appetite

robblok

Just some fun observations i recently made.

I am what some call a muscle monkey (a certain skinny Irishman on the forum does so). I am quite lean now (after having been fat).

Now a friend and client of mine recently took up fitness / weight lifting to improve on his shape. The guy was certainly skinny not fat at all. He has been doing his best to gain some muscle and certainly is putting effort into it. However its not yet paying off though beginners (those who have never lifted before) should see progress quite fast.

He also not as old as me still in his twenties, we often talk about training now and he asks advice about it. Now it seemed he was doing it all right but nog getting much results as of yet. (ok people don't turn into Arnold overnight).

So we came to the topic of food, he had read he had to eat around 2.700 calories. (if I eat that much I go back to being the fat bastard I was before) So I told him to start at around 2.000 calories. He started to moan about it how hard it was to eat those amounts of food.

I was utterly amazed as I can easily eat 2.000 calories in 3 meals (or double if i so wanted too). I never seem to get really full always a bit hungry. Especially now, as I am trying to get rid of 2 kg I gained when I let down a bit. So now I am at 1.500 cals.

So we were talking I said that now I eat around 2 meals one of those is 5 eggs with 2 pieces of bacon and a bit of cheese (around 600-700 calories depending on the weight of the bacon and cheese). For me this is an easy task and I still feel hungry afterwards (probably because I am only eating 1.500 a day). But he was looking at me like this was an incredible feat of eating.

Now this demonstrates to me that its often not how much someone burns that keeps them lean, but the decreased appetite that some people have. I was shocked as I had not expected to encounter this myself. I had seen this in a BBC documentary where they let kids eat while they played and you saw a difference between kids. Just never realized that it was common. I had always looked at the differences in way of burning (metabolic rate).

So its not all will power that counts.. some people just have a lower appetite as others. How I wish to be the same it would make it much easier. Now if you have like me a larger appetite and you like bad food you will get fat. The only thing you can do is to change the foods you eat and not get fat. I do get full if I eat a lot of broccoli with some sweet potatoes and some chicken.

I still feel people who are 20 kg or more overweight got themselves to thank for it, because this difference in appetite can result in being overweight but if you change your foods you don't have to get fat (overweight sure maybe but not fat).

But i write this just to show those people who think that heavier people are 100% to blame are wrong.. appetite is something that is hard to control and something people are born with. But I draw the line at 20 kg or more overweight.. at that point people are responsible for the choices they themselves made.

Everyone's hormonally different.

That said, as a general rule, counterintuitive to be sure, skinny people tend to eat less because they're skinny and fat people tend to eat more because they're fat. After having been fat, one tends to want to eat more and get fat again. Cf. recent news re: a previous winner in the Biggest Loser show. As always, best is not to get fat in the first place, if possible.

That said, as a general rule, counterintuitive to be sure, skinny people tend to eat less because they're skinny and fat people tend to eat more because they're fat. After having been fat, one tends to want to eat more and get fat again. Cf. recent news re: a previous winner in the Biggest Loser show. As always, best is not to get fat in the first place, if possible.

Agreed best not to get fat in the first place, but I found it funny. He was talking with me how hard it was to eat more and that he was so full after (what i would consider) a small meal. So as a result he was not able to gain muscle mass because to do so you need to eat a bit more as what you burn.

But things like this show why some people have absolutely no problems staying on their weight and others do. (i still don't see it as an excuse to be 20-25 kg overweight). But i can understand the 10-15 kg overweight a lot more.

Genetics just play a large role.

After having been fat, one tends to want to eat more and get fat again. Cf. recent news re: a previous winner in the Biggest Loser show. As always, best is not to get fat in the first place, if possible.

I thought the what happened to these people was that extreme weight loss dramatically screwed up their metabolism to slow down? Due to slowed metabolism, they were bound to get fatter, even if they were not over-eating.

I also read that gastric bypass surgery doesn't seem impact metabolic rate; and this is why these people retain weight loss (smaller intake with same metabolism rate). I've seen 3 or 4 people in my life who had this surgery and it appears to work. They were obviously obese to start with, though.

After having been fat, one tends to want to eat more and get fat again. Cf. recent news re: a previous winner in the Biggest Loser show. As always, best is not to get fat in the first place, if possible.

I thought the what happened to these people was that extreme weight loss dramatically screwed up their metabolism to slow down? Due to slowed metabolism, they were bound to get fatter, even if they were not over-eating.

Yep. Going to such extremes makes things even worse. In the more usual case you find overweight/obese people complaining that they're eating less, and often are, but little or no weight loss follows as their bodies start hoarding calories better. Relates to set points . . . . So tough to get it off.

I also read that gastric bypass surgery doesn't seem impact metabolic rate; and this is why these people retain weight loss (smaller intake with same metabolism rate). I've seen 3 or 4 people in my life who had this surgery and it appears to work. They were obviously obese to start with, though.

Very true. Article in the Scientific American made this point recently:

The only weight loss method that seems to avoid metabolic pitfalls is gastric bypass surgery, Hall said. People who undergo Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery experience a similar dip in metabolic rate along with massive weight loss at the six month point, but after one year they have the expected metabolic rate for their size, rather than the much reduced rate of Biggest Loser contestants, he said.

"It may be that there is something special about bariatric surgery, resetting some set point in the body to not resist the weight loss," he said.

--http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/6-years-after-the-biggest-loser-metabolism-is-slower-and-weightis-back-up/

I'll give him 1 out of 10 for one of the most lacklustre, boring training videos I've ever seen. He certainly didn't attain his competitive physique training like that.

I'll give him 1 out of 10 for one of the most lacklustre, boring training videos I've ever seen. He certainly didn't attain his competitive physique training like that.

Of course not, but he was paid to beef up Sly in a few weeks, which he did...

There's only one way to beef up a person by that much in 7 weeks (if you can believe his story - I don't), and it's not with pissy little DB exercises. You need lots of the right chemicals to do the job.

There's only one way to beef up a person by that much in 7 weeks (if you can believe his story - I don't), and it's not with pissy little DB exercises. You need lots of the right chemicals to do the job.

7 weeks.. quite short, hard to believe anyone can beef up a lot in 7 weeks.. even with chemicals and hard training you need good genes. Of course Stalone must have had some muscle memory too.. still if it was done in 7 weeks.. even with chemicals.. a great feat.

7 weeks.. quite short, hard to believe anyone can beef up a lot in 7 weeks.. even with chemicals and hard training you need good genes. Of course Stalone must have had some muscle memory too.. still if it was done in 7 weeks.. even with chemicals.. a great feat.

I'm calling bs on the story. He's probably hard pressed remembering the details, 31 years ago. I very much doubt Stallone had that little warning about his new movie (1985 - First Blood part 2) and all of a sudden was told to beef up. Muscle memory didn't come into it as he was looking for beef he never had before. Stallone doesn't have the genetic gift for beef. His frame is quite small. He has to work hard and take lots of chemicals to get beef. He gives the illusion of size through being super ripped.

Some guesses of his bodyweight in 1985 were around the 165 lb mark or less at height of about 5' 6" - 5' 7". He's not a big guy. Camera angles and lighting help him a lot in the movies.

My post was regarding the topic, Franco was hired to beef up Sly in a short time, which he did.

Franco is shorter than Sly, 5' 5" but a master of his sport. He and Arnie are great friends and trained together during the competing days. He is now 74 years old..smile.png

I started training the year before Franco took the My Olympia title in 1976, so I'm quite familiar with him and his mate Arnold. smile.png The two of them adorned the front cover of just about every muscle mag those days... but I'm still calling bs on the 7 weeks. Nonsense like that gives the wrong impression about what can be achieved through weight training... and of course there's never any mention of PEDs, which they were well into in the 1980's when Rambo 2 came out... and decades earlier too.

Archived