Rayong DLT Info

longball53098

To anyone that may be headed to the Rayong DLT for a driver license renewal. Went there today with the wife for her 5 years motorbike renewal. Got there just after lunch break ended and she was informed to come back another day as they only will process 120 renewals a day and it would be best to show early in the morning period to get in the 120 max queue.

I do not know if that includes auto also or just motorbikes.

To anyone that may be headed to the Rayong DLT for a driver license renewal. Went there today with the wife for her 5 years motorbike renewal. Got there just after lunch break ended and she was informed to come back another day as they only will process 120 renewals a day and it would be best to show early in the morning period to get in the 120 max queue.

Just did it recently. Takes a day. I did post a desciption of my day but honestly can't remember what thread I posted in.

Maybe a search would find it.

Arrive at 8,30 and you will be almost at the back of the queue.

Just did it recently. Takes a day. I did post a desciption of my day but honestly can't remember what thread I posted in.

Found your post and sounds like you nailed it. Here is the post link: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/908143-driving-license-renewal/?p=10711507

Yep. Did the 5 year renewal last September. Thankfully, someone informed me to go early. Arrived 08:00am, and was out again at 11:00. Queues obviously increasing..blink.png

Yep. Did the 5 year renewal last September. Thankfully, someone informed me to go early. Arrived 08:00am, and was out again at 11:00. Queues obviously increasing..blink.png

Must have been 120 plus by 8,30 and more arriving.

Wife finished at 1530 hours includes the 1 hour lunch break. She told me she was number 120 and they let one more person after her. They apparently process 2 groups of 60 for the eye and reaction testing then the same 2 groups do the video and such.

So done deal for her but very hot long day for a simple renewal of a driver license. There must be a better more efficient way to do this.

Better to go to the DLT in Kleang (about 50km East of Rayong). Many fewer people and much less hassle, but it helps to go with a Thai speaker. Renewals are usually done in less than a couple of hours.

Better to go to the DLT in Kleang (about 50km East of Rayong). Many fewer people and much less hassle, but it helps to go with a Thai speaker. Renewals are usually done in less than a couple of hours.

Can you show a Google map location of this office? Are there other offices in Rayong?

Can you show a Google map location of this office? Are there other offices in Rayong?

The entrance on Street View:

https://www.google.co.th/maps/@12.7888435,101.6342564,3a,75y,305.93h,81.89t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sPaGNeEIwd7RZdZ_iT10OeQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

The tank truck hides the official sign tongue.png

• 4 weeks later...

What papers are needed at the Klaeng office? I will be moving about 15 KM from there today. Chak Phong. From USA, have drivers license, IDP, letter from embassy, will they copy necessary pages of passport, or do I have to furnish? Any place close to get Medical certificate? Appreciate any help you can give me>

My advice would be to make the usual copies of things yourself and carry more than the needed stuff. This Klaeng DLT office is more or less remote from town and as I have never been there cannot say if they have the usual copy shops and other services next to the DLT. Maybe someone who has been there can give direct knowledge. As I recall if you are applying for both motorbike and auto you need to double up on all documents as they treat each license as a separate thing.

I believe if you need a med cert that any clinic can do the paper just tell them its for a driver license

My advice would be to make the usual copies of things yourself and carry more than the needed stuff. This Klaeng DLT office is more or less remote from town and as I have never been there cannot say if they have the usual copy shops and other services next to the DLT. Maybe someone who has been there can give direct knowledge. As I recall if you are applying for both motorbike and auto you need to double up on all documents as they treat each license as a separate thing.

I believe if you need a med cert that any clinic can do the paper just tell them its for a driver license

You will also need a residence certificate from Imm' in the area, one for each license, or work permit.

Non Imm' visa, O or B.

"Turn around" and see the 'farang" sitting under the sun umbrella waiting for his photocopies.

Nevertheless: a good idea to prepare it at home if you have the equipment.

This would be the first Thai office where there are not half a dozen "service points" in the vicinity biggrin.png

Quite sure more such at the district office close by.

https://goo.gl/maps/ruRWiqXPeqT2

post-99794-0-36334400-1465445896_thumb.j

You will also need a residence certificate from Imm' in the area, one for each license, or work permit.

Non Imm' visa, O or B.

went to Klaeng DLT today, to get my first drivers license, smooth as silk, had resident certificate from US Embassy, but they also wanted blue book and ID of owner where I was staying, which I didn't have, wife made a call to one of the locals and he talked to lady at the counter, no problem, just had to verify address. Total took about two hours, color test reaction test periperhal vision test. Cost 305 baht for license, stopped in town for Medical, 50 Baht. Not too bad.

• 1 year later...

I am making a update to this topic to let anyone know of the very pleasant experience I had yesterday at the DLT Klaeng, Rayong office.

Wife and I went there to renew my driver licenses both auto and moto. I had read this old topic and took the chance to do even though I am coming from across the province in Phala, Ban Chang. The drive in morning left home about 0830 took about one and half hours (slow driving) used GPS to follow and took me directly to the office about 3 or 4 minutes off Sukumvit. Drove in the lot and parking easy as not too busy.

Signs on door indicate drivers license on 2nd floor in Thai & English. Went in and got to the offices and greeted at counter 1 with a nice woman that immediately spoke good English to ask us what we wanted. She went on to demonstrate how much she could converse and went over in detail what I needed and what I did not need in the pack of copies I had presented. My wife ended up going out to get 2 copies of my departure card I had forgotten. I used my Yellow book and copies as proof of address so no need for Res Cert from immigration. She clipped the 2 sets of documents for each license along with my expired cards and said we can sit and wait for the eye and reaction tests. 30 seconds after sitting another staff called me up to a adjacent space next to the chairs for the gas pedal/brake reaction test, the color blind chart test and the peripheral vision check and the depth perception test. All passed sit again. Another few minutes called up to counter 2 for document check and signature and then payment of the fees for the 2 licenses. 555B auto 305B moto.Sit again for a bit then in to a room for the video and driver training and safety. They said 1 hour. New video has English sub titles. Out of the 25 or so people in the room I was the only foreigner and about half actually watched the video. Before the end the staff called most back out for the photo shoot. I was in the last group called out. Never watched the entire video. Seems they use the video as a way to try to keep you busy while they process the paperwork.

Back out to the main room and sit in que for the photo. Photo done and wait for the cards. 
Cards completed examine for correct info.

Time elapsed in at 1000 and out by 1135. Very efficient and easy. If I had gone to the main office in Rayong city we would have to be there by 0730 and hope to make the first que for the morning group. And much more uncomfortable. In this case we had a nice drive to Klaeng and the office is much nicer and comfortable atmosphere and people. I did see about 10 other foreigners there so I was not alone. My wife helped a bit but I could definitely have completed this without her assistance as the office staff can explain all that is needed.

Side note on using the yellow book as proof of address is they will still use your passport number as the ID on the drivers licenses. I do have a new pink ID to go with the yellow book and I asked why not use the ID number for the drivers ID and the staff explained that the pink ID is a local ID not to be used for country wide use so they cannot use on the drivers card. I was accepting of this reason as my wife agreed that the back of the pink ID explains to be used in the local Amphur only. So it would seem the pink ID has limited uses.

I think I covered all the bases on the DLT Klaeng.

Bottom line is I would use this office again as the need arises as they can do it all and much more relaxed atmosphere here in Klaeng. If you don't mind a longer drive across the province it's worth it. I would rather drive the extra distance in AC comfort.

Archived