Photo Forum Makeover!

Hello TVF photo members!

In an effort to make the Thai Visa Photo forum more user friendly and cut down on the endless threads. Ron and I started closing topics and making a more general topic to cover different but similar topics ... As an example... One topic to cover Vehicles... has been done.

We needed to wait a few days just to see if it affected Google search engines, and get approval from TV HQ!...

It seems what we have started to do is OK... therefore Ron and I will continue, bare with us as this is a little tedious and time consuming to do...

We hope the end result will make it much easier to navigate through the Photo Forum. There will be some old threads that never really took of and others that we won't know what to do with... we'll just have to let things evolve... and see how to deal with that!

It will look a little messy to begin with, seeing the locked topics, but that should go down the pages as time goes on... You can still view locked topics but can't add to them.

Why not join the several members who have started their own "Daily life in Thailand and what I see..."

That has taken off very well... To keep some consistency, start with "Your screen Name.... Daily life in Thailand and what I see"...

It will be up to each member participating to keep their thread up... !
The images must all be Thailand related, although we will keep "World Wide" open.
There seems to be a few members that this site is or should be for professional grade photographers. It's open to all... but please try to use images that are good, and are related to life and what we see in Thailand...

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi folks

I am sure that you are doing, what you think is best.......BUT, is this forum still a photography forum,or just become post what you like and as much of it forum?

Am a little bit confused as to why you would close one of the better threads down 'Night shots',this is one of the few threads on the forum, where some actual photographic knowledge is needed!

Also,the 'Market and Stalls' thread was closed,only to make another thread, with the addition of the word 'shops' added to it.Nothing really changed,the same old 'snap shots' are being posted in the new thread (as they are in many of the threads).

The old saying springs to mind......." In the land of the blind,the one eyed man is King "

At its core, ThaiVisa is about Thailand. Photography is one way of relating to life in this country but only one of many. There are plenty of tutorials on YouTube if one really wants to get all serious about being a “photographer”, but I see this site as more about sharing.

Sure we find some photos more appealing than others but I am not sure that is the only way to measure things. I like to see how different people view the world around them or even how they view the same thing.
For example #Assurancetourix just spent a few days here in my part of Thailand. He road some of the same roads I do and passed the same things I pass but he had very different impressions based on what interests him.
I like having my own thread where I can share my vision of Chiang Rai and someone else can have their own thread where they show things the way they see them. It ends up being more personal and less competitive, which is a good thing in my opinion.
Some people end up using photography as way of feeding their egos and putting other people down. When photography becomes a weapon it loses its joy and beauty. If you make your living taking pictures I guess it can become a very serious thing but I think many of us just happen to take a photo from time to time during the process of living our lives. It is nice to be able to show someone else what we saw. Sometimes it is just about the sharing.
There is nothing stopping people from starting serious topics if that is their thing but I think there is room for both. Pruning some of the old stuff may just lead to new growth as it does in plants.

Hello Shaggy..

Thanks for your input.

We'll after endless PM's from members, I am sure you know about that, the three things that stood out, were: Too many threads, too much same same and to many over done topics.

It was time for a fresh start in some areas... Members are free to comment as they see fit... many have already.

It's been a long process to try to sort out how to go about making changes, and it's done in away that if there is enough call for a particular topic needed to be opened again, we can do that.

Ron and I are in the process of sorted through, some topics will not be locked or started afresh .. (but because Ron's internet was down yesterday and this morning we have not finished that "conversation")

It seems senseless, to have topics which really don't need to be separate ... i.e Vehicles and Transportation.. etc.

I appreciate skill is needed for night shots, but don't see why it's needs to be indoor or outdoor.. and as there is so little with flash photography, it seemed to fit in that "group" .

JohnTwo's idea of "What I see" threads have taken off well, it gives a bit more of a personal touch to the forum, there has been very positive feed back on that. As long as people keep them up, it should go well.

Threads we will probably leave as is, are ones like the Bird thread, Nature etc...

If Ron wishes to add his thoughts or for that matter anyone wishes to comment, they can do so here...(that's why we left it open) But most members have already commented.

Jim

At its core, ThaiVisa is about Thailand. Photography is one way of relating to life in this country but only one of many. There are plenty of tutorials on YouTube if one really wants to get all serious about being a “photographer”, but I see this site as more about sharing.

Sure we find some photos more appealing than others but I am not sure that is the only way to measure things. I like to see how different people view the world around them or even how they view the same thing.
For example #Assurancetourix just spent a few days here in my part of Thailand. He road some of the same roads I do and passed the same things I pass but he had very different impressions based on what interests him.
I like having my own thread where I can share my vision of Chiang Rai and someone else can have their own thread where they show things the way they see them. It ends up being more personal and less competitive, which is a good thing in my opinion.
Some people end up using photography as way of feeding their egos and putting other people down. When photography becomes a weapon it loses its joy and beauty. If you make your living taking pictures I guess it can become a very serious thing but I think many of us just happen to take a photo from time to time during the process of living our lives. It is nice to be able to show someone else what we saw. Sometimes it is just about the sharing.
There is nothing stopping people from starting serious topics if that is their thing but I think there is room for both. Pruning some of the old stuff may just lead to new growth as it does in plants.

A little bit strange reading that post from you VF! I do remember someone once saying to me (when I asked them to start up a Landscape thread),that the

weren't interested and if the wanted to look at photographs,then TVF would be the last place they would choose! But there again,you have now got a thread ,dedicated to just your own images now....haven't you?

A little bit strange reading that post from you VF! I do remember someone once saying to me (when I asked them to start up a Landscape thread),that the

weren't interested and if the wanted to look at photographs,then TVF would be the last place they would choose! But there again,you have now got a thread ,dedicated to just your own images now....haven't you?

Please, let's not turn this into "I said ... you said or you said I said " .... Things change and evolve... enough said.... I hope! wai.gif

You have put your own spin on what I said but that is okay because that is probably the way you read it. I still don’t think TVF is a good format for viewing photos and I prefer to add a photo to a normal post simply as illustration.
I also find myself clicking the “mark this forum read” link when there are too many topics to sort through. That is why I am not unhappy that some pruning is going on. I find it easier to follow a personal thread but that is just me.
In the past I have mainly posted photos in the Chiang Rai forum as a way of promoting the area where I live but by having a thread running in this forum as well I think I am reaching a different audience.

Just to clarify, I never said TVF was the last place I would choose. I did say the following.

"One problem I have with the photography forum is there are way too many topics for my taste. More often than not, I just click on the forum and mark it a read with one click and then go somewhere else. I tend to come across better photos in a better format on Google+ and don’t have to open multiple topics everyday." (I should add FaceBook or Instagram to the list.) "When I start a topic I like to stick with it and feel a sense of ownership so I am not sure I really want to lock myself into what might be a long running topic."

Just to add, Ron and I are trying to come up with some ideas, of how to make this forum better... We've made a few changes already by trying to cut down on the endless amount of threads, that was one of the biggest complaints I had on PM's over the last six weeks or so... Some things people don't like to say on a public forum...

I want to discuss with Ron a little more before we do much else..

But the fact that the What I see threads gives members the opportunity to show off their own work. without being mixed up with varying photography skills.

Hi folks

Am a little bit confused as to why you would close one of the better threads down 'Night shots', this is one of the few threads on the forum, where some actual photographic knowledge is needed!

and then added Indoor with or without Flash.. clap2.gif

Are you Folks really into photography ? coffee1.gifblink.png I think you are NOT sad.png sad but, true.crazy.gif

So, many one ask, how many members requested this change to this forum?

And why? if it was asked for by a few members, no POLL was taken by your good selves to ask the silent majority, thumbsup.gif what they think of your damaging changes to this forum. bah.gif

Win tongue.png

Hi folks

Am a little bit confused as to why you would close one of the better threads down 'Night shots', this is one of the few threads on the forum, where some actual photographic knowledge is needed!

Are you Folks really into photography ? coffee1.gifblink.png I think you are NOT sad.png sad but, true.crazy.gif

And why? if it was asked for by a few members, no POLL was taken by your good selves to ask the silent majority, thumbsup.gif what they think of your damaging changes to this forum. bah.gif

Win tongue.png

Can never understand the young people of today Win facepalm.gif

I wish this rather old fashioned forum software could accommodate a profile page with a photo album which compiles all of our posted photos in a beautiful and easily navigated format. They do it on more modern social media platforms and it is much more beautiful and popular than what we have here.

Obviously some people don’t cope well with change and prefer to stay firmly planted in the past. Instead of offering a positive way forward they simply want to tear others down for trying. If you are not willing to do it yourself then give those who are willing to give of their time a chance show us their vision. If after a suitable period of time things are not working out, perhaps someone else will be willing to step forward and try their hand at taming the beast.

Hi folks

Win tongue.png

The biggest problem is that many people do not respond publically... The question was asked...I gave a choice of answering publically or by PM...most choose PM...

and I have a ton of PM's where people have made their point... First is too many threads .. too many way overdone and sometimes poor quality images...

How many vehicle type threads do we need? That's why we lumped them together... it was the same with the night photography, it gives a wider scope... indoor can be as difficult as outdoor, and generally appeals to a small group...

There are only a very few that seem to want this to be a high-end photo forum. One of the newest members Gobs, last night used the term "hobbyist" I like that, thumbsup.gif and in my opinion that is what this forum should be aimed at... but not to preclude better photographers.

People now have the choice of using their own What I see thread and post what they like (within forum rules of course) That way whether the more professional contributors or the more amatuer photograghers can please themselves, and providing they keep posting it will not drop to the bottom of the board!

Back when i started around here we were playing ABC games, if I remember...facepalm.gif It's come a long way since then... it's gone through many different themes and many that have died too.

Ron and I are discussing some other ideas, which we'll put forward in the next day or two...maybe three!

We can never be "all things to all people" but we'll try and do our best. wink.png

I wish this rather old fashioned forum software could accommodate a profile page with a photo album which compiles all of our posted photos in a beautiful and easily navigated format. They do it on more modern social media platforms and it is much more beautiful and popular than what we have here.

Actually in previous versions of the InVision forum software there were features that would enable members to have their own photo galleries and even personal blogs.

I know... because I had both!

Unfortunately these features were dropped in later updates for the InVision software as it was considered (by InVision, not by ThaiVisa) that there were plenty of other web-based packages around that catered for these.

Why not join the several members who have started their own "Daily life in Thailand and what I see..."

and why should we? coffee1.gif

Win thumbsup.gif

C'mon Colonel... I for one would love to see more of your photos.

wink.png

Win thumbsup.gif

wink.png

Hi Jai Dee,

Great to have you back with us wai.gif

I wish I could help, but, the threads are closing down thick and fast and nowhere to post them sad.png like I used to post. The only option given to us now is the (Daily life in Thailand and what I see...") Sorry, but that is not my style, as I have already have my own web-site which I pay for $23.00 per year for up-to 1000 mbs. coffee1.gif Coming up to 1,500,000 viewers :w00t:

I like to interact with others members photos to show our faithful members, the full views, not only mine, but all others as well.

This meaning I will not Hog the front page of this once great forum. So No Photos of mine until they open and leave my Original Poster threads alone.

On top of that with all of these closed topics, there was no mention of any gratitude to the Original Poster nor that to our faithful members that took part in them. A simple Thank You would have been very nice. wink.png

I, Thank you for your involvement Jai Dee, in this most delicate and urgent need for help in this forum.

Win

P.S. I hope they leave the Song thread alone as Neil Young is on there. Also, music is part of Arts. smile.png

Actually in previous versions of the InVision forum software there were features that would enable members to have their own photo galleries and even personal blogs.

Unfortunately these features were dropped in later updates for the InVision software as it was considered (by InVision, not by ThaiVisa) that there were plenty of other web-based packages around that catered for these.

A big Very Thank You for your post wai.gifJai Dee as I remember those great days. We had a ball of a time. clap2.gif

Win thumbsup.gif

P.S. I hope they leave the Song thread alone as Neil Young is on there. Also, music is part of Arts. smile.png

But, but we are in the general ( and not colonel wink.png ) title which is :

" Thailand Photography and Video Forum "

I don't see anything else , no sculpture, no music, no dance, nothing else than photo and video..wai.gif

I had both as well but they weren't very good when compared to other platforms. When they first shut it down promising a software upgrade I was hopeful but they never brought it back.

Win thumbsup.gif

wink.png

Hi Jai Dee,

Great to have you back with us wai.gif

I wish I could help, but, the threads are closing down thick and fast and nowhere to post them sad.png like I used to post. The only option given to us now is the (Daily life in Thailand and what I see...") Sorry, but that is not my style, as I have already have my own web-site which I pay for $23.00 per year for up-to 1000 mbs. coffee1.gif Coming up to 1,500,000 viewers w00t.gif

I like to interact with others members photos to show our faithful members, the full views, not only mine, but all others as well.

This meaning I will not Hog the front page of this once great forum. So No Photos of mine until they open and leave my Original Poster threads alone.

On top of that with all of these closed topics, there was no mention of any gratitude to the Original Poster nor that to our faithful members that took part in them. A simple Thank You would have been very nice. wink.png

I, Thank you for your involvement Jai Dee, in this most delicate and urgent need for help in this forum.

Win

Personally I would vote for the song thread to be closed. A selection of faded pop songs, linked usually extremely tenuously with a selection of mainly mediocre images. Neither photography nor the arts.

"No mention of gratitude" smacks of a petulant fifteen year old; surely you are more mature and constructive than that Colonel?

But, but we are in the general ( and not colonel wink.png ) title which is :

" Thailand Photography and Video Forum "

I don't see anything else , no sculpture, no music, no dance, nothing else than photo and video..wai.gif

I am I the

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/84-photography-and-the-arts/

Win thumbsup.gif

Personally I would vote for the song thread to be closed. A selection of faded pop songs, linked usually extremely tenuously with a selection of mainly mediocre images. Neither photography nor the arts.

"No mention of gratitude" smacks of a petulant fifteen year old; surely you are more mature and constructive than that Colonel?

Your choice.

Should the Red brigade being Global or Local wish to do so it is not up to you, as you have already fractured this forum rabbit.

No, I was born up to say Thank you and Thank you for your post. At least I did that blink.png the reds did NOT say anything.

Win facepalm.gif

No one cares what someone did years ago. It is all about what you have done recently. Good grief, even George is gone, and the forum is trying to move along with the times. I have had old topics of mine closed but never shed a tear over it. Once you post something on a forum like this, you no longer have any control.

Closed topics can still be viewed,. we will leave a link to the new heading...

Some though have a lot of images missing which makes it tedious to go through and view. It's also tedious for Ron or I to go through and delete the missing links which were once images...

All we are doing is placing some topics that have either run their course or just to cut down with the endless number of topics, which was the main input I received back from a large amount of members...

Everyone had a chance to do that and have their say ...

There is no reason to not discuss images under the new topics headings... or in the What I see (WIS) sections that every member can set up for themselves...

The only thing we ask there, is not to add photos to someone's WIS thread, unless perhaps it has some relevance to a discussion between members..

If Kan Wan wants to keep the Music Picture thread there is no problems with that... Keep the music going KW..... up to you! tongue.png

Ron started to do the Best of the Month images today...there is a bit of catching up to do there, that is something we'll work on... based on likes.

As things evolve, some other changes may take place over a period of time.... If members wish to make more constructive suggestions, please do so...

Keep in mind, whatever is done, we will probably not please everyone, we do realise we'll never please all of the people all of the time... but will try to please most! wink.png

If TVF does come up with a new posting format, perhaps we can do things differently.?

Jim

So WIS from now on, means what I see... (your own thread with your screen name) ... It's time everyone has a WIS !! whistling.gif

Well, now I'm tempted to open my own WIS rolleyes.gif

Please, Jimmy, may I call it: "Gobs... WIS through traditional B&W" ?

And am I allowed to elaborate a bit along with the pics if I'm in the mood to do so ?

Cheers,

Ray

Archived