British Benz driver sought after fatal Chiang Mai smash

webfact

I bet when they find him, he will not be allowed to refuse breath test, or refuse to go to a police station.

He will get banged up straight away, no bail nothing.

He did wrong so should be punished.

Now we will see the 2 tier Thai system working.

Lets hope so, people need to learn not to flee from accidents, bail is something most people get if they have a good insurance. I got bail bond on mine. But I would not flee from an accident.

But strange your not condemning him for fleeing an accident most foreigners would do so if the guy was Thai. Are you are a Brit too by any chance and is that the reason why you don't think its bad that he runs from an accident ?

I don't care who someone is Thai Dutch, Brit.. whatever.. you just don't flee an accident.

I don't believe the "stunned" idea.He ran in panic after he saw what he had done(rear end collisions are the fault on the driver in the rear).and was "getting the hell out of Dodge",giving him timed to make up some story about the car being stolen or ,he loaned it to an acquaintance that he just met and forgot his name..Any way he is toast.

You did see the pic of the car he/she/they was/were in?

NjpUs24nCQKx5e1EaDsl6eNVEhXeQSMUgZubgCsl

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

See fleeing the scene of a crime is not only a Thai thing Brits do it too. Need to keep a link to this page when people start bashing the Thais.

No indication in this story who was at fault.

It says the Benz rear ended the pick up....that would put the Benz at fault.

What if the pick-up was reversing down the motorway without lights on because they missed their turning off ?

See fleeing the scene of a crime is not only a Thai thing Brits do it too. Need to keep a link to this page when people start bashing the Thais.

Where I come from.... you rear-end the guy in front of you..... more than nine times out of ten.... it's YOUR fault.. Only the other guys fault if he puts his vehicle in reverse and backs up... ramming you.

Following too closely for the conditions..... not paying attention..... etc.... your fault if you ram the guy in front of you.. even if he slams his breaks on to avoid a kid who runs out into the street from between parked cars... ... etc...

I bet when they find him, he will not be allowed to refuse breath test, or refuse to go to a police station.

Lets hope so, people need to learn not to flee from accidents, bail is something most people get if they have a good insurance. I got bail bond on mine. But I would not flee from an accident.

But strange your not condemning him for fleeing an accident most foreigners would do so if the guy was Thai. Are you are a Brit too by any chance and is that the reason why you don't think its bad that he runs from an accident ?

I don't care who someone is Thai Dutch, Brit.. whatever.. you just don't flee an accident.

I don't believe the "stunned" idea.He ran in panic after he saw what he had done(rear end collisions are the fault on the driver in the rear).and was "getting the hell out of Dodge",giving him timed to make up some story about the car being stolen or ,he loaned it to an acquaintance that he just met and forgot his name..Any way he is toast.

You did see the pic of the car he/she was in?

NjpUs24nCQKx5e1EaDsl6eNVEhXeQSMUgZubgCsl

That would have to be the first Benz that I have seen with what looks like a racing bucket seat on the front. The wheels are not Mercedes wheels either.

If I was him I would keep running and don't look back.theyve already convicted him and got a noose hanging very high up.they will throw the book at him and make an example of this tourist scum.it will take the heat for all of the other merc killers of late.maybe Mercedes brakes need a recall or they should restrict the power to 60km/h.looks like the Isuzu was thrown into the air by the force of the impact.

If the Mercedes rear ended the pick up then the Mercedes driver is in the wrong 100%. I don't see why you say there is no indication of who is at fault.

On the other side of the story the two women in the back of the pick up who died only reinforces the danger of riding in the back like they did. Tragic for them to die like that. Condolences to their families.

As for the Mercedes driver I don't care what his nationality is, lock him up for a minimum of 30 years. He is the first Brit I have heard of running from the scene of an accident. If he did that back home he would be heavily sentenced as he should be

One possibility, the pickup with no lights on pulled out of a soi or other road, going extremely slowly, as i have witnessed many times. In fact i would be surprised if that was not the case.

But i was not there and hopefully the facts will come to light.

to many bitter foreigners on this page, they will find something to bitch about no matter what !!

Do you know WHY drivers flee the scene of an accident here?

They flee to escape the mob which would surely form very quickly. This mob would be made up of a bunch of uneducated morons who would probably beat the survivor to death regardless of who caused the accident. The mob don't care who it is, they do this to Thais all the time - this is why people 'do a runner' regardless of who's fault it is.

Imagine this guy driving along a major road at 60 KM/h when a drunken idiot with unsecured passengers sitting in the back of the pick up (illegal ?) wearing no seat belts pulls out in front of him, perhaps crossing 2 lanes because he wants to do a u-turn without even looking.

This kind of thing happens every single day. They will for sure try to blame the foreigner as he probably has a good insurance package.

If passengers in the back of a pick up die in an accident the driver should be charged with manslaughter.

They will hang him high for this.my advice is to keep on running and don't look back as you'll only see a noose waiting.they will make him the scape goat to take the heat off the other merc crashes of late.he was more than likely pissed and speeding so it's goodbye matey and if you're lucky you might get out to draw your pension.ps there's no monk n temple stuff for farang only big payouts and monkey how for him.i keep asking myself why do people want a car that's designed for German autobahns in Thailand.

Why were the 2 ladies sitting in the back of the truck ? It's not a legitimate passenger's sitting area...

Sitting inside and buckled up would probably have saved their lives.

Why were the 2 ladies sitting in the back of the truck ? It's not a legitimate passenger's sitting area...

I tried to make that argument once for what if I hit someone who is not wearing a helmet, the reply I got here on the forum was that I hit them so I was responsible no matter what. Because if I had not hit him he would not have fallen and needed the helmet. Guess the same can be said here.

Personally I believe stuff like that should be taken into account too. I know that where I come from they always look at everything and take those kinds of things into consideration too.

What you call 'Thai Bashing' is just they way Thai's live and prosper. They deserve any and all criticism they receive.

Must confess I had a narrow escape once when an old pickup with no lights appeared in front of me doing about 10mph..sad.png

Whether the rear lights of the Pajero were on is indeed a factor to consider in this tragic accident.

I am condemning him for fleeing, i stated he did wrong, in my book that is condemning him.

I don't know if anyone's already posted this thought up yet or not but, <deleted> how do we know that the named Brit was even driving the car at the time of the reported accident? Second perhaps the car was stolen and the driver perhaps wasn't the reported infamous "Brit."

Hurrah - good post!! I was just about to point out this possibility. Find the guy and also check if the car is registered in his name for a start!

The fella may well be guilty but Mercs and passports are both valuable items. Just saying.

My passport is kept in my Benz. Just happens to be most convenient location to store it.

It says the Benz rear ended the pick up....that would put the Benz at fault.

Not necessarily, the pickup could have suddenly drove out from a tiny side road directly into his path and within his stopping distance. The result would be absolute carnage even if he was going the correct speed limit and with no alcohol or drugs involved.

People do this all the time, they join a major road without even looking to see what's coming. That's why they die every day - they're dumb as stumps.

I tried to make that argument once for what if I hit someone who is not wearing a helmet, the reply I got here on the forum was that I hit them so I was responsible no matter what. Because if I had not hit him he would not have fallen and needed the helmet. Guess the same can be said here.

Personally I believe stuff like that should be taken into account too. I know that where I come from they always look at everything and take those kinds of things into consideration too.

The very first piece of advice I was given about driving in Thailand was - "if you are driving anything other than a motorbike and hit a motorbike, it's your fault 100%"

The second piece was "if you are on a motorbike and hit another motorbike it's your fault - if you were not in the country it never would have happened!'

Where did the article state the two ladies were sat in the back of the pickup? They were thrown out of the pickup as it flipped and rolled. Perhaps as no other occupants were mentioned they were driver and passenger.

If I ever have a crash where a Thai or anone else for that matter is seriously injured or dead I will 100% drive away or 'flee the scene' - unless the police are there already like at a major junction where they control the traffic lights. I would be sure to grab my dash cam before I left and of course my passport would be safely at home where it belongs.

Best to escape with your life before the mob arrive, the legal implications can be sorted out after.

Not Brit thing but a Farang that's been living too damn long here and has gone "native," adopting the local way of life.

A report that indicates two people are DEAD, and a Brit has fled the scene. Some posters are now turning into a Thai bashing thread!

If Brits get injured in fight they started there is a huge uproar. If Brits kill two Thais, well nobody even thinks about how that affects the victims and their families. Just come up with excuses to blame the Thais.

It wasn't the Brit runners fault you claim. It was because Thailand did it to him? Gone "native because he has lived to damn long here"

The Brits are only about 3% of the total tourist number to Thailand, but they seem to be featured often in the bad local news stories.

And to the posters who are harping on about special treatment by the police only for rich Thais. Complete BS.

Rich farangs can also get/buy/compensate their way out.

I doubt this Benz driver/runner will do time for this. It will cost though.

Archived