How much dowry/sin sot are you supposed to pay for your wife's hand?

Looking at the 22 million + jewellery some thai cosmetic surgeon for his wife to be

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/916188-thai-cosmetic-surgeon-to-marry-a-girl-he-treated-after-handing-over-22-million-baht-dowry/

And the 5 million for this gay couple

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/915884-englishman-pays-five-million-baht-dowry-as-he-marries-thai-man-he-met-on-facebook/page-12

How do you calculate the dowry you have to give. I know the sky's the limit and no one is going to complain if you give too much but what's the minimum? Does the wife's family status/her social status/age/job etc factor in?

To those that are already married. how much did you pay?

Do you pay more if she's a hi so and less if she's a bar girl?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The way I understand it is,if she's young ,pretty no kids ,Supposely A virgin then it could mean a lot of baht and quite a bit of gold.

Not sure how much money 1-10 million baht maybe.The richer her family they want to see the bride get big money.

If she's in her early 40's never married even if her family is wealthy then it goes down considerably cause of her age.

This is just my understanding.

My ex-Thai wife has a sister who seems to get married every few years to fund the family with sin-sod from gullable westerners . If your bar girl wants money - move to the next one, there's plenty. She's working there for a reason - probably to fund her children and family - tell her you will help the family over time - if that does not work move on. Married before - pay zero, kids - pay zero, little education pay little. But as others say, if she is from a rich family, a virgin, etc - price can skyrocket ! My wife is not from a bar - she is a teacher with many years and qualification, she owns rubber plantations and fruit farms, etc but she was married before and had 2 kids - I paid zero. Please note : not putting down bar girls here - I have known many and had great relationships with some - most wanted to marry me, but none wanted sinsod. Since poster of this post does not give a reasonable breakdown of the his intended it is impossible to give a guesstimate.

Here is something that will answer most of your questions:

"Thailand Fever"

a roadmap for thai-western relationships (in Thai and English)

Web: thailandfever.com

ISBN 1-887521-48-8

Good luck ,- you'll most certainly need it :)

I paid bugger-all because 1) I'm a pensioner and I don't have that sort of cash to throw around and 2) I disagree strongly with the dowry system. Personal thing.

After two failed marriages, I was happy to continue as we were after living together for a couple of years, but if I'd died she wouldn't have received my pension. Made sense to marry so that she'd be covered. If she'd demanded I pay a dowry too I'd have just carried on as we were. She never even mentioned it and we've been happily married for seven years now.

An Englishman paid 5 millions the other day for more than a hand, to secure his love to another man, so use this

as measuring stick.....

Wouldn't want to touch the measuring stick of either one of them.

Sin sod, of course is a cultural phenomenon; it appears an age-old show of bravado and good intent—ideally, the groom shows his willingness to offload countless valuables for the fair maiden; then the bride's parents return the valuables and maybe even more to the newlyweds to ensure her being well taken care of and their fruitful future together. Yeah, and what if . . . .

The more youth, greater beauty, superior virtue, better education, and richer parents the bride possesses are supposed to ensure more sin sod. Women with baggage, kids, mileage, little education, and no assets—other than serving as a receptacle—are discounted accordingly.

A meeting of two cultures should be a compromise; unless one is willing to forego their culture to adopt the other's.

Consequently, if you want to pay sin sod; go for it. I can't escape the thought it is anything other than a bar fine.

It is a negotiable situation and depends on the means of the people involved... traditionally, each family involved appointed a representative to negotiate for them so as the 2 families would not have to have a confrontational situation...

My 20 year old nephew who has nothing - paid 40,000 baht for his young, never married bride...

Another older fellow in the village, just paid 1 MM baht for his bride...

These are all Thai and Thai marriages... [no farang was brutally robbed or persecuted in these customary transactions]

This is the 21st century. Is it not? Fancy buying a wife... Human trafficking I put it under.... I have had the opportunity to marry but stopped short on this B S sin sod rubbish....

Old proverb...Why buy a book when one can join the library...violin.gif

I went to the home of an ex before and the parents were asking for sin sod ,they kept saying Thai culture ,I said if they respect mine I will theres ,agreed ,then they said they wanted 1 million,and they wanted to have big party and 300 guests ,I said ok ,you now have to pay for marriage and party and a dowry of 1 million . They didn't want to respect my culture,a week later I single ,I pity the next man in her life

just rent the vagina. trust me on this, and rent everything else in thailand. advice i wish i had heard when i moved here 10 years ago.

Totally agree ,cheaper and less problems ,but there are good girls who want good a man just stay away from the parents ( parasites)

This subject seems to get people all worked up. Those who need a definitive answer just aren’t going to get it. It all depends on the people involved and what they want. I didn’t pay anything but that is a little bit unusual and as they say my wife in different.biggrin.png

This is a very easy calculation and the answer should always be zero. Such customs have no place in the world today. My wife agrees with me, although we do support her aged father with a small amount every month which I don't mind.

My two cents... I wasn't very comfortable with the concept although did want to respect tradition. My wife is the youngest of three girls. The older two are married to Thai guys, one paid 100,000, one paid 200,000. I paid 200,000 and my wife offered to pay half but I said no. I hear stories of people paying none which I think is ok in some cases. I hear stories of people paying 1 million + which personally I think is way too much and maybe a little bit ego driven. I think its more important to respect the parents with something, then look after them in their old age just like your own parents, if they need it.

Archived