British Benz driver sought after fatal Chiang Mai smash

webfact

That was in Thairath as well although they reported the friend was Australian, possibly confusing the two countries.

More likely a Brit and an Aussi as friend as one from my native country. whistling.gif

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any news in this case? Did they catch him or did he pay himself out of trouble?

Something like this should be big news until it gets cleared up, but this story has been swept under the carpet very quickly.

Another case of Amazing Thailand

Is there any evidence to connect the passport discovered in the car to the driver of the car?

I leave my International driving licence under my motorcycle seat, if someone stole my (rented) motorcycle and had an accident would it be my fault?

If I left my Driving licence under the seat when I handed it back, would the next renter get a free pass on any accident?

Just read back a few posts.

It seems the car was borrowed.

Any news in this case? Did they catch him or did he pay himself out of trouble?

Something like this should be big news until it gets cleared up, but this story has been swept under the carpet very quickly.

Another case of Amazing Thailand

Money talks, the Brit has probably paid of the right people. It does not matter if your farang or Thai if you pay enough (and there is no CCTV or public outcry) the problems will go away.

Is there any evidence to connect the passport discovered in the car to the driver of the car?

I leave my International driving licence under my motorcycle seat, if someone stole my (rented) motorcycle and had an accident would it be my fault?

If I left my Driving licence under the seat when I handed it back, would the next renter get a free pass on any accident?

Just read back a few posts.

It seems the car was borrowed.

Then why has he not come forward?

He's legged it or paid his way out, simples.

• 5 months later...
On Monday, May 16, 2016 at 1:40 PM, Chicog said:

I say 2nd passport and a wad of cash gets him out of the country.

If he was drunk he's sober by now.

Someone knows where he has dissapeared to.

Time for that.someone to step up.

Two women are dead.

On 12/05/2016 at 9:37 AM, colinneil said:

I bet when they find him, he will not be allowed to refuse breath test, or refuse to go to a police station.

He will get banged up straight away, no bail nothing.

He did wrong so should be punished.

Now we will see the 2 tier Thai system working.

yup. 

• 3 months later...

In the photo of the Merc....is it just me ? but it looks like it has  been rear ended by a motor bike or has reversed in to a post.

There is not enough detail to make a coherent and accurate assumption of what has actually happened here .....

19 hours ago, lonewolf99 said:

In the photo of the Merc....is it just me ? but it looks like it has  been rear ended by a motor bike or has reversed in to a post.

There is not enough detail to make a coherent and accurate assumption of what has actually happened here .....

It does look like that but to do that much damage to the merc and the pickup he must have been speeding big time. 

Maybe he could come forward and tell us. 

image.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
On May 14, 2559 BE at 2:52 PM, ChrisKC said:

For the benefit of those who believe the farang is always to blame:

I have been involved in only one incident in 13 years. I was stationary on the side of the road having stopped to use my mobile phone. After a few minutes I heard something clunk my car and felt a jolt not dissimilar from having left my car in gear and releasing the pedal. I couldn't immediately see anything but on trying to open my car door saw a motorcycle partially under my car with two young girls lying on the road, very close to the car and obviously injured (no crash helmets). This was on the Canal Road a few miles from Hang Dong so it wasn't long before a crowd gathered.

Someone called the police quickly and an ambulance (no, a songthaew) arrived as well. I learned that two Thai men had seen the incident and claimed I had turned out of a side road and the motorbike couldn't avoid me. This was an outright lie! I was lucky! A car, driven by another farang and his wife, saw what actually happened and stopped. Their evidence as witnesses, together with measurements of everything by the police exonerated us from blame! It turns out that the first rain of the season had created a very slippery road surface after many months build-up of small bits of tyre debris and oil. The motorbike had simply skidded in to the car.

One of the girls was in hospital for about ten days with head injuries but fortunately made a complete recovery. My wife and I visited the hospital a few times to show our obvious concern and this was appreciated by them! The father of one of them was all for wanting something financial from us but the Police waved him on!

Was that the end? No! two days after, we had a phone call from the Police Station to be "interviewed" When we arrived we were surprised that all they wanted was for US to sign a document that WE wouldn't sue them (the girls).

Nice to hear a real story. Much bette than the theories you referred to in your first sentence 

Bet hes kicking himself for carrying that passport now..

And of all things to leave behind--your only ticket outta town..

Cant say i blame him for fleeing as per how things work here...

Not saying it was right--but i understand why...hes screwed....:post-4641-1156693976:

But if hes driving a Benz maybe he can buy his way outta this mess

On 5/12/2016 at 9:35 AM, robblok said:

See fleeing the scene of a crime is not only a Thai thing Brits do it too. Need to keep a link to this page when people start bashing the Thais.

No indication in this story who was at fault.

Perhaps. But did they check the hospital? I certainly wouldn't leave my passport behind if I was doing a runner.

On 5/12/2016 at 9:42 AM, robblok said:

you just don't flee an accident.

You do when you risk being beaten by a mob OR you find a faster way to the hospital than waiting for an ambulance stuck in traffic.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Maybe i am looking in the wrong place but the pic in the opener article with a vehicle nearly broke in half, does not look like a pick-up to me, my apologies if this has been mentioned, but could not be bothered to read through this two year old article, where apparently no one has claim involvement or claimed passport etc.

Off topic but where has my Quote option gone?

Archived