Photo Forum Makeover!

Well, now I'm tempted to open my own WIS rolleyes.gif

Please, Jimmy, may I call it: "Gobs... WIS through traditional B&W" ?

And am I allowed to elaborate a bit along with the pics if I'm in the mood to do so ?

Cheers,

Ray

Hi Ray, as they saying goes here in Thailand " Up to you" tongue.png

You can elaborate all you like, it might also help others by you giving details. wink.png

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This meaning I will not Hog the front page of this once great forum. So No Photos of mine until they open and leave my Original Poster threads alone.

On top of that with all of these closed topics, there was no mention of any gratitude to the Original Poster nor that to our faithful members that took part in them. A simple Thank You would have been very nice. wink.png

Colonel,

Just because you were the OP of some of those closed threads should not make you distressed.

A lot of people have helped develop and drive this forum to where it is today... too many to name, but yourself, Taiwais, Oilinki, Shaggy etc.. etc... etc... all helped in getting the forum to where it is now.

Times change... and trends change... look, the monthly photograph competition is now sponsored too... with real rewards, not just a simple Thank You.

(Congratulations by the way to this months winners.)

Real sponsorship because the photo forum is getting more recognition and more views both from forum members and guests.

Colonel, I want to see what you see and have recorded... you've always taken very beautiful photos in Kanch.

C'mon... start your own WIS.

A bit more info on the posted photos would be nice. I see some interesting shots, and I'd like to know the camera, lens or something about the set up (without trying to dig into EXIF data). A short comment on what the photographer was trying to achieve would be nice too.

, ....and I'd like to know the camera, lens or something about the set up (without trying to dig into EXIF data). A short comment on what the photographer was trying to achieve would be nice too.

Sometimes I do like that, sometimes, I don't; but you are right;clap2.gif

for example the night shots, if the posters, and I'm in , could give some informations from their EXIF, here on the forum it should be more interesting for all of us .wai.gif

As a newbie here I thinks it's difficult to know where to post photos. There's too many overlapping threads, often with diffuse or way to specific names. There's even a thread called Trees (!). Why not a more general thread with the name "nature" (that includes trees, snakes, birds, etc.). And what does "traditional street photography" mean? I understand the need to separate street photography from pictures of streets and pictures of people, but it doesn't look like that's being done. And maybe photos of sunsets and sunrises should fall under the more general term "Landscape"?

Fewer threads with less specific names would be my suggestion.

Exif-data and camera used: Personally, I can't see the point. But if I want to know something about a picture, I'll ask. As a tourist in Thailand I often want to know where a picture of a scene I like is taken, things like that). smile.png

(And I probably should exuse my poor grammar. It's been a long time since I've written much in English. Guess that will improve after a while).

As a newbie here I thinks it's difficult to know where to post photos. There's too many overlapping threads, often with diffuse or way to specific names. There's even a thread called Trees (!). Why not a more general thread with the name "nature" (that includes trees, snakes, birds, etc.). And what does "traditional street photography" mean? I understand the need to separate street photography from pictures of streets and pictures of people, but it doesn't look like that's being done. And maybe photos of sunsets and sunrises should fall under the more general term "Landscape"?

Fewer threads with less specific names would be my suggestion.

Exif-data and camera used: Personally, I can't see the point. But if I want to know something about a picture, I'll ask. As a tourist in Thailand I often want to know where a picture of a scene I like is taken, things like that). smile.png

(And I probably should exuse my poor grammar. It's been a long time since I've written much in English. Guess that will improve after a while).

You should see the list of ideas Ron and I have and the ideas put forth already mostly by PM's ... w00t.giffacepalm.gif but it's needs to be done slowly, as some resist too much change all in one go! .... but that is what we are aiming to do with some threads... others will be left alone!

Appreciate the comments, Torbus and stay tuned ... but it may take a while but we'll be working on it!... in the meantime muddle through as best you can ! wink.png

In which direction will these ideas take the forum Jim?

May I make a suggestion?.......well I'm going to anyway!

What I think would be better for the forum,is that people should start taking photos of what they enjoy and not just snapping shots to fill threads!

I got caught out doing this my wife (thankfully).Was in our town one day,trying to get some shots of motorbikes,trucks,pick ups....just so I had something

to post in the threads.My wife was with me at the time,and said to me ' I didn't know you were interested in those things'.........That's when the penny dropped,

I wasn't interested in those things....so why the hell was I taking photos of them?

Shoot what you enjoy........not just to fill threads!!!

Maybe tomorrow you will have some trucks ( my ancient job in Europe, so I continue to like, to love trucks ) and cars and pickup shots;

since about a week I don't shoot anything aprt a few photos of my dogs ;

It's also why I don't post anything in my thread, my line ;

I always shoot what I like wai.gif

In which direction will these ideas take the forum Jim?

May I make a suggestion?.......well I'm going to anyway!

What I think would be better for the forum,is that people should start taking photos of what they enjoy and not just snapping shots to fill threads!

I got caught out doing this my wife (thankfully).Was in our town one day,trying to get some shots of motorbikes,trucks,pick ups....just so I had something

to post in the threads.My wife was with me at the time,and said to me ' I didn't know you were interested in those things'.........That's when the penny dropped,

I wasn't interested in those things....so why the hell was I taking photos of them?

Yes, I can't disagree with that at all.. Shaggy, It did get to the point of filling threads, but I think that is starting to change.... I've've noticed that and sometimes "less is more"

Generally I think many images from people is better and perhaps more thought out before going into posting...

Ron asked me, today, about one of the new threads not getting much attention, (Markets and Shops etc) but perhaps that's good? ... it is not getting filled for the sake of it!

Ultimately the direction of the forum is up to what and how people participate... we can always try to " lead people to water, but we cannot make them drink"

I have always believed the direction of the forum is to show "Life in Thailand"

If the direction needs changing to suit, then we will just need to do that... It may just take a little experimentation to see how things evolve.

• 3 weeks later...

Would be nice if members renamed their threads from "X's Daily life in Thailand and what I see" to something more fitting for their personal thread.

Have a bit of creativity, "Shaggy's Issan" for example.

Break out of the mold/mould.

I can make the titles up for you all if your stuck of ideas.

Not having a dig or anything, far from it, how abour "Jimbo's Samui Paradise?"

Has a better ring to it IMO

Would be nice if members renamed their threads from "X's Daily life in Thailand and what I see" to something more fitting for their personal thread.

Have a bit of creativity, "Shaggy's Issan" for example.

Break out of the mold/mould.

I can make the titles up for you all if your stuck of ideas.

Not having a dig or anything, far from it, how abour "Jimbo's Samui Paradise?"

Has a better ring to it IMO

Well, we sort of got stuck with "What I see" I always thought it should be "What I saw".... but see is what we got stuck with... Nothing wrong with Shaggy's Issan thumbsup.gif

Once a thread title is made, it's not good to change it, as it screws up internal things, and google too! Minor changes can be made if done soon after a "title" is made..

Sometimes I do get off Samui, so that would create another thread, which is what we are trying to avoid as much as we can. I think we should leave as is...

My power was out all day yesterday, I had hoped to set up a couple of new threads..and eliminate a few that over (Ron also had internet problems, so we have to do what we can, when we can! )

Going to leave here, just in case power goes off again!

I kind a agree with Rhythmworx's comment,but that is not the reason I chose to give my thread a different title.The reason I didn't opt for what I see-saw,was because I am not a full time

resident of Thailand and they are not daily pictures that I am posting.

What this forum does need,is more photographers! Seems to of died down to a faithful few,most of who are staying to their own threads!

Some though have a lot of images missing which makes it tedious to go through and view. It's also tedious for Ron or I to go through and delete the missing links which were once images...

Ohh dear,

It only takes a few minutes to Close Threads, and yet too tedious to delete missing in action photos blink.png

Well, what are you doing then, both of you, clean up your act, like I did cleaning up the threads when

I was a mod, by the way. coffee1.gif

Win facepalm.gif

Some though have a lot of images missing which makes it tedious to go through and view. It's also tedious for Ron or I to go through and delete the missing links which were once images...

Ohh dear,

It only takes a few minutes to Close Threads, and yet too tedious to delete missing in action photos blink.png

Well, what are you doing then, both of you, clean up your act, like I did cleaning up the threads when

Win facepalm.gif

With all due respect Win, many members said there were too many threads, it was just a nightmare to find sometime the one, one was looking for. It was done for that reason, and when time permits, we may do more... More goes on behind the scenes than anyone would imagine... PM's etc etc.

I went back to day dot on this forum, a few days ago, to just look at the earlier days, and hardly saw many images posted, it was chit chat mostly and a lot of very poor images.

When I joined we were playing Alphabet games.... it all evolves..... Several members too have really improved their photography skills ....and we hope learn from each other with the technical skills needed to produce good quality images.

The WIS threads are doing well and we hope that will expand into new and some old members joining in...thumbsup.gif

Currently the big issue is images are not sizing the way people are posting, that has been a lot of back and forth to try and get that resolved.

Things change! Jim wai2.gif

The Image sizing issue! facepalm.gif

Tech support and a few others have spent hours, trying to resolve the image sizing issue.... Tech doc, seems it might be an issue, coming from Flickr or Picasa... although I find it strange that it would be an issue with both of them at the same time. ... and why with only some images???

All I can say is we've spent hours on this, with no definite solution, (yet) as to why some images are showing at 800 x, and not 1024 x as has been the case in the past.

I have experimented uploading extra large images (2048 x) to see what happens, they seem to all come out at 800x .... if we can find a way to get them posting at 1024x we'd all be happy campers...

It's going to be on going to try and find a solution.... let's hope back to normal soon! wink.png

Ohh dear,

Win facepalm.gif

Colonel,

As an ex-mod you would know the frustrations of moderation whilst trying to improve the forum.

Comments on moderation like yours above are not in any way helpful nor positive.

They are also against Forum Rules (which you should already know).

Please let the guys get on with the job and be positive, not negative.

I know how much hard work they are putting into this forum, especially on the image sizing issue.

The new management of TV is not only trying to technically resolve the issue, but are preparing to roll out a new version on the software that should improve the forum experience even more.

So... give the guys a fair go please.

wai.gif

The Image sizing issue! facepalm.gif

Tech support and a few others have spent hours, trying to resolve the image sizing issue.... Tech doc, seems it might be an issue, coming from Flickr or Picasa... although I find it strange that it would be an issue with both of them at the same time. ... and why with only some images???

All I can say is we've spent hours on this, with no definite solution, (yet) as to why some images are showing at 800 x, and not 1024 x as has been the case in the past.

I have experimented uploading extra large images (2048 x) to see what happens, they seem to all come out at 800x .... if we can find a way to get them posting at 1024x we'd all be happy campers...

It's going to be on going to try and find a solution.... let's hope back to normal soon! wink.png

We need some help and input from members over this issue..... as said hours have been spent try to sort it.... with no result.

It's not consistent either.... which makes it even more difficult to pin point the cause.

Could you please take a moment, and post how and what method you are uploading ...

1. Which web browser you use, Explorer, Chrome, Firefox, Opera, or other.

2 Do you use a Flickr or Picasa account. or other upload service. (Drop box etc)

3. Also what size do you resize images to, 1024x or 800.... x

It may help the tech guys, if we could have some answers... so please take a minute or two to respond! wai.gif

I always resize my photos into a folder on my desktop prior to uploading. That way whether I am uploading to FaceBook, Google, TVF or elsewhere, the sizing has already been done and everything remains pretty consistent except for the algorithms used by the various sites to save bandwidth.

Not that I am posting photos at the moment; but I never uploaded images. From Flickr, I choose the share option, then select the "BBcode" as shown in the example at the bottom. Paste that code into the post and the image is linked from Flickr. Never had an issue with it (and I did describe how to do this some months ago). No need for Flickr users to EVER upload an image to TV.

Mac OS

Firefox

And this is what the code displays:

26948592974_8980b5617e_b.jpgLeica M3 by Spike Tennyson, on Flickr

post-152667-0-88955300-1466178137_thumb.

Not that I am posting photos at the moment; but I never uploaded images. From Flickr, I choose the share option, then select the "BBcode" as shown in the example at the bottom. Paste that code into the post and the image is linked from Flickr. Never had an issue with it (and I did describe how to do this some months ago). No need for Flickr users to EVER upload an image to TV.

Mac OS

Firefox

Can only get flickr to show me this.

post-140056-0-89556600-1466331104_thumb.

And post this, https://www.flickr.c...2/shares/79yp82

Ron

Mac OS

Firefox

Got it.

27766307225_fabcbc23b7_b.jpg

DSC04438 by Ron Cochrane, on Flickr

Archived