Foreign ladies sunbathing in undies not happy to have to cover up - but police say it was for their

rooster59

Had the policeman just said you are attracting attention, and we may not be able to protect you as you are in a secluded stop. Pointing out the danger would have been enough instead of offering up a guilt trip. Then again, how much protection and nimble thinking can one expect in a country that seriously underpays its police force ?

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

although I think the women were being a bit insensitive to local mores, does one then have to logically come to the conclusion that most Thai men must therefore regard partially clad women has an invitation to rape?

No invitation to rape but girls like these ones are being perceived as sluts asking to be approached ++.

God help me. Regardless of what you may think most Thai men are not rapists and murderers - but it only takes one to cause a tragedy.

How many times do we see posters so terrified of their own shadows telling others where to go and where not to go in case of trouble and now knocking the policeman for doing exactly the same thing.

The policeman did a good proactive job in advising the ladies of the potential for problems.

If there had been a problem the same posters would be ripping shreds off the police about not doing their job and trying to prevent crime.

This had nothing to do with the Generals comments.

It is just plain good thinking and the cop should be commended for his actions.

Oh, stop with the self-righteous cultural relativity. When I was on Samui in 1987, it was crawling with fully naked European girls all over the place. And topless ones on Phi Phi in 2001. Now the Thais are just engaging in a paroxysm of Dubai-like authoritarianism.

although I think the women were being a bit insensitive to local mores, does one then have to logically come to the conclusion that most Thai men must therefore regard partially clad women has an invitation to rape?

One does not.

Well done policemen! At least we have a picture and can evaluate if geeking would be ok or not.....555555..... no seriously these two chicks have an IQ and EQ of below 80. When you go to a foreign country you look at what the locals do before you take such liberties especially in regards of women exposing themselves. No sympathy whatsoever for these two idiots.

No, just some Thai men, but many if not most Thai men would regard them as loose women.

Also, why ask for trouble when it can avoided? In an ideal world they could do as they please, but we don't live in such a world.

Foreign women can be very rude and inconsiderate.

That makes Thai women more appealing.

not to say that foreign men can't be rude and inconsiderate too.

For instance the photo of young foreign men walking around Bangkok with no shirts on posted earlier this week.

Many have the attitude that own and dominate the world and give no thought to local customs and culture.

It's all Disneyland to them.

...undies or bathing suits....what difference...

...confirmed that foreigners are being stalked wherever they go...

...no matter how discreet they try to be...

...pay a fortune to come here....then be allowed to do 'only as you are told'....

....and of course....pay.pay.pay....

...thank the policeman for informing them they might be molested....raped...or worse.....???

...utter insanity....

Agree...your post is....utter insanity....

The girls were wrong due to it's an offensive custom...

But the copper is implying that Thai men were getting aroused and potential rapists....

Why didn't any of those Thai men go over and tell them their behavior is offensive?

Quite hypocritical....

Oh, stop with the self-righteous cultural relativity. When I was on Samui in 1987, it was crawling with fully naked European girls all over the place. And topless ones on Phi Phi in 2001. Now the Thais are just engaging in a paroxysm of Dubai-like authoritarianism.

and you in cultural imperialism!

"unwrapped candy"

That's from the top voice of authority, pretty much sums it up.

And this is coming from a country with hundreds of thousand of half naked bar girls and street walkers...

did any one said double standards here?......

A "naked bar" is an appropriate place for women who want to expose their bodies to do so.

People who go to those bars expect to see that and are not offended by it.

doing so in a public place where those who do not want to see it are exposed to it, is not appropriate at all.

And this is coming from a country with hundreds of thousand of half naked bar girls and street walkers...

True.. When speaking of a tiny fraction of Thailand. You should get out more.

Yes a stupid comment.

"Half naked"? Not in Pattaya. They are fully naked.

But you don't see even bar girls lying around public parks in Ayuttaya. There are strippers in most countries but it doesn't mean you can strip in public parks or on church grounds.

The cop pulled them up for inappropriate behaiviour and then they were rude to him. He should have arrested them and given them some Thai style attitude adjustment. It sounded like they needed it. Rude western slags.

Last month I had to spend a night in a hotel/resort, near the airport in Bangkok.

There was a young American woman at the pool wearing nothing but a skimpy bra and thong style panties.

She actually pointed out to me that she was wearing underwear and not a bikini.

She laughed and said the really was not much difference.

There was a difference, when wet, she may has well have been naked.

People with children were leaving the pool area as soon as they saw her.

Except for western tourist resort areas, bikinis are pretty rare to see in Thailand.

It is a modest culture.

I am not in favour of girls sunbathing in a public park in their undies, but.....

Well, it is all about the girls, yes?

The policeman warned them because he was afraid the local man might not be able to restrain themselves?

Beg pardon, is that not the same reasoning behind the female coverings favoured by the "religion of peace".

Which is in fact a means to restrict women?

No

True.. When speaking of a tiny fraction of Thailand. You should get out more.

Yes a stupid comment.

"Half naked"? Not in Pattaya. They are fully naked.

But you don't see even bar girls lying around public parks in Ayuttaya. There are strippers in most countries but it doesn't mean you can strip in public parks or on church grounds.

The cop pulled them up for inappropriate behaiviour and then they were rude to him. He should have arrested them and given them some Thai style attitude adjustment. It sounded like they needed it. Rude western slags.

Article says they walked off in a huff. Which of course is exactly how anyone would expect them to react. People don't like being told what to do, especially western females.

This is definitely mountains out mole hills.

Agreed. I think topless sunbathing is frowned upon here also.

Thai society can be quite conservative in some ways I think.

Also, it's not unheard of for young western women to be raped/murdered here. They need to realise that things are very different here to the West. Occasionally we hear of Westerners getting into trouble in places like Dubai, for carrying-on on the beach as if they are in a Mediterranean resort.

I'm with the cops on this one.

(The blonde looks rather comely!thumbsup.gifrolleyes.gif).

Let's be fair for a change??this is Thailand, it is not normal to sunbathe in your bikini in a public park.Girls may do that at home but this is not home.You must accept their rules and respect the culture too.If you don't like it lump it

I have it on the highest authority that it would have been OK if they were fat and ugly?

Seriously, though, given what we read on a daily basis, I think the police officer was absolutely correct.

They shouldn't be sunbathing in their underwear anywhere but a beach or pool. Its not right at Ayutthaya.

And I think he has a duty to protect. If this was a secluded space, they were absolutely putting themselves at risk.

We here a lot about lack of police presence and not protecting tourists and yet when this officer does just that he comes in for criticism.

I say, well done sir.

Let's be fair for a change??this is Thailand, it is not normal to sunbathe in your bikini in a public park.Girls may do that at home but this is not home.You must accept their rules and respect the culture too.If you don't like it lump it

except the policemn wasn't citing "cultural rules" was he? He was suggesting they might be sexually assaulted. Is it part of "Thai culture" that scantily clad women must be "gagging for it"?

Exactly ! On my first trip here, 20 years ago already, the Lonely planet for Thailand recommended not to do this and advised always to adhere to local customs especially around temples and official buildings.

You would think that today, with the internet and all and almost everybody carrying a smart phone, that people are better informed nowadays....yeah right!

Archived