British Benz driver sought after fatal Chiang Mai smash

webfact

I wonder if the farang can just say "sorry" and join the monkhood so that all is forgotten and forgiven ...

That seems to work for the rich Thai Benz driver ....

It is only those who cannot read what is actually being done with "the rich Thai Benz driver" that think that and then post those thoughts.

So the actress didn't get off with a envelope and community service for killing the cop?? I know they are talking about the other case not the 17 yr old that killed 9 or the red Bull guy etc.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Merc must have been travelling at quite a speed,to rear end and flip the pick up,

2 people are dead RIP,so lets hope they catch him soon and throw the full extent of

the law at him.

regards worgeordie

Or perhaps the truck was traveling at extremely slow speed and had no tail lights. Also, a passport at the scene of a crime does not make the owner guilty. I think it would be best to wait until we have more info before we string him up.

Who knows the exact details of this accident and whether the driver was under the influence of alchohol or drugs. Because we all know this is the main reason for doing a runner. However, following the Hua Hin attack on a family and other cases I think I would be petrified of getting a beating from others involved. I will stick to no more than pushing a trolley round the Big C.

Not much chance the two dead ladies are going to give you a beating. Who else was around...looking at the photos ..probably no-one at the time.

Perhaps some local CM members know the area? Likely to be a lot of people around at that time at that location?

Friends...it's easy to sit behind a keyboard and be judge, jury and executioner; but I can tell you from personal experience that you will not know how you will respond to this kind of situation until it happens to you first hand.

Back in the early '80's I lived full time in Manila, Philippines, and I leased a brand new Mercedes with driver on a one year contract. It was Christmas eve and I had given my driver a few days off, so I drove myself down to the red light district where I drank till the wee hours of the morning, picked up two hookers and headed back to my condo. I exited the freeway at a high rate of speed and t-boned a small Ford that had run a stop sign. I can't tell you how many times that little car turned in circles and all I could see was smoke everywhere. My two ladies flew up and hit the windshield, but that Mercedes held together like a Sherman tank. I can tell you that my first instinct was self-preservation because I was immediately overcome by FUD...fear, uncertainty and doubt.

I grabbed my beers, my ID's and went running down a small street as fast as I could to escape the carnage, jumped in a cab and headed straight to another of my favorite bars. There I picked up another hooker and a returned to my condo by taxi. The next morning when I awoke I was still drunk, so I called the rental company and reported that my Mercedes has been stolen from the parking garage during the night and I had no idea where it was. At the time I thought I was really being shrewd. Later on that day I sobered up, came to my senses and called them back to report the truth, headed straight to the police station to admit my guilt and take full responsibility for my actions.

As it turned out nobody was hurt and there were two bank executives in the Ford who were also drunk and admitted to running the stop sign, so they refused to press charges against me. I paid the police a few hundred Pesos to make it all go away, the Mercedes was repaired by the company's insurance and all turned out for the good. That marked the beginning of the end for me of years of being alcoholic, and to this day I haven't had a drink in 26 years.

Point being...no matter how moral you think you are, until it happens to you, don't even think you'll have a clue what to do under those circumstances when there's drugs or alcohol involved.

What happened in the 'lost' ten years between the 'accident' and you stopping drinking?

2016 - 26 =1990

Were the two hookers ok?

Good to see you had your priorities right...grab the beers and runthumbsup.gif and grab another girl.

What part of Oz are you from?biggrin.png

I will wait until he is caught. It is possible I suppose that the Merc had been pinched, hence the 'fleerer' left the passport because he didn't know it was there or it was a good distraction.

Let's wait and see.

The cops ought to be able to nail this guy (if it is him) as it is unlikely the Merc was your bog standard hire car. So he is a resident or something similar I would have thought.

probably going to get a lawyer to say he was 100 miles away at the time...then pay money and plea it down to something.

it's like running home to get drunk after you crashed your car and you were drunk driving but it wasn't proven......

we are all 99% sure he was driving and it's his fault...

i can't guarantee I wouldn't be scared as well......BUT people died, and that should really, really change your conscious.

See fleeing the scene of a crime is not only a Thai thing Brits do it too. Need to keep a link to this page when people start bashing the Thais.

No indication in this story who was at fault.

What you call 'Thai Bashing' is just they way Thai's live and prosper. They deserve any and all criticism they receive.

Pretty broad all encompassing statement. Wonder how many TVF rules that has broken?

I bet when they find him, he will not be allowed to refuse breath test, or refuse to go to a police station.

He will get banged up straight away, no bail nothing.

He did wrong so should be punished.

Now we will see the 2 tier Thai system working.

Lets hope so, people need to learn not to flee from accidents, bail is something most people get if they have a good insurance. I got bail bond on mine. But I would not flee from an accident.

But strange your not condemning him for fleeing an accident most foreigners would do so if the guy was Thai. Are you are a Brit too by any chance and is that the reason why you don't think its bad that he runs from an accident ?

I don't care who someone is Thai Dutch, Brit.. whatever.. you just don't flee an accident.

A quick trip to the Wat, a few weeks in poverty a wai and all is forgiven "Thai Dutch or Brit" because he was driving a MB.

That remark is getting rather repetitive now

Judging from the condition of the pick-up truck the Benz must have been really flying low. What is with the drivers here Thai or Expat they can not drive the speed limit and not drive drunk ??

RIP the two Ladies killed by this IDIOT, he should know better, from the UK should not be semi literate but rather educated !!

And what evidence to have to support this particular hypothesis?

Many of the Brits who come to Thailand do not, in my humble opinion, fit the description of rather educated!

We may assume he is a tourist - if not the required accommodation report should lead the police to his domicile rather smartly.

If he is a tourist - then all bets are off as to his educational prowess.

i leave a copy of my passport in my car ..think i will take that out as other people drive my car i live on that road and drive a benz its amazing how many messages ive had today about this ...

Good point about the passport, most people on here seem to drive a Benz or Porche so need to be careful.

If the 2 women didn't sit in the back of the pick-up truck, they wouldn't have been killed. In Thailand it is officially forbidden to carry anyone in the back of the pick-up truck. But who cares ???

So also prosecute the driver of the pick-up truck !!!

Say it how it is. He probably fled the scene because he was drunk and wanted to give himself time to sober up.

Will be appearing at a police station near you claiming that he was "in shock", especially now the papers have said it.

I think you have tunnel vision and have a very narrow field of view.

Reasons why this man would leave the scene of an accident.

Yes, he was over the alcohol limit. He was high on drugs. He was on visa overstay. The accident was his fault and does not want to face the consequences. He was just scared and decided to do a runner. He`s a fugitive criminal from his own country, He is all ready wanted for criminal activities in Thailand and I could go on.

I am hoping the injured, the deceased, their families and all involved in this tragedy receive justice, considering this man has ruin the lives of many people and probably his own.

See fleeing the scene of a crime is not only a Thai thing Brits do it too. Need to keep a link to this page when people start bashing the Thais.

No indication as far as I can see that this Brit was driving...

I keep at all times a copy of my Passport with up-to-date 90 day report copy, both in the Pickup and in the car, the Pickup at this moment has just left Champon going to Ranong, and I am on my PC 50 odd km north west of BKK..

All depends. He could be single, or his wife may not have a license. A simple check of his last phone calls (sim card is in his name), could place him outside the home, at a distance far enough away that it would be quite obvious. A simple verification by a neighbor that they seen him get in the car, that day, would be enough.

Leaving the passport was not very smart. He could of flew out, but now he will be found, and faced with extra charges. Just using his atm or credit card will narrow down his location.

If you are going to leave the scene, you might as well leave the country.

Leaving the scene means not assisting the injured....and may be the cause of their death (no immediate medical help). He will not be able to handle the guilt....unless of course, he has no conscience. Does it really matter who is at fault? Would you leave injured people on the road, and not assist, or even call for help?

Must confess I had a narrow escape once when an old pickup with no lights appeared in front of me doing about 10mph..sad.png

This truck flipped several times, and the passengers were thrown out.

Probably not going 10 mph.....

More likely, both vehicles were tooling along...possibly the truck cut him off. (Not saying he was at fault).... Seen more Thai drivers speeding, than going slow.

If I ever have a crash where a Thai or anone else for that matter is seriously injured or dead I will 100% drive away or 'flee the scene' - unless the police are there already like at a major junction where they control the traffic lights. I would be sure to grab my dash cam before I left and of course my passport would be safely at home where it belongs.

Best to escape with your life before the mob arrive, the legal implications can be sorted out after.

Are a lot of people killed every year by mobs in Thailand?

If the 2 women didn't sit in the back of the pick-up truck, they wouldn't have been killed. In Thailand it is officially forbidden to carry anyone in the back of the pick-up truck. But who cares ???

So also prosecute the driver of the pick-up truck !!!

What leads you to believe they were sitting in the back of the pickup truck? If they were, then who was driving the pickup and who was the passenger, that they had to sit in the back?

If I ever have a crash where a Thai or anone else for that matter is seriously injured or dead I will 100% drive away or 'flee the scene' - unless the police are there already like at a major junction where they control the traffic lights. I would be sure to grab my dash cam before I left and of course my passport would be safely at home where it belongs.

Best to escape with your life before the mob arrive, the legal implications can be sorted out after.

Are a lot of people killed every year by mobs in Thailand?

I don't know how many are killed but a lot of people are beaten badly by mobs. Personally I've never been beaten by a mob and I'd like it to stay that way.

If the iniitial indication was that the Mercedes rear ended the pickup, following which the driver fled the scene, might that not point to the party at fault? Or isn't circumstantial evidence enough to at least point the finger?

Friends...it's easy to sit behind a keyboard and be judge, jury and executioner; but I can tell you from personal experience that you will not know how you will respond to this kind of situation until it happens to you first hand.

Back in the early '80's I lived full time in Manila, Philippines, and I leased a brand new Mercedes with driver on a one year contract. It was Christmas eve and I had given my driver a few days off, so I drove myself down to the red light district where I drank till the wee hours of the morning, picked up two hookers and headed back to my condo. I exited the freeway at a high rate of speed and t-boned a small Ford that had run a stop sign. I can't tell you how many times that little car turned in circles and all I could see was smoke everywhere. My two ladies flew up and hit the windshield, but that Mercedes held together like a Sherman tank. I can tell you that my first instinct was self-preservation because I was immediately overcome by FUD...fear, uncertainty and doubt.

I grabbed my beers, my ID's and went running down a small street as fast as I could to escape the carnage, jumped in a cab and headed straight to another of my favorite bars. There I picked up another hooker and a returned to my condo by taxi. The next morning when I awoke I was still drunk, so I called the rental company and reported that my Mercedes has been stolen from the parking garage during the night and I had no idea where it was. At the time I thought I was really being shrewd. Later on that day I sobered up, came to my senses and called them back to report the truth, headed straight to the police station to admit my guilt and take full responsibility for my actions.

As it turned out nobody was hurt and there were two bank executives in the Ford who were also drunk and admitted to running the stop sign, so they refused to press charges against me. I paid the police a few hundred Pesos to make it all go away, the Mercedes was repaired by the company's insurance and all turned out for the good. That marked the beginning of the end for me of years of being alcoholic, and to this day I haven't had a drink in 26 years.

Point being...no matter how moral you think you are, until it happens to you, don't even think you'll have a clue what to do under those circumstances when there's drugs or alcohol involved.

What happened in the 'lost' ten years between the 'accident' and you stopping drinking?

2016 - 26 =1990

Were the two hookers ok?

Good to see you had your priorities right...grab the beers and runthumbsup.gif and grab another girl.

I think his scenario is best rated fictional. And I actually found the fairies at the bottom of the garden.

Insurance paid out despite all parties being drunk and the Op running off, and then lying to and later retracting his initial version of events to the rental company. Yeah sure . And pigs do fly. I have driven in the Phillipines, and am familiar with the road rules and yes the coppers are corrupt but they do not need the permission of two alleged drunk drivers to charge the Op.

Looking at the impact damage to the Benz , and the pick up rear ended damage its hard to see how the driver left the scene, Can't imagine if he did he got far.... Something doesn't ring true about this story....not a conspiracy just a gut feeling....but a frame up,by police..now that's a conspiracy theory... A Thai did it who's rich and ...fill the blanks...amazing we've got to page 8 and no one has suggested it !! Lol.. And I know I have now !!

2016 - 26 =1990

Were the two hookers ok?

I think his scenario is best rated fictional. And I actually found the fairies at the bottom of the garden.

Insurance paid out despite all parties being drunk and the Op running off, and then lying to and later retracting his initial version of events to the rental company. Yeah sure . And pigs do fly. I have driven in the Phillipines, and am familiar with the road rules and yes the coppers are corrupt but they do not need the permission of two alleged drunk drivers to charge the Op.

I'm ashamed to say it's all true 100% Si Thea01,so I guess you've just seen your first flying pig. In the PHILIPPINES it's all about who you know,and I was very well connected.Sorry to disappoint you by telling the truth.

2016 - 26 =1990

Were the two hookers ok?

I'm ashamed to say it's all true 100% Si Thea01,so I guess you've just seen your first flying pig. In the PHILIPPINES it's all about who you know,and I was very well connected.Sorry to disappoint you by telling the truth.

The penalties for fleeing the scene don't seem very severe in Thailand and you are only deemed drunk, if you refuse a breath test, not if they can't find you.

I had never condoned fleeing the scene of an accident before but one thing that happened to me gave cause for reflection about this. I was once driving on a country road in farming district near Sattahip. In front of me was an old man on a motor bike who suddenly swerves in front of me to turn right into a farm track without looking. Braking as hard as I could, I still could not avoid knocking him off his bike. In the rear view mirror he was lying motionless in the middle of the road, Thinking that he was dead or badly injured and that I could perhaps drive him to hospital, knowing that villagers can't afford Thai ambulances, I immediately went back. Within seconds I was surrounded by a commotion of hostile villagers demanding large amounts of cash. After a few minutes the man was able to stand up and seemed just stunned and bruised but not badly hurt. Several aggressive young men were demanding tens of thousands of baht for medical bills and for repair of the bike but the victim didn't seem to have any injuries that needed medical attention and the only damage to the bike seemed to be a slight graze to the plastic casing of the wing mirror. It took me about half an hour to negotiate them down to 3,000 baht. It ended up just being a scenario where I had fallen into the hands of villagers as a farang windfall and to pay a ransom to get away unharmed. By the end of it I was more shaken up than the old man.

Sadly I concluded I would have been a lot better off fleeing the scene in a country where there is no rule of law.

Archived