British Benz driver sought after fatal Chiang Mai smash

webfact

So many people jumping to conclusions without knowing what actually happened.

Were the pickup's lights working?

Was the Benz driver drunk? What speed was he doing? Why did he leave the scene of the accident?

Were the women sitting in the back of the pickup?

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A report that indicates two people are DEAD, and a Brit has fled the scene. Some posters are now turning into a Thai bashing thread!

No one is " Thai bashing" and this whole thread certainly isnt Thai bashing, someone merely stated that fleeing crashes is quite common in Thailand , stop over reacting

the legal implications can be sorted out after.

One of many reasons foreigners come to live in Thailand. In most 'home countries/nanny-states' that is certainly not the case.

You need to run so you don't get murdered by the locals who will see the two dead people lying on the road and immediately blame whoever was driving the Mercedes just because it's a Mercedes and is capable of going faster than most cars.

I can't make it any clearer than that. If he stayed around he would almost certainly have been beaten to death by an unruly mob.

I've had first hand accounts of this happening from a Thai who knocked a stupid old woman over after she ran across the road in front of a truck. This idiot made it past the truck but the motorbike on the other side of the truck hit her (I knew the person driving the motorbike) - of course the pedestrian didn't know the motorbike was there as she didn't look at the oncoming traffic long enough to ascertain what vehicles were coming in her direction which she couldn't see as they were on the other side of the truck, instead of waiting she decided to make a run for it - remember this is an old woman we're talking about.

A small mob gathered and were ready to beat the crap out of her, they were very threatening even though it clearly wasn't her fault, all they see is an old lady lying in the road and limping to the side with minor injuries.

Now if two people are dead and a foreigner is involved multiply that by 1000 and you have an idea of what would happen.

I bet when they find him, he will not be allowed to refuse breath test, or refuse to go to a police station.

He will get banged up straight away, no bail nothing.

He did wrong so should be punished.

Now we will see the 2 tier Thai system working.

Or not perhaps.

By the way, submitting to a breath test is not something that anyone can be forced to do, a refusal is a right anyone has. There are consequences though as has been very well demonstrated by the charges made against the Thai recently involved in a 2 death accident.

Can't believe the nonsense and speculation being written in news and on TV about this! All that appears "certain" is that an Isuzu pickup and a Benz were in a collision on the CM Doi Saket Road (a large quite well lit straight one!) and that sadly two people were killed. From there on all is fantasy until there are facts. Personally I cannot see how a Benz rear ending a pickup would result in the pictures we have; nor can I see how, unless in severe shock, someone would "flee the scene" and leave a passport behind, assuming it was theirs!

I wonder if the farang can just say "sorry" and join the monkhood so that all is forgotten and forgiven ...

That seems to work for the rich Thai Benz driver ....

It is only those who cannot read what is actually being done with "the rich Thai Benz driver" that think that and then post those thoughts.

One of many reasons foreigners come to live in Thailand. In most 'home countries/nanny-states' that is certainly not the case.

You need to run so you don't get murdered by the locals who will see the two dead people lying on the road and immediately blame whoever was driving the Mercedes just because it's a Mercedes and is capable of going faster than most cars.

I can't make it any clearer than that. If he stayed around he would almost certainly have been beaten to death by an unruly mob.

I've had first hand accounts of this happening from a Thai who knocked a stupid old woman over after she ran across the road in front of a truck. This idiot made it past the truck but the motorbike on the other side of the truck hit her (I knew the person driving the motorbike) - of course the pedestrian didn't know the motorbike was there as she didn't look at the oncoming traffic long enough to ascertain what vehicles were coming in her direction which she couldn't see as they were on the other side of the truck, instead of waiting she decided to make a run for it - remember this is an old woman we're talking about.

A small mob gathered and were ready to beat the crap out of her, they were very threatening even though it clearly wasn't her fault, all they see is an old lady lying in the road and limping to the side with minor injuries.

Now if two people are dead and a foreigner is involved multiply that by 1000 and you have an idea of what would happen.

I understood your original post

"whoever was driving the Mercedes just because it's a Mercedes" one of many reasons I have never owned a Mercedes is that it carries a stigma.

For several years I did drive a black BMW and was made aware daily of the stigma that it also attracted.

In Thailand you are what your drive, in the eyes of most Thais; driving a Mercedes/BMW/ Ferrari et al indicates that you are wealthy and [probably] 'connected'.

Sadly that also implies that you are above the law.

...apologize.....make up a pathetic excuse....and he should be fine...???

A real possibility is that : It was not his fault...but he never would expect to be believed or have justice served

...and after reading countless stories of how 'justice only seems to be meted out against foreigners'.....I would not blame him.....

...car accidents...drug possession....

...Thais....apology..... foreigners...pay millions....jail...even death sentences...

...this is really getting out of hand....

...as are your barely intelligible posts.

See fleeing the scene of a crime is not only a Thai thing Brits do it too. Need to keep a link to this page when people start bashing the Thais.

No indication in this story who was at fault.

Not surprised to see you the first to post when a Briton is involved to exercise that chip on your shoulder.

On the contrary, thisi s a "balanced" view, he has a chip on BOTH shoulders

You did see the pic of the car he/she was in?

NjpUs24nCQKx5e1EaDsl6eNVEhXeQSMUgZubgCsl

That would have to be the first Benz that I have seen with what looks like a racing bucket seat on the front. The wheels are not Mercedes wheels either.

Looks pretty much like this Mercedes Benz C-Class. Even the rims looks same:

http://blog.mercedes-benzsouthwest.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Mercedes-Benz-C-Class-Coupe-C-220-CDI-BlueEFFICIENCY-sleek-lines.jpg

http://blog.mercedes-benzsouthwest.co.uk/?p=490

Replacing seats seems pretty common to me in Thailand, at least among the people I know.

I understood your original post

"whoever was driving the Mercedes just because it's a Mercedes" one of many reasons I have never owned a Mercedes is that it carries a stigma.

For several years I did drive a black BMW and was made aware daily of the stigma that it also attracted.

In Thailand you are what your drive, in the eyes of most Thais; driving a Mercedes/BMW/ Ferrari et al indicates that you are wealthy and [probably] 'connected'.

Sadly that also implies that you are above the law.

In Holland it is said that Mercedes is the favourite Turkish taxi, and a BMW is the favourite car for the Moroccan criminals.

Stigma, quite so.

Could someone have really escaped from the Benz? And then what - fled on foot? Seems hard to believe. By looking at the photo and considering the Benz was found on its side in a ditch..... Has anyone successfully viewed the video? I cant get it to open on any of my devices. Maybe the server is overloaded from traffic...

Could someone have really escaped from the Benz? And then what - fled on foot? Seems hard to believe. By looking at the photo and considering the Benz was found on its side in a ditch..... Has anyone successfully viewed the video? I cant get it to open on any of my devices. Maybe the server is overloaded from traffic...

Could someone have really escaped from the Benz? And then what - fled on foot? Seems hard to believe. By looking at the photo and considering the Benz was found on its side in a ditch.....

That's what I was thinking, maybe they ought to be checking near by hospitals. They guy's gotta be in rough shape where ever he is.

Could someone have really escaped from the Benz? And then what - fled on foot? Seems hard to believe. By looking at the photo and considering the Benz was found on its side in a ditch.....

That's what I was thinking, maybe they ought to be checking near by hospitals. They guy's gotta be in rough shape where ever he is.

Theres also the possibility that he may have been taken somewhere and killed

Judging from the condition of the pick-up truck the Benz must have been really flying low. What is with the drivers here Thai or Expat they can not drive the speed limit and not drive drunk ??

RIP the two Ladies killed by this IDIOT, he should know better, from the UK should not be semi literate but rather educated !!

as a Brit he should have know better not to flee the scene of an accident, both a crime in the States and i suspect in the UK as well. your responsibility is to summoned aid. because Thais do this or that is a bad argument. two wrongs do not make a right. as expats and or tourist "guest" in this country we have an obligation to set an example and to do the right thing, it makes us all look bad. regardless of fault he should turn himself in. it will be just a matter of time before the police find him anyway. his name and passport number and photo is registered and so is his residence. possible DUI, wreck less driving and manslaughter. no excuse.

Turn off Active X filtering in your Browser and the Video will play.

I have no idea how anybody would run far away from that wreckage.

I'm sure he was drinking but did not want to stick around for a breathalizer

You cannot be "sure" that he was drinking, what you mean is that theres the possibility that he may have been drinking and I think that he probably was , but you cannot be sure of this , its just what you think may be the case

Did he manage to walk , run away from this ?

He could have gone to hospital . NjpUs24nCQKx5e1EaDsl6eNVEhXeQSMUgZubgCsl

When I was 18, was driving a mark 3 Cortina, an idiot overtook ahead of me and never stopped, got hit head on, my engine ended up in the car with me , steering wheel went through the roof, I luckily escaped with just a broken ankle and cuts and bruises. Modern cars are a lot more protective of the driver and cabin

I bet when they find him, he will not be allowed to refuse breath test, or refuse to go to a police station.

He will get banged up straight away, no bail nothing.

He did wrong so should be punished.

Now we will see the 2 tier Thai system working.

Lets hope so, people need to learn not to flee from accidents, bail is something most people get if they have a good insurance. I got bail bond on mine. But I would not flee from an accident.

But strange your not condemning him for fleeing an accident most foreigners would do so if the guy was Thai. Are you are a Brit too by any chance and is that the reason why you don't think its bad that he runs from an accident ?

I don't care who someone is Thai Dutch, Brit.. whatever.. you just don't flee an accident.

if possible after an accident it is in many instances best to get the hell out of there weather you are at fault or not. things get nasty and you need to get to a police station as soon as possible.

I investigated traffic accidents for several years in the US and I can tell you there are so many scenarios as to how this could have happened that speculation is impossible. there is not enough information to determine the cause or why the 'driver' left the scene. Pictures, measurements and interviews of witnesses will be part of the investigation. Looking at the

Benz picture I can tell immediately whoever was driving it was going way too fast for both conditions and safety. The rest is just a guess until more information comes in. RIP to the decease and their families regardless of fault.

Archived