Koh Lanta

amdy2206

Very open topic - never been koh lanta before so any comments about the island including good beaches and hotels with a lively 3 year old boy. Very open q so expect very open replies. Just want a general feeling of the island, nothing more. Going 2nd June.

Winds begin to change then and things start to get pretty quiet as low season approaches.

If the winds have completely switched, the sand at the nice west facing beaches will begin to disappear, keep your fingers crossed for a late low season switch.

Might want to do some research online for accommodations with a pool, worst case beach scenario weatherwise at least you have that to keep the toddler busy.

Yes, seasonal happenings, but laid-back and good beaches. Resorts can be had on or near the beach and with pools from B600--up. The Cheeky Monkey is a good western bar, the Fat Monkey is a good western restaurant, and Flip-Flop Divers is for good diving and tours, and all are open all year. The owners Steve, Will, and Ady respectively, live there and are knowledgeable about anything you want on the island. They all have websites, drop them a line and ask.

I have visited most years for the last 15 years - was there 3 weeks ago.

I was surprised, it was still 'busy' for low season. I always stay on long beach - to me it was the perfect Thai beach, long, yellow sand. Many different bars and BBQ spots on the beach ( in high season )

Not so far to travel to the main town, good accommodation - I find the more south the more Islam-centric and too laid back, too many long haired Thai guys running the places.

You should be able to pick up some bargains - maybe take a bike to look around first.

The weather was still good and the worries about 'the washed away beach' forget it - that happens at the peak of the low season.

As always, I find food too expensive - I live in Hat Yai, If I pay 100B for fried rice, it better be amazing - so searching out the cheaper places - 60B for curry and rice or bland noodles is still 10-20B too much, no biggie but still ..

The national marine park closes on the 1st - not sure if there is an interim period when you can sneak in - maybe worth a day trip to Ko mook but too much for the 3 year old to swim to emerald cave.

One thing that upset me this year - quiet beach resort under the the palm trees - I had some small bags on my balcony ready to be loaded onto bike and some soft luggage loaded on my bike - someone came and stole some bits from balcony and bike and tried stealing GPS from my bike. Low season hits hard here - watch your possessions.

I like Kho Lanta as a weekend escape from Phuket, having been there several times. The sunsets are the best in Thailand, accommodation is not too expensive. Go for a bungalow on or near the beach, not too far down south so you can go for dinner in town. A scooter will take you around the island easily, and there is more to see than monkey schools and orchids farms. Enjoy a quiet time, relax, but do not expect a big nightlife. Evenings on the beach can be enjoyable, and the three days are not as bad as some postings here suggest. Give it a try, chances are that you will like it.

We went to Koh Lanta for the first time last November and absolutely loved it - our favourite island to date. We found it very quiet which was great. As walkers rather than drivers when in Thailand, we found the walking pleasurable. The pavements were wide, not cluttered with motorbikes, trees or advertising boards and generally well paved.

I'm really surprised that people are saying it's expensive. We expected it to be but to be fair, except for coffees we found no real difference from Chiang Mai prices, where we travelled onto next. The closest place to our hotel served the likes of pad thai for 50 baht and the portions were big. We had a seafood meal on the pier at Saladan and it was very cheap and very good.

We stayed at the Maya Koh Lanta Resort in Klong Dao and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. It's situated right on the beach and has a great pool which is ideal if you're taking a child. The beach is gently shelving which again makes it perfect for kids. The furthest south you go, the steeper the shelving in the sea.

Interesting comments. My wife has a friend that she had always said lived in the south. The friend came to see my wife last week and invited us to go and stay, appears she lives on Koh Lanta. I had never heard of it and had to look it up on the map. May take her up on the offer later in the year.

Thanks everyone for your constructive replies about Lanta. Was going Samet but put off by TV posts, then Phuket - once again put off by negativity and unnecessary comments. A great range of sensible comments and opinions given about Lanta. Going Krabi followed by 4/5 days in Lanta. Will report back later. Once again thanks for replies.

Thanks everyone for your constructive replies about Lanta. Was going Samet but put off by TV posts, then Phuket - once again put off by negativity and unnecessary comments. A great range of sensible comments and opinions given about Lanta. Going Krabi followed by 4/5 days in Lanta. Will report back later. Once again thanks for replies.

After you attend to koh Lanta and enjoy your holiday there put koh samet back onto possible list. Its my Thai gf favourite place. And I can see why.

• 2 weeks later...

I was there last November and thought it was a great location. Stayed in Coco Lanta, couldn't fault it. Many other beach bars to wander to for lunch &/or a drink.

200b a day to hire a scooter on empty roads.

Look forward to going back some day.

• 2 years later...

Rather than starting a new topic I thought I would resurrect an old one.

Looking for some advice on a nice hotel c2500 in April.  Any recommendations? Looked on TripAdvisor and Crown Lantana and Lantana Sand and Spa look good. Any thoughts on these or others please?

This is a romantic not family break ????

Thanks in advance, all recommendations appreciated.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
On 10/25/2018 at 10:38 AM, stament said:

Rather than starting a new topic I thought I would resurrect an old one.

Looking for some advice on a nice hotel c2500 in April.  Any recommendations? Looked on TripAdvisor and Crown Lantana and Lantana Sand and Spa look good. Any thoughts on these or others please?

This is a romantic not family break ????

Thanks in advance, all recommendations appreciated.

Hello Stament,

I have a nephew who has booked flights to Thailand in August 2019 and he is thinking about Koh Lanta (but no concrete plans yet)

May l ask how Koh Lanta was during your holiday?

He is late 20's and travelling with his gf and does enjoy snorkeling, kayaking etc.

Thank you for any feedback on Koh Lanta in general.

Hello Stament,
I have a nephew who has booked flights to Thailand in August 2019 and he is thinking about Koh Lanta (but no concrete plans yet)
May l ask how Koh Lanta was during your holiday?
He is late 20's and travelling with his gf and does enjoy snorkeling, kayaking etc.

Thank you for any feedback on Koh Lanta in general.

That’s got to be the middle of the low season. The restaurants and resorts will be mostly closed or running on skeletal staff. I wouldn’t expect too much, but it will be certainly peaceful.

I would do a lot of research and thinking before visiting at that time, visibility will be pretty bad for snorkeling, he might find some boats running, and it’s worth checking to find if the national park is even open. There is usually a little flurry of activity at that time, the university and european holidays, the southern resorts get a few visitors. Your nephew should a cheap bungalow and be amongst some budget backpackers.

I was there before last Songkran, the resorts were really dead, but there were a few people about in the early evening in Sala Dan, the main town. Friends who have resorts were saying there was a lack of long stayers this year, mostly French families who stayed for a week or two. (The French version of survivor was filmed in an island off Lanta).

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 5/8/2019 at 11:05 PM, recom273 said:

That’s got to be the middle of the low season. The restaurants and resorts will be mostly closed or running on skeletal staff. I wouldn’t expect too much, but it will be certainly peaceful.

I would do a lot of research and thinking before visiting at that time, visibility will be pretty bad for snorkeling, he might find some boats running, and it’s worth checking to find if the national park is even open. There is usually a little flurry of activity at that time, the university and european holidays, the southern resorts get a few visitors. Your nephew should a cheap bungalow and be amongst some budget backpackers.

I was there before last Songkran, the resorts were really dead, but there were a few people about in the early evening in Sala Dan, the main town. Friends who have resorts were saying there was a lack of long stayers this year, mostly French families who stayed for a week or two. (The French version of survivor was filmed in an island off Lanta).

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Thank you for taking the time to reply and will bear in mind your feedback.

Thanks again.

Archived