BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

British Benz driver sought after fatal Chiang Mai smash

I bet when they find him, he will not be allowed to refuse breath test, or refuse to go to a police station.

He will get banged up straight away, no bail nothing.

He did wrong so should be punished.

Now we will see the 2 tier Thai system working.

Lets hope so, people need to learn not to flee from accidents, bail is something most people get if they have a good insurance. I got bail bond on mine. But I would not flee from an accident.

But strange your not condemning him for fleeing an accident most foreigners would do so if the guy was Thai. Are you are a Brit too by any chance and is that the reason why you don't think its bad that he runs from an accident ?

I don't care who someone is Thai Dutch, Brit.. whatever.. you just don't flee an accident.

I am condemning him for fleeing, i stated he did wrong, in my book that is condemning him.

I don't know if anyone's already posted this thought up yet or not but, <deleted> how do we know that the named Brit was even driving the car at the time of the reported accident? Second perhaps the car was stolen and the driver perhaps wasn't the reported infamous "Brit."

Hurrah - good post!! I was just about to point out this possibility. Find the guy and also check if the car is registered in his name for a start!

The fella may well be guilty but Mercs and passports are both valuable items. Just saying.

^ The Thai Visa Judges have already found him to guilty of "reckless driving , Drunk driving and fleeing the scene of an accident " and they have already pronounced that the crash was entirely his fault and that he needs to face the full punishment for his actions............it really doesnt matter if his car may have been stolen and he wasnt driving

^ The Thai Visa Judges have already found him to guilty of "reckless driving , Drunk driving and fleeing the scene of an accident " and they have already pronounced that the crash was entirely his fault and that he needs to face the full punishment for his actions............it really doesnt matter if his car may have been stolen and he wasnt driving

I only find him guilty of being irresponsible.

He did misplace his passport...

Would love to see these same considerations when a Thai drives on after an accident. I remember how the comments are then they are far worse than what we see here.

Would love to see these same considerations when a Thai drives on after an accident. I remember how the comments are then they are far worse than what we see here.

From me you would, Yes,

I tend to make decisions on facts, rather than just what I think may have happened .

I also do not differentiate between Thais and Foreigners

It looks to me like a lot of people are jumping to conclusions here ! Obviously a burmese stole the passport from an english tourist, then stole a nearby Merc, and hurtled off into the night, like they do :) The englishman is probably rogering his maid, like they do, completely oblivious to the fact that his passport is missing and lots of people are saying nasty things about him :(

Amazing amount of benefit of the doubt being awarded to the car owner.

Of course the fact that they can't find him doesn't raise any suspicions whatsover.

I don't blame him for leaving the scene to sober up, much better to be done for leaving the scene of an accident and paying your way out of it than being done for drunk driving, invalidated insurance, etc.

Nothing a Thai wouldn't do in a blink.

No doubt he'll be the nasty farang for doing it though.

P.S. This is not a moral judgement, simply a legal and financial one.

He is probably dead 500-750 meters from the crash site.

It looks to me like a lot of people are jumping to conclusions here ! Obviously a burmese stole the passport from an english tourist, then stole a nearby Merc, and hurtled off into the night, like they do smile.png The englishman is probably rogering his maid, like they do, completely oblivious to the fact that his passport is missing and lots of people are saying nasty things about him sad.png

No one has said that is what happened .

Some people have just said that because his passport was found in the car, that doesnt necessarily mean that he was driving, which is a fair point

See fleeing the scene of a crime is not only a Thai thing Brits do it too. Need to keep a link to this page when people start bashing the Thais.

No indication in this story who was at fault.

No indication as far as I can see that this Brit was driving...

I keep at all times a copy of my Passport with up-to-date 90 day report copy, both in the Pickup and in the car, the Pickup at this moment has just left Champon going to Ranong, and I am on my PC 50 odd km north west of BKK..

You're texting whilst riding? Pillion I hope.......

What a mess.

Really sad for the two people killed, but does indicate that they were not constrained, perhaps even in the back, tray area. This is a problem for Thailand. Ultimately it has to be outlawed that anyone can travel in a motor vehicle (trucks and buses included) unconstrained. That is if they want to do something about reducing the crazy road toll.

However if they prefer to continue the way they are currently, then do nothing!

Looks like the Isuzu was rear ended as stated, interesting to see how it folded in the middle. Given a separate chassis I would not expect to see that, but maybe that is due to my old school thinking. . . .

See fleeing the scene of a crime is not only a Thai thing Brits do it too. Need to keep a link to this page when people start bashing the Thais.

i think its more like monkey see monkey do, he most likely wouldnt have taken off if he was in britain

During my nine years living here I've read of thousands of Thais fleeing the scene of an accident. Now one farang, who happens to be a Brit, has done it the rosey specs brigade are creaming their pants. "Nine years of hovering now we've got one!"

...apologize.....make up a pathetic excuse....and he should be fine...???

A real possibility is that : It was not his fault...but he never would expect to be believed or have justice served

...and after reading countless stories of how 'justice only seems to be meted out against foreigners'.....I would not blame him.....

...car accidents...drug possession....

...Thais....apology..... foreigners...pay millions....jail...even death sentences...

...this is really getting out of hand....