips and it does seem quite violent down south more violent than here that's for sure. But cm seems to me to be safe. I don't need loads of bars and bar girls I won't be able to eat out much. Fruit and veg seems cheap there we cook all our own food normally just eat out occasionally. If I can get all the food I want and like here in pi I am sure I can get it there plus Thai food some of which I love. The smoke dmoes concern me a bit especially with two very young kids can't afford to move south for a few months every year. Where we settle we want to stay.

Now the philippines its dangerous in places manila is the pits but having said that everything is there. Makati is very posh but very expensive. The provinces are fine but can be a bit too remote. Living in Philippines is easy for a foreigner, most people speak some English so its easy there are trouble spots where its a no go area in mindanaou but generally its fairly safe. Go shouting you mouth off insult a Filipino be arrogant and you will find trouble but I guess that's the same in Thailand. Filipino food? Its not the best but some dishes are tasty.

The conclusion I am coming to is Thailand has much better infrastructure much cleaner, not quite as corrupt, traffic just as bad , good beaches to be found. But not quite as friendly as Philippines Filipinos love to have a foreign friend and they are extremely hospitible. The visa situation is not as easy as it is here and the retirement visa here is cheaper here. And no yearly visa runs etc. And of course the language barrier in Thailand is greater than here. Many countries send students here learn English, its cheap and the whole living experience contains English road signs adverts etc etc.

So which is better?

Thailand for its infrastructure, cleanliness and maybe less corruption, Thai food,

Philippines for ease of living here some beautiful deserted beaches very friendly hospititable people.

For me I just want to experience thailand didn't fancy phuket pattaya or bkk so I selected cm. When I am there if need to move I will.

I was not ungrateful about the comments made on my question in fact I am very grateful. Was just stating that there are moaners and complainers everywhere. The comments made have given me an insight to Thailand, some positive and some negative. I have been reading the news clips and it does seem quite violent down south more violent than here that's for sure. But cm seems to me to be safe. I don't need loads of bars and bar girls I won't be able to eat out much. Fruit and veg seems cheap there we cook all our own food normally just eat out occasionally. If I can get all the food I want and like here in pi I am sure I can get it there plus Thai food some of which I love. The smoke dmoes concern me a bit especially with two very young kids can't afford to move south for a few months every year. Where we settle we want to stay.

Now the philippines its dangerous in places manila is the pits but having said that everything is there. Makati is very posh but very expensive. The provinces are fine but can be a bit too remote. Living in Philippines is easy for a foreigner, most people speak some English so its easy there are trouble spots where its a no go area in mindanaou but generally its fairly safe. Go shouting you mouth off insult a Filipino be arrogant and you will find trouble but I guess that's the same in Thailand. Filipino food? Its not the best but some dishes are tasty.

The conclusion I am coming to is Thailand has much better infrastructure much cleaner, not quite as corrupt, traffic just as bad , good beaches to be found. But not quite as friendly as Philippines Filipinos love to have a foreign friend and they are extremely hospitible. The visa situation is not as easy as it is here and the retirement visa here is cheaper here. And no yearly visa runs etc. And of course the language barrier in Thailand is greater than here. Many countries send students here learn English, its cheap and the whole living experience contains English road signs adverts etc etc.

So which is better?

Thailand for its infrastructure, cleanliness and maybe less corruption, Thai food,

Philippines for ease of living here some beautiful deserted beaches very friendly hospititable people.

For me I just want to experience thailand didn't fancy phuket pattaya or bkk so I selected cm. When I am there if need to move I will.

CM certainly has an adantage if you cook a lot of your own food as the (supposedly) organic fruit and veg is abundant here and grown locally.

Some of the best meals i ever had has was on Boracay island .They set up Buffets on the beach every evening .What a beautiful beach that is ,beautiful white sand and emerald sea as far as the eye can see.

IMO one has to balance one's views with personal preferences and one example I will give is that of Thai food versus Filipino food. I rarely eat Thai food and if I do, I cook it myself because the stuff I've tasted in restaurants here is absolute rubbish, so if I moved elsewhere, I wouldn't really miss Thai food.

I don't eat the local food in Thailand, so why should I eat the local food in the Philippines? If I wanted to I might have a crack at cooking some myself but in the main I cook farang style food and eat out in farang restaurants, so for me the comparison of food between these two countries is pretty meaningless.

Another thing I cannot understand is the comparison between Manila and Chiang Mai (and I know the OP said he was considering Chiang Mai) because they are two entirely different cities and whereas one is the capital, the other is not. Surely far better to make a comparison between Manila and Bangkok and then they are more meaningful?

I have been to Manila a couple of times and found it to be a dirty, grimy and polluted city much the same as Bangkok and I would never go back to either of them, however I might well try a visit to Cebu, Boracuy or Palawan in the near future to try them out because like SooKee has mentioned, it's always nice to have another bolthole should things turn pear shaped in Thailand.

I did like the fact that English was more widely spoken in the Philippines and that you can at least have a conversation with a local who had a good grasp of the English language and I never felt threatened in Manila even though I was out and about during the daytime and late evening.

For the OP, I would try other places in Thailand, this mainly because the pollution from the burn off in Chiang Mai is dangerous to health despite someone describing it as being organic in nature. The same goes for the Philippines, why not get out of Manila and try somewhere else? Lots of options and good that the OP is seeking input from TV members, whether it be good, bad, or indifferent and only he can sort the wheat from the chaff and decide what is important for him.

As others have mentioned, the latter is obviously less developed than the former. And if you've been to Thailand, you'll realize that's not an ideal situation to live in for anyone over 40 used to a western lifestyle.

In terms of the people, PH is far less nationalistic than TH and the people there seem to fawn over if not worship farang. Thais are more reserved when it comes to farang so you likely won't get the 'rockstar' treatment that you do in PH.

I've lived in Cebu and can highly recommend it but am very soon heading for Manila for a stint,I won't be back in Thailand until at the very least the government changes if at all.I find all the racism,xenophobia and generally awful treatment of foreigners just wears me down and there are so many better places these days in South-East Asia like Vietnam and even Cambodia is catching up at a great rate of knots as you can see by the chart,credit to Bloomberg and the original article here :

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-05-09/next-job-of-philippines-new-president-is-winning-over-investors

If you Base your Intel on Bloomberg it's meaningless unless you're a corporation.

Tanks-r-us won't last. They'll start to piss off the super elite soon enough with their antics.

The moron next President of the PI. Sounds and acts like Idi Amin. Good luck with that buffoon running what's left of the stolen nation into the bronze age 2.0

Cambodia is run by a murderous looney as well.

You need to stop believing everything the daily mail or Sun writes. The PI is a poor second over Thailand and is unlikely to change for a generation or ten.

IMO one has to balance one's views with personal preferences and one example I will give is that of Thai food versus Filipino food. I rarely eat Thai food and if I do, I cook it myself because the stuff I've tasted in restaurants here is absolute rubbish, so if I moved elsewhere, I wouldn't really miss Thai food.

I don't eat the local food in Thailand, so why should I eat the local food in the Philippines? If I wanted to I might have a crack at cooking some myself but in the main I cook farang style food and eat out in farang restaurants, so for me the comparison of food between these two countries is pretty meaningless.

Hmmm, the "stuff you've tasted in restaurants" is Thai food, the concoction you make at home is something else....pretty much sums it up? So it's a matter of taste and it seems you prefer whatever it is that you cook yourself (no idea what that may be). Personally, I find the Thai food in many of the restaurants in Chiang Mai excellent. There are literally hundreds. If you don't like Thai food, just say so. But to suggest that you can make better Thai food than the Thais....beggars belief.

Recently got back from 3 wks in Luzon. A few years ago went to the southern Island.

I feel safer in Thailand but like more easily speaking in my native tongue in PI. As always lots of pros and cons and always situational as life is (but I never lived in PI to fairly compare)

But I want to talk about the food.

I had amazing meals on my visits. Can't beat the pork but it can beat you if you don't make a real effort to enjoy other things.

Of course regional but great salt water fish and I prefer the beef to here.

Had amazing organic Chinese food up north and a gourmet 12 course meal outside Manila, up there in memorability with the Paris's Michelin stared eateries I've had the pleasure dining at. Talking Michelin I went to a stared Dim Sum place in Manila.

But the local food can be fantastic but just like here one has to order the right stuff.

That being said I'd choose Thai overall but can't rave enough about Philipino cuisine.

Saying Thai food in Chiang Mai is "rubbish" so you make Thai food on your own, and mostly make Farang food strains credibility.

Read my post again.........and nothing wrong with my credibility!

I read it again. You said the Thai food you had here in Chiang Mai was "absolute rubbish". Did you stay at Le Meridien Chiang Mai and pop over to the tourist oriented dumps on Changklan road?

I'd reckon you have no idea what you are talking about or have been to the few bad places, which do exist .

Or else you have been made familiar to the version of so-called Thai Food that is served in Los Angeles or London (or where ever) and now that has become your own personal standard of excellence? A giant pile of sliced chicken breast lightly coated in green curry and oils with a few basil sprigs and 3 thin slices of red chili pepper passed of as Gaeng Kiew Wan Gai?

Rubbish and nonsense.

Not wanting to get involved in any arguments, but food is a really subjective thing. I love Indian food. but can't eat what they serve up as Indian in UK or Aus and I've found the ones here in Thailand very similar tasting to UK. Brits love it, fair enough, but I prefer home made (from scratch) or in the cheap canteens in Malaysia. It's all personal taste.

At a push I will buy a little baggie of red, green or yellow curry paste from the stalls on the market and can do a fair version of Thai food, which my husband loves but I don't really like. He eats Thai for lunch every day, and every day goes to a different place which specialises in whatever he fancies that day Ditto Mexican and Japanese, they're not bad food, and I've tried both at well recommended restaurants in various countries, just not to my taste. The Mexican could be like the Indian, I've never been to Mexico but I've been to Japan a couple of times and really didn't enjoy the food. I ate it, but didn't enjoy it. Not to my taste. In China we ended up eating McDonalds, KFC and Pringles a lot because neither of us could get away with the half a dozen or more restaurants we tried, although we found a nice one on our last day when we were hanging around waiting to go to the airport, just pure luck. I really like north African food, husband doesn't mind it but wouldn't want to go out to a restaurant to eat it, it's only if I put it in front of him and only because he will eat whatever I put in front of him. Again, personal taste. I don't like celery, he doesn't like cauliflower.

Food, in all of it's glories, really is a personal matter of taste. I well remember some of the heated discussions on this forum about which butter is best - that is discussions plural. We all have the one we like best, otherwise there would only be one brand and it would be a boring world.

I have to say though that in all my travels, and we lived in Melbourne for 20 years which is the food capital of a very multicultural country, where we found Peruvian, Mongolian and Somali restaurants amongst many other oddities, I've never come across a Filipino restaurant anywhere. Or, come to think of it, a Cambodian one. Not saying that they don't exist, just that I've never noticed one.

I have to say though that in all my travels, and we lived in Melbourne for 20 years where we found Peruvian and Somali restaurants amongst many othrt oddities, I've never come across a Filipino restaurant. Or, come to tnk of it, a Cambodian one.

Archived